THE BROWNS BOARD

Breshard Perriman's Stock is Rising

Flugel

And who could ever forget this one?

braylon-Edwards-drop.gif

There's 2 different versions of Braylon Edwards we got introduced to. There's the distracted one perfectly epitomized in the picture when football wasn't a top priority. Then there was the one on a mission to prove that his 2nd year post knee surgery could get back to the form that made him a 3rd overall pick capable of contributing 16 TD receptions to our only double digit win season this side of 1999.

Like Josh Gordon, what comes after proving how talented you can be on the football field at the NFL level? Where does football rank on the priority list? We know the answer in both cases so we don't we need to stay away from the Green-Beckham types. There's franchises and front offices that do a good job in researching work ethics, off the field stuff and other things dating all the way back to high school with many prospects. I don't know what we've have had for criteria here all these years our front office ranked at the bottom of our division drafting. I have a good feeling about Farmer.

At one of the college award presentation shows, Amari Cooper's mom and Nick Saban we're saying it was killing Amari that he couldn't workout in his normal routine that weekend. I get the sense, this is the type of horse an NFL team can feel good about betting on come draft day.

Anyone remember the QB that would only get drafted somewhere in the 20s by the team already frequenting posts seasons with Brett Favre? That could have been REALLY nice if our front office knew who that QB was and traded down to land him along with additional picks. It's OKAY if we as fans don't get that right; BUT when your plan at QB was going to end up counting on Charlie Frye as the starter - it would have also been nice to know who would have been the better guy to bet on here between and the QB in Green Bay with the precision to throw WRs open. That was a nice opportunity for Savage to prove he was more than just a Dunkin Do Nots fetcher for Ozzie once upon a time.

Typing is a hobby with you isn't it?

You love Perriman... he's your guy. Great. All I meant was straight ahead speed in a WR is not everything... even if it comes with size.

Yeah, check out how much I love type during a 50-60 hour work week Tour. In fact, why don't you go check the length of my initial post in this thread before Perriman went on trial for impersonating Greg Little. He was never my favorite WR in this draft. It's been an on-going tossup between White and Cooper. He was just one of the Mayock Top 5 I felt we had the best chance of landing. Once upon a time that felt like it could have been in round 2. I never saw Kevin White or Amari Cooper lasting as far as 12 so I rarely mention either. Parker might not either; but I'd prefer Shelton to parker or Parriman at 12. I'm starting to think I'd consider Perriman at #19 or via trade back.

My need for speed as it applies to WR Corps is it can be on the other side of formation to possession Receiver types like Bowe and Hartline that make them better underneath.

I shared this true junior's stats, comments from Mayock and someone else shared a video. He just wasn't your idea or your thesis so you're getting snippy here when I asked how much a cone drill was going to matter with all that's been put on his junior resume as well as his gears and size. Saying you're holding out for a cone drill is nitpicking and you know that.

In fact, why don't you go check the length of my initial post in this thread before Perriman went on trial for impersonating Greg Little. He was never my favorite WR in this draft.

OK... not your fav. Just was your secret "hope he gets to round 2 so we can steal him" guy. Obviously there's a little pride of ownership there that I stepped on. Did not mean to unduly, just meant register a restrained opinion.

As for the 3-cone and other drills... No, not nitpicking at all. Just because I make a short post does not mean it's "snippy". It means my point was made, or at least I thought it was, and since I suck at typing I'd no reason to continue.

But since my point was not communicated...

When I see a player comes out of a conference like the AAC, where the competition level is not what it is in other Div 1 conferences, then for me it is even more important that his "stats" be validated.

My first step in that process is to review his measurables... all his measurables... preferably as taken at the Combine. Why? Because it's easy. It's efficient. If you tell me that the WR in question runs a blazing fast 40, then that makes the drill times even more important, not less.

I place zero weight on his (redshirt) Junior status.

If I am still curious/ interested, then I'd look at the player's game stats for the schedule played. Who'd he do well against? Did anyone shut him down? If so, who?

