THE BROWNS BOARD

I'm normally positive, but I want Pettine gone NOW!

Canton Mike

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know... my concern about firing anybody is "Who's next?" It seems that every time we fire somebody, we get somebody in here with even less talent and experience than the last guy, and so on...

I would like to give Farmer, Pettine, and Co. 2 more years to do their jobs; however, this team seems to have gotten worse... and I'm not so sure it's not all on Farmer... Play calling has been pretty bad, and that's on the coordinators (combined 1 year of exp), and there have certainly been some head-scratchers on Pettine's part; however, the lack of improvement in the talent department (especially with having as many draft picks as we had this past year) is where I see the biggest problem...

I want to keep both Pettine and Farmer. But they really need to come to Jesus in the offseason. We're giving you a chance to learn on the job but by gosh actually LEARN. We need some improvement.

The whole best players play mentality is great. Truly, it is. But it can be taken overboard and it has here. My prime example is not Johnny but actually Gilbert and yeah I agree with Mud, we should be seeing more Dwayne Bowe. Like he said, practice performance means nothing if you suck in games. Great post by Mud all around.

We all know he doesn't like Johnny, but today he took it to a new level. He further endangered an obviously injured QB (McCown) by leaving him in rather than putting Johnny in. I don't give a damn WHO he might have put in, but McCown was clearly hurting & should have come out. Pettine's Hatred for Manziel is obvious & totally unprofessional. I have never screamed for a coaches head in mid season but, by God, I'm doing so now. Pettine has no business coaching the Browns & today absolutely proved that. I worked most all my adult life in management & am DISGUSTED by what I observed from an ALLEGED manager today.

Mike

Agree 100 percent. Add Farmer also.

if Pettine truly hated Manziel, he would let him play and get destroyed behind this offensive line. I think Pettine did try to play Manziel, there was a point where Manziel stepped on to the field but McCown waved him off. At some point the coach has to override Josh's decision. Yes, it's admirable, he wanted to "stay out there with his guys", but he was doing nobody any favors by playing hurt. If everyone was putting forth the same effort as Josh than it would be different, but why should Josh kill himself for guys unwilling to play and improve?

Dropped passes, stupid penalties, inability to stop the run, it's the same problems week after week. Nothing is changing. No progress is being made. There is a complete lack of second half adjustments with the Browns that you always see other teams doing, week after week. If I was Haslem I would bring in some coordinators with experience, at least to act as consultants while the new guys are learning how things are done in the NFL. Especially O'Niel, the guy is in way over his head.

Pettine doesn't hate Manziel. McCown has given us some of the best QB play we've seen since 99' it makes sense to keep him as your starter. Call it a mistake keeping McC in the game, but I have a hard time seeing he did it because he hates Manziel.

We can argue McC toughness, whether it's Pettine's fault or not and concedeing to McCown. Truth is we aren't going to the playoffs. The truth is McCown was hurt and wasn't helping. You might as well put Johnny in and let him play the game. Hell, who knows. Maybe he dominates and he scores some points and does something creating trade value at least. The obvious disdain for JM, despite leading us to one of our 2 wins is very off putting.

I know JM may not be the one long term, and I am by no means a strong advocate. But God Damn, you spent a friggin' first round pick on the kid... Let him play the god damn game.

But also, let's remember, that the rushing game absolutely blows and our Oline isn't helping. Listening to 92.3 The Fan, they had Pruitt on and he spoke about the number of carries and the lack thereof that lead to inconsistencies and not getting into the flow of a game as a runner. He says RB's who get carries see things that the D does and learns to adjust (or at least should) to the defenese.

Were a hot mess.

But where do you go. The front office is a fucking mess. You can't blow that up. The team has no talent, but were not letting some guys even play that probably should. And I think we have some talent, and perhaps the coaches aren't playing to those talents.

I don't know... Were stuck in a tight place as an organization and it's frustrating as hell as a life long fan of the team.

