THE BROWNS BOARD

Which Qb Goes Where?

Tim Couch Pulls Out

We're in a year where we have three possible franchise quarterbacks at the top of the draft, with three different skill sets, who have all gotten very positive grades thus far from most NFL analysts. Further, we have a QB hitting the free agent market that is young and still has franchise potential.

However, there aren't very many QB needy teams this year. At least, not like in years past. With six QB's taken early over the past two years, there's a bunch of teams that are still finding out what they have in their guys. So who goes where?

Key:

Definitely needs a QB

Maybe could take a QB in draft or FA, but doesn't necessarily NEED one

Doesn't need a QB

1.Tennessee Titans

2. Cleveland Browns

3. San Diego Chargers

4. Dallas Cowboys

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

6. Baltimore Ravens

7. San Francisco 49ers

8. Miami Dolphins

9. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

10. New York Giants

11. Chicago Bears

12. New Orleans Saints

13. Philadelphia Eagles

14. Oakland Raiders

15. LA Rams

16. Detroit Lions

17. Atlanta Falcons

18. Indianapolis Colts

19. Buffalo Bills

20. New York Jets

21. Washington Redskins

22. Houston Texans

23. Minnesota Vikings

24. Cincinnati Bengals

25. Green Bay Packers

26. Pittsburgh Steelers

27. Seattle Seahawks

28. Kansas City Chiefs

29. Denver Broncos

30. Arizona Cardinals

31. Carolina Panthers

Draft:

Jared Goff, QB, Cal - NFL Draft Profile Grade 6.72

Goff is obviously the choice that many here are throwing around and he makes sense. He's the most polished of the bunch, and is a great passer already. However, he doesn't blow you away with any one aspect of his game. He doesn't have a cannon, he's not supremely athletic, he's not a big body that shakes off would-be tacklers. He just goes out there, slings the rock 40 times a game, and does it with above average accuracy and decent poise. Some say they see his ceiling as elite-level. I'm not sure that I do. An Aaron Rodgers, I don't believe he is. I see him more as what they gave him on his NFL Draft profile - Matt Ryan. That's not a knock by any means, that's just an observation.

Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis - NFL Draft Profile Grade - 6.71

I don't necessarily agree with this grade of Lynch. He likely has the highest ceiling of all of the QB's - he could very well be a Cam Newton caliber player. But he's going to likely take some time to develop, and that automatically puts him lower than the other two right off the bat in my book. Of all the quarterbacks, I think Lynch has probably the highest ceiling just because he's a physical freak. But there have been many a physical freak that have flunked out in the NFL because they couldn't grasp NFL concepts.

Carson Wentz, QB, North Dakota State - NFL Draft Profile Grade - 6.13

Carson Wentz is my guy. I'd like to believe I was the second, maybe third, guy here to jump on the Wentzwagon. He has prototypical size, he has every intangible you could ask for, and he's put together an impressive resume at North Dakota State. Granted, the lack of top-tier competition will likely be a giant detractor for him. But if he had played at any other school and posted even similar numbers, I think Wentz would be the consensus #1 QB. As it is now, he's getting top-5 nods. Before, I'd say he'd be available for us at #32, but now I don't think he makes it past Houston. Honestly, if I were in charge, I'd take Wentz at #2.

Free Agents:

Robert Griffin III

RG3 is as good as gone, so where does he end up? The safe bet is Dallas, but I've heard some rumblings of Philly as well.

Sam Bradford

Bradford is a lock to hit the market, I would assume. Somewhere, there is a team that needs a veteran presence that can still possibly win games. Are we one of those teams?

Kirk Cousins

I doubt Washington lets him leave, I'd put the chances of Cousins not re-signing at about 2%.

Other probable availabilities:

Drew Brees

I don't see it happening, but a team in win now mode could offer up something pretty large for Brees. Personally, the only team that makes sense to me is NYJ.

Johnny Manziel

He gone.

Geno Smith

He garbage.

EJ Manuel

He gone and he garbage.

