THE BROWNS BOARD

Browns to interview Patriots DC Matt Patricia

WalterWhite

He is From the Bill Belicheck coaching tree. Here are Belichecks students Hc records

Eric Mangini win percentage 41.3%

Romeo Crennel win percentage 28-55 33.7%

Charlie Weis win percentage 45.6%

Josh Mcdaniels win percentage 39.3%

Jim Schwartz win percentage 36.3%

Your tree is missing a branch. As I stated in another topic "there is another" (Yoda) that has yet to have a losing season and is currently in the playoffs

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He is From the Bill Belicheck coaching tree. Here are Belichecks students Hc records

Completely irrelevant.

Nick Saban, Bill O'Brien, Kirk Ferentz, Al Groh

I wouldn't call McDaniels a bad egg yet, many consider him up and coming

Jim Schwartz also is considered at least a good defensive coach, maybe not head coach

I think this is an invalid reason to dismiss Patricia

Enlighten me how this has anything to do with Patricia.

Same argument I made yesterday, but with win percentages...

But no, not a valid reason to dismiss... just question.

Nick Saban, Bill O'Brien, Kirk Ferentz, Al Groh

I wouldn't call McDaniels a bad egg yet, many consider him up and coming

Jim Schwartz also is considered at least a good defensive coach, maybe not head coach

I think this is an invalid reason to dismiss Patricia

Saban: 15-17 and bolted Miami which is the bigger issue to me.

Ferentz: nice college coach

Al Groh: 9-7 (85-92 in NCAA) and barely crossed paths with BB...

Well... you still have Bill O's promising start...

It's a cautionary thing. It is demonstrably very dangerous to infer NFL HC success capability from success associated with Bill B.

That is all...

I think the key to whoever is the new coach is does he completely buy into the analytical approach that the owner and the FO are pushing. If he's 100% in on it, he could be a successful coach with the Browns.

If he's just half assed into it, we're right back here next year or the year after starting over again.

I like the idea of Patricia, but he's a project coach. He's not a vet that can turn a team around in 2 years. I would be "all" for letting Patricia build something from scratch ala marvin Lewis. But we all know "full" well that will never be allowed here in Cleveland. We'll be calling for Patricia to be tarred and feathered by Oct of next year.

Head coach matt ptritca

release tramon Williams paul kruger randy starks donte whitner mingo justin gilbert johnny manziel

trade joe thomas joe haden desmond bryant armonty bryant

resign austin pasztor mitchell schwartz travis benjamin jamie meder

paycut josh mccown

Free agency cj anderson oliver vernon nick perry robert golden bennie fowler

Res of my roster I would fill threw draft and I would also switch defense to a 43

I don't agree with a Josh McCown pay cut. anytime you beat a team record for passing yards in a game against a division rival handstand in there and take the beating he did all year on a worthless team I'm pretty sure he turned his 5 million a year.if they could lock up Mitchell Schwartz I would be all for trading Joe Thomas for a top 10 pick take a QB and wide receiver with my first two pics and take a left tackle and best pass rusher available with my next two picks. I would also take a very good look at Lamar Miller from the Dolphins in free agency.l

But (supposedly) we are not embarking on another two-year turnaround effort...

Ha!....

Where have I heard that before.....???

But......at least....by saying it's gonna take years......Jimmy is admitting how deficient the talent level really is.....

It's a cautionary thing. It is demonstrably very dangerous to infer NFL HC success capability from success associated with Bill B.

That is all...

Right.....great systems tend to consistently produce seemingly great performances....(no matter who operates it)....

Tapping some fruit from that tree may not bring a great performer, per se.....but maybe a little of the DNA if things go right

I still wouldn't judge him based on Mangini and Crennel.

I wouldnt judge him....or anybody......based upon somebody else.....(those comparisons are always pointless)(always)

I like the idea of Patricia, but he's a project coach. He's not a vet that can turn a team around in 2 years. I would be "all" for letting Patricia build something from scratch ala marvin Lewis. But we all know "full" well that will never be allowed here in Cleveland. We'll be calling for Patricia to be tarred and feathered by Oct of next year.

Why can a vet turn things around in two years, but a rookie coach can't?

Lovie Smith didn't turn things around in two years in TB.

Eric Mangini didn't turn things around here.

Rex Ryan hasn't turned things around yet in Buffalo (it's hard to "turn around" a 9-7 season)

But Mike Zimmer has really turned things around in Minnesota. And O'Brien has really turned things around in Houston. And Arians has turned things around in Arizona.

Only 4 of the 12 playoff teams have coaches who had previously held the role of HC for another NFL team. O'Brien, Tomlin, Lewis, Zimmer, McCarthy, Gruden, Rivera and Arians are all former coordinators with no NFL HC experience.

The Titans hired former HC Ken Whisenhunt after a 7-9 season. In his first year, he won 2 games. In his second, he won 1 and was fired halfway through the year.

Well BBed today is your day. Pats will only give up today to talk to Matt Patricia. Per bleacherreport it's Browns & Dolphins & with Gase 2nd interview in Miami coming up I say we have a shot..

