THE BROWNS BOARD

Legalize pot?

DH I imagine you're correct about the popularity going up once its legalized.

I bet a fair amount of people will try it initially but most who are proponents probably already smoked on a regular basis. sure it's illegal but I'm positive I could pick up an ounce within a half hour. I have heard that heroin is becoming more popular recently but unlike weed and beer I don't know any real junkies. I do know some people that are into oxy and that stuff doesn't seem a lot different from the effects of weed.

WSS

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

and, the reality of it all is....

"So what parties might be interested in promoting legalization of marijuana? Perhaps foreign countries that are considering legalization themselves and ultimately feel it might be a valuable cash crop. They might do well to look at the experience of those that have legalized marijuana, and are now rethinking the wisdom of the move, because of the increase in crime. Then there are the domestic users, who no longer want to hide in the shadows. Often the debate on marijuana includes a large number of habitual users.
Lost in the narrative of those who promote marijuana usage are the consequences to society as a whole. Marijuana is known to impair judgment and compromise decision-making. What happens to citizens driving after smoking? What happens when employees show up to work still high? States that have legalized medical marijuana, such as Arizona and Oregon, are still trying to sort out this issue. What are the options for others unwillingly subjected to the stupefying second hand smoke that also is more damaging to cells and DNA than cigarette some? How much will the chances increase that teenagers will enter the drug culture? Studies have found marijuana hinders the development of teenage brains. Where medical marijuana has been approved, it has become clear many without a medical need have received the card.
Drug legalization promoters often prefer to dismiss these arguments, rather than acknowledging their validity. Legalizing marijuana sends our society down a slippery path based upon unfounded premises."

Wait.... I cannot believe I continue to read your posts. I think they might actually make me more stupid by the time I'm done.

Do you honestly think that marijuana smoke is more poisonous than cigarette smoke despite there not being one single study out there that confirms a correlation between pot and cancer? Do you HONESTLY think that cigarettes, with their hundreds of "additives" (Poisons), are not as bad as pot, which is made 100% naturally with no additives?

I mean, honestly, do you believe this? If so then you are so uneducated on this topic you should keep your idiotic opinions to yourself and not spread misinformation, but I know that's asking a lot of you, Cal.

Pot makes you dumber. Lol. Now that is funny. I am a daily smoker of about ten years now and I probably smoke at the most 1-2 cigs a month. I get checkups with the doc and he says my lungs are functioning at an very high level, especially considering that I do not ever work out. I am enrolled in school for computer engineering. The day will come when I put the bong down after college, but until then I think I'll keep up with my 4.0 GPA and stay motivated with my extra curricular activities.

Here is the one thing we agree on: Pot needs to stay out of the hands of children and young teens. I did not smoke it until I was 20 and my brain was mostly developed already. I'm 28 now and I have not noticed one single negative effect from my "drug" (lol) use. Still, kids have NO BUSINESS smoking that shit. There is a time and a place for it: college.

Disagree if you would like, but this is at least an informed opinion, unlike yours.

Also, regarding my post above, I am not a "pot warrior". I would like to see it legalized for the sake of the country even knowing that my days using it are numbered. It may seem like a bias, but I try to take a step back and look at things logically from a perspective besides my own and legalization seems to be the best solution. If legalization came with the catch that I personally am not allowed to use it again I would still be in favor.

Wait.... I cannot believe I continue to read your posts. I think they might actually make me more stupid by the time I'm done.

Do you honestly think that marijuana smoke is more poisonous than cigarette smoke despite there not being one single study out there that confirms a correlation between pot and cancer? Do you HONESTLY think that cigarettes, with their hundreds of "additives" (Poisons), are not as bad as pot, which is made 100% naturally with no additives?

I mean, honestly, do you believe this? If so then you are so uneducated on this topic you should keep your idiotic opinions to yourself and not spread misinformation, but I know that's asking a lot of you, Cal.

