THE BROWNS BOARD

Mike Pettine speaks...

thenew23

He said a lot of interesting things today...

1) D-line - Plans to move Phil Taylor to NT, said we can pencil in Taylor & Kitchen there. Said Starks can play all 3 spots, but is mostly a 3-tech DE. Said Hughes will be a 3- and 5-tech DE. He likes Shelton but said he'll probably be long gone by the time we pick

2) OLBs - As I said, he mentioned he could use A.Bryant as an OLB at times, and seems really high on Scott Solomon. Said he still wants to add a pass-rusher and the draft is deep at that position.

3) O-line - Said we could move Bitonio to RT (down the line) and he could even play C, and is interested in a developmental C since Mack's contract is up after this season

4) QB - said JF is doing well in rehab and expects him at OTAs. Also, said no private workout for Mariota b/c O'Connell is so familiar with him. Said trading up for QB is one of the few reasons to trade up... We held private workouts with a few QBs but he wouldn't release which ones

5) CB - likes what he hears about Gilbert's offseason and still sees him as a starter even with T.Williams on board. Said he could see K.Williams or Gilbert inside if T.Williams starts outside.

6) K - said it's possible we draft a Kicker

7) Said the team turned down Hard Knocks, said Manziel getting out of rehab is a factor in that decision

1) D-line - Plans to move Phil Taylor to NT...

Hallelujah!

3) O-line - Said we could move Bitonio to RT (down the line) and he could even play C...

I believe I had this...

5) CB - likes what he hears about Gilbert's offseason and still sees him as a starter even with T.Williams on board. Said he could see K.Williams or Gilbert inside if T.Williams starts outside.

And if Gilbert wins the job, what's the plan for Williams? Match up vs. tough TEs? Depth at FS in addition to CB?

Not exactly TMI...

7) Said the team turned down Hard Knocks, said Manziel getting out of rehab is a factor in that decision

Smart man...

1) D-line - Plans to move Phil Taylor to NT, said we can pencil in Taylor & Kitchen there. Said Starks can play all 3 spots, but is mostly a 3-tech DE. Said Hughes will be a 3- and 5-tech DE. He likes Shelton but said he'll probably be long gone by the time we pick

The thing about Phil is that he has the size and strength to anchor the interior and 1i spots, yet the arm length to play some 3 and 5 tech. He may not be dominant at either spot, but he plays them all well.

2) OLBs - As I said, he mentioned he could use A.Bryant as an OLB at times, and seems really high on Scott Solomon. Said he still wants to add a pass-rusher and the draft is deep at that position.

Solomon did some work against Carolina and I would love if he caught on in the off-season. Still on board with Orchard.

3) O-line - Said we could move Bitonio to RT (down the line) and he could even play C, and is interested in a developmental C since Mack's contract is up after this season

RT? Would that mean they experiment with Schwartz at center? Nothing too new here, mid round Olineman will be a target.

4) QB - said JF is doing well in rehab and expects him at OTAs. Also, said no private workout for Mariota b/c O'Connell is so familiar with him. Said trading up for QB is one of the few reasons to trade up... We held private workouts with a few QBs but he wouldn't release which ones

Let us hope there's no trade up

Might be best for Gilbert to continue starting inside, at least for the time being. (should he earn it)

Good, I'd prefer to hold off the camera's at least one more year.

Don't think they can technically turn down Hard Knocks this year, though. Pretty sure that they can be forced to do it.

1) D-line - Plans to move Phil Taylor to NT...

Hallelujah!

I am under the impression that no move was really necessary....that is where he was...or should have been playing all along.

3) O-line - Said we could move Bitonio to RT (down the line) and he could even play C...

I believe I had this...

If something's not broke fix it? Leave well enough alone. Bito was one of the best RGs in the league even in his rookie year. Leave him alone there. You need a RT or a C....go get someone else as good as him to play those spots. Don't weaken that position just to try to strengthen another.

And if Gilbert wins the job, what's the plan for Williams? Match up vs. tough TEs? Depth at FS in addition to CB?