So where do you put these QB's? There are three teams that I think absolutely need to draft a QB - Cleveland, Philadelphia and Houston. The rest of the teams are kind of just "eh, maybe we could take a QB, maybe not" teams, IMO. Here's what I would like to see:

Cleveland - Carson Wentz

Philadelphia - Jared Goff

Houston- Sam Bradford in FA, Paxton Lynch in draft

Dallas - Robert Griffin III

LA (That was weird to type) - EJ Manuel

NYJ - Drew Brees

San Francisco - Johnny Manziel (as backup)

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Conspiracy theory tells me JM has been supplied booze money by Jerry so the Browns will cut him. It's a short drive from Ft. Worth to Jerryworld. :lol:

I'd put Dallas in the must get category as well. They saw what happens when glassman inevitably goes down once too many times now.

I wouldn't put SF in the doesn't need a QB category. Though they may not draft one high if we go Goff. If we don't go Goff, I'd see him in Dallas or SF.

Though I'm on the Goff train especially if we're talking #2, but you already knew that ;)

I see:

Cleveland - Goff

Philly - someone else (I see them going defense first, idk)

LA - Wentz

Houston - Lynch

Dallas - RG3 in FA

CFL - Johnny Manziel

What's nice to see looking at this way is that we are in control of our own destiny if we like a QB at #2. There's no guy who warrants trading the whole draft for to Tenn, which means we're sitting pretty to get our guy at #2. Jerry Jones has all but said he wants Manziel, so if we cut him he'll scoop him up by the time he lands in Vegas. Texans are in a good spot to get that "falling" prospect (which I think could be Lynch).

I'm all aboard the Goff train as of today, but we got a long to go obviously.

What's nice to see looking at this way is that we are in control of our own destiny if we like a QB at #2. There's no guy who warrants trading the whole draft for to Tenn, which means we're sitting pretty to get our guy at #2. Jerry Jones has all but said he wants Manziel, so if we cut him he'll scoop him up by the time he lands in Vegas. Texans are in a good spot to get that "falling" prospect (which I think could be Lynch).

I could actually see Philadelphia mortgaging the future and moving up to #1 for Goff.

It would take three first rounders, but I could see them doing it. Partially because I think Philadelphia is a organization of idiots, and partly because I think Pederson would endorse this move.

We're in a year where we have three possible franchise quarterbacks at the top of the draft, with three different skill sets, who have all gotten very positive grades thus far from most NFL analysts. Further, we have a QB hitting the free agent market that is young and still has franchise potential.

However, there aren't very many QB needy teams this year. At least, not like in years past. With six QB's taken early over the past two years, there's a bunch of teams that are still finding out what they have in their guys. So who goes where?

Key:

Definitely needs a QB

Maybe could take a QB in draft or FA, but doesn't necessarily NEED one

Doesn't need a QB

7. San Francisco 49ers Will Kelly stick with Kap?

20. New York Jets Fitz is 33, and he's hardly franchise material

My only minor disagreements.

I think your analysis is flawed. Pittsburgh and Denver are both in the market for a QB, and only a fool doesn't know this. Ben and Peyton are both past their prime. These franchises are both light years ahead of the Browns and they are not going to wait until their team turns to shit to find a successor. If the Browns take a QB, Paxton is the gamble to make. His upside is huge.

Should the Browns not take a QB, the Steelers have the assests to work a trade, move up and get Lynch.

This would be just typical of the Steelers, sneaking in to take yet another player the "experts" don't think is that good, and turning him into an immediate contributor. Ben has had it. This is no secret.

Tom, regarding the Donkeys- Manning is sure as hell on his last legs. Depends how highly Elway views Osweiler. Now regarding the Squealers. You're a damn expert on the subject, and you ought to know they never trade up. Hah- you think they'll give up a player like Shazier, their first, and probably more to move up? Never gonna happen.

Goff, Lynch, & Wentz are probably off the board when the Squealers pick and they need to find a replacement for the 34 year old Will Allen at safety in the first round way more than they need to find The Booger's replacement.

The leftover qbs are going to be in probable order Connor Cook (MSU), Christian Hackenberg (PSU) and hmmmm.... Cardale Jones (THE Ohio State University) I could see Pittsburgh taking a flyer on Jones if he's still there in the third round. Landry Jones kinda sucks.