Best games:

07 2014-10-25 Central Florida v Temple W 7 146 20.9 1

12 2014-12-04 Central Florida @ East Carolina W 4 139 34.8 1

13 2014-12-26 Central Florida N NC State L 9 138 15.3 0

Worst games:

02 2014-09-13 Central Florida @ Missouri L 2 27 13.5 0

08 2014-11-01 Central Florida @ Connecticut L 2 43 21.5 1

10 2014-11-22 Central Florida v SMU W 2 43 21.5 1

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/breshad-perriman-1/gamelog/2014/

Look to be good efforts vs. a couple good teams, but poor outings vs. some better ones. In the above I'd dig into other game stats and tape, if available. One I'm most curious about is the loss to Connecticut. Could be weather... but also could be Byron Jones.

But since I have yet to see the other measureables... it can wait.

Gotta say I dont hate Perriman and there are certainly scenarios where Id pick him......but they come much later than the first....

And, yes, Ive seen him mocked by a few in the late first round. So, maybe he's not rising from nowhere, but he is still rising fast based solely on a 40 yard dash time....

My main beef with him(and many of the other "good" receivers in this draft) is that he doesn't meet the style of receiver I believe this team needs.....which is big, physical and aggressive......thats all....

But I do like a deep threat, so if he was gonna be there in the 3rd, Id pick him in a second(Devon Smith too).....but wouldn't take either inside our first 3 picks...........

Fair enough. I probably don't show this but I don't mind disagreeing with people especially when they do a nice job of showing me where they're coming from. It would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

40 times have always pushed people up in the nature of this beast. I remember Courtney Brown solidifying a number 1 overall draft status with his 40 time. Way back then, I was zeroing in more on Michigan's game plan to run at him rather than feeding his strength of backside clap downs for losses wheen many reach blocking schemes toward playside left him unblocked/unhinged altogether. Michigan chose to run right at Brown for positive yardage and long extended scoring drives that kept their defense off the field. Not much different than the NY Giants going at Bruce Smith's upfield moves off Jumbo Elliott's fanny for SB record long scoring drives of 11 minutes and 13 minutes in one of the rare times anybody has owned Bruce. To me that, that Michigan matchup foreshadowed what was going to occur at the NFL level with Courtney. It wasn't the injuries that held him back as much as it was the offense knowing where he's vulnerable up against where he can be dangerous. They didn't help but I had a body of work to go by. The ONLY time Courney looked like a 1st overall pick was when he faced a backup Tackle for Pittsburgh with the former Ohio State QB Graham holding onto the ball forever. We got 3 sacks. The reality was we never got our Pro Bowl pass rush until Jamir Miller replaced Courtney Brown with a hand down and the difference was huge.

When there's speed at the WR position, teams/OCs feel like they can dictate where they want the Safety to be when they're planning their passes for specific situations. While Mike Wallace was a disappointment in Miami, the results of Brian Hartline benefitting from what Wallace's speed did to his matchups wasn't disappointing at all. That's my intrigue along with thinking this guy will be on our doorstep after we've added Shelton.

I did... but had to take a siesta halfway through it... ;)

LOL! Bastard! Just for that, you need another nap. Here it is that epic long post you complained about:

So much for me thinking we can snag Perriman in round 2 - here's a quick tidbit about the day he had yesterday: The big story Wednesday on the Pro Day circuit was unquestionably the blazing 40-yard dash put up by Central Florida wideout Breshad Perriman, a fringe first round prospect who may have successfully run into the top 32 selections by clocking in at roughly 4.25 seconds in the all-important drill.

Suffice it to say - he can jet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When you reject Cliff's Notes you're telling me you need Cliff Clavin.

Fair enough. me where they're coming from. It would be boring if we all agreed on everything.

That's my intrigue along with thinking this guy will be on our doorstep after we've added Shelton.

I agree its good to disagree because constant agreement, while agreeable, is boring....ageed?

And though Id be surprised to see a WR in the first, if there's gonna be one, Im thinking Farmer has eyes for DeVante Parker...

