THE BROWNS BOARD

Rogers Unhappy?

EERSandBROWNS

From Schefter

As much as Eric Mangini has tried to change the culture in Cleveland, one of his biggest challenges now is changing the mind of Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers.

Rogers has grown so disenchanted with the situation in Cleveland that he has asked the Browns not to pick up the $6 million option-bonus payment due to him next month, a source close to the defensive tackle said. Rogers would rather be released after one season with the Browns, despite still being owed another $15 million in guaranteed money.

The Browns said Rogers hasn't asked them to be released.

Cutting Rogers would be difficult to do financially. If the Browns release Rogers, they would have to count more than $9.7 million against their salary cap.

Cleveland has no intention of getting rid of Rogers. It wants him back as the productive team member he was last season, when he was selected to the Pro Bowl. Browns coach Eric Mangini, according to those within the Cleveland organization, is still optimistic that he can change Rogers' mind once the two men speak. Mangini is said to have recently reached out to Rogers. Those who know Rogers say his mind will not be changed.

But Mangini has had success in these types of settings. When he arrived in New York as the Jets' coach in 2006, wide receiver Laveranues Coles was, at best, a skeptic, but Mangini eventually won him over.

Mangini has said publicly that when change occurs, as it did in Cleveland, there is uncertainty and that can create misunderstandings like the one that has happened now.

Some of Rogers' feelings stem back to two offseason incidents in which he believes Mangini disrespected him. The first time, Mangini walked into the Browns' training room and failed to say hello to Rogers. The next time, at a public charity function in which both men were in the green room, neither said hello to the other, and Mangini later said he didn't know Rogers was there.

"Anytime someone new comes in, there's a process of getting to know that person," Mangini said Feb. 4. "I feel really comfortable with who I am and the things I do. I know that everything is done for a very specific reason and that is to give us the best chance to win. I feel really good about the relationships that I had in New York with the players there. I think that the things that they have said are things I feel really good about. I anticipate having those same types of relationships here."

The Browns believe that, once Rogers hears out Mangini, the same will occur. The situation will be soothed over, hard feelings will dissipate and Cleveland will have a happy defensive tackle.

"I didn't realize Shaun was there at the time," Mangini said earlier this offseason of the green-room incident. "I know it's probably hard to believe considering how big he is and how big I am. I feel really good about watching him on tape. I always appreciate 360-pound nose guards. He's powerful, disruptive, has a high motor, and I’m looking forward to that."

Some believe there are other reasons driving Rogers' desire to leave the Browns. But before the situation is resolved, Mangini will have his say with the player whose mind he now must change.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rodgers is a big guy. He could have walked over to Mangini and introduced himself, could have joked that he didn't want

to not be noticed because of his size...

My guess is, he's very loyal to Crennel, and wasn't happy that Crennel lost his job as head coach.

Crennel is plenty a terrific guy, give him a personel liason job with the Browns.

Rodgers is a big guy. He could have walked over to Mangini and introduced himself, could have joked that he didn't want

to not be noticed because of his size...

My guess is, he's very loyal to Crennel, and wasn't happy that Crennel lost his job as head coach.

Crennel is plenty a terrific guy, give him a personel liason job with the Browns.

An article I read in the last week (can't remember where it was from) said the Chiefs had offered a job to Crennel in the same mold that Mangini is hoping he will stay in Cleveland on. If that is the case, hopefully Romeo will come back. I personally would love to have Romeo back. He may not have been a great coach, but he knows football and the players loved him.

Guest 88fingerslewy

Rogers getting blown off, that's a good one.

Before the Dallas game I was at Morton's and saw him with a table of 6 or 7 other homies.

I wanted to get an autograph for my kids.

So out of respect, I waited until they were done their dinners and the table was clear.

I didn't walk up to him or get in his face.

I caught his eye from about 10 feet away and showed him a couple of napkins with a pen, I gave him a grin and made a scribble motion.

The prick blows me off....as I'm walking away he makes a crack to his buddies and they all had a good laugh.

Yep, real class guy. I'd bet if that were Joe Thomas or Joe J or Eric S, they would have signed a couple of napkins.

It's not like he wanted privacy either, he was at the biggest table in the place....center stage.

Ya I know, the guys a monster. Whatever.

Or, Crennel is the solid good guy that would create continuity and those keep those disgruntled players on board

with a solid attitude.

Who knows, that's just my guess. I think it's a great idea.

That was a stupid arse move by Rodgers. Draft Raji and trade Rodgers for two first round picks or something.

we definitely need rodgers. i knew that this problem with snubbing rodgers would come back to bite us in the ass. mangina is such an asshole. im tired of his bullshit already

WHAT????????????? only in Cleveland...are you secretly ghoolie or Rich4eagle?

we definitely need rodgers. i knew that this problem with snubbing rodgers would come back to bite us in the ass. mangina is such an asshole. im tired of his bullshit already

You're seriously blaming Mangini for Rogers being a big-ass crybaby? What the hell was wrong with Rogers going and talking to him? xxxx Rogers and his ego. He pulled this shit in Detroit also, yet its Mangini's fault?

here's what we can learn from all this: rogers is a sensitive pussy who needs to be coddled and will whine and bitch if he feels in any way slighted and will let personal shit detrimentally affect his play, and mangini is an insensitive prick who doesn't understand that some players don't respond to being challenged by an authoritarian.

mangini obviously thinks it's rogers' job to impress him, while rogers thinks it's the other way around. this can only end badly.