Pot makes you dumber. Lol. Now that is funny. I am a daily smoker of about ten years now and I probably smoke at the most 1-2 cigs a month. I get checkups with the doc and he says my lungs are functioning at an very high level, especially considering that I do not ever work out. I am enrolled in school for computer engineering. The day will come when I put the bong down after college, but until then I think I'll keep up with my 4.0 GPA and stay motivated with my extra curricular activities.

Here is the one thing we agree on: Pot needs to stay out of the hands of children and young teens. I did not smoke it until I was 20 and my brain was mostly developed already. I'm 28 now and I have not noticed one single negative effect from my "drug" (lol) use. Still, kids have NO BUSINESS smoking that shit. There is a time and a place for it: college.

Disagree if you would like, but this is at least an informed opinion, unlike yours.

The op-Ed section of "high times" doesn't make you informed, maaaaan.

http://www.lung.org/associations/states/colorado/tobacco/marijuana.html

Hey morons, I stated Pot is safer than cigarettes. I never said it was 100% safe. I also never said it made you cool and was just sharing my personal experiences. You guys lack reading comprehension, maaaaaaaan.

And I was merely reminding you that anecdotal evidence is at the bottom of the pyramid when it comes to realibility & veracity. Be more informed about the word "informed".

do you guys think tobacco ought to be illegal? It easily causes the most preventable deaths of any substance.

I don't think making cigarettes illegal will do much to curb their use. See prohibition.

I couldn't really care about the legality of pot. It doesn't really affect me either way. I grew up.

Actually heart disease kills more people alcohol or drugs. How about making German food hamburgers computers and video games illegal? its for our own good isn't it?

And just think how many lives we would save if the nationwide maximum speed limit was 30!

WSS

More people would die if the speed limit was 30.

Road rage would become the #1 killer of EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think making cigarettes illegal will do much to curb their use. See prohibition.

I couldn't really care about the legality of pot. It doesn't really affect me either way. I grew up.

Sure it will. With all the vaporizers patches and gum out there who's going to grow an illegal tobacco farm and go through all that?

Also "well this shit is terrible and it's legal!" isn't a particularly great argument as to why other bad things should also be legalized.

For me it's not a matter of good or bad it's just the libertarian idea that people should be allowed to be assholes and do stupid shit if they want to. unfortunately in a lot of these situations the public ends up paying for their mistakes.

WSS

Also "well this shit is terrible and it's legal!" isn't a particularly great argument as to why other bad things should also be legalized.

For me it's not a matter of good or bad it's just the libertarian idea that people should be allowed to be assholes and do stupid shit if they want to. unfortunately in a lot of these situations the public ends up paying for their mistakes.

WSS

Bringing up alcohol and tobacco is a good point. If someone thinks weed should be illegal because it is dangerous, then their view point on those other two substances matters because of what I said before.

Actually heart disease kills more people alcohol or drugs. How about making German food hamburgers computers and video games illegal? its for our own good isn't it?

And just think how many lives we would save if the nationwide maximum speed limit was 30!

WSS

Computers and video games?

It may not affect you directly, but it will indirectly. There are plenty of benefits that could spil over into your life

Computers and video games?

Yep.

If in fact the health and well being of the American public is essential to lawmakers, and remembering that heart disease is caused by inactivity to a great degree, then the sedentary activities that people are devoting more and more of their time to should be regulated.

WSS

Yep.

If in fact the health and well being of the American public is essential to lawmakers, and remembering that heart disease is caused by inactivity to a great degree, then the sedentary activities that people are devoting more and more of their time to should be regulated.

WSS

So TV, many forms of work, reading, sitting of any kind, using a car, etc

Yep.

If Congress is serious about legislating good health.

WSS

the only thing Congress is serious about is Congress.

I would hope lawmakers are weighing the cost of law enforcement, incarceration, loss of tax money etc. and weighing it against the cost of law enforcement, health care costs, etc. but I have a sneaking suspicion that, like everything else they decide, they're only weighing which lobby will make the largest campaign contribution and the moral compass of their district.

Archived