Considering he says he doesn't "value" wr as much as other positions, Farmer has been down to Louisville AND also had DeVante come here for a private workout.......which seems like a lot of interest if yer askin me.....

I agree its good to disagree because constant agreement, while agreeable, is boring....ageed?

And though Id be surprised to see a WR in the first, if there's gonna be one, Im thinking Farmer has eyes for DeVante Parker...

Considering he says he doesn't "value" wr as much as other positions, Farmer has been down to Louisville AND also had DeVante come here for a private workout.......which seems like a lot of interest if yer askin me.....

I wouldn't mind Parker at all. With Farmer, his 1st year plan was to focus more on strengthening our running game with Bitonio and West while also strengthening our secondary/coverages with Gilbert and a LBer like Kirksey that looked instinctive vrs the pass. I could definitely see the plan taking form.

I get the feeling he wants everyone thinking we don't need WRs this year and he's playing some real good pre-draft poker. His payment to FAs shows me he values the position while it sets up a perfect smoke screen for him to snag a WR talent like Parker in in round 1. Most GMs love it when they see that the public has no idea what they're thinking. Farmer too. Who saw Gilbert coming here last year in round 1 before the draft?

Shelton will probably last until #11 with our luck and then I think I'd rather go WR at #12 than the next best DT we're going to ask to play NT. I've seen film of Malcolm Brown that doesn't make me feel him at #12 while Jordan Phillips had back surgery in 2013 on top of his reputation for taking plays off. Eddie Goldman may be worth consideration for #19 but I haven't looked for any film to give you a gut on him yet. He has some intriguing scouting reports though.

I don't know what we've have had for criteria here all these years our front office ranked at the bottom of our division drafting. I have a good feeling about Farmer.

The same that allowed Haslam to be cock of the walk, pick Manziel, then have the front office screaming "We had NO idea" 10 months later.

OK... not your fav. Just was your secret "hope he gets to round 2 so we can steal him" guy. Obviously there's a little pride of ownership there that I stepped on. Did not mean to unduly, just meant register a restrained opinion.

As for the 3-cone and other drills... No, not nitpicking at all. Just because I make a short post does not mean it's "snippy". It means my point was made, or at least I thought it was, and since I suck at typing I'd no reason to continue.

But since my point was not communicated...

When I see a player comes out of a conference like the AAC, where the competition level is not what it is in other Div 1 conferences, then for me it is even more important that his "stats" be validated.

My first step in that process is to review his measurables... all his measurables... preferably as taken at the Combine. Why? Because it's easy. It's efficient. If you tell me that the WR in question runs a blazing fast 40, then that makes the drill times even more important, not less.

I place zero weight on his (redshirt) Junior status.

If I am still curious/ interested, then I'd look at the player's game stats for the schedule played. Who'd he do well against? Did anyone shut him down? If so, who?

Best games:

07 2014-10-25 Central Florida v Temple W 7 146 20.9 1

12 2014-12-04 Central Florida @ East Carolina W 4 139 34.8 1

13 2014-12-26 Central Florida N NC State L 9 138 15.3 0

Worst games:

02 2014-09-13 Central Florida @ Missouri L 2 27 13.5 0

08 2014-11-01 Central Florida @ Connecticut L 2 43 21.5 1

10 2014-11-22 Central Florida v SMU W 2 43 21.5 1

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/breshad-perriman-1/gamelog/2014/

Look to be good efforts vs. a couple good teams, but poor outings vs. some better ones. In the above I'd dig into other game stats and tape, if available. One I'm most curious about is the loss to Connecticut. Could be weather... but also could be Byron Jones.

But since I have yet to see the other measureables... it can wait.

The snippy ballbust was about the you like to type a lot. Hell no. It means I'm sucking at articulating my point.

Thanks for showing me your line of thinking.

Sometimes the strength of competition could be as bad as Jerry Rice playing the level of competition that Mississippi Valley State played where nothing he was going to accomplish at any workout was going to make more than the 1 team that rolled the dice on him use their first round pick on him. Then came the 40 teams that really made SF his only taker.