TC do you really, really believe Haslam is going to stick with Pettine regardless? I was just having fun- and I rarely do- with a mis-spell. :)

I'm losing confidence fast in Mike's ability to be a HC. Year two you're supposed to see progress- I see serious regression in almost every area. We've upgraded the punting and placekicking- and very little else. Considering we have around the same core group of players- it's troubling to say the least.

I really, honestly do - unless Gruden decides he wants to coach, Peyton retires and ask to be a HC, or Chip Kelly gets fired from the Eagles.

To me, it's all a wash. Look at it this way - last year around this time, we were 5-3 and talking about the playoffs, right? We were saying how great our offense looked under Shanahan and how we were contenders for the AFC North title. At this exact point last year, we were scoring 23 PPG. Right now, we are scoring 21.75. So why are we suddenly talking about how we have no future, this team is so much worse than last year, blah blah blah?

Further, look at the teams we played in the first 8 games of last season. Three of our five wins came from Tennessee (2-14), Oakland (3-13) and Tampa Bay (2-14). Further, we also lost to a very bad Jacksonville team. This year, we've had to face New York, Arizona, Denver, Arizona and St. Louis - who all have top ten ranked defenses and winning records. We're not exactly comparing apples to apples here.

So, we're playing much tougher teams, with an older QB who is doing remarkably better than anyone anticipated and with a rookie NFL OC who is supposed to be replacing some "great" offensive mind, and we're scoring one point less per game....and everyone wants to blow it up? No offense, but the people calling for Pettine's head in here are, for the most part, not the most rational posters.

A smart, athletic interior linebacker, a pass rushing OLB/DE, and time are what we need. That's all.

Stay the course and let the team work itself out. We're still going to finish with 7 wins, despite any sort of major injury to McCown or any other key offensive weapon. Evaluate the defensive performance at the end of the year and let O'Neil walk if it's not improving. But for God's sake, Pettine isn't the problem. Just because he's not running up and down the sidelines a la Harbaugh or having crazy post game rants doesn't mean he's not inspired. It just means he's controlled, which is a skill I value in a HC.

Stay the course and let the team work itself out. We're still going to finish with 7 wins, despite any sort of major injury to McCown or any other key offensive weapon. Evaluate the defensive performance at the end of the year and let O'Neil walk if it's not improving. But for God's sake, Pettine isn't the problem. Just because he's not running up and down the sidelines a la Harbaugh or having crazy post game rants doesn't mean he's not inspired. It just means he's controlled, which is a skill I value in a HC.

Were going to win 5 of the last 8..... That's faith right there.

This is awesome

actually walter, i think the only reason i went off like that is because tim couch pulls out may be right and that is what got me pissed...my apologies to mr couch...did not mean it that way, however i don't like pettine, and i think the only fucking chance of getting rid of him and probably alot of his staff is if we go and lose out...WHICH IS QUITE POSSIBLE...WE REALLY FUCKING STINK...pettine cannot coach and since the 7-4 record after 11 games last yr, he is what..2-11 and the team is playing worse now than ever. farmer is no fucking help either let alone our fucked up owner. But guess what, we get to watch this shit again in a few days..Isn't this fun, HHHHahahahahaaaaa...

Ive been a staunch Pettine defender the whole time and am starting to question a lot of things.....really liked his tough stance with rookies and such, but feel like its going a bit too far now........

Im seeing poor game time decisions, poor clock management and poor choices at the coordinator positions....I think the lack of experience, by having rookies & beginners making up the ENTIRE coaching staff and front office, is really starting to show.....

1) Stop with all the cute situational packages and just put the best players out there....let them get in the flow of the game dammit...

That means put one RB in and let him play....put your best DL in and leave them there......etc etc....when players come in and out and in and out and in and out, no one gets into the flow.....simple......

2) Stop punishing everybody who you dont like and play a few guys who might actually help out...Hey Mike, instead of sitting the guy who doesnt practice well, how about sitting the guys who SUCK DURING THE GAMES???.....eh?.....

