THE BROWNS BOARD

The Latest on "The Trade"

KardiacKid26

Bernie Kosar was on WKNR about 20 minutes ago and he was talking about the trade. He said that he talked to some officials in Denver. He said that if any trade were to happen this would be the one most likely to go thorugh. this is the latest trade purposal:

Denver gets:

Brady Quinn

New York Jets get:

Jay Cutler

Cleveland gets:

1st and 2nd round pick from either team.

-It would obviously be a three-way trade.

-That sounds a little tempting considering we'd have two 1st rounds and three 2nd rounds, but are we really willing to trade BQ? Considering the offense was horrible last season, he did a half-way decent job with what he had. But on the other hand, we'd most likely draft a QB at #5 and get a LB with the 12th or 17th pick.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No way in hell does drafting a LB who might be a project jive well with me if we lose Quinn.

We would have a true rookie QB (who would be a junior and need development time on the bench anyway) to replace the exact same thing we would need to wait 2 years to have.

So we would have

No experienced QB, no vet QB to teach him.

The only way I could see this happening is if we draft at LEAST 2 OL in the first two rounds to protect whatever stopgap we throw behind center.

If we had a decent vet QB to play this year, maybe. But right now... I just cant see this happening.

Bernie Kosar was on WKNR about 20 minutes ago and he was talking about the trade. He said that he talked to some officials in Denver. He said that if any trade were to happen this would be the one most likely to go thorugh. this is the latest trade purposal:

Denver gets:

Brady Quinn

New York Jets get:

Jay Cutler

Cleveland gets:

1st and 2nd round pick from either team.

-It would obviously be a three-way trade.

-That sounds a little tempting considering we'd have two 1st rounds and three 2nd rounds, but are we really willing to trade BQ? Considering the offense was horrible last season, he did a half-way decent job with what he had. But on the other hand, we'd most likely draft a QB at #5 and get a LB with the 12th or 17th pick.

So basically we are trading Quinn for a first and second in this scenario?

That's not bad. But I don't hate Anderson as much as the rest of you.

It's basically up to Mangini ... either he thinks Quinn is a franchise QB or he doesn't ... he needs to make that call.

Zombo

This is the most bogus trade idea to date. Basically Denver would be trading Cutler AND a pick for BQ. LOL OKIE.

I think the Jets would giving up the picks.

They'd get Cutler. Denver would be giving up Cutler to get Quinn, no picks. Obviously Cutler is more proven and therefore has more market value, but McDaniel has basically cost them that right out of the box.

Zombo

--I find it all interesting. I like Quinn ... but a first and second has my attention.

Not a good value since we'd be stuck with no QB or DA for another year, god forbid we draft another one.

Also, you know if Quinn got traded to Denver he'd be Elway 2.0, enacting the same heartbreaking moments against the Browns as Elway did with the fumble and drive.

If Denver is willing to give up Cutler for Quinn straight up then basically were shopping Cutler.

So if I was Kokinis I would say when your ready to give a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd come talk to me.

Considering Houston gave Atlanta two 2nds, and fliped 1st rounders, which equals two 2nds and a third I see no reason we wouldnt get a 1st 2nd and 3rd for cutler

Not a good value since we'd be stuck with no QB or DA for another year, god forbid we draft another one.

Also, you know if Quinn got traded to Denver he'd be Elway 2.0, enacting the same heartbreaking moments against the Browns as Elway did with the fumble and drive.

You're assuming cleveland would somehow be in position to get in the playoffs... ever again.

:)

This deal is getting legs fast.....

Jets fired Mangini, but they’ll need him to land Cutler

Posted: Around The Web | NFL.com Staff | Tags: Brady Quinn, Cleveland Browns, Denver Broncos, Eric Mangini, Jay Cutler, New York Jets

Eric Mangini was fired as the New York Jets’ coach after a disappointing conclusion to the 2008 season, but he could become a key factor in what would be the team’s biggest acquisition since, well, Brett Favre.

Close to one year after he welcomed Favre’s short stay in the Big Apple, Mangini could help facilitate a deal that would put disgruntled Denver Broncos QB Jay Cutler in green and white, Rich Cimini writes in Thursday’s New York Daily News.

Cimini suggests that the Jets have two of the three pieces required to make a move for Cutler — the salary-cap room and the draft picks. But the third element, a tradeable quarterback, is something that might require the help of a third team. Enter Mangini and his new team, the Cleveland Browns, who Cimini notes has two starting quarterbacks.

“The former Jets coach has two viable quarterbacks, Brady Quinn and Derek Anderson, neither of whom has received an endorsement from Mangini. Quinn might be appealing to Broncos coach Josh McDaniels because he played at Notre Dame under Charlie Weis, who used to work with McDaniels in New England. Quinn is well-versed in the Weis/Patriots offensive system, which McDaniels will use in Denver.

“That means the Browns could emerge as the third team in a potential three-way trade. The main components of a three-way deal would be the Jets getting Cutler, the Broncos getting Quinn and the Browns getting a premium draft pick (or picks) to help their rebuilding process. Without Mangini, the Jets would be hard-pressed to swing the deal.”

If we trade a QB we have to get another one in return. i really don't see DA hanging around. The only way we trade BQ is if we get Cutler in return. But I don't want Cutler.

and IMO neither would Mangini want Cutler...............................

If Denver is willing to give up Cutler for Quinn straight up then basically were shopping Cutler.

So if I was Kokinis I would say when your ready to give a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd come talk to me.