Dude looks like a Cleveland guy

CX7rd6WWAAET3cF.jpg

CX7pMhnUQAEqcIB.jpg

matt-patricia.jpg

Can you imagine if Mike Holmgren drank those same kind of liquids when he was in Cleveland? He might have shown up to the office during daylight at least once in a while. I gotta get another cup of coffee...

I'm down with him. He's one of several I'd be happy with. We're going to hire someone many of us will be happy with, and our new process of evaluating players and putting together a roster will be a success. Haslam is a new owner, and he's a guy that wants to get it right. Sure, he's made a multitude of killer mistakes, but he's not used to failing, and I'm sure he hates it. The Browns are going to get it together soon. Laugh all you want, make fun of me all you want, but we're going to get it together soon. I feel it. I know, I know...I'm the optimist that people hate, but I can't stand being a negative jerk. I used to be like that, and I hated it.

The new roster begins pretty much now. We're going to take the best available player at #2, we're going to sign a competent WR, and Orchard and Shelton are going to take big steps forward next year. I'm not saying we're a playoff team in 2016, but I'm saying we're going to move in the right direction for once.

One can only hope.

From what I read, O'Neil didn't want to change his defense to fit the opponents. He wanted to be like Seattle, who runs pretty much the same defense every week, and for most of the snaps. O'Neil wanted the opposition to adjust to HIM, instead of the other way around. Not sure how true that is, but I know several of the players were frustrated by the lack of flexibility O'Neil provided.

Problem is O'Neil didn't have Seattle's talent.

Gotta take what you can get. Beard is the new bald.

I was 40 years ahead of the trend BB.

Can you imagine if Mike Holmgren drank those same kind of liquids when he was in Cleveland? He might have shown up to the office during daylight at least once in a while. I gotta get another cup of coffee...

Patricia has a scary resemblance to Ben Rothlisberger, or is that just me?

One can only hope.

Problem is O'Neil didn't have Seattle's talent.

I was 40 years ahead of the trend BB.

Patricia has a scary resemblance to Ben Rothlisberger, or is that just me?

LOL!

I'll tell you what's scary. The last time we had Pat as a prefix in our Head Coach's name - it was Patty Shurms. One of the last things my dad said about the Browns during Shurmur's gig as he was losing his battle to cancer as we punted on 4th and 1 from the Indy 39 yard line with a 10 point 2nd half deficit: "I can't believe they hired this pussy." He also told me "don't feel bad for me about not being able to see this franchise win another championship - I've already celebrated 8 Pro Football Championships."

I don't know anything about how Patricia would do outside of the Supervision of BB in terms of will he be able to relate well enough to today's players or is he destined to lose a locker room as fast as Josh McDaniel did in life outside of Tom Brady's and BB's coattails. Chud showed up as a good Coordinator and left here as a guy that lost the team too early.

I want to hear what specifically makes Patricia hot material for being in charge of all 3 phases here in Cleveland. We don't have NE's personnel and the last 2 NE coaches that came from football utopia to body by Cleveland FO got culture shocked right out of town. Who's out there that's not working with personnel easy street and coaching them up into better football than expected? That's where we're at. Didn't the guy now coaching Jax discover the difference between Seattle's front office and the personnel he has to oversee for all 3 phases now?

Perhaps the most important intangible of all is what Jim Schwartz told ESPN radio and 2 former Titans hosting the show. The most important thing for a new Head Coach is to get hired early enough to the extent all the good assistants aren't already hired elsewhere. He added that he's hired assistants that he knew he would probably have to upgrade just 1 year later unless he was pleasantly surprised. Well, if NE goes until SB Sunday before Patricia can be named as Head Coach - what's left out there to be hired as assistants for this gig? We've seen what a defense looks like with bad personnel + bad/inexperienced defensive assistant coaches look like.

I agree Flugs-the longer the selection of HC and GM, the less we have time to select quality assistant coaches. One thing that impressed me about the Chiefs's staff was how well the assistants were selected by the HC.

I don't know anything about how Patricia would do outside of the Supervision of BB in terms of will he be able to relate well enough to today's players or is he destined to lose a locker room as fast as Josh McDaniel did in life outside of Tom Brady's and BB's coattails.

That's it in nearly a nutshell...

Where BB's coattails end is not just an X's and O's question.

I agree Flugs-the longer the selection of HC and GM, the less we have time to select quality assistant coaches. One thing that impressed me about the Chiefs's staff was how well the assistants were selected by the HC.

Good point. And Andy Reid has experience as a Head Coach so imagine how important this is for a guy that has zero experience as a Head Coach.

Don't forget Haslem did say he wants to retain some of the coaches from Pettine's staff. So does that make it seem more like we are looking at a 1st time HC?

Raider fans loved what hue did for them.

That's true Mike whether you meant it or you were being sarcastic. Only he and Tom Cable won as many as 8 games in 1 season dating all the way back to 2002. He only got 1 year and I'd take 8 wins from any Head Coach in his first year after inheriting the cumulative effect of chaos and confusion in Cleveland. BB didn't even win at least 8 games in any season here until his 4th year if memory serves me right.

Archived