3) And Mike, youve always been a straight shooter, so stop saying just a tweak here or there....the problems are bigger than that....man up, say we suck, take some drastic measures and get this train rolling again......

4) McCown should have been pulled....yes, I said that......look, NFL coaches switch QB's all the time.....sometimes a backup can spark the team.....and when your guy is literally broken?, sit him......we should have seen JF for most of the second half...

5) When your receiver is dropping everything, why not try another one?.....Bowe might have caught those Hartline drops....maybe maybe not.....but we will never know because he will never play.....is it Bowes decision to sit or Petts?....

6) And it was REALLY stupid to allow trade rumors to hit the street on a Sunday morning.....wtf is wrong with you guys?.....our FO has been a steel trap for keeping things secret, yet suddenly, rumors of a JT trade hit on the morning of a game?.......screw that.....

Honestly.....Im pretty disgusted with it all.....

Oh yeah.....I forgot.....when you have a guy like Duke Johnson, who is ripping ass in the short passing game, you DONT SIT HIS ASS DOWN RIGHT AFTER HE GETS 60 YARDS IN THE FIRST 1/2.....WTF ARE YOU DOING? TRYING TO TRICK THE OTHER TEAM?.....WHY, WHENEVER SOMEONE PLAYS WELL, DO WE SIT THEM???......

^ Worth another read, even if you've read it before.

I have been on this forum for about 5 years, but this is the first time I have felt compelled to post.

Most of the mistakes Pettine has made over the last 2 years could be chalked up to a coach learning the ropes. My hope has been that in 3-4 years Pettine would turn into a great coach. After yesterday, I am starting to doubt his ability to do that.

McCown was hurt, and should have been pulled for his own safety. From a leadership perspective, that is Pettine's call, not McCown's. I love McCown, because he is a fighter; he is never going to pull himself. The coach has to throw the towel in for him. It was painful to watch McCown continue to take a beating.

Pettine always says he plays the players that give us the best chance to win, but he didn't. McCown was severely limited once he was injured and was not giving us the best chance to win. The game was still within our grasp, we should have switched to another quarterback.

At the very least Pettine could have had a mea culpa after the game and said that he thought he was doing the right thing, but in retrospect he sees that a different decision might have produced a better result.

Pettine failed to look after the McCown's safety, to give us the best chance to win, or to recognize and learn from his mistakes.

Elite coaches are not dying to come coach the Browns. Firing Pettine is not going to make things better. Hopefully, Haslam can get Pettine on the right track.

We all know he doesn't like Johnny, but today he took it to a new level. He further endangered an obviously injured QB (McCown) by leaving him in rather than putting Johnny in. I don't give a damn WHO he might have put in, but McCown was clearly hurting & should have come out. Pettine's Hatred for Manziel is obvious & totally unprofessional. I have never screamed for a coaches head in mid season but, by God, I'm doing so now. Pettine has no business coaching the Browns & today absolutely proved that. I worked most all my adult life in management & am DISGUSTED by what I observed from an ALLEGED manager today.

Mike

By all means, let's continue the proud Browns tradition of firing head coaches every two or three years and fire Pettine tomorrow. That way, 10 years and 5 head coach changes later, the job will be so toxic that the Browns will have to hire a high school coach, because even coordinators from Division II colleges will have no desire for the job. I'm sure that's the best plan of action moving forward.

Who would you suggest we bring in to replace him? Who would actually want to come here with the knowledge that, in all probability, they would be out of a job in two years?

No I'm not because 99% of us have to wake up early and put in 40-60 hour work weeks to survive while these SPOILED FUCKING MILLIONAIRES laugh all the way to the bank.

If I performed at my job the way these fucking assholes did at theirs, I'd be shown the door.

Finally....now we have the reason why you act like the complete whiny asswipe that you are. You're jealous that they make a ton of money and you have to work overtime cleaning out the fry machine at McDonalds.

It all makes sense now...