He will play "Defensive Back" and cover receivers and tackle runners and do a good job no matter.

Not exactly TMI...

I guess you have that luxury with 10 picks.....if you keep them.

Smart man...

Yea, some other time maybe.

Don't think they can technically turn down Hard Knocks this year, though. Pretty sure that they can be forced to do it.

I'd bet they can turn them down. There are 31 other teams.....and only 9* have been on that show before. That means they have 22 other teams that have not done it. They can find one. Let the Steelers do it...or the Eagles or Redskins.....more intriguing story lines there.

*Ravens, Cowboys, Chiefs, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins, Bengals again, Falcons.

(so actually 23 other teams besides Browns and the above have not done it.)

We went through this last year when we could not be forced to do the show (1st year HC exemption). I don't think we have any exeptions that apply this year.

Here are the exemptions from last year. It's still the list as far as I know:

1. Teams that have appeared on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years.

2. Teams with new head coaches.

3. Teams that have made the playoffs in either of the last two years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/10/most-teams-will-be-exempt-from-hard-knocks-requirement/

This year we can "turn it down" as a first pass response, but if no one else volunteers, then we can be forced to do the show.

We went through this last year when we could not be forced to do the show (1st year HC exemption). I don't think we have any exeptions that apply this year.

Here are the exemptions from last year. It's still the list as far as I know:

1. Teams that have appeared on Hard Knocks in the last 10 years.

2. Teams with new head coaches.

3. Teams that have made the playoffs in either of the last two years.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/10/10/most-teams-will-be-exempt-from-hard-knocks-requirement/

This year we can "turn it down" as a first pass response, but if no one else volunteers, then we can be forced to do the show.

That leaves 9 eligible teams: Giants, Redskins, Browns, Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Vikings, Buccaneers and Rams.

The Redskins would be one of the teams that could possibly compete with the Browns in terms of QB drama with the RGknee debacle currently going on.

The Buccaneers would be another interesting option, but if no one volunteers, the Browns will most likely be forced to do the damn thing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24939058/redskins-giants-among-9-nfl-teams-eligible-for-2015-hard-knocks

That leaves 9 eligible teams: Giants, Redskins, Browns, Texans, Jaguars, Titans, Vikings, Buccaneers and Rams.

Why in hell are these the "only eligible"?

Only 8 teams have ever done the show. If you count the Browns out that would still leave 23 teams that have never done it.

Do they only take teams with losing seasons? If so, why? That makes no sense

The Redskins would be one of the teams that could possibly compete with the Browns in terms of QB drama with the RGknee debacle currently going on.

The Buccaneers would be another interesting option, but if no one volunteers, the Browns will most likely be forced to do the damn thing.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24939058/redskins-giants-among-9-nfl-teams-eligible-for-2015-hard-knocks

OK, having read the article I see that it says that any team that has made the playoffs the last two years, or that does not have a 1st year HC are exempt from appearing.

My only question....what the fuck? I understand the new HC thing.....but to exempt teams that have made the playoffs? Why?

What is the rationale. I see none other than it being arbitrary.

OK, having read the article I see that it says that any team that has made the playoffs the last two years, or that does not have a 1st year HC are exempt from appearing.

My only question....what the fuck? I understand the new HC thing.....but to exempt teams that have made the playoffs? Why?

What is the rationale. I see none other than it being arbitrary.

I'm sure partly because they'd want to avoid the minefield that would be "oh, we made the playoffs last year, then nothing changed and we missed the playoffs this year...it's Hard Knocks' fault!"

I've no idea what hard knocks is because I never watch television. Did Roger Goodell make it mandatory? I hate Roger Goodell.

Well, I guess if the league can dictate how high a player can wear his socks, they can dictate this to their owners. Still, the method of choosing who is "eligible" is assinine.

6) K - said it's possible we draft a Kicker Pettine

well...I wasn't completely goofy on my mock draft.

Nailed it.

With regard to the front 7, it looks like instead of re-stacking the deck, Pettine plans to shuffle the cards...

