THE BROWNS BOARD

Mechanics of a trade.

The Gipper

With Tony Romo going down....and with reports rumored that his injury could actually be career threatening (they say he may need a plate installed in his collar bone), the Cowboys are clearly looking for a potential future QB. They ain't staying with Cassell. They have dumped We-done.

And Jerry Jones has always been enamored with JFF.

And JFF may possibly have burned his bridges here.

So.....a few questions:

What would be the mechanics of making a trade of JFF to the 'boys this late in the season?

Could a straight trade be made? Would waivers have to be passed? What?

The trade deadline was Nov. 3rd and even Farmer is not dumb enough to just cut him.

I understand about the trade deadline......but I don't think that means that there is an absolute prohibition against making a trade. There may be other necessary hoops to jump through....but to just say "trades are verboten" I don't think is accurate.

I understand about the trade deadline......but I don't think that means that there is an absolute prohibition against making a trade. There may be other necessary hoops to jump through....but to just say "trades are verboten" I don't think is accurate.

I mean...they can't be made.

We have no way of knowing what they talk about, but a trade can't be made until draft day.

I found this:

Usually, there is fairly little activity on this day and almost no star players are ever dealt to other clubs on the sixth week of the season. The early deadline, along with players having to learn a whole new system on the fly, along with the salary cap often makes it difficult to make blockbuster trades on this day, unlike most other sports. Like in MLB, post-deadline trades are allowed in the NFL, but only via waivers.

So, it seems trades can be made, but there is a waiver claim process. I guess, if JFF were attempted to be traded to the Cowboys....or anyone, it could be blocked by another team putting in a waiver claim (Why would they?). The the Browns would have to pull him back off the trading block and wait until the offseason to make that trade.....which is when I suspect that they would wait for anyway.

I don't think so.....like I said above.....they can be made if the player goes through waivers.

What you are describing is just the waiver process. It is a "trade" insofar as the player does not reach free agency, but it's not a "trade" as the team giving up a player doesn't receive anything in return.

In the NFL, after the trade deadline is passed - any single player that is cut, regardless of how long they have been in the league, must clear waivers in order to be picked up by another team. This is a process to ensure fair competitive balance in the league.

At no point after week 8 can I give you a player and receive anything in return from you. All I can do is cut the player and send him to waivers.

So...no. They can't trade Manziel to Dallas right now. Not until draft day.

What you are describing is just the waiver process. It is a "trade" insofar as the player does not reach free agency, but it's not a "trade" as the team giving up a player doesn't receive anything in return.

In the NFL, after the trade deadline is passed - any single player that is cut, regardless of how long they have been in the league, must clear waivers in order to be picked up by another team. This is a process to ensure fair competitive balance in the league.

At no point after week 8 can I give you a player and receive anything in return from you. All I can do is cut the player and send him to waivers.

So...no. They can't trade Manziel to Dallas right now. Not until draft day.

Again, I don't believe that is true. The source I looked at said otherwise.

I think you can make a trade, but you must subject the players to the waiver wire. If no one makes a claim on any of the players, it can happen. If someone makes a claim then they can block the trade.

Again, I don't believe that is true. The source I looked at said otherwise.

I think you can make a trade, but you must subject the players to the waiver wire. If no one makes a claim on any of the players, it can happen. If someone makes a claim then they can block the trade.

It is true. That's how the NFL works - it's how it's worked for years.

The "source" you quoted was Wikipedia. Go check it again and tell me what it reads.

It is true. That's how the NFL works - it's how it's worked for years.

The "source" you quoted was Wikipedia. Go check it again and tell me what it reads.

Its says that post trade deadline trades are allowed, but only via waivers.

I don't know about you....but allowed means allowed.

On a similar note he can't really talk to Nick Saban or Jon Gruden until after the Super Bowl, or can he?

WSS

The owner can absolutely talk to those guys as far as I know They are not under contract with another NFL team, which is where the prohibition lies.

I do not believe there is a prohibition from talking to a guy about a future coaching job if he is under contract with a college or a network.

But, obviously the owner must tread lightly and perhaps engage in a little subterfuge....in order to not let rumors fly.

But....I guess that is too late in this case.

Its says that post trade deadline trades are allowed, but only via waivers.

I don't know about you....but allowed means allowed.

Usually, there is fairly little activity on this day and almost no star players are ever dealt to other clubs on the sixth week of the season. The early deadline, along with players having to learn a whole new system on the fly, along with the salary cap often makes it difficult to make blockbuster trades on this day, unlike most other sports. Post deadline trades are not allowed.

It's funny, because that's what I see.

All NFL trades have to be approved by the league office. A "waiver trade" in essence has to be approved by 30 individual teams.

