THE BROWNS BOARD

Roger Goodell: We take Browns texting "VERY SERIOUSLY"

WalterWhite

Again, SpyGate is the closest example. I'm pretty sure in 2007 your Middle School had the internet.

How is spyGate even closely related to textgate? In my opinion, the Patriots should have received a much stiffer penalty than they did, and the texting should be a fine and suspension for the GM at the very most. No way a first round draft pick can be taken away for that.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SpyGate has NOTHING to do with texting on the sideline.

Everyone in this thread disagrees with you, you're being an idiot.

It has everything to do with this. The NFL has rules concerning using electronic devices during games and where they can be used. I'm not sure if Browns fans actually watch football.

How is spyGate even closely related to textgate? In my opinion, the Patriots should have received a much stiffer penalty than they did, and the texting should be a fine and suspension for the GM at the very most. No way a first round draft pick can be taken away for that.

SpyGate was about improperly placed video cameras. The NFL allows videotaping opposing coaches during the game just not from the vantage point the Patriots used.

It's not about example. If you get caught breaking the rules you get punished. That's the similarity between SpyGate, Peterson, Hardy, Vick, Brent, etc. If they take away 12 instead of 19 we can argue that the penalty may be too harsh but let's not be the fans who endorse breaking the rules

I don't care if it is the Browns, Falcons, Panthers etc.

GM texting the coach is minor. And who knows who else did it?

Spying on the other team's practice? Major.

Your star player beating the fuck out of females? Major.

GM texting coaches from box? Wrist slap.

Z

Good argument boys.

You've convinced me, the NFL has an agenda to keep the Browns down!

Yours is too severe.....that's all. We don't know the punishment yet, so no one is saying the NFL has an agenda............at least not yet

Shannahan is a vagina.

No he isn't. I like vagina"s For a long time now.

I'd say the guy is more like a dick. Can't say I have ever liked but one of those.......mine.

I don't care if it is the Browns, Falcons, Panthers etc.

GM texting the coach is minor. And who knows who else did it?

Spying on the other team's practice? Major.

Your star player beating the fuck out of females? Major.

GM texting coaches from box? Wrist slap.

Z

They didn't tape practice, the Patriots taped the game which you are allowed to do. Where the violation occurred is they taped the Jets from the Jets sideline which you can't do. You have to tape them from your sideline.

I think Goddell's point, which the OPs tweet quote gets at, is that the violation of any rule is a major issue to the NFL. So the calling him names for taking that position is Browns fans feeling that what Farmer did is really no big thing.

While I agree competitively speaking I think it probably didn't give the Browns any advantage. I also agree with Goddell that this is a rule that every GM knows, and if they don't they shouldn't be a GM, and that's the problem. One of the main players in deciding the course of the Browns knowingly broke an NFL "just cause he was frustrated". If the penalty is cash and a first rounder I would hope as fans we would be more angry at the guy angrily breaking a known rule than feeling persecuted by the Commissioner.

If the penalty is cash and a first rounder I would hope as fans we would be more angry at the guy angrily breaking a known rule than feeling persecuted by the Commissioner.

You would hope we as fans shouldn't be angry if Goodell takes away one of our first round picks over a text message when The Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, etc have done far worse?

GOOD GOD YOU'RE AN ASS

You would hope we as fans shouldn't be angry if Goodell takes away one of our first round picks over a text message when The Ravens, Steelers, Patriots, etc have done far worse?

GOOD GOD YOU'RE AN ASS

Again I know this reply isn't sinking in but the NFL, like many, workplaces has ruled governing on players, coaches and management actions both on and off the field. Conspiracy theories aside, the NFL punishes crimes consistently admittedly with the glaring exception of domestic violence which they have appeared to rewrite as they went.

They didn't tape practice, the Patriots taped the game which you are allowed to do. Where the violation occurred is they taped the Jets from the Jets sideline which you can't do. You have to tape them from your sideline.

I think Goddell's point, which the OPs tweet quote gets at, is that the violation of any rule is a major issue to the NFL. So the calling him names for taking that position is Browns fans feeling that what Farmer did is really no big thing.