For that matter, it wouldn't upset me if the Browns did what the Redskins did a few years back- draft TWO quarterbacks, one in the first round, and another in the fifth- it looks like we're going to have 4 picks in that round.

It's too early to tell where the draft picks will go. Player's stock get hot and cold during the next four months, and you never know who will be at their peak when it matters come April. Remember Teddy Twatwater being the top player for several months? Yeah, a "poor pro day" and concerns over his slight frame knocked him all the way down to 30ish. And yes...we somehow passed on him. Not that he's setting the world on fire, but he played in his first...what's that called again? Oh yeah, PLAYOFF GAME. It's amazing what happens when a team has a defense and running game.

Our talent evaluators are currently tearing apart the available QB's. If they determine that Goff has what they are looking for, then he'll be our guy 100%. Jackson has the luxury of having a competent veteran QB, and that takes some pressure off of having Goff immediately ready. Lynch has the jaw-dropping physical traits that make people go ga-ga, but as of right now, I don't want him AT ALL. My mind can always be changed, but right now I see Lynch as more of a work in progress. Not saying he won't be good, but I feel like he might need a good two years on the bench. He appears raw to me, and if I had to guess, his college offense wasn't overly complex, and he probably didn't need to complete many reads on his passing plays (I could be dead wrong, just a guess). That being said, as of right now I see Goff to Cleveland, and Lynch to San Francisco to be with Chip Kelly.

As I've said before, every year sees a QB get hot and shoot up the board. This year I don't see as being any different, and I look for Carson Wentz to blow a team's door's off. He has the mind boggling physical traits, as well as other intangibles. Ideally (to me anyways) the Browns would take Bosa, Tunsil, or Ramsey at 2, and then take Wentz in the second round. However, Wentz won't be there, so it's a pipe dream. Wentz will go to somebody like the Rams at 15.

RG III either goes to Dallas...or get this...Cleveland. Don't think so? Yeah, me either, but it's a possibility, especially if he grades out well with our new analytics. RG III could also land in San Francisco.

Cousins goes NOWHERE. His stock is scorching hot, and Washington won't screw it up. "You like THAT?"

Brees...well...there was a time when I thought New Orleans was going to trade both he and Payton, but that doesn't look likely now. He returns to Saints.

Bradford goes nowhere. He'll have a new coach, and a new offense. He stays put.

Manziel...the only place I see him going is Dallas. It's well known that Jerry loves him, and Manziel has always loved the Cowboys, as he's a Texas boy. Slight possibility of him going to 49's, and that's actually where I'd LIKE to see him. I'd love to see Manziel play for Chip Kelly. Manziel screwed up so many times with us, and he really hurt our franchise. I understand that. However, I want to see him succeed. I want to see him get his life under control, and battle his addiction. I'm tired of seeing people lose their dreams to this awful beast.

EJ Manuel...I never liked him. And that's saying something for me considering how I bleed garnet and gold and love my Seminoles. Hell, I live in Tallahassee, went to FSU, and go to many home games. And I STILL don't want EJ. Nope. No thank you.

Tom, regarding the Donkeys- Manning is sure as hell on his last legs. Depends how highly Elway views Osweiler. Now regarding the Squealers. You're a damn expert on the subject, and you ought to know they never trade up. Hah- you think they'll give up a player like Shazier, their first, and probably more to move up? Never gonna happen.

Goff, Lynch, & Wentz are probably off the board when the Squealers pick and they need to find a replacement for the 34 year old Will Allen at safety in the first round way more than they need to find The Booger's replacement.

The leftover qbs are going to be in probable order Connor Cook (MSU), Christian Hackenberg (PSU) and hmmmm.... Cardale Jones (THE Ohio State University) I could see Pittsburgh taking a flyer on Jones if he's still there in the third round. Landry Jones kinda sucks.

For that matter, it wouldn't upset me if the Browns did what the Redskins did a few years back- draft TWO quarterbacks, one in the first round, and another in the fifth- it looks like we're going to have 4 picks in that round.

