THE BROWNS BOARD

Private Workouts & Visits

We need Tom Tupa

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/13/...sit-four-teams/

MICHAEL JOHNSON TO VISIT FOUR TEAMS

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 13, 2009, 1:26 p.m. EDT

Georgia Tech defensive end Michael Johnson, a potential first-round draft pick, has set up private workouts/visits with the Atlanta Falcons, Washington Redskins, Cleveland Browns and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, according to a league source.

Johnson is scheduled to visit the Buccaneers on April 2, the Redskins on April 4, the Browns on April 8 and the Falcons on Monday.

At 6-foot-6, 266 pounds, Johnson is a tall, lanky pass rusher who registered nine sacks and 17 1/2 tackles for losses last season and was named All-Atlantic Coast Conference. He was a finalist for the Bednarik and Hendricks awards.

According to a league source, the Green Bay Packers are high on Johnson.

The Cincinnati Bengals were well-represented at Johnson’s Pro Day.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A little to lite for my liking he will be a running backs railroad express lane in the nfl once those gaurds and tackles or even a 260 lb blocking TE get him in their line of sight..

We cant really afford to dabble with situational players right now we need solid all terrain players...

the problem with johnson is that he has the measurables to be an every-down player; what's holding him back is that he's pillsbury soft.

you'd think mangini would have learned the "workout warrior who underperforms on game day" lesson with vernon gholston, but being in any way linked to johnson shows he definitely hasn't.

Guest Aloysius
Might be looking at him in case he slips to #36.

Yeah, I suspect that's what we're doing, both with Johnson and Laurinaitis.

There still are guys in the NFL who didn't play up to their potential in college that have went on to become very good NFL players. I wouldn't count this kid out. His athletic skills and upside is huge.

Sure, Michael Johnson possesses elite speed and athleticism for a guy his size, but he also has terrible playing strength. He can't bull rush and gets absolutely mauled in the run game.

As I said in another thread, he could have some success as a situational pass rusher. If you put him in a Jim Johnson/Spagnuolo scheme where he could stay off the field on run downs and blitz behind four other guys, he could do some serious damage. But we're looking for a guy who can man the SOLB spot on run downs & get to the QB by bull or speed rush.

If we drafted him, we'd be getting Alex Hall with a little more athleticism and a lot less heart. And in the end, that's not an improvement over what we have, so - like JD - I'd have serious qualms if ManKok took this guy at #36.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, check out this footage from the Florida State game.

A casual fan watching that game would have noticed the three times #93 got to the QB and thought, "Wow, this guy's a great player!" But if you keyed on 1) how he holds up against the run, and 2) whether he ever actually beats an offensive lineman with his rush moves, you'd come away with serious doubts as to whether he'll be a productive NFL player.

Yeah, I suspect that's what we're doing, both with Johnson and Laurinaitis.

Sure, Michael Johnson possesses elite speed and athleticism for a guy his size, but he also has terrible playing strength. He can't bull rush and gets absolutely mauled in the run game.

As I said in another thread, he could have some success as a situational pass rusher. If you put him in a Jim Johnson/Spagnuolo scheme where he could stay off the field on run downs and blitz behind four other guys, he could do some serious damage. But we're looking for a guy who can man the SOLB spot on run downs & get to the QB by bull or speed rush.

If we drafted him, we'd be getting Alex Hall with a little more athleticism and a lot less heart. And in the end, that's not an improvement over what we have, so - like JD - I'd have serious qualms if ManKok took this guy at #36.

If you want to see what I'm talking about, check out this footage from the Florida State game.

A casual fan watching that game would have noticed the three times #93 got to the QB and thought, "Wow, this guy's a great player!" But if you keyed on 1) how he holds up against the run, and 2) whether he ever actually beats an offensive lineman with his rush moves, you'd come away with serious doubts as to whether he'll be a productive NFL player.

Yep, he does seem to play soft.

But I think scouts wouldn't be overly concerned with this film because he's the in the three. Stand him up and allow him to use his speed and it could be a whole different story.

But I do also agree with you point about Hall. The Brown already have Wimbley and Hall. You'd be adding yet another player in the same mold.

I'm still excited by Alex Hall. I think he could develope into something special.

I agree completely. I wouldn't touch this guy.

I can't remember WHO it was saying this guy was gonna test extremely well in Indy BUT he didn't think Johnson had the character to make much of it transferable. I think it was Mayock. Pretty well put!

We can't afford another guy that's not really that passionate about football the day after he signs on the dotted line. I'm guessing we're working SOME guys out to throw off the scent of whom we are really interested in.

Man, our needs are changing by the second. All of a sudden, we're anorexic at Safety and we're not much bulkier at WR - especially with current events impacting things.

You don't win many games when you don't have playmakers in key places.

So now our priorities look to be:

OLB/Pass Rusher

RB

WR

Safety

Right Tackle (Tucker hasn't played a 16 game season for us in how many years? I think Womack got moved to OG on his last team but that could have changed. Both he and Tucker don't have the highest volume of starts over the last few years so I'd hate to put all our marbles into these 2 guys)

I like JD's idea of the tradedown if we're going grocery shopping hungry. We gotta bulk up alot of key areas in a hurry or we're gonna stay stuck on pause looking like a 4-5 win team. More picks and I'd like to stop saying I MISS Clay Matthews if ya know what I mean. LOVE the new one!!!

In addition, we don't the soap opera confusion of 2 QBs this franchise can't decide on any longer. Make a decision with the understanding ONLY 1 guy plays at time so the exchange value filling other holes in the roster is vitally important.

- Tom F.

Guest Aloysius
Chip Vaughn is being scheduled and they want to bring in Donald Brown also.

Where is this being reported? If you could provide a link, it'd be much appreciated.