UCF has put some quality passing game personnel in the NFL whether it's Brandon Marshall, Daunte Culpepper (pre-injury). I think they beat Louisville in 2013 despite the Bridgewater to Parker connection.

I DO place some emphasis on the TRUE Junior thing if he's sporting progress in his numbers, up over 1000 yards receiving and at 20.9 yards per catch with 9 TD receptions. That's showing me upside being tapped without even knowing what kind of QB he was counting on. I also think it's important to see what 1 more year meant to a guys like White and Parker meant in terms of statistical progress, In a world where they bet on upside based on all the variables they've researched it's nice to see progress and upside unfolding. That's why I like this apples to apples of his stats up against top rated WRs in his draft class when they were true juniors beginning with Breshad first:

Perriman 2014: 10 starts 50 rec 1044 yds 20.9 ypc 9 TD

White 2013: 9 starts 35 rec 507 yds 14.5 ypc 5 TD

Parker 2013: 12 starts 55 rec 885 yds 16.1 ypc 12 TD

Cooper 2014: 14 starts 124 rec 1727 yds 13.9 ypc 16 TD (this is the only guy that kicks his ass numbers wise)

In a world where they draft what's projected ahead - I like this kid's chances as well as any of the WRs.

Everyone's going to have days an easier opponent fattens numbers statistically. Let's just say we can all prove a thesis if we want to. For some reason Parker felt compelled he needed to return for a senior a year after Bridgewater left while Perriman's best numbers came after Bortles departed. I don't know who had the better QB; but those videos of Perriman Woody shared sure had him making the best of a lot of underthrows. Seems like guys with the most access to film of Periman such as Cosell, Mayock, Kiper and I think McShay all seem to like him more than they expected to once they put the tape on him. That's what gave me a kick in the pants and intrigue about Perriman on top of thinking we had a better shot at him than other bigger named WRs.

Rice 4.71 40, Irvin 4.52 40....what else? They CAUGHT the ball! They were wide RECEIVERS! I'm no pro scout, but a WR with the drops just doesn't make it. I'm with Mud.....the fast risers due to Combine & Pro Day stuff impress me far less than on field performers like Alshon Jeffery, who is another of those WR types I like...big, maybe not a burner, but WINS the catch & holds the ball.

Mike

Most important aspects of receiver play are physicality and footwork. You really only need one to be good.

There's a guy in Houston that coaches just footwork. He's kinda revolutionary in that he focuses on feet so specifically. Anyway, he trains mostly college kids but he trained Le'Veon Bell last offseason and has had Emmanuel Sanders and Knile Davis in in the last month.

He posts Instagram videos of a lot of the drills being performed. Almost every person that shows up is SLOW through the drills. Even Emmanuel Sanders. Davis was really slow. But both blaze through it now and it's impressive.

Anyway, not to give any praise to a Steeler, but Antonio Brown showed up for his first workout and he was just as quick through the drills as Sanders, which is crazy because A. Sanders has been working out with the guy for a month and it was Brown's first workout and B. Sanders has more pure speed than Brown. Brown is a freak of quickness.

Anyway, Brown is regarded as an elite route runner, that's because he drops different footwork combinations on each route to keep the defense guessing.

Most important aspects of receiver play are physicality and footwork. You really only need one to be good.

You fucked up with your first sentence.

The most important aspect of receiver is hands. Pure and simple. You can be fast like Moss, as big as Megatron and run routes like Rice... if you have hands like Greg Little ? Doesn't mean a damn thing.

Thanks for showing me your line of thinking.

You're welcome...

No doubt... 40 time is the glamour measureable, but I think we are both saying it's over-rated unless it comes with other attributes.

That's twice now that you've emphasized "TRUE Junior". Where are you seeing this? Every Bio I have seen on Perriman says he's a redshirt Jr., e.g., Class/Draft Year: rJr/2015.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=91941&draftyear=2015&genpos=WR

As for progress... are you sure that's why Perriman's numbers are up? Versus say the prior year's #1 target graduating? My point, my caution being that you have to dig to see what is behind the numbers.

the one thing we cant argue is that Perriman is definitely climbing.....really fast too....

so, if nothing else, he may push some one else back that we could use......

