THE BROWNS BOARD

The Latest on "The Trade"

KardiacKid26

I don't see us trading Quinn either...but good god...if we can get that many high picks for him I'll fly to Cleveland to help him pack. I want to see Andersuck out of here as much as most all of you...but I also know that this team has a boatload of holes and we need the high draft picks to fill them.

Remember, there is still a cap this year and all of these high picks have to be paid.

There sure are a lot of guys between #15 and #65 who could help us a whole bunch though. I guess we could do that, suck to high heaven next year and have a high enough pick to get one of the guys coming out after this season. I wouldn't mind seeing Colt McCoy in a Browns uni.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nothing about getting it. If you could get a 1 and 2 for BQ you should do it. And if you want trade DA also. get a 2nd or 3rd for him as well. This team has far too many holes and I agree that DA is not the answer but then I don't think that BQ is Joe Montana either. I don't think that BQ would lead Denver to super bowl after super bowl and I will give him the season but I am not even sure he will be an above average QB.

I just hope he is half as good as people think he will be. If he is then the Browns should be able to ride his shoulders to the playoffs this year. No rebuilding, no need to get in receivers that don't have drive and game killing drops. No worries because with BQ the kids are back.

I just wonder what the mood will be like if like most young Qbs that BQ has growing pains and does not perform. Then will I see the posts saying we should had dumped him when we could have, doubt it but it will be interesting.

I've been thinking about it, and honestly if we were to do a trade like this, Denver would benefit far more having DA than Quinn. With Marshall and Royal, the Broncos can already stretch the field, thus the desire for the big arm of DA. Their running game has been disappointing for a few years, so with him stretching the field that should open things up. Additionally, his strengths suit their playmakers far more than Quinn's do (you think Brandon Marshall wants to catch over the middle 8 yard slants?)

When the Cleveland Browns drafted Notre Dame stand-out quarterback Brady Quinn, many observers of the team rejoiced the move. Nearly a season and a half has passed and Quinn has completed 3 passes for a meager 45 yards. Before the 2007 draft, Quinn was touted as the top quarterback and, quite possibly, the best player in the field. He slipped to the 22nd pick, loosened his tie, chewed his gum, and began his NFL career.

Quinn Trade Offer

The NFL trade deadline passed on October 14, 2008 and Quinn remained the Cleveland Browns’ backup quarterback. However, a major rumor swirled regarding a potential trade involving the Minnesota Vikings. In an October 13, 2008 Foxsports.com article entitled "Vikings Offer Browns Draft Picks for Quinn", NFL insider Jay Glazer reports that the Browns were presented with a significant trade offer. It involved the Vikings sending a 1st round draft pick in 2009 and another 1st round pick in 2010 to the Browns for Quinn. The deal was rejected by the Browns. Was Quinn in the Browns' future plans?

If Minnesota offered two 1st rounders then why would we accept anything less now. No way he goes for a 1st and 2nd or 1st and 3rd

Here's the problem with this scenario:

The Browns traded a 2nd round pick and used a 1st round pick to select Quinn and all they'd be getting for him now according to the original post in this thread is...a 1st and a 2nd round pick.

Which would mean that we'd have drafted Brady Quinn, who many saw as the best QB in that draft class, never played him for any significant time, and then got ZERO return for him.

Unless ManKok thinks Quinn is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf, this isn't a step forward. It would be a lateral, 100% rebuild type of move.

And we'd still be without a franchise QB with no franchise QB in this draft.

So though I love the idea of FIVE day one picks in this draft, I can't quite get past the notion that we'd be not only throwing in the towel on this year completely but also flushing completely away the last 2 years of "development" of Quinn.

Again, WITHOUT EVER PLAYING HIM.

This type of thing would be unprecedented to say the least.