I really, honestly do - unless Gruden decides he wants to coach, Peyton retires and ask to be a HC, or Chip Kelly gets fired from the Eagles.

To me, it's all a wash. Look at it this way - last year around this time, we were 5-3 and talking about the playoffs, right? We were saying how great our offense looked under Shanahan and how we were contenders for the AFC North title. At this exact point last year, we were scoring 23 PPG. Right now, we are scoring 21.75. So why are we suddenly talking about how we have no future, this team is so much worse than last year, blah blah blah?

Further, look at the teams we played in the first 8 games of last season. Three of our five wins came from Tennessee (2-14), Oakland (3-13) and Tampa Bay (2-14). Further, we also lost to a very bad Jacksonville team. This year, we've had to face New York, Arizona, Denver, Arizona and St. Louis - who all have top ten ranked defenses and winning records. We're not exactly comparing apples to apples here.

So, we're playing much tougher teams, with an older QB who is doing remarkably better than anyone anticipated and with a rookie NFL OC who is supposed to be replacing some "great" offensive mind, and we're scoring one point less per game....and everyone wants to blow it up? No offense, but the people calling for Pettine's head in here are, for the most part, not the most rational posters.

A smart, athletic interior linebacker, a pass rushing OLB/DE, and time are what we need. That's all.

I agree with everything here except for the part about Gruden or for that matter Chip Kelly. Again...only 1 coach has won the super bowl with 2 different teams and that was Don Shula so the odds are stacked against Gruden coming in here and winning one again. I wanted Chip Kelly but I'm not sure he's act is going to work in the NFL but I could be wrong.

To add to your point about the schedule, lots of people were killing McCown for his play against Denver and that Denver "isn't that good" (as more than one person claimed). Any of you see that Denver defense hold the Packers to 10 points last night and Rodgers had less than 100 yards passing in the game? I think we'd all agree Rodgers is a damn good quarterback but Denvers defense made him look pretty average last night.

When you look at the records of the teams we've played, the only really bad team we've lost to is San Diego and they're a dead team walking, kinda like the Browns in 95. They're basically playing road games every single week. Every other team is very good to pretty good based on their records.

Lets see now.....Palmer, Davis, Robiskie, Crennel, Chud, Mangini, Shurmur and Pettine.....

7 changes in 14 years.....and no better results.....

So, to those who say "do it again".......why will it work this time?......and, if we do, who do you plan to get?

Same with GM......before you fire Farmer, Id like to know who you'd get and why?....(and How, ftm)

or is it just change for the sake of change....you know, addition by subtraction?.....cause that always works....

I agree with everything here except for the part about Gruden or for that matter Chip Kelly. Again...only 1 coach has won the super bowl with 2 different teams and that was Don Shula so the odds are stacked against Gruden coming in here and winning one again. I wanted Chip Kelly but I'm not sure he's act is going to work in the NFL but I could be wrong.

To add to your point about the schedule, lots of people were killing McCown for his play against Denver and that Denver "isn't that good" (as more than one person claimed). Any of you see that Denver defense hold the Packers to 10 points last night and Rodgers had less than 100 yards passing in the game? I think we'd all agree Rodgers is a damn good quarterback but Denvers defense made him look pretty average last night.

When you look at the records of the teams we've played, the only really bad team we've lost to is San Diego and they're a dead team walking, kinda like the Browns in 95. They're basically playing road games every single week. Every other team is very good to pretty good based on their records.

I mention them because I think those are the few coaches that would prompt a change in Haslam's eyes, not that I'd necessarily like them.

Although, yes... I personally would like either one of those coaches. Kelly's schtick might not work in the NFL as much as he thought, but I think getting his ass whipped in Philadelphia might humble him a bit. All things considered, he's still a wonderful offensive mind. With that said, I absolutely love the offense that Flip has installed and I'd like to see how well it performs with a confident OL and a dynamic QB.

I mention them because I think those are the few coaches that would prompt a change in Haslam's eyes, not that I'd necessarily like them.

