THE BROWNS BOARD

Sean Payton Staying In New Orleans

BrownsKidd

Great link and a really interesting read... We may be the first "all-in" team in the NFL.

Interesting read on who has been the biggest proponents. NE springs to mind but Philly and KC, both largely due to Andy Reid, have been leaders in its use. And BLT is high on list as well.

Also interesting to see us among 9 "Believers" teams while only 4 are considered total "Non-Believers".

Thanks...

Mike&Mike simply wouldn't entertain the notion that analytics could work, period.

Doesn't matter that the exact same was said about moneyball..

If it means we won't draft players with character red flags like Manziel and Gilbert, great.

If it means we won't draft players who didn't produce in college like Mingo, great.

If it means we won't draft players who don't want to be in CLE like Twatwater, great.

I've seen a lot of assertions of the "Conclusions" of analytics... and frankly that's all nonsense inside someone's head.

There is no one single Analytical Method to Rule Them All.. it's going to be John's Method, and he may not have it tweaked right the first or second time.

It's just more information for the GM to make decisions. This is essentially saying that the Browns are investing in data - nothing more.

My take on that was Mike&Mike simply wouldn't entertain the notion that analytics could work, period. Doesn't matter that the exact same was said about baseball..

Correct application of analytics do work and several NFL teams use them in multiple areas - probably most widely in terms of medical reasons at the moment, but also in terms of some other stuff.

All in how we apply the data we collect and analyze.

Regardless, I think Payton's only real interest was the Colts. Pretty much every big name under the sun showed interest in the Colts - including Gruden apparently. Then they extended Pagano...

Nfl.com story that he's staying in NO

I think Payton's only real interest was the Colts.

Quite possibly on both counts, but watching his presser live there sure seemed to be a lot of parsing of words in it.

I suspect all is not settled in NOLA...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14515792/sean-payton-remain-head-coach-new-orleans-saints

Pagano staying in Indy.

Payton staying in NOLA

That reduces the field of teams looking for HCs.......though a major surprise came up in Tampa....though it seems they have their man in mind to promote from within. They just need to do the token thing under the Rooney rule.

lol... Must be your Ohio accent...

As a theater major I minored in speech and speech therapy. Our dialect in Ohio is known as general American which is the one that newscasters in just about every part of the country strive for.

But my eyesight is shitty and I'm too lazy to proofread!

:)

WSS

Sean Payton needs to find him a badass defensive coordinator, that's the bottom line. This guy won a freaking Superbowl. It's so strange to me that teams will fire coaches that won a damn SUPER BOWL. Tom Coughlin? Yeah, that guy won TWO. Sure they underperformed this year, but they lost about 7 games in the fourth quarter, some at the very end. I guess you could say they could be the coach's fault, but the players might disagree. I'd take Tom Coughlin in a skinny second, although a guy like that wouldn't come to Cleveland in a million years, and who could blame him. From what I understand, Tom is an asshole to work for, but he gets results. He works the players VERY hard in practice, and that's something we need. The impression I got when he "retired" was that the players were extremely sad and felt they failed him. That's respect.

The Saints made the right move. Suppose they fired Payton...who would they replace him with? Another coach that won a Superbowl? I doubt it. But again, a coach needs excellent coordinators, and last year he had Rob Ryan. Several people on this board disagree with me, but I feel (and several analysts feel the same way) that the Rex Ryan defense is outdated and overly complicated. Yes, I realize there are differences between Rex, Rob, and Pettine, but there are also similarities. The biggest similarity is, they give up a shitload of points and yards. I think their schemes could work if you have the right level of talent on board, but that's not the case. I think Brees still has a few years left in the tank, and if the Saints can grab a stud DC, they'll be back in the playoffs next year. Not just because they're a talented group, but mainly because their division is very weak.

Not going to claim this as gospel, but going back to his Cleveland days through his NOLA, I've never felt Rob's D was close to Rex's.

Always felt Rob could make due with a lot less talent on D so long as the players were smart enough. Lack of talent was certainly a feature of the NOLA D.

Thought just hit me that the CBA's practice limitations may have made it nearly impossible to install and maintain a complex D today...

Thought just hit me that the CBA's practice limitations may have made it nearly impossible to install and maintain a complex D today...

Yep....definitely diminishes what you can practice and prepare for......just a few reps are allowed. so most stuff is learned in the class room and only gets applied during games....

Notice how new coach speak always refers to "the room", instead of anything else.....

The QB room is blah blah....the LB room blah blah....

That cause thats where they live now.....

Archived