THE BROWNS BOARD

Religious extremism strikes again, tragedy ensues.

jbluhm86

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bluhm- here's a pretty succinct explanation of why resorting to Leviticus quotes every time you want to call "bible fouls" makes your arguments seem silly to anyone with an IQ over 40. I recommend reading it. http://www.gaychristian101.com/Leviticus.html

Matthew 5:17-19: Think not that I am come to destroy the Law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, not one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

I guess that's another one of those verses that should be taken metaphorically, and not literally. No, what seems silly to me is how the bible seems to be so hypocritical. Maybe if you took the religious blinders off, you would be able to use your IQ to read the bible as it is written, and see how full of nonsensical contradictions it really is. Seems kinda shoddy penmanship for a book that is supposedly the Word of an omnipotent and omnipresent creator.

Of course, if you really want to have a head scratcher, you should read up on all the contradictions in the Koran. It makes the Bible seem like a well-oiled machine in comparison.

I'm sure your bright enough to see the weakness in your argument. Yep you found a couple of lunatics who happened to be religious. So compare the handful of incidents like that with the hundreds of thousands if not more of innocent human beings killed and tortured and beheaded by insane Muslims.

Or just check the police records see how many hundreds of thousands of women who are raped beaten and murdered because minority members get there rocks off off. We'll compare those numbers if you think its a valid way to spend our time.

And frankly I'm not all that concerned with the Old Testament or the Quran.

WSS

I in no way actually believe this nonsense about christ bring Divine. Historical evidence is in favor of his actual existence but as for this divinity business I don't buy it, and yeah christians have been up to bad shit from time to time in history. Of course it's happened.

But

There is no valid comparison between the violent nature of Islam and Christianity. Islam has quite literally been in a perpetual state of war towards everything that isnt islam since it's inception. Even during the golden age of islam preceding the sack of Baghdad in 1258 they were at war. And the war against everything but islam (and also against islam that's exactly the same except for a disagreement about who should have succeeded Mohammed 1300 years ago) continues to this day, just as bloody and murdery as ever. Christians...sometimes are kind of dicks to gays. Also they think some wacky shit about the age of the earth. See how one of those things is a bit more extreme than the other?

You found a recent story about some christians killing someone. Great. You might find four or five. Maybe even ten! I'll find you about 25,000 or more recent stories about muslims killing people. For nothing too. Certainly not an extremely personal reason like the story you found. Christianity's failings at the moment are nowhere near what islam is up to.

Matthew 5:17-19: Think not that I am come to destroy the Law or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, not one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

I guess that's another one of those verses that should be taken metaphorically, and not literally. No, what seems silly to me is how the bible seems to be so hypocritical. Maybe if you took the religious blinders off, you would be able to use your IQ to read the bible as it is written, and see how full of nonsensical contradictions it really is. Seems kinda shoddy penmanship for a book that is supposedly the Word of an omnipotent and omnipresent creator.

Of course, if you really want to have a head scratcher, you should read up on all the contradictions in the Koran. It makes the Bible seem like a well-oiled machine in comparison.

So you didn't read the link I guess. Did you open it even? It's about context rather than cherry picking verses. But since you insist:

Let's get to your verse. What were the prophets prophesying exactly? (New covenant, sacrificial lamb, everlasting salvation; these would be a few good phrases to brush up on).

Next, "Till heaven and earth pass, not one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the Law, till all be fulfilled" Here, Jesus is introducing his Sermon on the Mount, not the book of Leviticus. (Pesky context) These were the "commandments" or teachings directly from Jesus that he mentions in the next sentence. (Jesus chose his words wisely, he is also referring to the 10 Commandments - which don't mention anything about circle-jerk beating your kids for a confession, last I checked; because using the word "commandments" would resonate immediately with his audience).

"Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven" Again, look at this as an introduction to the SotM (because it is), and not an "Idiot's Guide to Smiting your Neighbor: The Leviticus Challenge." This also references back to the opening line of your verse (destroying prophets & law) - Jesus was routinely accused of this by the pharisees and scribes. He's clarifying his position while calling out the Pharisees' and scribes' hypocritical behaviors (subtle dig from ole' JC) as they often bent rules/laws to suit themselves (think of our current political climate).