Considering Houston gave Atlanta two 2nds, and fliped 1st rounders, which equals two 2nds and a third I see no reason we wouldnt get a 1st 2nd and 3rd for cutler

I agree with this guy. Jets getting Cutler should cost them at least a 1st and 2nd round pick. Use helping Denver should cost them a 3rd or demand the Jets to supply the 3rd round pick. But whatever, I want picks 1 2 and 3

So basically we are trading Quinn for a first and second in this scenario?

That's not bad. But I don't hate Anderson as much as the rest of you.

It's basically up to Mangini ... either he thinks Quinn is a franchise QB or he doesn't ... he needs to make that call.

Zombo

Anderson would do more than fine as the QB this season if he had too and even if he didn't it would give the Stains a real shot at rebuilding much sooner than later. Quinn is not the be all end all and certainly not the QB to "save" the franchise. He's not that good. Grabbing a 1st and a 2nd for him would be like hitting the lottery especially as others have pointed out that the Stains would have 2 1sts and 3 seconds. Nuts. I'd do it in a New York minute if I were a Browns fan.

Thats all i can say if DA or our new qb falls flat on his face mankok better be ready to leave town in a hurry because a fools move like this instantly voids the honeymoon and i would have to look at a deal like this as a backscratching deal that benefits everyone but the browns fans and perhaps the browns themselves in the near future...as we watch bq develope into an elite qb while we have shit to show for it..call me a homer but the fact is you dont trade a potential franchise qb thats a homeboy,a browns fan and never got a fair shot to see what he has for 2 drafts in a bush...to do so gaurantees mankok a quick ride out of town if he fails to move this team to the playoffs really fast..afterall its hard to sell tickets to a disenchanted fanbase when your new qb replaces a fan favorite and then loses..

Now lets picture DA just getting the job handed to him...is that some big anti-mankok signs close to all those empty seats i see there?

LOL.....even the mention of this is like a nightmare to some people.....LOL

I think the picks would come from NY....not either team.

Denver isn't going to ship Cutler and 2 picks to get Quinn.....or maybe in that case.....NY would ship picks to Denver.....but Denver isn't going to end up with Quinn and give away 2 picks.

Maybe I am just reading something wrong??

I don't see Denver trading Cutler straight up for Quinn. (This is the case if the Jets give up the picks.)

The Jets might do this deal. Do they think Cutler is worth a 1st/2nd? They might.

Browns would have to look long and hard at this. 1st and 2nd? That's massive value for any QB, especially one who has three starts under his belt.

I just don't see the Broncos parting with Cutler for this price tag. Not enough in return. (Unless they know something about Quinn that we don't. ;) )

I don't see Denver trading Cutler straight up for Quinn. (This is the case if the Jets give up the picks.)

The Jets might do this deal. Do they think Cutler is worth a 1st/2nd? They might.

Browns would have to look long and hard at this. 1st and 2nd? That's massive value for any QB, especially one who has three starts under his belt.

I just don't see the Broncos parting with Cutler for this price tag. Not enough in return. (Unless they know something about Quinn that we don't. ;) )

They know Quinn will not a be whiner compared to the headcase Cutler.

If he continues to be a no show they'll have no choice

We have all the leverage right now, we have no dyer need to get a QB or get rid of one.

I think somebody's going to have to offer a unrefuseable offer for us to part ways with Quinn weather its Jets, 9ers, Lions, Bucs and I dont think a 1st and 2nd or a 1st and 3rd are unrefuseable offers

I agree.....the Jets are going to have to part with some picks....a 1st to us this year, and 3rd to us this year, and probably a 2nd or better to Denver next year.....maybe even this year

Denver isn't going to take Quinn for Cutler straight up which would pretty much be the case as this stuff is written.

The Jets aren't going to get Cutler for 2 picks. The guy is way better than that and Quinn isn't held in that high esteem league wide.

No way.

Denver is almost in a unwinnable situation, Mcdaniels sort of put his foot into his mouth. Cutler in my opinion should be quiet and worry about playing football. The NFL is a business and different coaches and managers always going to adjust things to their liking. Its not personal its a businesss (for the most part).

I can see the jets giving up a 1st and a 3rd possibly or lower for cutler and Denver getting quinn out of it. I think Cutler is acting like a child because his idea of how important he is to the franchise was hurt. EGO is the word that comes to mind.

Denver should just tell him to STFU and play football, your name is Cutler not Elway. When you win us a Super Bowl then maybe we'll let you have some input in the decision making of the staff, until then do what we pay you to do.

No way the Browns will trade BQ. The reason was actually stated by a poster. With BQ at the helm of the Browns the fans will be patient. The fans will be loyal and allow the team to build through the draft. If the Browns trade BQ it will be unacceptable to most of the fan base and the honeymoon will be over. If you trade the Golden Boy then you better produce wins now or you will not be forgiven.

Personally I would do the trade, if you can get a 1 and 2 for BQ then you should jump on it. It would speed up the Browns building process. And I am not sure that it would have much of a negative impact on next season. But anything short of a number 1 and 3 I think that the Browns should keep BQ and see what he can do.

Like others have said though, no way does Denver do this trade for just BQ. They would need to get players or draft picks with it. It would prolly be multiple picks and players from all three teams. I just don't see this management team as that big of risk takers. So I do not think this trade will happen.

interesting another 1st round and possibly 2-5th round for quinn, the rumour mill is strange. Mangini and Kokinis are going to be hated by a majority of the fan base for this.

Only if we're stuck with shit at QB for 12 years while Quinn goes on to win Superbowls with Denver. Just like Anderson, you don't seem to 'get it'.

I don't see us trading Quinn either...but good god...if we can get that many high picks for him I'll fly to Cleveland to help him pack. I want to see Andersuck out of here as much as most all of you...but I also know that this team has a boatload of holes and we need the high draft picks to fill them.

Archived