THE BROWNS BOARD

Rogers Unhappy?

EERSandBROWNS

I love rogers the player but dont care for the 'big baby crap" and mangini cant tell me he didnt see rogers at the awards thats not even possible..if he wants out of cleveland we should be able to get a first round pick and part of his bonus covered in hindsight we should have tagged him...mankok claims they want to build from the draft so grab raji at #5 and matthews with rogers pick...trade emo butterfingers edwards for a low first and aquire a WR with it..this me first emo crap is a cancer and mankok needs to stamp it out at any cost...we arent going anywhere this year anyways so why not start to really rebuild a potential winner from this situation?

With FA starting friday and mankok moving "intentionally" in slow motion the best we will get from it is plug in scraps of cousins quality..

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I love rogers the player but dont care for the 'big baby crap" and mangini cant tell me he didnt see rogers at the awards thats not even possible..if he wants out of cleveland we should be able to get a first round pick and part of his bonus covered in hindsight we should have tagged him...mankok claims they want to build from the draft so grab raji at #5 and matthews with rogers pick...trade emo butterfingers edwards for a low first and aquire a WR with it..this me first emo crap is a cancer and mankok needs to stamp it out at any cost...we arent going anywhere this year anyways so why not start to really rebuild a potential winner from this situation?

With FA starting friday and mankok moving "intentionally" in slow motion the best we will get from it is plug in scraps of cousins quality..

Why would we tag Rogers, he's under contract.

Edwards is really the only receiver we have. You can't just trade him and gamble on a rookie. I know you're frustrated but damn!

Why would we tag Rogers, he's under contract.

Edwards is really the only receiver we have. You can't just trade him and gamble on a rookie. I know you're frustrated but damn!

receivers catch footballs.....so what is edwards again?

considering i didn't like this hire in the first place, mangini's gonna turn me into ghoolie if this is how his regime is gonna go. you can't piss off your best players in a domineering attempt to exert your authority and expect to have any success.

I get where you're coming from, JD, but didn't we WANT a coach who would "exert [his] authority" over our dysfunctional crew of me-first cry-babies?

And at the very first, relatively benign signal that Mangini is going to be the HEAD COACH and not the BEST FRIEND, now you're siding with the me-first crybabies?

Not me, man. I honestly do not give one rat's ace what any of the players thinks of Mangini and I'm sure he doesn't either.

Mangini's attitude seems to be "be a man and be a professional and take care of your business and we'll get along just fine." He doesn't seem to want to be any player's friend and he doesn't seem to care about the personal relationships AT THIS POINT. He may eventually care about the player's that get him and his program but he doesn't seem to prioritize ego over business.

Which, frankly, is my personal leadership style preference too. Expecting men to be men and not act like little girls is a plus in my book.

Rogers seems to be acting like a teenage girl who didn't get the attention she wanted from the cute new guy.

Except, he's a very large man crying about a smaller-but-still-large man not talking to him which is even girlier.

considering i didn't like this hire in the first place, mangini's gonna turn me into ghoolie if this is how his regime is gonna go. you can't piss off your best players in a domineering attempt to exert your authority and expect to have any success.

Rodgers is one player out of 22 starters who played for one year in Cleveland. He can be pissed for all I care. He can quit. Really his attitude is not needed.

I don't see this story on Espn, etc...

if it's true, I figure Rodgers wanted to play for a black head coach, and is po'd that

Crennel was fired.

Which, if that's true, would explain why Rodgers didn't go up to Mangini and introduce himself.

Mangini, to Rodgers, perhaps, is the wrong color?

Maybe Mangini can trade Rodgers to the Jets for their NT and a second round pick.

Or, this story isn't really legit and was made up by a reporter from Pittifulburg looking for drama.

My hunch is, Mangini would have been the bad guy to Rodgers, if the story is true, even if Mangini had gone

up to him and tried to have a great conversation.

Remember this guy?

g c yds avg lng td

2007 CLE 16 80 1289 16.1 78 16

It was only 1 season ago...

yeah i do.....so he had one good season. whats his excuse for the other 3?

one good season does not an all-pro make.....consistency does.

No doubt, get Haynesworth and say goodbye to this guy if that's what he wants. Just make sure you get value for him. The stupid ass media has just lowered his trade value for us.

Mangini is a d--k, there's no question. But we need to try our hand at this with a d--k in charge. We had a p-ssy in charge for the last 4 years and where did it get us?

I'd rather have a d--k running the team than a p--sy anyday. Who's with me! :P

I don't see this story on Espn, etc...

if it's true, I figure Rodgers wanted to play for a black head coach, and is po'd that

Crennel was fired.

Which, if that's true, would explain why Rodgers didn't go up to Mangini and introduce himself.

