THE BROWNS BOARD

Would you trade our two first round picks for Philip Rivers?

Adoug319

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd think about it for #19 if a contract extension is involved. However, I've heard from a San Diego writer that Rivers would sooner retire than leave San Diego. He's got plenty of money, four kids, and doesn't want to put them through a relocation. It sounds like he's fairly ingrained in his community.

Agree with some others here-I'd GLADLY give up #19 and a 4th-5th if it came with a contract extension. Phil may be 33 but he's still a top 10 QB in the NFL. Hell if he gave us 3 years of solid QB play that would be better than any frikin first round QB we've drafted. For a one year rental though-no way.

The stupid rumors always involve the Browns one way or another. A CBS sports analyst has the Browns trading their 12, 43 and fifth round to Redskins for Mariota. That just doesn't make sense to mortgage the future on a rookie unproven and another past his prime. Even if all the Browns needed was a QB, I would still say no. Since last year we have lost TJ Ward, Skrine, Sheard, Cameron and Rubin not to mention Josh Gordon. Shouldn't the front office replace the players we have lost and build on the young talent we retained?

Rivers would never agree to a deal with Cleveland thank God. He's not happy about the Chargers potential move to L.A. And would opt out in favor of playing on a team closer to his home. So that's how the rumor started with a potential mock trade with San Diego and Tenessee.

Do you seriously think 12, 43 and a fifth round pick counts as mortgaging our future? That's a pittance compared to what people trade to land their qb of the future. I don't know if Mariotta would be the right guy for us or not, but right now, we have no one else. I would be happy as heck to land Marcus for that price. Just a few years ago, it might have cost us 3 consecutive number 1's. To only lose one number 1 pick is a far better deal then trading two number ones for Rivers.

Also keep in mind, Rivers may not sign here long term, that is true, but rookie first round contracts are 4 years, with a team option 5th year I believe. By then hopefully we would have something built around him to make him want to stay.

Hx214, and JRB12711, you guys really think giving up that much would benefit this team? Rivers would be more then #19 and a 5, likely #19 and a 3 minimum. If you are not trading the 2 1's to move up for Marcus, it will take our other 1, our 2, and likely a pick next year as well. That is a whole heck of a lot to give up for 2 players, which only one will start. We would essentially lose all our picks till round 4-5, and likely a no.2 next year as well. That's WAY to much to lose for Rivers, and Marcus. And that's only if the trade up doesn't cost us our next year 1, which it could.

I'd think about it for #19 if a contract extension is involved. However, I've heard from a San Diego writer that Rivers would sooner retire than leave San Diego. He's got plenty of money, four kids, and doesn't want to put them through a relocation. It sounds like he's fairly ingrained in his community.

It's a non story. He ain't coming here. If he's going anywhere it will be Tennessee or somewhere like that.

A CBS sports analyst has the Browns trading their 12, 43 and fifth round to Redskins for Mariota. That just doesn't make sense to mortgage the future on a rookie

Even if all the Browns needed was a QB, I would still say no.

First, a 1st, 2nd, and 5th would be absolutely nothing to get a potential franchise QB. That is NOT mortgaging the future, and I would make that trade yesterday if it was actually on the table...

... that would leave us with Mariota, pick 19, a 3rd rounder, 2 4th rounders, 2 6th rounders, and a 7th rounder... plenty of picks to improve our "future"...

Second, how many other needs do we have? We were 6-3 with "average-at-best" QB play, and then tanked instantly when Hoyer started to lose it... I can see us benefiting from beefing up a bunch of other positions, BUT when you have 10 picks, and 2 of them are 1st rounders, then I think it would be an epic failure if we don't somehow improve our QB situation... even if that means trading 3 picks to get the guy we want...

I don't feel educated enough to answer. But those of you saying no, why?

Besides the age thing (my post above your question) I've always had the feeling that the guy is an asshole... a talented asshole, but an asshole. Case in point:

"As Philip Rivers does whenever his team doesn’t win, he whines, he cries, and he throws a temper tantrum. The leadership of any football team starts with the quarterback, and that is exactly where the Chargers are weak. It wasn’t necessarily his level of play that cost the Chargers this crucial win, it’s that Rivers is very weak minded. When the going gets tough, he handles it by yelling at his teammates and throwing his helmet: a recipe for disaster. When his back is against the wall, number seventeen likes to point fingers and cause a scene"

Maybe I would change my mind if he were our asshole, but... no...

Not saying we should go for Rivers - I would do it for one, but not both - but complaining about needing to replace players we've lost, when most of them *have* been replaced is stupid.

I agree, if the FO was going to give up #19 for china doll Bradford I would say pull the trigger and bring Rivers here.

But for both number #1's. . . HELL no!

19 and thats it. He stated that he isnt going t rene his contract next year. So the ball is not in the Chargers court. If he doesnt agree to sign an extension, then F him. Rivers is an asshole, but would be the best qb we have had in a long time.

You are one annoying fellow.

If you'd trade the Browns two firsts this year for Rivers you are a dumb one. You don't trade two firsts for any franchise qb pushing mid 30's and Rivers sure as hell isn't the answer in Cleveland. The Browns would maybe be .500 with him under center. You've got a bunch of journeyman at wr, no proven tight end. Trading two firsts for Rivers would be absolutely mindless.

Hall of famer at RB? What am I forgetting?

Also, you think our record only improves by one win adding Phillip freaking Rivers? Wow.

You trade those two firsts. There goes Shelton for example. You have who at receiver to draw coverage? Gordon can't stay on the field. Cameron is gone. You replaced him with housler who is an athletic freak of sorts but isn't an accomplished receiver. The Browns also play in a tough division. Sure he may equate to more than one win but he's not going to make the browns contenders. He may not even get the Browns to a divison title. If you ask me he's an overrated qb, that has never won anything. He throws for a lot of yards which gets him in pro bowls. He's a serial whiner as well. Tomlinson will be in the hall of fame, so will gates. I meant future hall of famers.

No. That is the kind of move a team that lacks only a QB would make. By the time the Browns could build a contender around him he'd hang up his spikes.

On the other hand, with the success rate of the Browns number ones, maybe it is not a bad idea to just trade them away. At least you know what you're getting.

And the Browns will probably have two good number one picks in 2016 as well.

By the time the Browns could build a contender around him he'd hang up his spikes.

I don't want to do the trade but from the looks of ESPN the Browns are closer to building a contender then the Stoolers.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12179331/how-many-players-away-super-bowl-was-team

So try and know more about the rival team if you are gonna come on their forum...

Also Fuck the Steelers

Columbus, when can we see that for this year? That's crazy that they predicted the Cowboys success off of an 8-8 year.

Well I believe that is for teams on the upcoming year, notice how they left out Seattle and New England, the super bowl teams? Maybe they just didn't have time to analyze the 2014 teams.

I don't want to do the trade but from the looks of ESPN the Browns are closer to building a contender then the Stoolers. http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/12179331/how-many-players-away-super-bowl-was-team

So try and know more about the rival team if you are gonna come on their forum...

Also Fuck the Steelers

Any self respecting football fan can see right through this article that was written and posted smack in the middle of the offseason. It puts zero consideration in the pedigree and potential of players. If I rmemeber correctly it puts almost zero stock in guys like tuitt, Shazier and Jarvis Jones for example for the steelers. It was a shit article then and its a shit article now. If they put the steelers at the top I'd still be saying its a shit article. ESPN is also garbage. Edit: and I'm the king of Columbus.

Archived