THE BROWNS BOARD

We Missed

The Gipper

So.....here goes the second guessing. I know, it is a useless gesture.....but let's say that we want to play the Masochist here a bit.

Here are the woulda/coulda/shoulda from recent Browns drafts. We have the people they did take vs. the people they coulda taken....had they had enough foresight to do so. Of course, it is hindsight that we are looking at this through

2015....I am going to skip this year....as not enough info is in on all the rookies

2014: I. First pick #8 took Justin Gilbert after trading down. Second pick took Johnny Manziel at #22:

A. First second guess: don't make the trade down. Stay where you were, take Sammy Watkins or Khalil Mack

B. OK, so the trade is made. Instead of Gilbert anyone of these would have been better: Anthony Barr, O'Dell Beckham, Aaron Donald, CJ Mosley, Brandin Cooks

II. 2d first rounder took Johnny Manziel. Any of the following may have been better: Kelvin Benjamin, Bradley Roby, Teddy Twatwater, Derek Carr

2013: #6 overall pick was Barkevious Mingo. Could have had Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotoleilei, Kyle Long

2012: 1. Took Trent Richardson with #3. Could have had: Luke Kuechley, Dontari Poe, Michael Floyd, Michael Brockers

2. Second pick took Brandon Weeden. Could have had: Donta Hightower, Bobby Wagner, Alshon Jeffrey, Doug Martin

2011. Traded down, took Phil Taylor. Don't do the trade and you could take: Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Robert Quinn. Even with trade could have had Muhammed Wilkerson or Andy Dalton

2010: Took Joe Haden (a good pick)....but since we are nit "picking"....could have had Earl Thomas, Demarious Thomas, Dez Bryant

2009: Took Alex Mack. (again, a good pick).....but alternately could have had Clay Matthews III, Percy Harvin, James Laurenitis.

2008: Browns first pick came in 4th round. The critique of this draft is that they traded their #1 plus other picks to take Brady Quinn the year before.

2007 1. Drafted a HOFer with #3 pick in Joe Thomas......If you really wanted to snark you could say: coulda had the child beater Adrian Peterson or coulda had Patrick Willis or Darelle Revis. All those could make HOF.

2. You could have probably taken at least 200 players drafted after Quinn and gotten more production than what he gave.

Joe Thomas was the most MONUMENTAL fuck up waste of a draft pick in a long, long time. He has contributed nothing to this team, AND, he has been present for more injured QBs than any other NFL team. As for the rest of it................... I will say it again................ if through the years, with different people drafting, your draft picks are a joke.................. it is the COACHING STAFF.................. not the person doing the drafting that is the problem.

Well, then why are you blaming Joe?

So....you don't like having drafted Offensive linemen.....What about Mack. What about Erving? What about The Schwartz? What about Bito?

Well, then why are you blaming Joe?

So....you don't like having drafted Offensive linemen.....What about Mack. What about Erving? What about The Schwartz? What about Bito?

Not an easy enough target. He picks on a HOF candidate that has locked down his job from day 1, ignores all the other players we've had on the line since that point then pins injured QB's as JT's sole responsibility.

Don't bother quoting or responding to this clown.

Joe Thomas was the most MONUMENTAL fuck up waste of a draft pick in a long, long time. He has contributed nothing to this team, AND, he has been present for more injured QBs than any other NFL team. As for the rest of it................... I will say it again................ if through the years, with different people drafting, your draft picks are a joke.................. it is the COACHING STAFF.................. not the person doing the drafting that is the problem.

You're missing the point- and I'm not going to let you off the hook this time. Your mantra has been draft skill position players. Well, we passed on a boatload that are going to make the HOF. There's been multiple coaching staffs since 2007- so they all sucked? Well, yes, they probably did, but that's no excuse for whiffing on draft picks.

Nah- Brady Quinn and Trent Richardson were much more monumental wastes of a first round pick.

You didn't mention the quarterbacks that were passed on during that time span. A QB, an Adrian Peterson and a Julio Jones would have been nice. There had to be somebody better than what we ended up with.

You didn't mention the quarterbacks that were passed on during that time span. A QB, an Adrian Peterson and a Julio Jones would have been nice. There had to be somebody better than what we ended up with.

Regarding qbs- I looked, and not really.