Mangini, to Rodgers, perhaps, is the wrong color?

Maybe Mangini can trade Rodgers to the Jets for their NT and a second round pick.

Or, this story isn't really legit and was made up by a reporter from Pittifulburg looking for drama.

My hunch is, Mangini would have been the bad guy to Rodgers, if the story is true, even if Mangini had gone

up to him and tried to have a great conversation.

First, at this point it is much to do about nothing. It is not about being snubbed, it is about a friend of Rogers being asked to take a pay cut or he will be released and another friend who is a UFA not getting a contract offer. It's normal BS.

I get where you're coming from, JD, but didn't we WANT a coach who would "exert [his] authority" over our dysfunctional crew of me-first cry-babies?

And at the very first, relatively benign signal that Mangini is going to be the HEAD COACH and not the BEST FRIEND, now you're siding with the me-first crybabies?

Not me, man. I honestly do not give one rat's ace what any of the players thinks of Mangini and I'm sure he doesn't either.

Mangini's attitude seems to be "be a man and be a professional and take care of your business and we'll get along just fine." He doesn't seem to want to be any player's friend and he doesn't seem to care about the personal relationships AT THIS POINT. He may eventually care about the player's that get him and his program but he doesn't seem to prioritize ego over business.

Which, frankly, is my personal leadership style preference too. Expecting men to be men and not act like little girls is a plus in my book.

Rogers seems to be acting like a teenage girl who didn't get the attention she wanted from the cute new guy.

Except, he's a very large man crying about a smaller-but-still-large man not talking to him which is even girlier.

i disagree with none of what you've said. i think it's a leader's job to outline their plan to their followers before executing it, which it doesn't seem like mangini has done.

good leaders are open to communication in addition to having and executing a well-thought-out vision that leaves no room for ego.

Good point JD....But rogers whining like a f-king prima donna is maddening. "he didn't say hi to me waaaaaaa" holy fk, shut the fk up and play. I can't believe this dude isn't a 6th grade school girl.

I do agree with good leadership outlining and communicating vision. I thought it a mistake not to gather everyone together first thing and outline and communicate it....disagree with the I'll meet individualy with these players one on one and " when I get to it" stooopid

i disagree with none of what you've said. i think it's a leader's job to outline their plan to their followers before executing it, which it doesn't seem like mangini has done.

good leaders are open to communication in addition to having and executing a well-thought-out vision that leaves no room for ego.

Excellent points and I agree with you on this too.

But it was FEBRUARY when Mangini "dissed" Rogers. He hasn't seen most of the players and hasn't had an opportunity to outline anything to anyone yet. He said he would do that starting in March when the team begins to come together for OTAs and he begins his one-on-ones with players. What Rogers is upset about is that he didn't get special treatment, is what it sounds like.

Look, I'm not defending Mangini if he actually snubbed Rogers, as in he avoided him or walked the other way on him or turned his back on him. But nobody is saying that's what happened. What we know is that they were at the same event and may or may not have been in the same room. A "room" can be a ballroom or a dressing room and we don't know which it was, so the facts are a bit sketchy, right?

But from the sound of it, Rogers has his panties bunched because Mangini didn't go OUT OF HIS WAY to introduce himself.

And if that's truly the case? Then Rogers is a girl and Mangini has my full support because I don't think any head coach needs to bow at the feet of any player, even if he could eat him. (Take that either way, it still works.)

But it was FEBRUARY when Mangini "dissed" Rogers. He hasn't seen most of the players and hasn't had an opportunity to outline anything to anyone yet. He said he would do that starting in March when the team begins to come together for OTAs and he begins his one-on-ones with players. What Rogers is upset about is that he didn't get special treatment, is what it sounds like.

Look, I'm not defending Mangini if he actually snubbed Rogers, as in he avoided him or walked the other way on him or turned his back on him. But nobody is saying that's what happened. What we know is that they were at the same event and may or may not have been in the same room. A "room" can be a ballroom or a dressing room and we don't know which it was, so the facts are a bit sketchy, right?

But from the sound of it, Rogers has his panties bunched because Mangini didn't go OUT OF HIS WAY to introduce himself.

And if that's truly the case? Then Rogers is a girl and Mangini has my full support because I don't think any head coach needs to bow at the feet of any player, even if he could eat him. (Take that either way, it still works.)

I don't even think Rogers has his panties in a bunch, I think this whole story was fabricated.

I don't even think Rogers has his panties in a bunch, I think this whole story was fabricated.

I doubt it, Adam, because there's too much smoke for it to be fabricated.

And Rogers' agent hasn't denied any of it which he would certainly do if someone was out there trying to make his giant-man client sound like a little girl.

