THE BROWNS BOARD

Private Workouts & Visits

We need Tom Tupa

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like that those draft guys feature a lot of day two guys that the Kipers of the world rarely even talk about. But according to them, everyone is fantastic and a future pro, when in reality only a small number of the guys they feature are ever going to start in the NFL. These are mostly guys that are hoping to get on a 53-man roster or the practice squad.

Guest Aloysius
I like that those draft guys feature a lot of day two guys that the Kipers of the world rarely even talk about. But according to them, everyone is fantastic and a future pro, when in reality only a small number of the guys they feature are ever going to start in the NFL. These are mostly guys that are hoping to get on a 53-man roster or the practice squad.

They were a lot more critical of guys last year - just check out their profile of Paul Hubbard. I don't know why they stopped doing that.

Guest Aloysius

Apparently, Ramses Barden isn't the only west coast prospect Mangini's meeting with. According to Brent "Sobo" Sobleski, Mangini's going to meet with San Jose State DE-DT Jarron Gilbert.

Here's some footage of Gilbert:

And here's a scouting report on the San Jose State product:

Positives:

Rare athleticism for a player of his size...Versatile defender with experience at defensive tackle and defensive end...Good size potential...Naturally large man with room for plenty of additional muscle mass...Good initial quickness off the snap...Flashes the functional upper-body strength to disengage from blockers...Surprising balance for his height...Can break down in space and make the secure tackle...At least adequate closing speed for a player his size...Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter...Long arms and capable of batting down passes and potentially kicks...Often battled two or three blockers as a senior...Helped himself with a strong week of practice at the East-West Shrine Game... Ascending talent -- might be just scratching the surface of his potential.

Negatives:

Bit of a "tweener."...Struggles with leverage inside and might lack the burst off the snap and flexibility to flank the tackle and close effectively as a defensive end...Too often allows blockers to get into his chest...Inconsistent getting his hands up in the passing lanes...Questionable level of competition...A better raw athlete than football player...Some maturity concerns...Might be considered a one-year wonder after a breakout senior season.

Guest Aloysius

Wow - according to the OBR, the Browns are bringing in USC QB Mark Sanchez, as well as WR Patrick Turner, LB Clay Matthews, and DE Kyle Moore, in for official visits.

Guest Aloysius

I was a Quinn skeptic back in '07, but I'd really hate it if we took Sanchez at #5. There are just as many reasons to doubt that he'll be a successful NFL QB, if not more.

I was a Quinn skeptic back in '07, but I'd really hate it if we took Sanchez at #5. There are just as many reasons to doubt that he'll be a successful NFL QB, if not more.

For starters (pun intended), a season's worth of starts.

I think Sanchez is going to be a solid QB, but we have Sanchez - with 2 years in the NFL (and some experience) and far cheaper than a #5 price tag.

no thanks, we don't need anyone to do completely stupid things. we have enough of those people.

Well, lets just shoot everybody that ever made a mistake. Screw this 2nd chance BS. Hell, we could get rid of most of the team and coaches. Just about everyone has done something stupid. But there wouldn't be anybody else to bring in because they have all done somthing stupid also.

These are late round or UDFA local tryouts.

overall, i agree. there's nothing about sanchez that says "i'm the guy" to me. QBs are, in so many ways, all about intangibles, and there's very little about sanchez that's positive outside of his measurables.

save drafting first round QBs for guys like carson palmer, peyton manning and ben roethlisberger: QBs who've put teams on their backs, not guys who've been surrounded by tons of talent and haven't produced.

Sanchez would be a fit at Denver's number 12 pick? if we trade BQ to Denver, swap our first pick (5) with Denver's (12) and get the Jets number one pick. Have Anderson and groom Sanchez

We've been grooming Quinn for two years and now you want to groom another QB. Did you ever think it could be a diversion to get San Fran to trade up.

Why do you want to trade Quinn for Sanchez? What has Sanchez done to make you think he is better then Quinn? What makes you think Denver wants Quinn, maybe they would want Sanchez if he's better then Quinn. Maybe Quinns already going to Chicago like the other stupid rumor.

We've been grooming Quinn for two years and now you want to groom another QB. Did you ever think it could be a diversion to get San Fran to trade up.

Why do you want to trade Quinn for Sanchez? What has Sanchez done to make you think he is better then Quinn? What makes you think Denver wants Quinn, maybe they would want Sanchez if he's better then Quinn. Maybe Quinns already going to Chicago like the other stupid rumor.

Never said I want to get Sanchez, only replied to why are we bringing Sanchez in for a tryout. It very will could be for a smoke screen to get San Fran to trade up, or for some other reason. It could be they hate Quinn and want him gone, could be just to piss you off.

Guest Aloysius
I actually think Sanchez will be decent if he gets to sit for a year or two.

I don't disagree, but I worry about the deer in the headlights look he had in the two OSU games.

The worst was near the end of the first half of the Ohio State game. USC had just inched into the red zone with little time left on the clock. It's obvious what the QB needs to do in that situation: look for the TD pass or for a guy who can easily get out of bounds; if the defense isn't giving you anything, just throw it out the back of the end zone. And Sanchez obviously knew that.

But on the first down play, he dropped back and almost immediately threw it out of the end zone, which left me scratching my head. Then, on the following play, he throws it to the right corner of the end zone for an easy OSU interception. He just seemed like a smart guy who completely lost his composure in a close, high pressure game. When USC's defense couldn't bail him out in the Oregon State game, I saw a lot of the same thing.

Maybe more experience will change that, but it's something that would concern me if we were to take him at #5.

According to Scout.com, the Browns are planning on bringing Rey Maualuga and Jasper Brinkley in for official team visits.

Rey is the best cover LBer in college football. ;)

Guest Aloysius

theOBR reported that USC receiver Patrick Turner will be coming in for a draft visit. In addition to that, we have this report from USC's first spring practice:

** About 1,000 people attended practice. Among those seen on the sidelines: Ex-Trojans Chris Claiborne, Brian Cushing, Kevin Ellison, Matt Leinart, Deuce Lutui, Rey Maualuga and Patrick Turner, who chatted with Cleveland Browns coach Eric Mangini afterward.

Guest Aloysius

According to TFY Draft, the Browns privately worked out South Carolina OG Jamon Meredith last week. He's reportedly the top-ranked guard on the Browns' draft board.

Browns | Knox interviewed at NFL Combine

Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:19:21 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports the Cleveland Browns had a formal interview with Abilene Christian WR Johnny Knox at the NFL Scouting Combine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browns | Pedescleaux to visit in April

Sun, 29 Mar 2009 15:05:05 -0700

Josh Buchanan, of NFLDraftBible.com, reports Northern Iowa DT Everette Pedescleaux has a visit scheduled with the Cleveland Browns in April.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Browns | Chung works out for team

Sun, 29 Mar 2009 10:06:09 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports University of Hawaii S Patrick Chung said he has worked out for the Cleveland Browns.

Archived