Id expect a few new names to creep up and get tapped earlier than people are predicting, simply based upon team needs.....and(hopefully) pushing one of our guys back.....

In addition to climbers like Perriman, gotta think the top prospects at their perspective positions will start getting higher consideration too.....guys like Landon Collins, Todd Gurley, Trae Waynes, Maxx Wiiliams, AJ Caan, Eddie Kendricks and Cameron Irving could all move up higher(and some will for sure)......

lets hope a couple make the top 10.....

the one thing we cant argue is that Perriman is definitely climbing.....really fast too....

so, if nothing else, he may push some one else back that we could use......

Id expect a few new names to creep up and get tapped earlier than people are predicting, simply based upon team needs.....and(hopefully) pushing one of our guys back.....

In addition to climbers like Perriman, gotta think the top prospects at their perspective positions will start getting higher consideration too.....guys like Landon Collins, Todd Gurley, Trae Waynes, Maxx Wiiliams, AJ Caan, Eddie Kendricks and Cameron Irving could all move up higher(and some will for sure)......

lets hope a couple make the top 10.....

Of those AJ Cann or Irving to the Gmen would make the most sense.

Of those AJ Cann or Irving to the Gmen would make the most sense.

yep....sounds very reasonable to me.......and I think Waynes has good potential to be a top 10 pick too..

the others, while likely not top 10, still could fall in the teens......which can help us at 19

You're welcome...

No doubt... 40 time is the glamour measureable, but I think we are both saying it's over-rated unless it comes with other attributes.

That's twice now that you've emphasized "TRUE Junior". Where are you seeing this?

Go to your nearest store that sells magazines. Find page 27 of Hub Arkush's Pro Football Now Draft Guide 2015. This page ranks the top rated WRs and lists their school, year (and other pertinent data like ht/wt/40/arm length/hand size that I did not include below):

1. Amari Cooper. Alabama. Year: True Junior.

2. Kevin White. West Virginia. True Senior

3. DeVante Parker. Louisville. True Senior

4. Jaelen Strong. Arizona State. Year: Redshirt Junior.

5. Brashad Perriman. UCF. Year: True Junior.

I'm one that likes to see the stats of all the seasons right next to the strong points and weaknesses of each prospect. This publication does a nice job of consolidating it all in a menu-like format. All 5 of those kids above are on 1 page; so it also makes for some nice compare and contrast. The author is Greg Gabriel who spent 32 years in various roles as an NFL Scout and Director of College Scouting. He worked with the Buffalo Bills 1982-1984, NY Giants 1985-2001, Chicago Bears Director of College Scouting from 2001-2010, Philadelphia Eagles Player Personnel from 2012-2013.

Is it possible he made a mistake and your sources didn't? Sure. Is it a showstopper? No. There's a bunch of measurables and variables that go on to each prospect's resume. Some of cyberspace draft experts have made errors too. The difference is they can correct them while magazines can't be corrected or updated with pro days once they've hit the shelves.

Here's what I know for certain: I'd take Cooper, White, Parker, Strong, Devin Smith, Rashad Greene, and even Green-Beckham before this dude.

I'd also prefer Cooper, White or Parker but don't you think at least 3 of the 11 teams drafting before #12 would too? To spend all my time counting on those guys is like planning my budget around winning the lottery.

I wouldn't take Perriman at #12; but I'd strongly consider him in a trade back toward the back end of round 1.

I'd also prefer Cooper, White or Parker but don't you think at least 3 of the 11 teams drafting before #12 would too? Along that same line, a lot of us really like Danny Shelton. Unfortunately, only 1 of the first 11 teams has to be interested in him enough to make him unavailable to us at #12 too.

