THE BROWNS BOARD

LB/DL times

Guest Aloysius

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you pull it or strain it you can pull up as soon as you feel it, which sounds like what Rey Rey did. That's a 2-4 week thing. When you tear it you just drop like some shot you in the back. That's the 4-7 week variety.

Not a lot of fun. And once you do it once, you're more likely to do it again and again. This is why it's one of the injuries that scouts look out for. It lingers over whole seasons, sometimes over whole careers. And it usually means something is wrong with your opposite leg, which was my problem.

Terry Glenn was one guy who had real hammy issues. Or you might remember Robert Edwards after his knee injury - he actually wore a brace on his good knee to try and make it less flexible so as to match the bad knee. Without the brace on the good knee he kept pulling his hamstring on his good leg.

Guest Aloysius

Rey said that he hurt the hammy two weeks ago and hadn't really been doing any running since then. And because he felt the pop, he's worried that he tore something.

But he didn't fall down like you said he would, and he does have a history of overreacting to injuries. So it could be a relatively minor injury.

Curry is the frickin' man. Really can't see him getting past Kansas City at #3.

Start putting negative press out about how KC needs to anchor their Def line before they even think about LB.

Shep, write something up and get it published STAT.

Convince KC they need Raji.

Guest Aloysius

If Raji didn't allegedly have some off the field issues, I'd be somewhat confident that we could get Curry. Now, the only way I can see us getting him is if KC takes Stafford, which I don't see happening.

I've read that the Chiefs really like Eugene Monroe, but why would they take a LT when Branden Albert played so well last year?

Guest Aloysius

Official times:

Aaron Curry - 4.56

Stanley Arnoux - 4.61

Gerald McRath - 4.61

Clay Matthews - 4.67

Jason Phillips - 4.69

Jasper Brinkley - 4.72

Brian Cushing - 4.74

Marcus Freeman - 4.74

Zack Follett - 4.75

Moise Fokou - 4.76

Guest Aloysius

I wonder if Laurinaitis slides out of the 1st Round. Those 4.8 unofficial 40's could be closer to 4.9's, and he didn't look particularly fluid during the LB drills.

Official times:

Aaron Curry - 4.56

Stanley Arnoux - 4.61

Gerald McRath - 4.61

Clay Matthews - 4.67

Jason Phillips - 4.69

Jasper Brinkley - 4.72

Brian Cushing - 4.74

Marcus Freeman - 4.74

Zack Follett - 4.75

Moise Fokou - 4.76

Brinkley came in faster that Cushing? Wow...didn't see that coming. 4.72 isn't bad for a guy known for his hitting. Curry is a beat though. I am still not convinced we are not going to have a shot at him.

I just don't see Detroit going with him at #1. Raji or Stafford make a lot more sense...as does a LT (although they have some issues too). St. Louis may end up going with one of the DE's or LT as well.

I still see KC going Raji...NT is the KEY to the 3-4...and they are the hardest to find. And I am not sure they are going to be sold on the QB position.

As for Seattle...Crabtree still makes the most sense...even with the foot fracture....but if Raji falls here he may be an option.

Matthews is really looking good. Over 10' on the broad jump and a good 40....nice.

I wonder if Laurinaitis slides out of the 1st Round. Those 4.8 unofficial 40's could be closer to 4.9's, and he didn't look particularly fluid during the LB drills.

I think he will slide. And I also think JL is the type of guy who is a "football player". I think his skills are showcased on the field rather than the combine.

I thought he looked horrid; Matthews Jr looked much better....Curry was out of this world

I think he will slide. And I also think JL is the type of guy who is a "football player". I think his skills are showcased on the field rather than the combine.

I agree, he has good football instincts. He will run faster on his pro day at OSU. It is a real fast tract at OSU. He ran 4.6s and 4.7s in spring practice, but Freeman was faster then him there. Got to look at how they play in pads and there game speed. I think combine stats are a bit overrated. some guys look great in shorts but slow down or lose their burst in pads on a grass field.

I agree, he has good football instincts. He will run faster on his pro day at OSU. It is a real fast tract at OSU. He ran 4.6s and 4.7s in spring practice, but Freeman was faster then him there. Got to look at how they play in pads and there game speed. I think combine stats are a bit overrated. some guys look great in shorts but slow down or lose their burst in pads on a grass field.

As long as the game film proves they're good players, I dont put a ton of stock in the combine.

Order of importance to me is:

1. Game film (are they productive, consistent)

2. Interview

3. Medical history

4. Measurables

Guest Aloysius

The problem with us pursuing Matthews is that his only fit in a 3-4 would be at WOLB, which is Wimbley's spot. It's possible that we could move Wimbley to the strongside - I think Jason suggested that in another thread - but that'd leave us with two OLB's significantly smaller than Mangini likes them (6'2-4", 265-270 lbs.).

As for Brinkley, teams have to be wondering why the hell he played at a sluggish 272 lbs. Did he just chunk up while recovering from the knee injury (he was in a wheelchair for 8 weeks), or will weight gain be a recurring issue with him? Seems to be a significant red flag.

And re: Raji - it's hard to tell because his supposed character issues haven't been made public. But if drugs were indeed part of the reason he didn't play in '07, there's no way Pioli takes him at #3, especially when Curry seems like such a safe bet.

Guest Aloysius

Connor Barwin's 3-cone (6.87) and short shuttle (4.18) times are just as impressive as his 40 (4.66). He projects very well to 3-4 OLB.

Larry English's measurables weren't as impressive: 7.26 3-cone, 4.38 shuttle. Should be interesting to hear how he did in LB drills; he struggled dropping into coverage during the Senior Bowl practices.

Guest Aloysius
I called the Laurinitas slide weeks ago. He's not that special. Didn't show up in Mobile. And now he's disappointed in Indy.

Good call.

You know who made a bad call? Brandon Spikes. With Laurinaitis timing poorly and Maualuga a total mess, Spikes could have worked his way into being a top 15 pick. Unless he's the #1 ILB next year, he lost out on a lot of money.

Archived