Attempts: 23

Completions: 35

Pass Yds: 239

Touchdowns: 2

Interceptions: 0

Pass %: %65.7

Avg. Pass: 6.8 yds

QB Rating: 104.3

Those are Brady Quinn's stats for the first game he started in the NFL. I dont care who you are, you don't trade a Quarterback who does that in his first game on 2-days notice. Theres just too much potential to be had. Not to mention his career in a pro offense in college and how well he did there. He could potentially be one of THOSE players, you know the ones that only come around every 20 years. Plus, Im sick of my city loosing yet another future all star player to a trade... its happened too many times in the past in Cleveland sports, lets learn from our mistakes

Attempts: 23

Completions: 35

Pass Yds: 239

Touchdowns: 2

Interceptions: 0

Pass %: %65.7

Avg. Pass: 6.8 yds

QB Rating: 104.3

Those are Brady Quinn's stats for the first game he started in the NFL. I dont care who you are, you don't trade a Quarterback who does that in his first game on 2-days notice. Theres just too much potential to be had. Not to mention his career in a pro offense in college and how well he did there. He could potentially be one of THOSE players, you know the ones that only come around every 20 years. Plus, Im sick of my city loosing yet another future all star player to a trade... its happened too many times in the past in Cleveland sports, lets learn from our mistakes

I couldn't agree more...

Here's the problem with this rumor...............................IT'S ALL BULLSHIT

They aren't trading Quinn.

But tomorrow some other lame ass rumor will be making the rounds and people here are going to get sucked in to discussing it again. And why? Because there isn't anything else to talk about and some moron writers thaink there's a connection.

Let's see, Weis and McDaniel - Weis and Quinn so it must equal McDaniel and Quinn.........2+2+2=10

How about Thomas played in Wisconsin and Green Bay is in WI and Thomas likes outdoors and there is good hunting and fishing in WI..........................Hell, we must be trading Thomas to Green Bay.

WTF

So if the team can't decide between QBs, has an opportunity to trade the unproven one for a 1st and 2nd, and thinks the existing starter can be serviceable for a year at least with a better coaching staff and supporting cast, why not? Get two first and second round picks this season for a guy that's played all of three games in two years, shop for some help in the line and receivers, coach up the existing QB for a year... if he has an OK year, not a great one, he's still tradeable for at least as much a year down the line, does better than OK he's worth more on the trade market... Now you're two picks ahead of the game this season, and quite possibly ahead of the game trade-value-wise next season too.

How about Thomas played in Wisconsin and Green Bay is in WI and Thomas likes outdoors and there is good hunting and fishing in WI..........................Hell, we must be trading Thomas to Green Bay.

O RLY?

What are we getting in return? I mean, if we can get like 3 #1 overall picks for this year, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Add that to the 5 #1's we already have and the 6 2nd round picks, and draft day could be exciting.

Then we can have Savage come in and do their contracts. That should set us up for a LOONNNNGG time.

So if the team can't decide between QBs, has an opportunity to trade the unproven one for a 1st and 2nd, and thinks the existing starter can be serviceable for a year at least with a better coaching staff and supporting cast, why not? Get two first and second round picks this season for a guy that's played all of three games in two years, shop for some help in the line and receivers, coach up the existing QB for a year... if he has an OK year, not a great one, he's still tradeable for at least as much a year down the line, does better than OK he's worth more on the trade market... Now you're two picks ahead of the game this season, and quite possibly ahead of the game trade-value-wise next season too.

Haven't seen anywhere that the "team" thinks the existing starter (DA in your scenario) can be serviceable for a year at least with better coaching.

I just don't see the Broncos parting with Cutler for this price tag. Not enough in return. (Unless they know something about Quinn that we don't. ;) )

And this is what it comes down to. The bulk of Cutler's contract has already been paid, and his salary this year is almost nothing (by NFL starting QB standards, at least)....it's around 1.5 mil. They can afford to keep him on the shelf and treat him as a hold-out. I really don't see them trading him unless they get a JAW-DROPPINGLY FAVORABLE trade for them....and just getting Quinn is nowhere close to that.

Because of his contract status they have no NEED to trade him, but there has been a lot of interest generated. I think they're just listening to see if they get an amazing offer. Anything short of that and I think Cutler will still be a Donkey this fall.

Haven't seen anywhere that the "team" thinks the existing starter (DA in your scenario) can be serviceable for a year at least with better coaching.

If the trade rumors in this thread pan out, that might be the reason it happens.

At this point the team has been completely mum on both QBs so every comment in this thread is pure conjecture.

