THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns 2015 Schedule

Zombo

And riddle me this: why is it that the so called "healthy foods" have to cost double the price? Gipper

The trouble is, to mass produce food, there are obstacles - weather, insects, and diseases.

It affects larger producers if they are organic, and like us, smaller producers with giant

gardens (like somewhere around 800 + tomato plants).

Most big growers, if not all, use insecticide on crops to protect them, and chemicals to

prevent diseases. Like soybeans - they use Roundup or Roundup equivalent to kill all weeds

before planting, then they use Roundup again to kill the weeds back again. Then they use a lot

of artificial fertilizers, and keep planting the same crop again and again, depending on prices of beans and corn,

and the soil wears out, and they use more fertilizers.....

Organic means you don't use all that crap. There is stuff to kill insects that isn't artificial, like Bacillus Thuringiensis,

a harmless to humans bacteria that kills tomato hornworms. Organic means you don't use all that artificial crap. It also means you get some great taste, instead of the blah of tomatoes with thick, tough skin

(travels with no bruising on mass production scale), and they don't taste good.

And a sulfur spray to protect from diseases....But going natural is a lot more expensive. Then the weather can hit

and some farmers have had to replant. to plant about 13 acres, it costs about 1000 bucks for seed, and for corn

that uses a lot of nitrogen - the fertilizer is more expensive since ammonium nitrate, I think it was, was used as a bomb

in Oklahoma.

Can't wait for the draft......

spot on....

Plus to produce "organic" food, you(and your land) have to be certified and meet a million government requirements.....which is really REALLY expensive....

If you just grow food with chemicals and fertilizers in any ole dirt...then there are no standards or requirements to meet....

But if you claim to grow healthy "organic" food.....THEN you need special never fertilized clean soil, a government issued certification to produce, detailed written reports on all things produced, etc etc etc.....(a red tape nightmare)

The irony is that if one little thing is off, then the organic food cannot be consumed(or at least sold as organic), yet it may be much healthier than the non-organic foods allowed on your store shelf all day every day......

So....natural food has a lot of extra requirements that unnatural manufactured foods dont....

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All true - but I heard that you "could" be certified organic if the land hadn't been

either used or sprayed with crap for at least 3 years....

As a small producer of mostly tomatoes, getting certified "Organic" is ridiculously expensive,

so we just say "All Natural". We've had a -lot- of customers at the farmer's markets tell us

that they will only buy from us, and they hope to never eat a tomato from a store again.

But the food is so much healthier and better tasting. I've had two customers who said they would

never eat a tomato again - they taste like "you-know-what"..... and I give them one of ours,

and they both ended up great customers.

Especially(and ironically) with Almonds......and Pecans.....

My Bro is in the nut business in Tucson and I can tell you that Almonds and Pecans are getting scarce and about to skyrocket in price......Arizona and California are about outta water and production is freefalling to record low #'s right now.......so both are about to disappear from our menu.......get your almond joys while you still can......

Pecans shouldn't be an issue. I would think more pecans are grown in like GA or SC than Calif.

All true - but I heard that you "could" be certified organic if the land hadn't been

either used or sprayed with crap for at least 3 years....

As a small producer of mostly tomatoes, getting certified "Organic" is ridiculously expensive,

so we just say "All Natural". We've had a -lot- of customers at the farmer's markets tell us

that they will only buy from us, and they hope to never eat a tomato from a store again.

But the food is so much healthier and better tasting. I've had two customers who said they would

never eat a tomato again - they taste like "you-know-what"..... and I give them one of ours,

and they both ended up great customers.

Where do you sell your products? I understand you are from the Canton area....which is not that far away from me. The admins here I suspect won't mind if you give yourself a free plug.

(and to keep this relevent to the thread.....you could set up a stand and provide your product at the Tailgate that apparently will take place at the Titans game)

Pecans shouldn't be an issue. I would think more pecans are grown in like GA or SC than Calif.

Well, another irony, as my bro runs one of the largest Pecan farms in the world.... just south of Tucson.....and they are getting into trouble right now.....actually stepping UP production before the floor completely drops.....

And anticipating whats about to happen(and is happening now)....they've just purchased a bunch of land in Georgia and are planting new trees now, which wont yield any nuts for another decade or so.....which is about where they predict their current operation will die(if the drought continues).....

and they are also investing to build warehouse coolers just to stockpile....cause although he's a Pecan farmer, he is also a major broker for a variety of other nuts....including almonds(of course).....and, believe me, they are like little squirrels right now.....just buying, stocking, storing and waiting.....

so, yes, Georgia is about to start producing MORE.....because the States out west will no longer be able to.....

Where do you sell your products? I understand you are from the Canton area....which is not that far away from me. The admins here I suspect won't mind if you give yourself a free plug.

(and to keep this relevent to the thread.....you could set up a stand and provide your product at the Tailgate that apparently will take place at the Titans game) Gipper

Right now, the little Canal Fulton market, and the Green Farmer's market. I haven't decided

to go with the Cuyahoga Falls market. The Green market is a short season because they are building a new

park to have the market there as part of it next year. We will have a stand out front of the garden this year,

with more than just tomatoes, but the tomato sales have rocked - we sell a lot of ground cherry tomatoes, and

Sunsugar cherry, the best mix of heirloom, open-pollenated and hybrid we can do.