So, if you read the Bible and apply context, you're not going to find any hypocrisy from Jesus. If you already believe the bible is hypocritical anyway, there are plenty of cherry-picked verses on SundaySchoolisforLosers.blogspot.com that you can keep posting as evidence.

Ice up, son.

Legacy - this is the problem, that you can cherry pick quotes out of context and basically claim anything with the bible - or koran or torah or harry potter - backing you up. Even among moderates, their can be big disagreement about what the bible is actually saying, so imagine now you have someone trying to use it to back up their point preaching to people who can't read and have been taught not to question things, and you have radical islam, and christianity from several centuries ago. Now we're more enlightened in the west we can understand that we shouldn't take things so literally - nobody's suggesting gay people get stoned (no not like that) just for being gay, for example.

Man- Hey, wait a minute, I shouldn't be here. I wa a totally strict and devout Protestant! I thought we went to heaven!

Hell director- Yes, well I'm afraid you were wrong.

Soldier- I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness.

Hell director- Uh, you picked the wrong religion as well.

Another man- Well, who was right? Who gets into heaven?

Hell director- I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer.

Crowd- [disappointed] Awww.

Man- Hey, wait a minute, I shouldn't be here. I wa a totally strict and devout Protestant! I thought we went to heaven!

Hell director- Yes, well I'm afraid you were wrong.

Soldier- I was a practicing Jehovah's Witness.

Hell director- Uh, you picked the wrong religion as well.

Another man- Well, who was right? Who gets into heaven?

Hell director- I'm afraid it was the Mormons. Yes, the Mormons were the correct answer.

Crowd- [disappointed] Awww.

Thank you

Eternal separation. That is more than enough for me to know I want to escape it, I don't need anything else. Who goes to heaven? Jesus gave the answer many centuries before there even was a Mormon church or even any church had come into existence. Jesus said you must be born again.

yeah it's probably not valid to relate this shitty little cult to Christianity too much. On the other hand though I don't think a lot of you fully realize the foundations of that shit you see on best gore. YOu think it's just a bunch of crazy mooslims. But you don't understand where those mooslims got their crazy. Look if Christians would just come out and say yeah ok, Jesus didn't come to uphold the OT he infact spit on it and wanted nothing to do with it...as the Gnostics have attested all along, than they'd earn my fullest respect. Problem is Christians may say the NT is what they look most too but that somehow it was a natural progression of the OT. The OT is bullshit. End of discussion. Those fundamentalist muslims are doing absolutely nothing that the old joos were doing running around the middle east 3000 years ago. Raping 12 year old Yazidis? No problem that was Abrahams favorite.

yeah it's probably not valid to relate this shitty little cult to Christianity too much. On the other hand though I don't think a lot of you fully realize the foundations of that shit you see on best gore. YOu think it's just a bunch of crazy mooslims. But you don't understand where those mooslims got their crazy. Look if Christians would just come out and say yeah ok, Jesus didn't come to uphold the OT he infact spit on it and wanted nothing to do with it...as the Gnostics have attested all along, than they'd earn my fullest respect. Problem is Christians may say the NT is what they look most too but that somehow it was a natural progression of the OT. The OT is bullshit. End of discussion. Those fundamentalist muslims are doing absolutely nothing that the old joos were doing running around the middle east 3000 years ago. Raping 12 year old Yazidis? No problem that was Abrahams favorite.

Horseshit. I know more about Islamic history than you could imagine. I've always been a history student and always will be.

Also 3000 years ago, bro. A couple of religions have moved on. One hasn't. At all. In fact theyre still fighting over who should have succeeded muhammed. Guess what? Whoever should have is dead. Whoever should have succeeded that guy is dead. And that guy. And the guy after. Time to let go of the gripe.

So then you know they're old testament honks.

I don't believe in the old testament,new testament, qu'ran, Torah, book of mormon, big book of scientology, dianetics, prophecy of Zeus, any of it. If any religion has any message I'm willing to listen to it's Hinduism. And it's still a bunch of crap.

Archived