And this is what it comes down to. The bulk of Cutler's contract has already been paid, and his salary this year is almost nothing (by NFL starting QB standards, at least)....it's around 1.5 mil. They can afford to keep him on the shelf and treat him as a hold-out. I really don't see them trading him unless they get a JAW-DROPPINGLY FAVORABLE trade for them....and just getting Quinn is nowhere close to that.

Because of his contract status they have no NEED to trade him, but there has been a lot of interest generated. I think they're just listening to see if they get an amazing offer. Anything short of that and I think Cutler will still be a Donkey this fall.

I could see both McDaniels and Bowlen doing just this. "You don't want to play here? Then have fun sitting wherever"

This trade with Quinn going to Denver is interesting. Seriously, it may be a valid thought...but I have a few things about it that don't make sense:

1. The reason Denver is supposedly interested in Quinn is that they are going to run a 'New England' offense....but the Browns are rumored to be doing the same thing...so wouldn't the BROWNS want Quinn?

2. The Browns reportedly turned down a deal with Minnesota for 2 1sts last year...and NOW they take a 1st and a 2nd?

However, there are also reasons for this to make sense:

1. If the Browns are really in rebuild..AND like one of the QB's in the draft (or like DA)...this is a PERFECT way for the new FO to put their stamp on this team and get optimum picks to rebuild.

2. It ends the QB debate and gets the team behind the QB of choice

3. The Browns have been clearing cap space and spending petty cash in FA...so they must be saving the cash for draft picks (or maybe a late big name FA???)

Basically, I think that this COULD be valid...and as we are NOT going to compete this year anyway...if the team is sold on either DA or one of the QB's in the draft...we will have a couple of years for them to develop into the leader we need...and have a lot more pieces to help them get there.

Right now the Browns have the following picks:

This trade is likely to bring in at least:

and possibly one of the following:

Thereby giving the Browns 5 picks in the top 53 (1st and 2nd rounds) and possible a 3rd rounder. That could go a long way to filling all the needs of this team...and make life a TON easier for whatever QB we put behind center.

Not saying this is the BEST idea...but it sure doesn't look BAD to me.

This trade with Quinn going to Denver is interesting. Seriously, it may be a valid thought...but I have a few things about it that don't make sense:

1. The reason Denver is supposedly interested in Quinn is that they are going to run a 'New England' offense....but the Browns are rumored to be doing the same thing...so wouldn't the BROWNS want Quinn?

2. The Browns reportedly turned down a deal with Minnesota for 2 1sts last year...and NOW they take a 1st and a 2nd?

However, there are also reasons for this to make sense:

1. If the Browns are really in rebuild..AND like one of the QB's in the draft (or like DA)...this is a PERFECT way for the new FO to put their stamp on this team and get optimum picks to rebuild.

2. It ends the QB debate and gets the team behind the QB of choice

3. The Browns have been clearing cap space and spending petty cash in FA...so they must be saving the cash for draft picks (or maybe a late big name FA???)

Basically, I think that this COULD be valid...and as we are NOT going to compete this year anyway...if the team is sold on either DA or one of the QB's in the draft...we will have a couple of years for them to develop into the leader we need...and have a lot more pieces to help them get there.

Right now the Browns have the following picks:

This trade is likely to bring in at least:

and possibly one of the following:

Thereby giving the Browns 5 picks in the top 53 (1st and 2nd rounds) and possible a 3rd rounder. That could go a long way to filling all the needs of this team...and make life a TON easier for whatever QB we put behind center.

Not saying this is the BEST idea...but it sure doesn't look BAD to me.

John, I am happy that you posted this, many people need to realize when new coaching staffs are hired they want there own players, and just maybe Mangini & Co. are not convinced that BQ or DA is the QB they want and as you say if we are not going anywhere this season what better way to improve this team for 2010 and beyond but to make a trade like this where the Browns could walk away with 4/5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds.

John there was a rumor I just heard that had the Browns moving out of the #5 spot in this trade and swapping picks with Denver.

Denver Receives: Brady Quinn, #5 pick 1st round, Jets 2nd round pick

Cleveland Receives: Denvers #12 pick 1st round, Jets #17 1st round

NY Jets Receives: Jay Cutler

Here's the problem with this scenario:

The Browns traded a 2nd round pick and used a 1st round pick to select Quinn and all they'd be getting for him now according to the original post in this thread is...a 1st and a 2nd round pick.