Starks Taylor D.Bryant

Winn Kitchen Hughes

Mingo Dansby Robertson Kruger

Solomon Carder Kirksey A.Bryant

Still looks like Kitchen and Solomon are the weak spots that could use upgraded, but I like moving Phil back to the NT. Horton used him there and Rubin as a DE, but when Pettine came in he switched them... I never understood that... Hopefully Phil can stay healthy and play well, especially on a contract year for him...

Also said Manziel should be given the chance to be "the guy" as long as he can get/stay on the field...

Will any team volunteer to do the HBO show this year? Seems like there are a lot of downside to doing the show with the distraction. More so this year for the Browns with JM coming out of rehab. The owners may have voted on this but I don't like this set up. The Browns may be stuck with no choice but to have the HBO cameras if no other team volunteers.

It will be a hard sell to Haslam & Pettine- if they tell Goodell they don't want the cameras on Johnny Rehab just yet.

I'd bet they can turn them down. There are 31 other teams.....and only 9* have been on that show before. That means they have 22 other teams that have not done it. They can find one. Let the Steelers do it...or the Eagles or Redskins.....more intriguing story lines there.

*Ravens, Cowboys, Chiefs, Bengals, Jets, Dolphins, Bengals again, Falcons.

(so actually 23 other teams besides Browns and the above have not done it.)

Yeah- teams that make the playoffs should be eligible. Heck, the NFL could tell HBO- "not this year" They won't I'm sure HBO pays them a healthy chunk of change.

The Browns will be on HBO.... Embrace it. I for one can't wait to get a look behind the curtain.

You enjoy Real Housewives of Atlanta or Survivor too? If there's not a story- Create one.

so let's say the browns are forced to do it. manziel comes back to camp and it's the main plot line of the show. if manziel fizzles out under the pressure and even worse goes back to doing stupid stuff, would there be a basis for a lawsuit thrown at the browns, the nfl and HBO by a manziel camp stacked with high price lawyers, arguing some mental duress?

i know the players are the 'property' of the team they play for but when did individual rights go out the window? doesn't each player have to sign off on this? anywhere else in america to be filmed the co. needs a waiver from each individual. what if manziel says no, don't film me?

my concern isn't so much with the other players, it's with manziel. and for all those that want to give this guy another chance (hell, i'm on the bottom of that list) don't you think throwing hollywood back in front of this kid as soon as he steps out of rehab, a recipe for disaster?

NFL is entertainment. They make money off the show. Manziel seems to be the main attraction of the media. They want him to fuck up. I could see them making the Browns do it. Manziel is a commodity. If he falls off the wagon the media will eat it up. The NFL won't give a shit.

As a Browns fan I want what is best for the team. Pettine has already said he does not want the distraction of doing this show with JM just coming out of rehab. Will HBO honor that or force the Browns to do the show if no other team volunteers? We'll see. I just don't see HBO having the best interest of the Browns here.

As a Browns fan I want what is best for the team. Pettine has already said he does not want the distraction of doing this show with JM just coming out of rehab. Will HBO honor that or force the Browns to do the show if no other team volunteers? We'll see. I just don't see HBO having the best interest of the Browns here.

Again it isn't an HBO decision it's a National Football League decision, and they would most likely have the best interest of the league in mind.

WSS

With regard to the front 7, it looks like instead of re-stacking the deck, Pettine plans to shuffle the cards...

Starks Taylor D.Bryant

Winn Kitchen Hughes

Mingo Dansby Robertson Kruger

Solomon Carder Kirksey A.Bryant

Still looks like Kitchen and Solomon are the weak spots that could use upgraded, but I like moving Phil back to the NT. Horton used him there and Rubin as a DE, but when Pettine came in he switched them... I never understood that... Hopefully Phil can stay healthy and play well, especially on a contract year for him...

Reasonable......but I suspect that a high round drafted rookie will be slipped into the mix there somewhere.

You enjoy Real Housewives of Atlanta or Survivor too? If there's not a story- Create one.

Survivor yes, but RHoA has gone downhill, so I replaced it with Keeping Up with the Kardashians. B)

Archived