Gip, you are that close? Email me.

Georgia is the top Pecan producing state by far......right at 41%, doubling the next closest.

There is a reason why when you think of Pecan pie, you think of the south. Most people who drive to Florida end up driving through Georgia. Once you get down about Macon, all those trees in rows are Pecan trees, and there are lot's of trees in rows in south Georgia.

(and to keep this relevent to the thread.....you could set up a stand and provide your product at the Tailgate that apparently will take place at the Titans game) Gipper

Right now, the little Canal Fulton market, and the Green Farmer's market. I haven't decided

to go with the Cuyahoga Falls market. The Green market is a short season because they are building a new

park to have the market there as part of it next year. We will have a stand out front of the garden this year,

with more than just tomatoes, but the tomato sales have rocked - we sell a lot of ground cherry tomatoes, and

Sunsugar cherry, the best mix of heirloom, open-pollenated and hybrid we can do.

I live in Akron and spend a lot of time in the green/uniontown area, I'll gladly buy some tomatoes off of you considering how supermarket tomatoes are an embarrassment to nightshades the world over.

I live in Akron and spend a lot of time in the green/uniontown area, I'll gladly buy some tomatoes off of you considering how supermarket tomatoes are an embarrassment to nightshades the world over. Royce

Deal ! Westside Steve has stopped by - you can ask him about em....

I really hate waiting for the draft. I just wish the Browns had five picks in the first round -

I'd be picking Shelton, Collins, Kevin White, Dupree, and Erik Lowe cb/FS

CDJ3xvOWIAAv9_N.jpg

Honestly, the only game that gives me any concern at all is a possible letdown against the Chiefs Week 16. We go into their home, and they are probably fighting for a playoff spot, we're 14-0 and have clinched everything and are looking ahead to a season-ending victory party with a stomping of the Steelers so bad it sends them back to 1969.

If we aren't completely focused for that one it could be a trap game and we end up 15-1. But I doubt Pet lets that happen.

Zombo

Disregard if this has already been posted but the Steelers have the most difficult schedule in the NFL.

Bengals at #2

The Browns are not too far back at #9.

The Rats at #11

This must mean the division standings will play out as follows...

1. Baltimore

2. Cleveland

3. Cincinnati

4. Pittsburgh

Say it aint so!!!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25066031/2015-nfl-strength-of-schedule-steelers-at-no-1-falcons-at-no-32

Yay!

Looks like they already have excuse #1 for when we crush them (again)(for the 2nd year in a row)

Works in our favor as we tend to play down to lesser competition and lose games we shouldn't.

Works in our favor as we tend to play down to lesser competition and lose games we shouldn't.

dude, you are classic.

you're like the itch on the bottom of your foot you can't get to while you're on the phone with a distributor. you just want to peel your shoe off and dig at it with a bowie knife knowing that it will be the best feeling in the world once you pierce the skin.

stay classy shittsburgh!

Neither Canal Fulton nor Green are very far from me. I may some day stop by.

I eat tomato sandwiches. My wife thinks that's crazy. Crazy good sometimes.

How would your tomatos be on a whole wheat tomato sandwich.

Honestly, the only game that gives me any concern at all is a possible letdown against the Chiefs Week 16. We go into their home, and they are probably fighting for a playoff spot, we're 14-0 and have clinched everything and are looking ahead to a season-ending victory party with a stomping of the Steelers so bad it sends them back to 1969.

If we aren't completely focused for that one it could be a trap game and we end up 15-1. But I doubt Pet lets that happen.

Zombo

OK Z. Sorry to run this thread off the rails. (Maybe the Chiefs will wear their all red uniforms and just look like bit tomatos?)

Hope the record is 3-1 going into the Ravens game, if it's 1-3 it's going to be another long season.

what long season?

last year was the first glimpse of hope in 7 years.

go balls out and get some friggin positivity.

Hope the record is 3-1 going into the Ravens game, if it's 1-3 it's going to be another long season.

Id agree that 1-3 would be a veryvery bad way to start....and we will have very good reason to be worried if that happens,,,,

The good news is that it wont.....;)

dude, you are classic.

you're like the itch on the bottom of your foot you can't get to while you're on the phone with a distributor. you just want to peel your shoe off and dig at it with a bowie knife knowing that it will be the best feeling in the world once you pierce the skin.

stay classy shittsburgh!

I like to troll every once in a while. You know I'll stay classy.

Neither Canal Fulton nor Green are very far from me. I may some day stop by.

I eat tomato sandwiches. My wife thinks that's crazy. Crazy good sometimes.

How would your tomatos be on a whole wheat tomato sandwich.

Very English. I also eat tomato and cheese sandwiches. Was brought up on them.

My question about the NFL schedule is this: Why the fuck do they wait until 3 weeks after both high school and colleges are already playing? The NFL, in my opinion should begin its season on Labor Day weekend....but they don't start for like another 2 weeks.

Archived