I think Kelly stays with Kaep; he tried to get him in Philly.

I would have included NYJ in the definitely list of Fitzpatrick hadn't played so well this season. 4,000 yards, 31 TDs and 15 INTs is enough of a season to make you question going for a QB. If they don't go all in for Brees or something, I could see them taking a Cook or Hackenburg in the second round.

I could actually see Philadelphia mortgaging the future and moving up to #1 for Goff.

It would take three first rounders, but I could see them doing it. Partially because I think Philadelphia is a organization of idiots, and partly because I think Pederson would endorse this move.

Eh, I don't see it unless Goff just blows people away in pre-draft stuff. He's a top tier prospect but not the once every 10 years type.

Eh, I don't see it unless Goff just blows people away in pre-draft stuff. He's a top tier prospect but not the once every 10 years type.

I don't see it either - teams desperate for talent aren't as dumb as they used to be, it's pretty widely accepted you don't give up the farm for 1 prospect anymore (well, since the Redskins at least)

This(that there is no guy who warrants trading up) has me a bit lukewarm about our prospects at #2.....

It's laughable at who you put in the 'doesn't need qb' category. About half the teams in the nfl 'need' a qb in the sense that if a truly good guy were there they would want him badly.

San francisco? Miami? They are *not* happy with what they have, and if the right guy was available they would definately try jumping up. They may not think any of these are the right guys though.

The first fallacy of this entire thread is the statement: "There are three potential franchise QBs that may be available in this draft".

I say that is true only if a bolt of lightning comes down and strikes the OP.

Most honest pundits say that the best of these QBs is second round talent....but because they are QBs they will be overevaluated. Yo have your Christian Ponders, Blaine Gabberts, Brandon Weedens, Brady Quinns going for you here.....all of who were touted as first round talent....but were not.

Cleveland - Carson Wentz...maybe with our #32 pick

NYJ - Drew Brees

I think your analysis is flawed. Pittsburgh and Denver are both in the market for a QB, and only a fool doesn't know this. Ben and Peyton are both past their prime. These franchises are both light years ahead of the Browns and they are not going to wait until their team turns to shit to find a successor. If the Browns take a QB, Paxton is the gamble to make. His upside is huge.

Should the Browns not take a QB, the Steelers have the assests to work a trade, move up and get Lynch.

This would be just typical of the Steelers, sneaking in to take yet another player the "experts" don't think is that good, and turning him into an immediate contributor. Ben has had it. This is no secret.

I think you are right that both Pitt and Denver may be in the market for a QB.....but in Pittsburgh's case, I think they thing that they have 5 years left out of BR and that they do not want to invest a 1st rounder on a QB at this point. This year I do think they pick a "developmental" QB in a later round.

And is Denver all in on Brock Osweiler? You make a point.....they may not be and may in fact let him go and be in the market for a QB high in this draft.

But....honestly.....I think that most think that no QB in this draft is as good as Brock Osweiler....

So? What happens then? They give him a long term deal? Let him go and get another....or "settle" for what may be perceived as a lesser talented QB in this draft and hope to get lucky?

Pittsburgh loves Ohio State players.....so they may in fact go for Cardale Jones.

I think he will. He'll interview well, he'll probably be near perfect in his combine throwing, he'll have an average 40 time.

I don't see it either - teams desperate for talent aren't as dumb as they used to be, it's pretty widely accepted you don't give up the farm for 1 prospect anymore (well, since the Redskins at least)

Philadelphia is a dumb team who missed out on their top head coaching choices and the only QB they have under contract is Mark Sanchez, who becomes a free agent next year. They are desperate to erase the Chip Kelly fiasco from history and in order to do that, Howie Roseman is likely looking to give the team a figurehead to support. Lord knows its not Doug Pederson.

If Goff impresses at the combine, I feel very confident that we can convince them we're taking Goff at #2.

It's laughable at who you put in the 'doesn't need qb' category. About half the teams in the nfl 'need' a qb in the sense that if a truly good guy were there they would want him badly.