You're seriously blaming Mangini for Rogers being a big-ass crybaby? What the hell was wrong with Rogers going and talking to him? xxxx Rogers and his ego. He pulled this shit in Detroit also, yet its Mangini's fault?

i don't mean to say that rodgers is innocent. he may be totally in the wrong here. i think i will just always take sides against mangina because i didn't want him as a coach. i still think jim haslett was a better choice.

here's what we can learn from all this: rogers is a sensitive pussy who needs to be coddled and will whine and bitch if he feels in any way slighted and will let personal shit detrimentally affect his play, and mangini is an insensitive prick who doesn't understand that some players don't respond to being challenged by an authoritarian.

mangini obviously thinks it's rogers' job to impress him, while rogers thinks it's the other way around. this can only end badly.

For my money, spot on!

Apparently the astronomy department at Texas managed to avoid Shaun Rogers' notice. (Maybe it isn't big enough.) Clearly he still thinks the universe revolves around him. Not a very classy attitude, IMO.

WTF are you talking about? Give the new Coach a chance nimrod. Get the defeatist Cleveland attitude the fook out of here. Rodgers is the one with an attitude.

Apparently the astronomy department at Texas managed to avoid Shaun Rogers' notice. (Maybe it isn't big enough.) Clearly he still thinks the universe revolves around him. Not a very classy attitude, IMO.

The guys story above about his actions at the restaurant are eerily reminiscent of Gerard Warren's behavior while he was here.

I think we all need to reserve judgement until we have something to really go on. There's going to be some natural backlash about RAC's firing and a racial chip for awhile until they figure out this is football and the way it is. It's the NFL and coaches are not supposed to be father figures or big brothers.

I hope its not true but if it is it might be a good idea to get raji at #5 rogers may go into the infamous lazy mode if he isnt happy and neither rubin nor robaire can hold the middle this could be a serious problem at the defensive anchor but we need to get rid of the head cases on this team if they dont want to apply themselves so we can move forward...

I've always wondered how a guy like Shaun Rogers could want to play in a 3-4 defense, where the nose tackle does all the work and barely gets any glory. I'm just wondering if Mangini gave him an excuse to be disgruntled, and the true reason is that he dislikes playing in the 3-4.

We've got to be able to get a high first round pick for him. If need be, we can trade him and be ok. We'll have 2 first round draft picks, and possibly more if we'd trade down. With a DA and Rogers trade, we can end up with 3, 4 or 5 picks in the first 2 rounds.

Everything is pointing to Rogers turning into that lazy DT that Detroit warned us about.

It doesn't sound like Rogers is Mangini's kind of player. In that case, get rid of him. Give Mangini a chance and let him get a system started.

Trade him, draft raji. We don't need his me-first attitude.

I love it.

The writers are all bitching about how ManKok don't tell them anything...and that they are distant.

Then they latch onto one player who supposedly got 'dissed' by Mangini and start saying he wants out.

But I have one question....

HAS ANYONE SEEN A QUOTE FROM RODGERS?

NO?

Well, then I am assuming the writers are doing just a bit of artistic license on this one....at least until I hear from the big man himself.

Mangini has already said he is reaching out to each player in turn. Sounds like the rumors may have him move to Rodgers sooner...but I am sure that this can be worked out...unless the Browns don't want it to. Rodgers would be a BIG enticement to KC, GB or any of the other new 3-4 defenses....a trade would get him off our cap...and open us up to get Raji (or if we thought Rubin was good enough) among other options.

Im not in favor of trading or releasing a talent like Rogers unless it becomes a detriment to the team...If the supposed rumours are true,,,,I only have this to say...."Shut the FOOK Up and Play Ball You Asshole!!!!"....Youre under contract!

I can't believe the reaction here to such a BS article. It is just like the article about the FO and Mangini being cool on Quinn.

Rogers hasn't said shit. This is another piece of crap written because their isn't anything else to write about. Not one quote from Rogers or anybody around him. All this assumed from Mangini walking by Rogers and not seeing him. Nothing else. Mangini and Kokinis were locked up in Berea until the combine, so where did the bad feelings come from.

Rogers should be happy as hell because they are going to supply him some help on defense.

Then you read knee jerk reactions here like "trade him" and "Mangini is an asshole"....................are you kidding me. Do you even know if they met yet? Mangini had said they texted each other and plan to meet when he comes into town.

Know how do you get someone wanting to be traded out of that? WTF guys let's not overreact to every piece of shit story with no basis.

It's like Joe Thomas saying he likes the outdoors and enjoyed it up there while he was in college. Next thing you know some asshole is writing that Thomas wants traded to Green Bay.

Go back and look at the shit written here with no basis for the article and not a word from Rogers. Talk about over reaction.

WPB...............help, this is crazy

So if you fire the only coach that Rogers could relate to then Rogers isn't happy?

Never coulda seen that one coming...

Stoke the fire baby.....................................you got about the same integrity as the writer of this story.

That's as stupid as saying DA wasn't worth shit until he teamed up with Chud so now he won't be worth shit again.

Lerner hired a jerk in Mangini. He lost the team in NY and had a divided locker room. So far he continuing being a jerk, business as usual.

And for the poster who wanted his autograph...good ... he should have ignored you.

you are RetardED.

That is all.

Archived