THE BROWNS BOARD

Would You Take a Shot At Matthew Stafford?

darubes

I would. Depending on what it took.

The Detroit Lions have begun cleaning house. In the past week or so, the team has fired offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi, general manager Martin Mayhew and team president Tom Lewand.

Could the starting quarterback be on his way out of Motown, too?

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Matthew Stafford’s future with the Lions is “very much in doubt” beyond the 2015 season. Stafford is partially responsible for Detroit’s 1-7 record, as he has thrown 11 interceptions — tied for second-worst in the NFL behind Andrew Luck — compared to 13 touchdowns.

Earlier this week, Stafford came to the defense of Jim Caldwell after the Lions coach complained that the media in Detroit is too negative. But it wasn’t the media that started all of the talk of opponents knowing what plays the Lions are going to run before they run them.

Detroit signed Stafford to a three-year extension worth $53 million in new money two years ago. He is under contract through 2017, and his base salary jumps up to $17 million with a salary cap hit of $22.5 million in 2016. The Lions will likely have to eat money if they find a way to get rid of him.

Stafford is capable of playing well and is just 27, so it would be premature to write him off. Heck, his wife thinks the refs have been part of the problem this season. But if the Lions are truly blowing everything up and rebuilding, moving on from their highly-paid quarterback would make sense.

Again to this point he is better than any QB currently on the Browns roster. If he becomes available you make that determination again and weigh the cost vs benefit. The one point I agree with Farmer on is you add players that are better than yours whenever possible. Just wonder how he made that determination on Dwayne Bowe?

He is only 27 and with a big arm. Sometimes a change of

scenery can do a person some good.I would not give up

a first rounder but maybe a combo of players and drfat

picks.How about Dwayne Bowe and Johnny Manziel for

Stafford and Calvin Johnson???? LOL…...

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Matthew Stafford’s future with the Lions is “very much in doubt” beyond the 2015 season.

That's 20 more QB treads not including C. Cook vs C. Jones. Save your breath. this is Cleveland!!

I don't like Stafford. At all. He just misses too many throws....he looks great when a throw is on target...but the thing about Stafford is that he makes a higher percentage of open misses down the field than about any qb in the league. A few of his decent years(and definitely his best year when he threw 40tds I believe) a bunch of those throws were a prime CJ just pulling jump balls out of the air.....what is Stafford going to throw those same covered jump balls to Hawkins and expect him to make a play? lmao....

If we could get him without overpaying, I would take him. Of course, he would not be a quick fix to turn this team around, but it would kind of stabilize the qb position, so we could fix the bigger problems.

Is he over 6 foot tall, throws overhand, and hasn't punched out his ho on the interstate in the last month?

Fuck Yea.

Z

The culture shock would be the difference between throwing to a nice target like Calvin Johnson and downgrading to our 2 little Oompa Loompas with no catch radius.

Would I take a chance on a guy like him? Hell yes, but it all depends on the price. And don't forget, he had a hall of fame WR playing with him for his entire career. A giant hall of fame WR at that. Not a bunch of mighty mouses.

I would. Depending on what it took.

The Detroit Lions have begun cleaning house. In the past week or so, the team has fired offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi, general manager Martin Mayhew and team president Tom Lewand.

Ian Rapoport of NFL Network reports that Matthew Stafford’s future with the Lions is “very much in doubt” beyond the 2015 season. Stafford is partially responsible for Detroit’s 1-7 record, as he has thrown 11 interceptions — tied for second-worst in the NFL behind Andrew Luck — compared to 13 touchdowns.

Earlier this week, Stafford came to the defense of Jim Caldwell after the Lions coach complained that the media in Detroit is too negative. But it wasn’t the media that started all of the talk of opponents knowing what plays the Lions are going to run before they run them.

Detroit signed Stafford to a three-year extension worth $53 million in new money two years ago. He is under contract through 2017, and his base salary jumps up to $17 million with a salary cap hit of $22.5 million in 2016. The Lions will likely have to eat money if they find a way to get rid of him.

Stafford is capable of playing well and is just 27, so it would be premature to write him off. Heck, his wife thinks the refs have been part of the problem this season. But if the Lions are truly blowing everything up and rebuilding, moving on from their highly-paid quarterback would make sense.

I hear you loud and clear. Under different circumstances, I'd take a chance on this guy. On the upside, he can throw the ball. On the other hand, he doesn't seem to have 'winning' in him - regardless of playing for the Lions.

However................................for one, I am getting tired of 'taking chances'. This organization has high draft pick after high draft pick and have very little to show for it.

Let's get a QB with credentials - likely through the draft - and take it from there.

Good teams can afford to take chances. Lousy teams don't have that luxury, IMHO.

Archived