THE BROWNS BOARD

Religious extremism strikes again, tragedy ensues.

jbluhm86

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Almost all the OT verses of violence were limited to certain times and certain regions. The Koran is different in that their scriptures are open ended and the ones saying kill all the infidels still apply today as much as then (the Koran is where ISIS gets it's justification for doing evil).

Israel did not always obey Jehovah. God said they were to drive all the inhabitants out of the land and even gave the reason why all the inhabitants had to be driven out (if not they would teach Israel their wicked ways). Israel did not drive all the inhabitants out and those left behind did teach Israel to sin and lead them astray just as God said they would.

No one has ever equated what the WBC does to what Muslim extremist terrorist do. No one has ever attempted to. But every fucking time that's how you read it.

Good and bad exist with all religions. I think, as a whole, the bad outweighs the good.

Some here seem to think there us something fundamentally "better" about Christianity that isolates it from this type of extremism. We know from history though that's not the case. Go back and Muslim countries were more advanced than us.

So are we blaming thr religion for these terrorists? Are we blaming the religion for the assholes that beat these brothers? I'd imagine many here won't want to do that, even if verses in the bible condoning it can be found. Why is Islam treated differently?

Maybe there are other circumstances causing the issues in the middle east than just specifically Islam. Maybe other religions could be exploited with the same results.

This also ignores other primarily Muslim countries that aren't talked about because they're fine.

I'm not trying to endorse or support any religion. I'm just trying to not look at it as biasedly as some here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamist_terrorist_attacks

Now I'm going to do a search for the number of rude signs displaed by the Westboro Baptist Church.

I'll post the results.

:)

(not really)

But seriously you begin by saying that no one ever compared WBC with Islam. But, of course you did. At the end you say you are not endorsing one over the other. Seriously? That would mean you think they are equal in their antisocial behavior.

And most people would find that conclusion ridiculous.

WSS

Islam the world over still preaches a violent and aggressive message. Are you willing to concede that?

I am. But I'll bet you're not willing to concede that under the right circumstances, like a total economic collapse....things could get fundamental here in a hurry. Women would go back to being property pretty much one day after any such event. Not in all parts of this country mind you....but there's a certain a certain color associated with those places where it would...unfortunately cause it's my favorite color.

I am. But I'll bet you're not willing to concede that under the right circumstances, like a total economic collapse....things could get fundamental here in a hurry. Women would go back to being property pretty much one day after any such event. Not in all parts of this country mind you....but there's a certain a certain color associated with those places where it would...unfortunately cause it's my favorite color.

Racist.

Now I'm going to do a search for the number of rude signs displaed by the Westboro Baptist Church.

I'll post the results.

(not really)

But seriously you begin by saying that no one ever compared WBC with Islam. But, of course you did. At the end you say you are not endorsing one over the other. Seriously? That would mean you think they are equal in their antisocial behavior.

WSS

I said equated. Equated and compared are not the same thing.

I don't endorse punching old ladies. I don't endorse killing old ladies. That doesn't mean they're equal.

No thanks. Odin traded his eye for the vision that his soldiers would be defeated at Ragnarok.

WSS

Ah now, Steve, the Prose and Poetic Edda may say that, but you're probably just taking that whole Ragnarok-thing out of context. Besides, you're not focusing on the real parts of Valhalla, which is full of unlimited food, booze, women Valkyries and weapons/combat training. Sounds like a Tea party paradise to me. :)

I'll post the results.

(not really)

WSS

Quit making sense. That won't get you far here

I said equated. Equated and compared are not the same thing.

I don't endorse punching old ladies. I don't endorse killing old ladies. That doesn't mean they're equal.

But you would compare punching versus killing an old lady and that is good grounds for argument? Because according to you that's what you did

Turns out all the boys wanted to do was leave the church, not sure if anybody mentioned it.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/16/us/new-york-church-assault-case/index.html

This is pretty much what happens in a lot of places if you want to leave Islam. All prescribed as holy per the OT. If the young boy doesn't want to worship his parents god, off with his head.