Weight mandate among issues prompting Shaun Rogers to ask Cleveland Browns for his release

by Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer Reporter

CLEVELAND -- Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers has formally asked to be traded or released by the Browns and isn't likely to change his mind, a source close to Rogers said.

Browns coach Eric Mangini has been trying to call the disgruntled tackle, but it's not yet known if the two have talked. Chances are, it wouldn't do much good anyway.

Rogers is miffed not just about being snubbed by Mangini on two occasions, but also by a directive he received from an unknown club official regarding the offseason weight program.

Despite playing all last season at his required weight -- which was listed at 350 -- Rogers was told by the Browns not to bother showing up for the offseason program on March 16th unless he was at a prescribed weight.

The mandate angered Rogers because he was in compliance with his weight all last season. What's more, he played on a sore knee much of the year and with a sore shoulder for most of the second half. He left one game with a neck stinger and returned, never missing any time because of the injuries.

Rogers came to Cleveland with a reputation for his weight ballooning in the second half of seasons, especially in 2007 when it was said that he ran out of gas. That never happened here. In fact, Rogers played some of his best ball down the stretch in 2008, despite the fact the Browns were out of the playoff hunt and in disarray.

Rogers is also upset that the team failed to reach out to him even after they knew he was miffed about the snubs and the weight issue. The club knew that there was a sense of urgency on Rogers' part, but failed to respond until he asked to be released.

Only now is Mangini trying to contact Rogers, and it may very well be too late.

Rogers' agent, Kennard McGuire, made it clear on Wednesday that Rogers' issues have nothing to do with money or his contract. In fact, he'd rather be released than earn the $15 million he's still owed, including a $6 million option bonus due next month.

The unfortunate part -- for Rogers and the Browns -- is that Rogers was rejuvenated in Cleveland and had a Pro Bowl season after virtually being run out of Detroit, where he was viewed as lazy and underacheiving. Rogers also rehabilitated his public image here. He was the best player the Browns had on defense last season and the cornerstone of the 3-4 defense.

It appears now that Rogers would rather play elsewhere than deal with the new regime. For his part, Mangini has said he values Rogers highly, wants him on the team and never meant to snub or disrespect him. It's not known if the weight mandate came from Mangini or someone else.

rogers has been treated like he's special his whole life and he pouts like a spoiled english seven-year-old when he doesn't get what he wants. getting special treatment is part of being an elite athlete, and that often doesn't mesh well with someone who doesn't immediately cater to his ego.

i thought the reports said that rogers and mangini were in the green room together, but you're definitely right about the size of the room being debatable.

still, it doesn't make sense to me that a new manager wouldn't want to go out of his way to introduce himself to one of his most valuable employees if they're at the same event. it also seems like mangini could've cleared this all up a while ago with something as simple as a phone call. it's his job as a coach/manager to understand how to get the best out of his people.

if rogers were a man, he'd understand that his new coach is an extremely busy man right now and has to get a ton of shit done before he can worry about the people who are already on the roster, but rogers is a tiny, tiny boy in a huge man's body. he's about nine years old mentally and doesn't understand anything about being a mature human being.

i think both parties are really at fault here, but mangini's supposed to be the smart one who understands how athletes work and how to get the best out of them. in the culture of the NFL, where teams often rally around disrespect, he has to know that slighting his players, even in a small way, can short-circuit any working relationship he's establishing because many star players are immature beyond our wildest imagination.

edit: the article above got posted while i was writing this. the weight guy should've kept his mouth shut, and rogers is being a little bitch not answering his phone. he's, again, an angry kid giving his parents the silent treatment. it's also unfortunate that mangini could have cleared this up earlier with a simple phone call. one of the big problems with the last regime was how the GM handled his players, and it seems like we have the same problem with our coach this time around.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/..._issues_pr.html

Weight mandate among issues prompting Shaun Rogers to ask Cleveland Browns to release him

by Mary Kay Cabot / Plain Dealer Reporter

Thursday February 26, 2009, 2:09 PM

Plain Dealer photoShawn Rogers has asked for his release from the Browns.

CLEVELAND -- Pro Bowl nose tackle Shaun Rogers has formally asked to be traded or released by the Browns and isn't likely to change his mind, a source close to Rogers said.

Browns coach Eric Mangini has been trying to call the disgruntled tackle, but it's not yet known if the two have talked. Chances are, it wouldn't do much good anyway.

Rogers is miffed not just about being snubbed by Mangini on two occasions, but also by a directive he received from an unknown club official regarding the offseason weight program.

Despite playing all last season at his required weight -- which was listed at 350 -- Rogers was told by the Browns not to bother showing up for the offseason program on March 16th unless he was at a prescribed weight.