Which would mean that we'd have drafted Brady Quinn, who many saw as the best QB in that draft class, never played him for any significant time, and then got ZERO return for him.

Unless ManKok thinks Quinn is the biggest bust since Ryan Leaf, this isn't a step forward. It would be a lateral, 100% rebuild type of move.

And we'd still be without a franchise QB with no franchise QB in this draft.

So though I love the idea of FIVE day one picks in this draft, I can't quite get past the notion that we'd be not only throwing in the towel on this year completely but also flushing completely away the last 2 years of "development" of Quinn.

Again, WITHOUT EVER PLAYING HIM.

This type of thing would be unprecedented to say the least.

I don't think that many saw Quinn as the best QB in that draft class. He was passed over and embarrassed on National TV as he sat their with the other "favorites" of that draft. I think he is overrated by many in here as some future HOF. I think he may be traded before Anderson. We need to get a Quarterback in here regardless. If it's him, then let him play, lets see what he can do. If not, trade him for the best we can get.

John, I am happy that you posted this, many people need to realize when new coaching staffs are hired they want there own players, and just maybe Mangini & Co. are not convinced that BQ or DA is the QB they want and as you say if we are not going anywhere this season what better way to improve this team for 2010 and beyond but to make a trade like this where the Browns could walk away with 4/5 picks in the 1st 2 rounds.

John there was a rumor I just heard that had the Browns moving out of the #5 spot in this trade and swapping picks with Denver.

This actually makes a lot more sense...as I thought Denver was getting the short end in the last one. Not only that, but with #12 and #17 we would be in a position to draft a number of guys we could really use. It opens up the discussions for players like this:

ILB Maualuga

ILB Maybin

WR Maclin

I/O LB Cushing

RB Wells/Moreno

S Chris Jenkins (yes...I know he is listed as CB)

DE Tyson Jackson

QB Sanchez

probably more...but those come to mind

One more late round pick is what i thought was included. If you add a 5th round either this year or next the the numbers add up in our favor.

One more late round pick is what i thought was included. If you add a 5th round either this year or next the the numbers add up in our favor.

Just thinking the same thing..the Jets need to ante up a little more in either scenario. A 4th or 5th....or a 3rd next year...to the Browns to even it up.

Just thinking the same thing..the Jets need to ante up a little more in either scenario. A 4th or 5th....or a 3rd next year...to the Browns to even it up.

John I would think the Browns would be getting pretty good value here, we get out of the #5 selection and trade a unproven QB and we move down which is what everyone wanted and we get 2 1st round picks, so we get back the number 1 we traded to get Brady and we don't have to pay a #5 pick the dollars he would get now if we could get a 4th or 5th this year that would be good. The Browns could come out of this with a ILB, OLB, SS, C. I would be happy if we could get Rey, Everette Brown, Delmas and Mack or maybe we draft Sanchez as our future QB with Rey at ILB, Delmas at safety and Mack at center or do you think we go outside LB since we acquired Barton.

Looking at it from the Jets side they get a better QB than they could draft and the give up a 1st and 2nd round pick

The Broncos get a QB in Brady, the #5 pick in the draft and a 2nd round choice......not bad return for Cutler

That would equate to us giving Quinn and a 2nd rounder for the jets #17 pick, you guys are insane to like that trade

Not sure I follow you. We give up Quinn and #5 and get the 12th and 17th pick in the draft in one scenario...and in the other we give up Quinn and get the 17th and 53rd. Either way, we don't give up a 2nd rounder....

dropping from #5 to #12 is worth a 2nd rounder

which is why I thought the Jets needed to sweeten the pot a little. They were getting Cutler too cheap with a 1st and 2nd rounder (mid rounders at that). I would expect the Browns to get a 2010 pick in this situation.

which is why I thought the Jets needed to sweeten the pot a little. They were getting Cutler too cheap with a 1st and 2nd rounder (mid rounders at that). I would expect the Browns to get a 2010 pick in this situation.

The Jets would have to add a 1st rounder next year before even thinking about considering that trade scenerio.

Archived