Ah now, Steve, the Prose and Poetic Edda may say that, but you're probably just taking that whole Ragnarok-thing out of context. Besides, you're not focusing on the real parts of Valhalla, which is full of unlimited food, booze, women Valkyries and weapons/combat training. Sounds like a Tea party paradise to me. :)

It figures that you stinking liberals would be the ones to mollycoddle the ice monsters...

:(

WSS

Legacy - this is the problem, that you can cherry pick quotes out of context and basically claim anything with the bible - or koran or torah or harry potter - backing you up. Even among moderates, their can be big disagreement about what the bible is actually saying, so imagine now you have someone trying to use it to back up their point preaching to people who can't read and have been taught not to question things, and you have radical islam, and christianity from several centuries ago. Now we're more enlightened in the west we can understand that we shouldn't take things so literally - nobody's suggesting gay people get stoned (no not like that) just for being gay, for example.

Which is precisely why I am recommending that he *doesn't* do that.

List one other book you've read where you pick one line from it and say, "see!!! this is what this entire book is about. Not only have I parsed this book down to 1 or 2 sentences, but I've determined that the rest of the entire content is completely hypocritical!!!"

Seems silly, I hope.

Legacy - this is the problem, that you can cherry pick quotes out of context and basically claim anything with the bible - or koran or torah or harry potter - backing you up. Even among moderates, their can be big disagreement about what the bible is actually saying, so imagine now you have someone trying to use it to back up their point preaching to people who can't read and have been taught not to question things, and you have radical islam, and christianity from several centuries ago. Now we're more enlightened in the west we can understand that we shouldn't take things so literally - nobody's suggesting gay people get stoned (no not like that) just for being gay, for example.

Which is precisely why I am recommending that he *doesn't* do that.

List one other book you've read where you pick one line from it and say, "see!!! this is what this entire book is about. Not only have I parsed this book down to 1 or 2 sentences, but I've determined that the rest of the entire content is completely hypocritical!!!"

Seems silly, I hope.

Yes. I think it would be silly if I went to Barnes and Noble and flipped to a random page of, say, Harry Potter and judged the entire book on the first sentence I read. However, I highly doubt that anyone is going to read the book and then decide to strap a bomb to themselves and blow up a bus because they literally believe that Voldemort wishes them to kill a bus full of muggles; or that some child's parents will beat them to death because they're trying to leave Hogwarts.

That's the key difference between fictions like Harry Potter and fictions like the Koran and the Bible: it's highly unlikely anyone is going to take the first set of fictions literally and then proceed to harm or kill someone, while with the second, it is unfortunately almost a guarantee that it will happen. Harry Potter and Game of Thrones do not attempt to give people moral justification to fly planes into buildings or claim that someone will go to an eternity of pain and torture if they don't believe in Voldemort or the Lannisters. But religious texts are chock-full of those tidbits. Many religion texts are almost like choose-your-own-adventure books: You want to find quotes about peace? Read this verse, this verse, and this verse. But if you want war, you can also find plenty of verses to back up your truculent attitudes.

The simple truth is, that there wouldn't be much discussion about which violent and immoral verses in the Koran and the Torah/Bible are meant to be taken literally or which to be taken metaphorically or out of context if it wasn't the plain fact that they exist in there in the first place.

“The take-home message is that we should blame religion itself, not religious extremism - as though that were some kind of terrible perversion of real, decent religion. Voltaire got it right long ago: 'Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.' So did Bertrand Russell: 'Many people would sooner die than think. In fact they do.”

Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Stuart

It's crystal clear what he's doing. Marginalizing and making excuses for Islamic barbarism with another "Christianity does bad stuff too" thread.

Religious extremism is nothing new. The Salem witch trials?

The major difference here is that these acts are not a part of Christian principles or ideology...

so there are screwballs in religion.

But Muslim extremists are world wide, as in,

every country on earth, apparently,

this is just one example of rare sick sumbeeches...

Just another liberal change of subject.

great. An avowed Christian church basher quotes a few quotes, and

makes a major point on it.

Doesn't matter that it's out of context. Libs never care.

