THE BROWNS BOARD

Is this the end of the Mack era?

Erving can play all 5 positions on the o line, but this was a bit of a shocker at 19. Does this mean that the front office is afraid of Mack walking next year? I get we want to be a ball control team, but this pick is very confusing with Dupree still on the board. What is everyone's thoughts on this selection?

He's a big upgrade at ORG, can step in at ORT, C, anywhere the Browns need him,

and he won't miss a beat, except replacing Joe Thomas would be tough, and he may not

yet be as strong as Bitonio.

If Mack gets hurt, leaves, whatever...Irving can step in, and the offense will still work.

If you can't control the los, forget it.

Now the Browns can go harold or kendricks, lb, and TE and WR in rounds 2, 3 and two fourth round picks.

Cam can play all five positions, but not equally well. He did not look good in space at OT. He looks very good at Center.

So, yes, I think he is our answer for either Mack not returning to form in 2015 or opting out to LaLaLand in 2016.

And sorry to disagree, cal, but I do not think he is a huge upgrade anywhere in our existing O-line. But he may be part of our best O-line, if he can allow Greco to move to RT. John was an OT in college.

I don't think this guy fills Mack's shoes but he can help improve the O-Line significantly.

Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, Erving, Schwartz... That is an impressive line. I would love to add Maxx Williams to the end of it though...

I don't think this guy fills Mack's shoes but he can help improve the O-Line significantly.

Thomas, Bitonio, Mack, Erving, Schwartz... That is an impressive line. I would love to add Maxx Williams to the end of it though...

I think Bowie's gonna be starting RT come season opener. In which I think he's an upgrade > Schwartz.

Jesus, we got one scary offensive line.

I will be shocked if Erving beats out Greco for a starting job.

Not so much if Bowie were to beat out Mitch.

Snap out of it Tour. Agree Ray was best on the board but now a Risk we can't take. Dupree can run a straight line so called clean. Your our OL guy and we needed Depth at Every OL Spots. Cam was not even the best lineman on the board at 19 but he was the most universal Bridge at all Positions. Our OL depth could not even stay Healthy now it's 1 man down on OL it should look better than Last Season Nightmare. Watching your Pre season scores on Erving and Bowie. Honestly it had to improve a no depth OL and Mack(opt. out) and Schwartz FA2016. Erving will be one Year Bigger and Better we Hope... Slim Jim's or Snickers for Breakfast may help :D

Agree with gumby that this addresses what became our Achilles Heel, depth in the O line. Injuries changed the direction of our whole season.

And Mingo should play better with a real force in the middle as a run stuffer, so while disappointed we did not take Dupree, I certainly understand the pick.

Considering the fact that we just spend the 19th overall pick on a center/guard, and that Alex Mack is on his last year of the contract and is most likely going to seek a new deal with another team at the end of the year, what do you think the chances are of the Browns simply working out a trade with a team that Alex would like to go to? I may be mistaken and his contract might include a no trade policy. If so let me know.

If a trade is in the cards, I am certain that it wouldn't happen before the draft is over. But it would also be nice to get something for him since he simply plans on leaving.

We didn't draft Erving to replace Mack. Mack stays. Erving is not only a C as he shows a rare ability to be versatile and can be developed into a quality RT or OG. If we can keep Thomas-Bitonio-Mack-Erving around for a while, we'll have a dominant line for quite a few years.

We didn't draft Erving to replace Mack. Mack stays. Erving is not only a C as he shows a rare ability to be versatile and can be developed into a quality RT or OG. If we can keep Thomas-Bitonio-Mack-Erving around for a while, we'll have a dominant line for quite a few years.

With those guys, you're even starting to look at a window for a championship run. We have the OL, we have the RBs (we think), and we have the D (we think) - just need to get the passing game a vague threat and who know?

With those guys, you're even starting to look at a window for a championship run. We have the OL, we have the RBs (we think#0, and we have the D (we think) - just need to get the passing game a vague threat and who know?

I'd like to see us grab another RB, somebody who can be a threat as a receiver... and of course a WR or TE who can stretch the field. Then, if McCown doesn't totally suck, this team will look like they can threaten... similar to last year. If he has a good year, or if Manziel CAN actually get it done in the NFL, this team will be downright good... scary thought :ph34r:

My whole thought process is that he is in his final year and that he doesn't plan on sticking around. From everything I have read he plans to use his option and enter FA after the season is over. He will command a salary that makes him the highest paid center in the NFL. While his desire to leave will never negatively effect his play or his leadership of the team this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the team attempted to trade him to a team that he indicates he would like to play for, as long as he can get a new deal signed making him one of the top two highest paid centers in the league.