San francisco? Miami? They are *not* happy with what they have, and if the right guy was available they would definately try jumping up. They may not think any of these are the right guys though.

Do you think Miami hired Adam Gase because they wanted to retool their QB position? You think they went out and got a guy who was heralded as a "QB guru" because they're giving up on their first round QB project? Ryan Tannehill is Miami right now, for some reason. Despite his garbage performances, they keep him. He's on his third head coach and third GM, yet he's still there. Stephen Ross loves him and I'm sure the hiring of Gase had a lot to do with his supposed QB development potential (despite the fact he's just had the luck to work with two talented QB's).

Chip Kelly tried to get Kaep to Philly, I think it's safe to say he's comfortable going into this season with him at QB.

But I'd love to see evidence to the contrary.

Most honest pundits say that the best of these QBs is second round talent....

I still refute this claim.

Most have Goff as a top 5 overall prospect, and the #1 prospect among QBs.

They have Wentz/Lynch in the 15-40 range as overall prospects, #2-3 among QBs.

The first fallacy of this entire thread is the statement: "There are three potential franchise QBs that may be available in this draft".

I say that is true only if a bolt of lightning comes down and strikes the OP.

Most honest pundits say that the best of these QBs is second round talent....but because they are QBs they will be overevaluated. Yo have your Christian Ponders, Blaine Gabberts, Brandon Weedens, Brady Quinns going for you here.....all of who were touted as first round talent....but were not.

Cleveland - Carson Wentz...maybe with our #32 pick

NYJ - Drew Brees

Both Paxton Lynch (6.71) and Jared Goff (6.73) so far have higher draft profile grades than any QB taken in the last two years - including Winston (6.7), Mariota (6.27) and Bortles (6.22). Wentz (6.13) has the almost the same grade as Bridgewater (6.15), Carr (6.14) and Manziel (6.12). These grades aren't given on a curve compared to the rest of this year's crop, it's a 10 point scale that the NFL has used for the past two-three years.

Whatever "honest pundits" you've been reading are far from correct. I'd love to see examples of this "honest" evaluation.

Wentz won't make it past #22. All three of these QB's will be gone before the first round is over. Houston, Cleveland, and Philadelphia will all take a QB this year.

Your Weeden, Quinn, Ponder, Gabbert comparisons aren't even close to being apt, I'm not sure where you pulled those names from. Not one single QB in this draft compares favorably to any of those players.

I still refute this claim.

Most have Goff as a top 5 overall prospect, and the #1 prospect among QBs.

They have Wentz/Lynch in the 15-40 range as overall prospects, #2-3 among QBs.

That is because you are fucking in love with Goff. Sorry, but just because he is the subject of your ejaculata does not mean that I am going to take your opinion over the likes of Bill Polian etc.

Both Paxton Lynch (6.71) and Jared Goff (6.73) so far have higher draft profile grades than any QB taken in the last two years - including Winston (6.7), Mariota (6.27) and Bortles (6.22). Wentz (6.13) has the almost the same grade as Bridgewater (6.15), Carr (6.14) and Manziel (6.12). These grades aren't given on a curve compared to the rest of this year's crop, it's a 10 point scale that the NFL has used for the past two-three years.

Whatever "honest pundits" you've been reading are far from correct. I'd love to see examples of this "honest" evaluation.

Bill Polian comes immediately to mind. Do you think he has any talent evaluation skills? There are a number of others....but off the top of my head I don't have their names.

Wentz won't make it past #22. All three of these QB's will be gone before the first round is over. Houston, Cleveland, and Philadelphia will all take a QB this year.

Your Weeden, Quinn, Ponder, Gabbert comparisons aren't even close to being apt, I'm not sure where you pulled those names from. Not one single QB in this draft compares favorably to any of those players.

Those guys were all 1st round draft picks.....do you not recall that? And they were all massively overevaluated....do you recall that?

I hope you are all right.....that if the Browns take Goff that he is the next coming of Aaron Rodgers (fellow Cal grad who we should have taken back when). But....until I see them perform in the NFL.....I still think they may be the Ponders/Gabberts of this world.