I'm sure your bright enough to see the weakness in your argument. Yep you found a couple of lunatics who happened to be religious. So compare the handful of incidents like that with the hundreds of thousands if not more of innocent human beings killed and tortured and beheaded by insane Muslims.

Or just check the police records see how many hundreds of thousands of women who are raped beaten and murdered because minority members get there rocks off off. We'll compare those numbers if you think its a valid way to spend our time.

And frankly I'm not all that concerned with the Old Testament or the Quran.

WSS

I am. But I'll bet you're not willing to concede that under the right circumstances, like a total economic collapse....things could get fundamental here in a hurry. Women would go back to being property pretty much one day after any such event...

It is sad to see that so many on here are under the impression that religious fundamentalism/extremism is rare in the US, or that it belongs solely to the uneducated and poverty-stricken, or to those solely of Muslim faith. The truth is, there are many powerful, highly educated, and influential people in this country who's religious beliefs are almost borderline - terrorist in their content. While it is absolutely true that they are tame when compared to their Islamic counteparts which actually carry out heinous crimes of terror, it is also my firm belief that Cleve is, in a way, correct: if it were not for the fact that our government was set up in a way to prevent these ideals from becoming reality, I fear that under the right circumstances, that these tiny sparks could eventually erupt into raging flames of intolerance in the future.

In a nutshell, radical Christian Fundamentalism is REAL in America, and it's ideology is just as insane and malicious as Islamic fundamentalism:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity. We wern't punctillious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet bombed German cities; and we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war". - Ann Coulter, in response to the 9/11 attacks.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"And how do you terrorize an evil doer? ... You enforce Biblical law! ... Nobody has the right to worship anyone on this planet any other God than Jehovah. And therefore, the state does not have the responsibility to defend anybody's pseudo-right to worship an idol... [H]umanists must be either be converted or destroyed by the hand of Almighty God...f the humanist aren't burned out of America, there is no hope." - Joseph Morecraft, pastor at Chalcedon Presbyterian Church, to a crowd at Biblical World View and Christian Education Conference. http://chalcedon.org/about-chalcedon (sounds pretty the lines of "There is no God but Allah" to me - JB)

"The long-term goal of Christians in politics should be to gain exclusive control over the franchise. Those who refuse to submit publicly to the eternal sanctions of God by submitting to His Church's public marks of the covenant - baptism and holy communion - must be denied citizenship"

"When people curse their parents, it unquestionably is a capital crime...The integrity of the family must be maintained by the threat of death".

""We must use the doctrine of religious liberty to gain independence for Christian schools until we train up a generation of people who know that there is no religious neutrality, no neutral law, no neutral education, and no neutral civil government. Then they will get busy in constructing a Bible-based social, political and religious order which finally denies the religious liberty of the enemies of God." - Dr. Gary North, an American Christian Reconstructionist and economic historian; has authored over 50 books on topics including Christian theology, economics, and history.

"I don't know that atheists should be considered citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God. - George Bush Sr.

"The Christian community has a golden opportunity to train an army of dedicated teachers who can invade the public school classrooms and use them to influence the nation for Christ" - James Kennedy, Center for Reclaiming America for Christ http://reclaimamericaforchrist.org/about-2/

"Let a wave of intolerance wash over you. I want you to let a wave of hatred wash over you. Yes, hate is good....Our goal is a Christian Nation... we have a biblical duty, we are called by God to conquer this country. We don't want equal time. We don't want Pluralism. We want theocracy. Theocracy means God rules. I've got a hot flash. God rules."

[Aug 8, 1995 U.S. Taxpayers Alliance Banquet in Washington DC: Talking about doctors who perform abortions] "When I, or people like me, are running the country, you'd better flee, because we will find you, we will try you, and we will execute you. I mean every word of it. I will make it part of my mission to see to it that they are tried and executed...