The mandate angered Rogers because he was in compliance with his weight all last season. What's more, he played on a sore knee much of the year and with a sore shoulder for most of the second half. He left one game with a neck stinger and returned, never missing any time because of the injuries.

Rogers came to Cleveland with a reputation for his weight ballooning in the second half of seasons, especially in 2007 when it was said that he ran out of gas. That never happened here. In fact, Rogers played some of his best ball down the stretch in 2008, despite the fact the Browns were out of the playoff hunt and in disarray.

Rogers is also upset that the team failed to reach out to him even after they knew he was miffed about the snubs and the weight issue. The club knew that there was a sense of urgency on Rogers' part, but failed to respond until he asked to be released.

Only now is Mangini trying to contact Rogers, and it may very well be too late.

Rogers' agent, Kennard McGuire, made it clear on Wednesday that Rogers' issues have nothing to do with money or his contract. In fact, he'd rather be released than earn the $15 million he's still owed, including a $6 million option bonus due next month.

The unfortunate part -- for Rogers and the Browns -- is that Rogers was rejuvenated in Cleveland and had a Pro Bowl season after virtually being run out of Detroit, where he was viewed as lazy and underacheiving. Rogers also rehabilitated his public image here. He was the best player the Browns had on defense last season and the cornerstone of the 3-4 defense.

It appears now that Rogers would rather play elsewhere than deal with the new regime. For his part, Mangini has said he values Rogers highly, wants him on the team and never meant to snub or disrespect him. It's not known if the weight mandate came from Mangini or someone else.

September can't come fast enough.......

I have my reservations about Mangini, but....

Mangini is busy right now. Very busy.

Rogers is eating right now. Eating a lot.

Neither is blameless, let's hope it's still salvageable. If not... I side with Mangini on this.

Just another offseason in Cleveland.

Guest 88fingerslewy
Am I the only guy that thinks BE's dumb ass cost us the season? He had more Key drops than anyone I can ever remember wearing Brown and Orange...including Morgan and northcutt combined.
No Solon you're not the only one who thinks that.

I'll even go further and say he cost DA his starting job.

We'll never know how some of the games outcomes could've changed if some of BE's drive-killing drops never happened. DA's confidence HAD to be affected by it.

I'll go even further. Stalled drives put the D on the field earlier than they should be. Shorter rest on the bench....blah....blah....blah....now the D is gassed and we're getting scored on.

BE is supposed to be THE GUY. He's supposed to make plays and CATCH the F**KING BALL!!!! Well he didn't and look what happened.

Guest Masters
September can't come fast enough.......

I have my reservations about Mangini, but....

Mangini is busy right now. Very busy.

Rogers is eating right now. Eating a lot.

Neither is blameless, let's hope it's still salvageable. If not... I side with Mangini on this.

Just another offseason in Cleveland.

There are no real stories coming out, so I still lean toward this being blown out of proportion so far by the local media. You aren't hearing much about it on national programs, and if it was a big ta-do, we would be.

I still stand by earlier statement, that Rogers just as easily could have approached Mangini in either of the scenarios he's miffed about.

Guest Masters

We'll never know how some of the games outcomes could've changed if some of BE's drive-killing drops never happened. DA's confidence HAD to be affected by it.

I'll go even further. Stalled drives put the D on the field earlier than they should be. Shorter rest on the bench....blah....blah....blah....now the D is gassed and we're getting scored on.

BE is supposed to be THE GUY. He's supposed to make plays and CATCH the F**KING BALL!!!! Well he didn't and look what happened.

So DA has nothing to do with DA's gator arms that suddenly showed up?

In 2008 BE and Winslow time after time made the tough catch and took the big hit. Most of those times DA led them into the big hit or threw to them when he shouldn't have, yet they went up, made the grab, and took the big hit anyway. In the last 5-6 games of 2007, you would see time and time again BE and Winslow shaking their head after the play while looking back at DA, almost saying "WTF!".

BE has his issues, no doubt, but I firmly believe his case of the dropsies/gator arms is a result of DA's QB'ing.

He also made DA a probowler in 07, so lets get behind him this year and hope he make BQ a probowler

If Rogers want out he will have to rework his contract and if he does then im all for trading him. He has all kinds of talent but one person doesnt win games. If we trade him Smith can take over at NT where he belongs. Rogers had a good season but it didnt put do much for the Browns.

I think the draft picks and the cap we save with this move will help us more when it actually counts. Obviously Im not expecting much next year.

Guest Masters

I am pretty sure there is no way to rework his deal and CLE to still not take a huge cap hit. The hit is for the remaining pro-rated signing bonus he already got.

Smith already needed to be shipped out, so I sure as heck don't want to see Rogers gone and CLE having to go with that tool shed.

Archived