While I agree competitively speaking I think it probably didn't give the Browns any advantage. I also agree with Goddell that this is a rule that every GM knows, and if they don't they shouldn't be a GM, and that's the problem. One of the main players in deciding the course of the Browns knowingly broke an NFL "just cause he was frustrated". If the penalty is cash and a first rounder I would hope as fans we would be more angry at the guy angrily breaking a known rule than feeling persecuted by the Commissioner.

You are completely incorrect on your facts re spygate, had nothing to do with Jets, Pats were taping Rams practice before Super Bowl.

Z

I'm betting it will be one of their 4ths, and a substantial fine, as the NFL will send a message to the other 31 teams.

If the league cared about the FANS, then they'd hit Haslem in the pocket book....(cause we dont care about his $).....then HE can feel the sting and deal with Farmer how he see's fit....

But by taking a draft pick, they are really hurting US the fans, because it damages the team we love.....

so.....Roger......who ya gonna punish?

628x471.jpg

My larger point is let's not be the type of fans that say, "yeah we got caught but it wasn't that bad" or "the NFL is picking on us 'cause we're Cleveland fans". It is what it is and at this point we should be focused on how the Browns move forward.

I will argue with you on this as well.

I see Tom Benson, that gay owner from Denver with the mink coat, Jerry Jones,& Arthur Blank on the sidelines virtually every time their team is on tv, and sometimes they are commiserating with coaches or players- WTF is the difference between that and our dumbass GM texting?

I will argue with you on this as well.

I see Tom Benson, that gay owner from Denver with the mink coat, Jerry Jones,& Arthur Blank on the sidelines virtually every time their team is on tv, and sometimes they are commiserating with coaches or players- WTF is the difference between that and our dumbass GM texting?

Well....go back and look....if they're on the sideline, then they aren't talking to the coaches.....there are 3 designated areas on the sidelines and very specific places they can and cannot stand......and the coaches zone isn't where the owners are......

and, just as an aside, Tom Benson owns the Saints.....

and.....the issue isnt that he made a suggestion to a coach....cause, guess what....GM's do that all the time...

The issue is that someone on the sideline was in communication with a team official using a cell phone.....which is banned...

THAT is the only issue....cell phone use on the sidelines.......

dude, sometimes a person should realize WHEN to shut the fuck up.

when 99 % of the people in the 100 person room disagree with you, the 1%, it's cool to make your point but to stand there and argue and be shitty about it...............well don't say 'i didn't realize' when the 99 jump on you and rip you into pieces.

So do we know the exact substance of these texts? All I read was it was regarding "strategy". So is it illegal to do that because people outside can pick up on something that the broadcasters say and relay it to the sidelines? In which case wouldn't they also have to flat out ban coaches from having any electronic devices on them cause they could have anybody basically spai for them on these clandestine nationally televised broadcasts and text them info.

So what will shannadick's fine be for using an illegal electronic device on the sideline during a game?

Honestly....thats how I think it should go.....

But, it appears the League will assume this to be an organizational infraction, as opposed to an individual infraction.

They will then penalize the franchise, who would inturn have the option to penalize their employee(s) who caused them the grief...

So, it boils down to "how do you text someone who shouldnt have their phone?"......Id say Farmer had a reasonable expectation that Shanny wouldn't get the message till AFTER the game......

Let's be honest....

It was Shanny who broke the rules....HE had the phone with him(and shouldnt have)....He had it on(and shouldnt have)......he checked it during a game(and shouldn't have).......THEN IT GETS EVEN WORSE.....

Shanny decided he wanted out and wanted to leave the Browns, so he called Mary Kay Crabbot and completely back stabbed his boss(Farmer) and screwed the whole team, Pettine, the other coaches and all the player.....for his own personal selfish reasons...

and he gets to leave and get a new job, while the team and players stay to pay the piper.....

Im usually a pretty chill dude, but Id kick his whiny little pussified ass If I ever saw him in person......

i think farmer really didn't know what he was doing was wrong. now did he break the rules by the exact letter of the law? yep. did he do it to cheat? i highly doubt it.

i would think the nfl would be privy to the exact content of the text. if this leads to something severe i might have to launch an egg at goodell the next time i go into the city.

Archived