Since the waiver route is only players, there is no ability to use pick(s) to balance the trade.

Finally add that once placed on waivers the player is not subject to recall and the end result is that no player of any value is going that route.

Aside: I seem to remember players being "recalled" from waivers quite a bit in the 60's. May have been around the old process of moving players from the roster to the "taxi squad".

Gip, if you have to wait until the guy clears waivers in order to trade him (which is not the case), then why wouldn't the Cowboys just grab him in waivers? Then they wouldn't owe us anything. This is simple. Trades aren't allowed after the deadline. Unless "via waivers" means you have to get a waiver from the league in order to do it, lol.

You can see a scenario where two teams would each agree to each put a certain player on waivers.

It's just hard to see a scenario where such a "deal" could make its way to the intended exchange.

You can see a scenario where two teams would each agree to each put a certain player on waivers.

It's just hard to see a scenario where such a "deal" could make its way to the intended exchange.

Only way it'll happen is if it's between #1 and #2 on the waiver wire.

Yeah that waiver deal sounds a little risky. Kind of like buying your neighbors TV by him leaving it in the front yard overnight and you putting the cash on the sidewalk...

WSS

Steve, you'd obviously put it in a brown paper bag in a nearby trash can.

Usually, there is fairly little activity on this day and almost no star players are ever dealt to other clubs on the sixth week of the season. The early deadline, along with players having to learn a whole new system on the fly, along with the salary cap often makes it difficult to make blockbuster trades on this day, unlike most other sports. Post deadline trades are not allowed.

It's funny, because that's what I see.

Not sure where you are seeing the "Not" in that statement. Are you Wayne's World or something?

All NFL trades have to be approved by the league office. A "waiver trade" in essence has to be approved by 30 individual teams.

I understand that.....a player that is attempted to be traded must pass waivers (a waiver claim cannot be submitted....that is what I said)

Since the waiver route is only players, there is no ability to use pick(s) to balance the trade.

OK, that may be possible....that a post trade deadline trade must be player for player.....no draft picks.

Finally add that once placed on waivers the player is not subject to recall and the end result is that no player of any value is going that route.

No, no, no...that is not my understanding......I am of the opinion that is a waiver claim can be put it, then the team can pull him back.

Aside: I seem to remember players being "recalled" from waivers quite a bit in the 60's. May have been around the old process of moving players from the roster to the "taxi squad".

This below is from your link Gip.....clearly states that once waived, you cannot recall or withdraw the player....

Ive read, read and read somemore and cannot find a single source that states you can trade after the deadline, though Ive found multiple(every) sources that say no trades after the deadline.....think you're fighting a losing battle and for what?

"".......the waiver period lasts 24 hours and all waivers are categorized as “no recall” and “no withdrawal,” which means once a club waives a player, it cannot take the player back or change the player’s status"""

Steve, you'd obviously put it in a brown paper bag in a nearby trash can.

If the Tellie (sp?) is small enough for that, no one would steal it in the first place... ;)

Yes it is Gip- go find an instance where it's happened. When you waive a player, he's gone, and up for grabs by all the other 31 teams. If he clears waivers, he's a FA, and can sign with any team. See: Pryor, Terrell.

On a similar note he can't really talk to Nick Saban or Jon Gruden until after the Super Bowl, or can he?

WSS

As was pointed out- during the season, NFL teams are only restricted talking to people under contract with another NFL team.

Are you serious or are you fucking with me?

Gip just hates to be proven wrong. We can't trade Johnny until March 15th, though there could be a deal in principle made long before that. :)

2016 significant dates:

January 17: Playoff teams' assistant coaches can be interviewed for head coaching positions until the end of divisional playoff games.

January 18: Deadline for underclassmen to enter the draft.

January 23: East-West Shrine Game, Tropicana Field, St. Petersburg, Florida.

January 24: Conference championship games.

January 30: Senior Bowl, Ladd-Peebles Stadium, Mobile, Alabama.

January 31: NFL Pro Bowl, Aloha Stadium, Honolulu, Hawaii. Assistant coaches participating in the Super Bowl can have a second interview for a head coaching job prior to the Super Bowl.

February 7: Super Bowl 50, Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, California.

February 22: Franchise tag period starts

February 23-29: NFL Scouting Combine, Lucas Oil Stadium, Indianapolis, Indiana

March 7: Franchise tag deadline, 4:00 p.m. ET.

March 12-15: Free agency negotiating period, starts noon ET. No contracts can be executed yet.

March 15: League Year and Free Agency Period begin at 4:00 p.m. ET, allowing teams to sign unrestricted free agents. Trading period begins.

Archived