Interesting question, but I'd bet very good money that one of those guys is available at #12. It's very uncommon for 3+ WR to go in the top 10. I'm not crazy about drafting a WR at 12 but if for some reason Cooper is there it's a no-brainer pick for me.

so, if nothing else, he may push some one else back that we could use... guys like Landon Collins, Todd Gurley, Trae Waynes, Maxx Wiiliams, AJ Caan, Eddie Kendricks and Cameron Irving could all move up higher(and some will for sure)......

As you later mention, Waynes looks to be the top ten threat there. Possibly Erving... The issue is more around who falls at this point.

... Hub Arkush's Pro Football Now Draft Guide 2015.

Thanks for your ref.

Interesting question, but I'd bet very good money that one of those guys is available at #12. It's very uncommon for 3+ WR to go in the top 10. I'm not crazy about drafting a WR at 12 but if for some reason Cooper is there it's a no-brainer pick for me.

Understandable. And I join you in not wanting Perriman at #12.

Another train of thought is last year's first round gave a lot of teams some very immediate impact/help at WR. I think recent success at a position is the best way to buck a previous trend. In this case, I can see 3 teams that could very easily go WR before #12. They are Oakland at #4 (for Carr), St Louis at #10 (for Foles) and Minnesota at #11 (for Bridgewater). If that happens, I don't see us spending our #12 on the 4th WR in the pecking order when other positions will be offering us the #1 or #2 rated guy. If Parker does make it that far,

Where Perriman could come into play is if we add picks via trade back and get him somewhere near the back 3rd of round 1. In that area, I could also see interest in him from Detroit, Baltimore, Seattle or NE; especially if he clears teams in mid-first round slots held by Houston, Philly, KC, Miami, SF, and Miami.

If Shelton plus White, Cooper and Parker are off the board before #12 - how much is our front office tempted to trade back and add picks? I'm not buying that Farmer isn't a WR guy as much as I thought last year's plan prioritized running game (Bitonio & West) and pass coverage help (Gilbert, Desir, Kirksey) and various FA moves like Crow, Whitner, and Dansby stuck to the strategy. THIS year, Josh Gordon has parked himself again so the time is right to move forward. I'm sure Farmer wants nothing more than local media announcing he isn't a WR guy at all.

Understandable. And I join you in not wanting Perriman at #12.

Another train of thought is last year's first round gave a lot of teams some very immediate impact/help at WR. I think recent success at a position is the best way to buck a previous trend. In this case, I can see 3 teams that could very easily go WR before #12. They are Oakland at #4 (for Carr), St Louis at #10 (for Foles) and Minnesota at #11 (for Bridgewater). If that happens, I don't see us spending our #12 on the 4th WR in the pecking order when other positions will be offering us the #1 or #2 rated guy. If Parker does make it that far,

Where Perriman could come into play is if we add picks via trade back and get him somewhere near the back 3rd of round 1. In that area, I could also see interest in him from Detroit, Baltimore, Seattle or NE; especially if he clears teams in mid-first round slots held by Houston, Philly, KC, Miami, SF, and Miami.

If Shelton plus White, Cooper and Parker are off the board before #12 - how much is our front office tempted to trade back and add picks? I'm not buying that Farmer isn't a WR guy as much as I thought last year's plan prioritized running game (Bitonio & West) and pass coverage help (Gilbert, Desir, Kirksey) and various FA moves like Crow, Whitner, and Dansby stuck to the strategy. THIS year, Josh Gordon has parked himself again so the time is right to move forward. I'm sure Farmer wants nothing more than local media announcing he isn't a WR guy at all.

I doubt DeVante Parker cracks the top 10. Also, there are so many holes in that St. Louis offensive line that I doubt the Rams go WR. I actually believe the Bears are more likely to go WR than the Raiders (who I believe will go with a defensive player). With that being said, I'm 100% sure one of the top 3 WRs crack the top 10 and I'm 50% sure 2 of them crack the top 10.

Best case scenario: Kevin White OR Amari Cooper + DeVante Parker available

Worst case scenario: only DeVante Parker available

FWIW, I think Devante is an inferior prospect in comparison to the other 2, and i'd look elsewhere if White/Cooper are off the board.

Archived