[speech to "Cities of Refuge" campaign, Willoughby Hills, Ohio, July, 1993.] "Our goal must be simple. We must have a Christian nation built on God's law, on the ten Commandments. No apologies." - Randall Terry, founder of pro-life group "Operation Rescue, former presidential and congressional candidate

"Our culture is superior. Our culture is superior because our religion is Christianity and that is the truth that makes men free - Pat Buchanan

"The Bible is the inerrant...word of the living God. It is absolutely infallable, without error in all matters pertaining to faith and practice, as well as the areas such as geography, science, history, etc".

"If you're not a born-again Christian, you're a failure as a human being". - Jerry Falwell

Source: http://adultthought.uscd.edu/Culture_war/The_American_Taliban.html

And to Cal, Legend, and the all the others on here who still deny that people who take the Bible - Old and New Testament - literally, word for word, are rare, here is one more thing for you to ponder:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/170834/three-four-bible-word-god.aspx?utm_source=alert&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=syndication&utm_content=morelink&utm_term=All%20Gallup%20Headlines

" According to a recent Gallop poll in 2014, 28% of Americans (over 1 in 5 Americans, or approx. 84 million Americans) believe that the Bible is the actual word of God, and that it should be taken literally

wpgmhi27j0q8qf977uj8ug.png

WORD...FOR...WORD

I guess that means that up to 84 million of your fellow citizens do not think that the Bible is up for interpretation or is being metaphorical. They truly believe that the Bible LITERALLY means what the words on the page state. Meaning all the joyful laws and punishments found in the Old Testament (including Leviticus, which you are so fond of dismissing) and New are not only totally legit to them, they can also believe that it is their duty as faithful Christians to carry out those rules, as written.

But, unlike me, I guess these sorts of things don't keep you up at night. After all, religious fundamentalism in America is only rare and for the fringe believers I suppose...

Nope. I'm not losing any sleep over it. 11 reasons why:

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/691843/slideshow/9865

One In Five Americans: A Sociological Study

1 / 11

Can't Identify The U.S. On A Map

In 2007, a Miss Teen America judge asked Miss South Carolina how to remedy the distressing fact that 20% of the population cannot locate America on a map. Apparently he had no idea he was talking to their spokeswoman. (via MTV)

2 / 11

Are Unaware Who The U.S. Declared Independence From

The year was 1776. A small band of scraggly yet uncompromising rebels in 13 American colonies were struggling in the noble fight for sovereignty after having been subjected to unfair taxation by tyrants across the ocean in... Russia? China? Mexico? Sigh. (from Gallup)

3 / 11

Think George W. Bush Was A Great President

During his last few months in office, the second President Bush's approval numbers hovered around 20%, the lowest in modern history. At that point, staying in the double digits seemed like a real mission accomplished.

AP

4 / 11

Believe Witches Are Real

A Gallup poll revealed that around 20% of Americans believe in witches. Thankfully, stake-burnings are sooooo seventeenth century. (via Gallup)

5 / 11

Believe The Sun Revolves Around The Earth

Despite only a few (thousand) years of evidence supporting otherwise, one in five Americans still believe that the the sun revolves around the earth. Because apparently the orbits of millions-of-years-old heavenly bodies is up for debate. (from Northwestern University)

6 / 11

Do Not Use The Internet

Unlike these lads, a fifth of our country does not use that vast distraction we call The Internet. And the world's last surviving Compu-Serv salesman has found his target demographic. (from Pew Internet)

7 / 11

Urinate In The Pool

Statistically, at least one of these people pees in the pool. Have a nice summer! (from the Water Quality and Health Council)

8 / 11

Believe The Apocalypse Will Happen Within Their Lifetime

"Clearly, the world is going to end soon -- how could things get any worse than they are right now?" -Every generation, ever (TIME Magazine poll)

9 / 11

Believe Marijuana Is More Harmful Than Alcohol

Although recreational cannabis use is growing increasingly accepted by the mainstream, almost a fifth of Americans believe that it's significantly more dangerous to smoke pot than to consume alcohol. (from Rasmussen)

10 / 11

Believe The Lottery Is A Sound Financial Investment

According to the Consumer Federation of American and the Financial Planning Association, 20% of Americans believe that winning the lottery is probably the most practical and easiest way to make a few thousand bucks on the fly. Why bother working hard to provide a stable future when you have a very good* chance of winning big in the lotto? *probably not very good (from the Consumer Federation of American and the Financial Planning Association)

11 / 11

Believe In Alien Abductions

On one hand, one out of five Americans believe in alien abductions. On the other, aliens who plan on enslaving the human race have four out of five Americans exactly where they want them. (from NewsofAP.com)

What a bunch of baloney. "people who take the Bible literally".....

when did THAT become the subject?

