THE BROWNS BOARD

Orchard covering Boldin

LondonBrown

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Brady Quinn is a doofus...

Look...OLBs have to cover....at least one on every play....thats what they do.....so if it's not Orchard, its gonna be Kruger or Armonty or Mingo....

Everybodies popular choice is Mingo...but then you're playing your worst backer every play....so instead, we use Orchard, Kruger and Armonty more often...but ONE of ems gonna have to cover...

And on the play in question?....Orchard had decent coverage, just gabbbed the guy....it happens...

BQ is a dumbass and didnt understand defenses...THAT s why he sucked...

It may be true you can't rush every LB every play, but why is a LB covering a WR?

Shouldn't the safety be covering the WR in the slot?

not in zone...or a pic type situation...

like I said, he had decent coverage anyway....its not like he was beaten for big yards or anything....LB's cover the middle...

If we only used Orchrd, Kruger and Armonty to rush....then what?....Mingo does everything else???

Its pretty stupid that people actually bitch like they WANT one dimensional Linebackers that can only rush the QB, but do nothing else......and dont like that the coach expects them to cover, play the run and tackle too....

unbelievable....

It happens. One of our OLBs gets isolated on a receiver, and more than half the time, it's not Mingo.

Brady Quinn built a career on reading defensive weaknesses, didnt he.

Oneil's defense had them held to 120 yards through 3 and a half quaters, and I think half of that was QB scrambles, so Im OK with giving him a one week pass.

If you are going to continually play Paul Kruger then you are misusing them.

HA!....I couldnt agree more......

They've cut his snaps by about 30 per game and, for the first time, today Armonty played the most.....Kruger has 5 tackles and 2 sacks in the last 7 games....TODAY Armonty had 7 tackles and 2 sacks....one game...

Brady Quinn on comms couldn't believe his eyes, why does O'Neil do these things?

My knowledge of the game isn't detailed enough to know why he would do something that seems so daft.

LB's covering WR's happens more times than you may realize.

This is my first time listening to Brady Quinn call a game, I hope it was my last.

I didn't see the play in question but I'd be interested to see what Orchards designation was.

Anyone have a screen shot?

IIRC, the Browns were playing zone and Boldin ran a drag route on Orchard's side.

I didn't hear Quinn thank God. I didn't see the game either. Red Zone makes me mad every week and none of the networks like the Browns so I Have to ask you guys. Can you tell me who got the sacks? Also, did we and will we blitz more? We are probably going to get the third pick in the draft. Do we go for Bosa?

I've been watching the Oak vs. Den game tonight and Khalil Mack doesn't drop into coverage. He has 3 sacks so far and rushes the passer or plays the run on every play. Just sayin.

Isn't Mack a defensive end / tackle? I thought we were only talking about LBs in coverage..

No...he's an OLB....and a true 3 tool linebacker....and his team uses ALL the tools.....run stopper, coverage guy and pass rusher..

Looks like Mack ended up with 6 tackles 5 were sacks and no passes defended

He covers a bit more than our guys......Mack has dropped into coverage 71 times....Orchard 70....Kruger 56....Armonty 32

And Aldon Smith, the guy who's played opposite Mack, has only 28.....meaning Mack is their primary outside cover guy...

So.....still falling on deaf ears.....and, again, more proof that our guys are asked to do the same as everybody elses guys

No...he's an OLB....and a true 3 tool linebacker....and his team uses ALL the tools.....run stopper, coverage guy and pass rusher..

He covers a bit more than our guys......Mack has dropped into coverage 71 times....Orchard 70....Kruger 56....Armonty 32

And Aldon Smith, the guy who's played opposite Mack, has only 28.....meaning Mack is their primary outside cover guy...

So.....still falling on deaf ears.....and, again, more proof that our guys are asked to do the same as everybody elses guys

Yet Mack has carded 776 snaps, while Orchard only has 358 and Kruger 539.

So...not exactly the same.their "primary outside cover guy" is in coverage on 10% of his snaps, while ours are in coverage 15 - 20%.

Yet Mack has carded 776 snaps, while Orchard only has 358 and Kruger 539.

So...not exactly the same.their "primary outside cover guy" is in coverage on 10% of his snaps, while ours are in coverage 15 - 20%.

Thats fair...but we dont play the same systems, etc.....so was really just a response to the claim that he dosnt cover....or that OLBs dont cover....

He should cover less anyway, because he actually "can" get to the QB and play the run. so he stays in the whole game....Kruger cant, so he sits A LOT, while Orchard or Mingo cover(cause he cant play all 3 downs, like Mack...hence the reason Mack gets hundreds more snaps.....

Plus, lets get real....comparing Kruger vs Mack is a ridiculous comparison to start with.....

Also comparing Pettine and O'neil with Jack Del Rio and Ken Norton would be ridiculous.

They use their guys in places were they have a better chance to succeed. Our coaches seem to think their way will work with any player, regardless of the players ability.

In a 3-4 typical defense the Jack OLB is primarily a pass rusher. That requires a physique that isn't ideal for pass coverage. I don't mind the occasional zone coverage for an OLB but it didn't look like Orchard or Armonty Bryant vs Cinci were in zone coverage. If there are so many receivers out there that you need to put an OLB in coverage than maybe we should be in a nickel defense or dime defense. It's all about mismatches and I don't see the sense in making the opposing offenses job easier. We don't run a 4-3 defense where the OLB is expected to cover more.

I don't think they should rush every play, but I also don't think they should cover wr's either.

Cover the TE or the backs out of the backfield is fine, but not the best wr on the other team

Also even when the Raiders rushed only 3 guys, one of them was Mack. Mack wasn't covering a Wr at all today.

As for the different system, you are correct. They run a system that helps their players make plays. We don't do that.

We run a system that has us ranked last or very near last . And it seems like the coaches won't change their ways, even though the guys they have running the system, are not good at the system.

As for Brady Quinn saying stuff about our def, I have no reason to think he has ANY idea that he knows what he is talking about.

But when Jon Gruden says he has NO idea what the Browns defense is doing, I have to believe he DOES know what he's talking about

I guess we will just have to disagree.

IIRC, the Browns were playing zone and Boldin ran a drag route on Orchard's side.

Yup...

All those confusing facts... will you never stop?

Here's another one... excepting injury, Khalil is on field for every defensive snap the Raiders see.

Yup...

All those confusing facts... will you never stop?

Here's another one... excepting injury, Khalil is on field for every defensive snap the Raiders see.

Ha.....and just to see and, hopefully, settle it...I just found and watched the play again.....over and over....

1st down(following a punt)....and they have run personel with 2 wr, 2 te and a rb.....we counter with standard 3-4-4....

they break huddle and every man goes to the line, with the QB in an empty backfield....meaning 5 receiver set....

our guys adjust.....CB's take the wides.....inside backers take the TE's and orchard takes the slot(Kruger is rushing)....Gipson and Dansby play back 5 yards - spread and wait to play the ball.....

When snapped...Orchard looks to have first 5 yards of responsibility, with Gipsonright behind and coming up to play the ball...

To me.....defensed perfectly personnel wise and really the only option...which is why Brady Quinn comes off like a dumb ass.....didnt even see it was a 5 receiver set/////

no...there are 5 options. he and Whit play the ball....if he's on the line, there is no one over the top and a small 5 yrd pass becomes an 80 yrd TD....and Orchard is left to do what?....he's just there to slow Boldin down, but they hit him inside 5 yards.....its not like Orchard was running down the field trying to cover this guy....sheesh....have you never watched football?.....

Honestly....if you guys just wanna hack at the coach, then do it...but at least TRY to find a valid argument

Archived