That is because you are fucking in love with Goff. Sorry, but just because he is the subject of your ejaculata does not mean that I am going to take your opinion over the likes of Bill Polian etc.

I'm just saying the pundits don't agree with you, you're disagreeing with them.

I haven't seen anything from Polian regarding Goff/Lynch/Wentz - unless you're referencing the fact he thinks that college QBs are more and more woefully unprepared for the NFL because of the prevalence of spread type systems, which is probably a pretty true statement. It's also a fact pundits are talking about when they evaluate these guys - and why it doesn't matter a lot for some of them.

---

And also I like Goff but I have provided substance as to why

I'm just saying the pundits don't agree with you, you're disagreeing with them.

But...the pundits do agree with me.

I haven't seen anything from Polian regarding Goff/Lynch/Wentz - unless you're referencing the fact he thinks that college QBs are more and more woefully unprepared for the NFL because of the prevalence of spread type systems, which is probably a pretty true statement. It's also a fact pundits are talking about when they evaluate these guys - and why it doesn't matter a lot for some of them.

I am referencing the fact that on TV....I have seen him say that no QB coming out in this draft is 1st round quality.

Yes, he said what you said.....but he has given more that one opinion on TV.

https://clesportstalk.net/why-in-the-world-do-people-think-drafting-jared-goff-or-paxton-lynch-is-a-good-idea/

Lynch not a good prospect because he's too tall?

Overall this sounds like an angry fan made piece - using outdated information and he discredits the information/scouting reports that he disagrees with.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000578322/article/is-hype-about-memphis-qb-paxton-lynch-warranted

Over 2 months old, and I don't really disagree with some of the things he says.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/beartalk/2015/12/02/football-espns-todd-mcshay-says-jared-goff-stay/

Here even Kiper and McShay back off these guys.

Over a month old, and their opinions seem to have changed...

Kiper has Goff going at #2 in his first mock draft (released a few days ago), not sure what McShay's current opinion is.

But still, none of those guys were saying in December or November that they weren't worth first round picks. Today the opinion is solidified that they are indeed worth first round picks, top 5, top 10, top 20 maybe is in the debate - but 1st round worthy is not in the debate

NFL.com, CBS, and a few other smaller outlets have released early draft profiles for Goff/Wentz/Lynch. They have them all (mostly) in the top 30 of overall prospects (top 20 for all 3, in a lot of cases)

Bucky Brooks has Goff gone at #2.

I'm just saying they aren't being overvalued because they're QBs, and nobody views them as 2nd round talent. (Maybe Polian does? Nobody else does)

Kiper has Goff going at #2 in his first mock draft (released a few days ago), not sure what McShay's current opinion is.

But still, none of those guys were saying in December or November that they weren't worth first round picks. Today the opinion is solidified that they are indeed worth first round picks, top 5, top 10, top 20 maybe is in the debate - but 1st round worthy is not in the debate

NFL.com, CBS, and a few other smaller outlets have released early draft profiles for Goff/Wentz/Lynch. They have them all (mostly) in the top 30 of overall prospects (top 20 for all 3, in a lot of cases)

Bucky Brooks has Goff gone at #2.

I'm just saying they aren't being overvalued because they're QBs, and nobody views them as 2nd round talent. (Maybe Polian does? Nobody else does)

Many, many people have said that these two guys are 2d rounders. You just want to argue with their analysis because of your love affair.

It is not that I want to get into a picayune argument over these guys merits.

But, the point is: enough people have questioned the quality of these guys such that there are indeed questions about them. Many of the top rated QBs of the past did NOT have this many people questioning them.

Ergo, it is a fact: These guys ARE questionable.

Someone may be right.....someone may be wrong. There were guys taken very high that were not questionable....yet they were busts. See Jamarcus Russell. Some may have been questionable first round picks that did great: See Aaron Rodgers. Went #24....not one team would have passed on him knowing now what we know about him.

But if you think that there is a SURE Thing with either of these guys....you are just licking your cum mustache.

If the Browns take one of them, I certainly hope you turn out correct and that we have the next Aaron Rodgers.

Archived