So, GB Sr.'s alleged quote about atheists not considered "citizens"...

is the same thing as a terrorist blowing up a school bus of Israeli children?

Or, taking down our Towers?

How do you liberals get off track so badly, then refuse to admit you are off track?

I do admit, I never heard that quote about atheists.... disputed, and originated by...

an atheist.

"

Disputed[edit]
  • No, I don't know that atheists should be regarded as citizens, nor should they be regarded as patriotic. This is one nation under God.… I support the separation of church and state. I'm just not very high on atheists.
    • Attributed by atheist activist Robert I. Sherman, reporting on remarks at a public press conference Bush held at O'Hare Airport on 27 August 1987 just after announcing his candidacy for president. Initially reported soon after the incident, years afterward disputes on the accuracy of the reports arose, as indicated at "Documents at Bush Presidential Library Prove VP Bush Questioned Citizenship and Patriotism of Atheists" (1 April 2006) at RobSherman.com. Other journalists present have neither confirmed nor contradicted Sherman's account of the exchange. Sherman cites official correspondence about the incident between Jon Garth Murra, President of American Atheists, and White House Counsel C. Boyden Gray in December 1988, as clearly documenting that this was publicly reported prior to that time, and the accuracy of the remarks not contested, though implications of them in regard to actual stances on civil rights were.
    • Frequently misquoted as "No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots."

Extremism means, literally: driving (something) to the limit, to the extreme.

(from Wikipedia).

Taking the Bible literally hardly seems to be that at all.

Libs need desperately to learn the definitions of words, and use them accordingly.

Extremism means, literally: driving (something) to the limit, to the extreme.

(from Wikipedia).

Taking the Bible literally hardly seems to be that at all.

Libs need desperately to learn the definitions of words, and use them accordingly.

Oxford English Dictionary:

extremist (adj): connected with or belonging to extremists

extremist (n): person whose opinions, especially about religion or politics, are extreme, and who may do things that are violent, illegal, etc. for what they believe

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/learner/extremist

If you wish to avoid addressing the issues I've raised in my topic and instead want to play semantical word games, you should at least attempt to use a dictionary instead of Wikipedia, which anyone can edit.

You just proved my point. Believing in the Bible does NOT mean extremism then.

But the Muslim extremists are just that - extremists, because they are violently acting

out according to what they "see" in the Koran.

You can find nutjobs.... but Muslim extremists are in every country, pretty much, and they are

doing hideous violence anywhere they are.

You've just used the word "extremists" to describe people who believe what you don't.

And that, is not legitimately justifiable, regardless of your bs rationalization.

What a bunch of baloney. "people who take the Bible literally".....

when did THAT become the subject?

I'd say probably with the following reply from Stink waaay back on page one. Up until that point, the topic was about religious extremism in general, not solely Christian extremism. Hence the "Religious Extremeism" in the title. But, as usual, unless the topic is specifically about Islamic extremism, why, it's a personal attack on the Bible. Or some other ridiculous horseshit like that.

I'm not the one who decided to go down the Christian extremism rabbit hole, but as long as I'm being dragged down in, might as well make a Tea Party of it...

StuartIt's crystal clear what he's doing. Marginalizing and making excuses for Islamic barbarism with another "Christianity does bad stuff too" thread.Religious extremism is nothing new. The Salem witch trials?The major difference here is that these acts are not a part of Christian principles or ideology.Honor killing, stoning, executing gays etc. are components of a set principles laid down by Islam. They cannot be changed or discarded.Islam is one fucked up religion.

Archived