Although, yes... I personally would like either one of those coaches. Kelly's schtick might not work in the NFL as much as he thought, but I think getting his ass whipped in Philadelphia might humble him a bit. All things considered, he's still a wonderful offensive mind. With that said, I absolutely love the offense that Flip has installed and I'd like to see how well it performs with a confident OL and a dynamic QB.

This is indeed the brightest spot so far, over-achieving offense despite little talent - Flip is a rookie coordinator but has done a nice job, much better than Shanahan IMO.

Keeping Pettine and dealing with the growing pains is fine with me, but I would hope to see a shake up of our defensive staff from O'Neil downwards.

Fair enough...I could be sold on Kelly without too much work. As much as I like Gruden and think he's got a great football mind, I would always wonder if the fire is truly there or if this is just another Holmgren deal. From what I've heard (no inside info, just speculation), Gruden is one of, if not the highest paid ESPN employee so it would take a lot of chips to get him to give up that cushy job working 1 night a week vs. what it takes to be an NFL coach.

Yes.....McCown made a bad pass on the interception. He played an excellent game, consideriing all other factors. In fact....he played way above the level of any other player on that team. If you're suggesting Manziel would have done better...well.... I'm laughing my ass off.

Not saying Manziel could have done any better- but as others have said Josh was hurt, and wasn't helping the team. Let's be realistic here- we're 1\2 through the schedule and we're 2-6. (Chalk up one of those wins to Manziel, BTW). So by all means, lets keep Josh in. The only remaining game I have any hope of the Browns winning, considering their current state of suckitude is the SF game. (We're 10 point dogs against the Bungles Thursday if you haven't looked yet) Maybe we somehow pull another game out of our ass and wind up 4-12. Is that enough justification to keep playing McCown? So we're going to have a top 10 pick, and have no idea If Johnny boy is worth keeping around. At this point does it really matter if we trot Manziel out for the rest of the season, lose out and go 2-14? At least we'll have conclusively proven Johnny sucks, and we can go for a top quarterback in 2016.

Pettine doesn't hate Manziel. McCown has given us some of the best QB play we've seen since 99' it makes sense to keep him as your starter. Call it a mistake keeping McC in the game, but I have a hard time seeing he did it because he hates Manziel.

Pettine trusted Josh too much to pull him. Manziel had his helmet on and was going on the field- he got waved off.

Ive been a staunch Pettine defender the whole time and am starting to question a lot of things.....really liked his tough stance with rookies and such, but feel like its going a bit too far now........

Im seeing poor game time decisions, poor clock management and poor choices at the coordinator positions....I think the lack of experience, by having rookies & beginners making up the ENTIRE coaching staff and front office, is really starting to show.....

1) Stop with all the cute situational packages and just put the best players out there....let them get in the flow of the game dammit...

That means put one RB in and let him play....put your best DL in and leave them there......etc etc....when players come in and out and in and out and in and out, no one gets into the flow.....simple......

2) Stop punishing everybody who you dont like and play a few guys who might actually help out...Hey Mike, instead of sitting the guy who doesnt practice well, how about sitting the guys who SUCK DURING THE GAMES???.....eh?.....

3) And Mike, you've always been a straight shooter, so stop saying just a tweak here or there....the problems are bigger than that....man up, say we suck, take some drastic measures and get this train rolling again......

4) McCown should have been pulled....yes, I said that......look, NFL coaches switch QB's all the time.....sometimes a backup can spark the team.....and when your guy is literally broken?, sit him......we should have seen JF for most of the second half...

5) When your receiver is dropping everything, why not try another one?.....Bowe might have caught those Hartline drops....maybe maybe not.....but we will never know because he will never play.....is it Bowes decision to sit or Petts?....

6) And it was REALLY stupid to allow trade rumors to hit the street on a Sunday morning.....wtf is wrong with you guys?.....our FO has been a steel trap for keeping things secret, yet suddenly, rumors of a JT trade hit on the morning of a game?.......screw that.....