Even though he is in his final year, teams would still line up for a trade at the right price in order to get the rights to sign him to a long term deal, instead of hoping that he picks them in FA.

I dont see him getting traded....no....

And dont know what he really wants, but seems a lot of folks always say "west coast" players want to go home(but I never hear that about East Coast or anywhere else)....

anyhooo......I think he just wants to win......period.

If we win, he'll stay......if we suck, he wont.......thats my guess.

You do not use a depth pick in the 1st round. You make that pick because you think he is going to come in and be the starter at one of the offensive line positions this year. So the question is who does he replace, who does he push out. Greco, believe it or not, was one of the best guards in the NFL. Schwartz, believe it or not, is a very solid starter at RT. If you want a piece that you can move around the line, in case an injury occurs, great. But you make that pick in the middle rounds. I mean every other team in the NFL can some how manage to take middle and late round offensive linemen and develop them into starters. We some how can't manage to do that. Our line consists of 3 1st round picks and 2 second round picks, all selected by us. It is a joke.

The only teams that are making these kind of picks are the teams that have aging QB's that they need to protect. We don't have that problem. We need pieces that can help a QB be successful in the passing game, we need a pass rusher than can total more than 10 sacks in a season. We don't need a rotational piece to bolster our offensive line in case of an injury. We don't need our replacement for a center that still has a whole season to play through, a center that only went down for the season because of a freak injury. A center, until that point, who hadn't missed a start in his entire NFL career.

There were so many other picks that we could have made that would have had a bigger impact on our season. I don't doubt that Ervine can be a good player, but how much better is he really going to be than Greco, how much better is he really going to be than Schwartz. I don't think he is going to be so much better to warrant a 1st round pick.

Alex Mack is invaluable as last year proved. Even though Greco graded out well (and gave us his personal best of career season) in 2014 - somebody might see much better upside in Erving at RG. Erving was also a good idea to backup Mack if he gets injured again. Another place he could challenge for is RT if Bowie isn't already doing a good job of that. Not only that; BUT in a world where injuries are never scheduled - it's pretty comforting to know we have a guy that could fill in at LT if Joe Thomas sprained an ankle or something. It's a lot more comforting than previous plans that would have considered Oneil Cousins or Reid Fragle.

It's a really good indication this team is going in the right direction when we have Greco, Schwartz, Bowie and Erving competing for 2 starting jobs. It should make for a very interesting training camp.Stay tuned...

Considering the fact that we just spend the 19th overall pick on a center/guard, and that Alex Mack is on his last year of the contract and is most likely going to seek a new deal with another team at the end of the year, what do you think the chances are of the Browns simply working out a trade with a team that Alex would like to go to? I may be mistaken and his contract might include a no trade policy. If so let me know.

If a trade is in the cards, I am certain that it wouldn't happen before the draft is over. But it would also be nice to get something for him since he simply plans on leaving.

I don't see a trade right now as injury recovery is a question. Plus not sure why a team would trade for a player they can get as an FA 10 months from now. Do we even get compensation?

Dude only played 9 games a center people. He can play the right side.

So can I... just not very well.

My whole thought process is that he is in his final year and that he doesn't plan on sticking around. From everything I have read he plans to use his option and enter FA after the season is over. He will command a salary that makes him the highest paid center in the NFL. While his desire to leave will never negatively effect his play or his leadership of the team this year, I wouldn't be surprised if the team attempted to trade him to a team that he indicates he would like to play for, as long as he can get a new deal signed making him one of the top two highest paid centers in the league.

Even though he is in his final year, teams would still line up for a trade at the right price in order to get the rights to sign him to a long term deal, instead of hoping that he picks them in FA.

Good to see you back, HB...

If we win, he'll stay......if we suck, he wont.......thats my guess.

Very possible...

Mud, do you have a PFF Bowie rating from his Seahawks season?

You do not use a depth pick in the 1st round. You make that pick because you think he is going to come in and be the starter at one of the offensive line positions this year. So the question is who does he replace, who does he push out. Greco, believe it or not, was one of the best guards in the NFL. Schwartz, believe it or not, is a very solid starter at RT.

There were so many other picks that we could have made that would have had a bigger impact on our season. I don't doubt that Ervine can be a good player, but how much better is he really going to be than Greco, how much better is he really going to be than Schwartz. I don't think he is going to be so much better to warrant a 1st round pick.

Pretty much my reaction as well. There were higher value routes to get to the same place, IMO.

And just when I was starting to snap out of it...

Archived