2007 Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton, LOL Tyler Thigpen

2008 (based on draft position, we missed out on Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco) LOL with our pick the Packers took Brian Brohm. Bunch of other no names with one exception. Chad Henne, John David (shake your ) Bootie, Kevin O'Connell, Dennis Dixon, Matt Flynn

2009 only smart trade the Browns did in recent memory- gifting the Jets Mark Sanchez. (but in that draft the Browns whiffed on Jeremy Macklin, and Brian Cushing) & the one that really hurts- Clay Matthews Jr- who wanted to play for the Browns) QBs? Josh Freeman was off the board with the trade down, but the rest of the qbs are guys you've never heard of.

2010 That's the Haden Ward Draft. China Doll Sam Bradford went #1. Any interest in Tim Tebow? I thought not. You had the Clausen Pickle, and our own, not so beloved Colt McCoy, and Dan LeFevor- who generated some pre draft talk.

2011 The great draft where we passed on Julio Jones and JJ Watt via yet another trade down. Cam Newton went #1, but we (thankfully) passed on Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallett, and TJ Yates, Interested in Collin Kaepernic now? I'm not.

2012 the great Richardson Wee-done fiasco. At lest we didn't sell the ranch to get RG Knee- Tannehill, Osweiler, Russell Wilson !!!, Kirk Cousins.

2013 EJ Manuel, Gino Smith, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones.

2014 We took Johnny Football, instead of Teddy or Carr. Other choices were Mettlenberger, Garrapolo, Taj Boyd, or AJ McCarron.

There you have it. So in seven years- we should have had ESP to take Russell Wilson.

I hope you get killed in a Christmas Tree fire

Joe Thomas is a fucking joke. If he broke his leg the Browns would be no worse off. Whether he plays or not, they lose. THAT, makes him the same shit-level player as Quinn, Weeden, Richardson and WIlliam Green.

You're hopeless. Go listen to some Frankie Yancovic Polka Varieties.

It's no secret that we've screwed up a great deal of our "impact picks" throughout the years. The Weeden, Richardson, Gilbert, Mingo picks completely messed us up so bad. I mean, we're barely getting ANY production out of those picks, next to nothing. Not every first rounder is going to be a stud, but it's not easy to do to get barely ANYTHING.

The Gilbert pick had an awful trickle down effect that continues to plague us. Gilbert works out, even as just a "viable starter" and not a star, and we can play the type of scheme that Pettine desires. Press man, with K'Waun on the slot, and Tramon as a backup, or worked in the rotation. But as we all know, Gilbert couldn't even play, Haden got hurt, and it all fell apart. Hell, we have Johnson freaking Bademosi out there as a corner. What defense can win with that guy out there?

The Mingo pick equally crushed us, as we don't have that one impact rusher that can scare the QB. We simply don't have it, and it's hurt us so much. Our secondary has to cover longer, and when you play press man, eventually the guys will get open. It's a terrible domino effect that stems from missing on our impact picks.

Regarding qbs- I looked, and not really.

2007 Kevin Kolb, Drew Stanton, LOL Tyler Thigpen

2008 (based on draft position, we missed out on Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco) LOL with our pick the Packers took Brian Brohm. Bunch of other no names with one exception. Chad Henne, John David (shake your ) Bootie, Kevin O'Connell, Dennis Dixon, Matt Flynn

2009 only smart trade the Browns did in recent memory- gifting the Jets Mark Sanchez. (but in that draft the Browns whiffed on Jeremy Macklin, and Brian Cushing) & the one that really hurts- Clay Matthews Jr- who wanted to play for the Browns) QBs? Josh Freeman was off the board with the trade down, but the rest of the qbs are guys you've never heard of.

2010 That's the Haden Ward Draft. China Doll Sam Bradford went #1. Any interest in Tim Tebow? I thought not. You had the Clausen Pickle, and our own, not so beloved Colt McCoy, and Dan LeFevor- who generated some pre draft talk.

2011 The great draft where we passed on Julio Jones and JJ Watt via yet another trade down. Cam Newton went #1, but we (thankfully) passed on Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Ryan Mallett, and TJ Yates, Interested in Collin Kaepernic now? I'm not.

2012 the great Richardson Wee-done fiasco. At lest we didn't sell the ranch to get RG Knee- Tannehill, Osweiler, Russell Wilson !!!, Kirk Cousins.