Honestly.....Im pretty disgusted with it all.....

Oh yeah.....I forgot.....when you have a guy like Duke Johnson, who is ripping ass in the short passing game, you DONT SIT HIS ASS DOWN RIGHT AFTER HE GETS 60 YARDS IN THE FIRST 1/2.....WTF ARE YOU DOING? TRYING TO TRICK THE OTHER TEAM?.....WHY, WHENEVER SOMEONE PLAYS WELL, DO WE SIT THEM???......

Overall I nominate this for post of the year. What I bolded in your post is something that's honking me off royally too. It's not just Duke- Sheldon gets a sack of Palmer, so we have to pull him for the next play- can't get him overworked, ya know.

I've said it elsewhere- and it was painfully obvious being at the Rams game- this situational Chinese Fire Drill offense and defense isn't working. Get your best guys on the field and keep them there.

RE: #3 dead on. When your non quarterbacks post 20 yards rushing against the Cards, and you're DEAD LAST in the NFL in rushing defense (we gave up yet another hundred yard rusher in Chris Johnson Sunday). This isn't just time to say we need a "Tweak", "we're close", or "We're giving good effort".

This is indeed the brightest spot so far, over-achieving offense despite little talent - Flip is a rookie coordinator but has done a nice job, much better than Shanahan IMO.

Keeping Pettine and dealing with the growing pains is fine with me, but I would hope to see a shake up of our defensive staff from O'Neil downwards.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I am not very enthused with the defensive performance thus far. Part of me wants to believe that we are still implementing a complicated defense and that things will out soon enough, but another part of me is questioning the usage (or lack thereof) of our OLB's.

I wholeheartedly agree with that. I am not very enthused with the defensive performance thus far. Part of me wants to believe that we are still implementing a complicated defense and that things will out soon enough, but another part of me is questioning the usage (or lack thereof) of our OLB's.

My 0.02- they're not using Sheldon enough, and Haden and Gipson have been hurt & ineffective. Kruger is being misused. Mingo is largely invisible.

My 0.02- they're not using Sheldon enough, and Haden and Gipson have been hurt & ineffective. Kruger is being misused. Mingo is largely invisible.

I'm not a coach but I'd agree with pretty much all of that from an outsider perspective. Though I don't expect Kruger would be elite even if used properly. Mingo I think could be effective in pass coverage and occasional pass rusher but we barely use him for either (when we do use him in coverage he's been successful, which must be why we don't play him much)

I agree. I think they are trying to keep the defense fresh because there are were multiple times last season that the defense gassed out in the fourth quarter.

However, that is keeping our best players off of the field for 25% of the game, which is not ideal.

Kruger needs to be able to pin his ears back and get to the QB on every play. Mingo is athletic enough to drop back into zone coverage from time to time. Haden being injured has ruined us, but his play when he was actually active isn't very exciting either. We need two man cover corners, a roving free safety, a hybrid strong safety that can help in the run game, and two gap defensive linemen. We have the free safety, the strong safety and the defensive linemen. We are lacking at CB and LB.

Getting production out of one will help the other, either get LB's that can get to the QB or get CB's that can cover for days.

Personally, my money is on the former, since the latter is almost impossible.

Ive been a staunch Pettine defender the whole time and am starting to question a lot of things.....

You, sir, are on a roll...

Probably one of the finest points made in all this discussing of the game. That's inspiring...

Thanks, cal... I just wish we'd seen signs of McC's inspiration on the field.

Lets see now.....Palmer, Davis, Robiskie, Crennel, Chud, Mangini, Shurmur and Pettine.....

7 changes in 14 years.....and no better results.....

So, to those who say "do it again".......why will it work this time?......and, if we do, who do you plan to get?

Same with GM......before you fire Farmer, Id like to know who you'd get and why?....(and How, ftm)

or is it just change for the sake of change....you know, addition by subtraction?.....cause that always works....

law of averages??????. who knows....

Archived