Guest Aloysius

According to Doug Farrar of Scout.com, the Browns have worked out safety Louis Delmas. And East Coast Sports News claims the Browns have worked out Utah CB Brice McCain.

So far, I've seen us linked to the following names:

• Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
  • Brian Orakpo, DE-OLB, Texas
  • James Laurinaitis, LB, OSU
  • Michael Johnson, DE-OLB, Georgia Tech
  • Louis Delmas, S, Western Michigan
  • Asher Allen, CB, Georgia
  • Brice McCain, CB-KR, Utah

Guest Aloysius
[Georgia] Cornerback Asher Allen had a solid day yesterday. He ran his forty's in the mid 4.4-second area and looked good in position drills. Allen will workout for the Cleveland Browns today.

According to nfldraftscout, Allen is expected to be a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick.

Guest Aloysius
When you play in a hard-nosed division like the AFC North, a division that’s known for it’s rushing attacks, adding physical, athletic lineman up front is critical. So, it’s no surprise that three of the four teams in the division are after the same interior force. A source told Scout.com that the Pittsburgh Steelers, Cincinnati Bengals and Cleveland Browns will entertain Louisville C Eric Wood over the next few weeks.

Steelers offensive line coach Larry Zierlein will fly to Louisville and conduct a private workout with Wood on April 6th, the Bengals will host Wood at their facility on April 14th and the Browns will do the same on April 15th.

Guest Aloysius

According to TFY Draft, the Browns have workouts scheduled with two Oklahoma products: offensive tackle Phil Loadholt and center Jon Cooper.

Guest Aloysius
Thanks for the updates and it's also interesting the the only 2 offensive guys brought in are 2 OL and no RB WR or QB.

Good point. I suspect RB may not be much of a priority. In New York, Mangini saw Thomas Jones' production drastically improve after he beefed up the OL. He might think he can do the same with JLew: Jamal's YPC in '08 (3.6) is the same as the one Thomas Jones registered in '07.

As for receiver, I expect we'll hear some names in the near future. The Browns reportedly interviewed a ton of receivers at the Combine, and the Stallworth craziness makes it even more of a need.

Guest Aloysius
TENNESSEE CORNERBACK MAKING HIS NFL BID

Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 23, 2009, 11:38 a.m.

University of Tennessee cornerback DeAngelo Willingham has been drawing increased interest from NFL scouts and has official visits scheduled with the Jacksonville Jaguars, Cleveland Browns and St. Louis Rams, according to a league source.

Willingham has also had private workouts with the Detroit Lions, Philadelphia Eagles and the Miami Dolphins.

At 5-foot-11, 217 pounds, he’s also being scouted as a free safety.

At his Pro Day, Willingham ran the 40-yard dash in 4.46 seconds, bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times and registered a 36 1/2 inch vertical leap and a 10-7 broad jump.

The junior college transfer recorded 42 tackles and three interceptions last season.

Guest Aloysius
It's not a secret that Wake Forest University's Aaron Curry is the top rated player on most NFL team's draft boards and the outside linebacker is starting to make his pre-draft visits.

Curry has already visited the Detroit Lions and a league source told Scout.com that Curry has visits also scheduled with the Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, and Kansas City Chiefs.

According to Scout.com, the Browns worked out Illinois CB Vontae Davis last Friday.

These are the moves that lead me to believe we think there is a good chance we will be moving or picking up some extra picks. Davis is nowhere near the #5 pick and is nowhere near our pick in the 2nd.

He is a late teens-mdi-twenties selection.

Trading Quinn would probably involve us sending Quinn and our pick at #5 overall to Denver, and both Denver and NY shipping us their first rounders which off the top of my head are at #12 ans #17...since we would be trading a bit to much, we will probably get a 2nd or 3rd from NY to equalize the deal.

Denver gets Quinn and a high first rounder for Cutler......fair

We lose ground but end up with two first rounders and say a 2nd for Quinn.....fair(net gain of a 1st rounder and a 2nd rounder)

NY gets Cutler for a 1st and a 2nd...they may have to give up another pick somewhere...possibly next year....probably to Denver...I don't think we would be owed more.....but that high 1st pick is worth a good deal.....maybe we would get a pick next year.

Yep...that sounds better.

Guest Aloysius

I think Grossi reported recently that the Browns want to trade down. We may be interested in Cutler, but I think working out guys like Davis is just due diligence in case somebody offers us a boatload of picks in exchange for the privilege of drafting Michael Crabtree or one of the QB's.

And not to make this another Cutler thread, but I thought this article/post was interesting:

Jay Cutler, Bus Cook, and the Soil From Which Record-Setting Contracts Grow

Here's an updated list of the guys we've been linked to:

• Aaron Curry, LB, Wake Forest
  • Brian Orakpo, DE-OLB, Texas
  • Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
  • Clay Matthews, DE-OLB, USC
  • Michael Johnson, DE-OLB, Georgia Tech
  • Sean Smith, CB-S, Utah
  • Alex Mack, C, Cal
  • Eric Wood, C, Louisville
  • Pat White, QB-WR, West Virginia
  • James Laurinaitis, LB, OSU
  • Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
  • Asher Allen, CB, Georgia
  • Jon Cooper, C, Oklahoma
  • Joe Burnett, CB, UCF
  • Brice McCain, CB-KR, Utah
  • DeAngleo Willingham, CB, Tennessee

Guest Aloysius

Some other guys coming in for visits:

• Evander "Ziggy" Hood, DT, Missouri
  • Andy Levitre, OL, Oregon State

Guest Aloysius

Here's a profile of a guy the Browns have worked out, UCF corner Joe Burnett.

The point about his 40 time is a bit misleading; some had him timed as slow as 4.58.

Archived