2013 EJ Manuel, Gino Smith, Matt Barkley, Landry Jones.

2014 We took Johnny Football, instead of Teddy or Carr. Other choices were Mettlenberger, Garrapolo, Taj Boyd, or AJ McCarron.

There you have it. So in seven years- we should have had ESP to take Russell Wilson.

And in addition to to your insight (hoorta), who knows which of these guys will really pan out prior to the draft. I see everyone making a point of who we missed out on. Again, who knows how these players will pan out. If we took Julio Jones, I would say we also need a good RB as well. This way both they both can share time on offense. Also, we need to have a good CB (unfortunately, not Gilbert). Sure Haden works, but we need at least two.

I'm not missing any point. You guys are giving blowjobs to JT and he hasn't done shit. He is as big of a bust as the two dickheads you mentioned. You can't point to any fucking impact this guys has made. The Browns are a 4 - 12 team with him, and a 4 - 12 team without him. I never wanted Quinn or Richardson, HOWEVER.............. at least those pics had an upside. A star QB or RB is a lot more important than a lard ass lineman. Again, the last boatload of SB winners have won with a lot of late season aquisitions, journeymen and even walk-ons on the OL. I don't remember anyone winning a SB with a last minute walk on QB.

Joe Thomas is a fucking joke. If he broke his leg the Browns would be no worse off. Whether he plays or not, they lose. THAT, makes him the same shit-level player as Quinn, Weeden, Richardson and WIlliam Green.

Yeah, adding a Left Tackle that has made 9 consecutive Pro Bowls in his first 9 seasons is why this team is bad.

You definitely get attention regardless of how strangely you seek it.

In my opinion, Tom Heckert was the best guy we've had drafting (that isn't saying much). His drafts includes Haden, Ward, Sheard, Cameron, Skrine, Schwartz, Skrine, Benjamin, Hughes, Taylor, and Winn. Not all of these players were pro bowlers, but his drafts produced a number of contributors at least. What killed him was the Hardesty, Little, Weeden, and Richardson picks. We cannot afford to miss those early picks. The Lombardi and Mangini drafts were the clear worst in the past 8 seasons.

This is easily in the running for dumbest post of the century. Some of your posts are strangely insightful and then this. I think you may have run out of your schizophrenia meds.

This is easily in the running for dumbest post of the century. Some of your posts are strangely insightful and then this. I think you may have run out of your schizophrenia meds.

No, Tom just thinks you can pull any lard ass off the street and turn him into an effective offensive lineman. It's not Joe's fault the majority of the other 21 starters pretty much suck.

I'm going to re post Bacon Hound's post here Ghoolie. and he's 100% correct. A pro bowl LT on a shit team is worthless- so take a bow, genius. He's so worthless the Broncos wanted Joe to protect Peyton Manning's fragile ass.

No, Tom just thinks you can pull any lard ass off the street and turn him into an effective offensive lineman. It's not Joe's fault the majority of the other 21 starters pretty much suck.

I'm going to re post Bacon Hound's post here Ghoolie. and he's 100% correct. A pro bowl LT on a shit team is worthless- so take a bow, genius. He's so worthless the Broncos wanted Joe to protect Peyton Manning's fragile ass.

Or, back when Denver was actually winning Superbowls - they had Gary Zimmerman (LT) and Tony/T-Bone Jones (RT) in 97 and Tony Jones (LT) and Harry Swayne (RT) in 98. I'm sure everyone felt REALLY bad for poor Terrell Davis back then - he only rushed for over 2000 yards. Poor Denver and John Elway just learned the difference between getting pounded in Superbowls and Winning them; but someone had to block Reggie White for git-r-donesies...

While we're at it here, when the Buffalo Bills had all that Ghoolie Glam - the NY Giants said no problem. We're just gonna run behind Jumbo Elliott for 60 minutes at Bruce Smith's olay and spin moves. We don't mind scoring TDs at the end of Superbowl record length drives exceeding 11 and 13 minutes.

Look at what a bad idea Orlando Pace was for the St Louis Rams - they only went to 2 Superbowls with him on the blind side of QB.

You can only imagine how dumb it looked to draft Jon Ogden way up near the top of a draft. Jamal Lewis rushed for 500 yards in 6 just quarters against us the year they won a Superbowl in spite of Trent Dilfer.

What round did Bill Belichick draft Nate Solder in? Gee, why would he do such a thing?

Archived