THE BROWNS BOARD

cutler to the bears!

breadman

Guest Aloysius
Now maybe we can start a rumor that the Broncos want to give us Orton and a #1 for Quinn. Hell, everybody wants to keep thinking Mangini isn't crazy abbout him.

Well, this suggests that those reports are accurate:

Sources: Browns, ‘Skins Were In The Hunt

The Washington Redskins and Cleveland Browns were both major players in the race to acquire former Denver Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler, sources have informed the National Football Post.

While the Bears won the Cutler sweepstakes, we have heard that the Browns and Redskins were in the hunt until the end, ultimately losing out when Chicago offered two first-round picks, in addition to quarterback Kyle Orton.

More on this story as it develops.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Bears gave up a TON to get Cutler. Yes they need a franchise QB and Cutler may be the guy but two first round picks a 3rd and Orton? Cutler hasn't exactly won anything or showed that he's a winner. I'm not saying that he isn't and that he won't help the Bears but those 2 firsts and a 3rd sure as hell would have helped as well. However with that being said I'd definitely want a lot for Bi.g Ben but then again he has two super bowls under his belt and has a proven track record of winning football games. I think the Broncos made out like bandits on this trade. They can draft two solid prospects this year in the first round and Orton at the very least will be decent. I guess in the end it all works out....3 first day picks and a decent QB for Cutler? hmmmmm no shanks.

EDIT: Can we turn off the Big Gay Ben thing? I'm sure everyone is aware that when discussing Ben Wallace it does the same?

2nd EDIT: Upon further review it appears I'm not alone. Crazy, crazy trade for the Bears.

The reaction is pretty strange....we essentially used two first rounders and a 2nd rounder to get Quinn. Cutler's a proven star and suddenly 2 firsts and a third is "way too much for anyone." Unless you think Kyle Orton is a real difference maker.

The reaction is pretty strange....we essentially used two first rounders and a 2nd rounder to get Quinn. Cutler's a proven star and suddenly 2 firsts and a third is "way too much for anyone." Unless you think Kyle Orton is a real difference maker.

Only used ONE 1st and a 2nd, essentially or otherwise. Used the 2008 1st to get an extra 1st in 2007, at the cost of a 2nd round pick in 2007.

yea but we did not give up a player too, and besides he maybe proven but I don't like his handling of it all. I have no problem with him requesting a trade it is everything else that I don't like on how he handled everything else.

We did not use 2 first rounders on Quinn, we swapped first rounders from one year to the next. (so in two years we still had 2 first rounders just in the same year) and gave up a 2nd for the swap so we only really gave up a 2nd rounder.

ah true enough. I thought I was smarter than I actually am for a second.

All the same, we used a first and second for Quinn, who I like too but still hasn't done anything and is still unproven. Jay Cutler is a proven franchise QB the Bears needed anyway, easily worth a first and third to me. Then you're really just giving up a future 1st rounder, which will be in the 20s.

I don't know. Doesn't seem like a crazy trade at all for me, especially since I'm not a fan at all of Orton, and a big fan of Cutler.

but they gave up 2 firsts for him, and a third round pick and Orton to Denver for Cutler according to NFl.com

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8...mp;confirm=true

Posted 14 minutes ago

1086 Comments 48 Recommendations E-mail

New home Chicago: Broncos ship disgruntled QB Cutler to Bears

NFL.com Wire Reports

The Denver Broncos announced Thursday that they have agreed to trade disgruntled quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears.

Jay Cutler, QB

Denver Broncos

2008 Statistics

Passer Rating: 86.0

Passing Yards: 4,526

TDs/INTs: 25/18

NFL.com's Steve Wyche reports that the Broncos will receive first-round draft picks this year and in 2010, a third-round pick (84th overall) this year and quarterback Kyle Orton in exchange for Cutler and a 2009 fifth-round selection.

The Broncos were trading Cutler on his terms, and there was no shortage of teams lining up to take a crack at acquiring the 25-year-old Pro Bowl passer.

Cutler had asked for a trade last month after his relationship with new coach Josh McDaniels soured. Their relationship began to disintegrate when McDaniels broached a potential trade of Cutler for Matt Cassel earlier this offseason.

McDaniels and Cutler likely will see each other again on Aug. 30, when the Broncos host the Bears in a preseason game.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

O and looks like Chicago got a 5th for Orton basically.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=5699

Bears trade for quarterback Jay Cutler

By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 4/2/2009 5:34 PM

LAKE FOREST, Ill. – Not only were the Bears involved in the Jay Cutler derby, but they won it.

The Bears pulled off a blockbuster trade Thursday, boldly acquiring Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler and a 2009 fifth-round draft pick (140th overall) in exchange for quarterback Kyle Orton and three draft picks: a first-rounder (18th) and third-rounder (84th) in 2009 and a first-rounder in 2010.

Cutler, 25, played his first three NFL seasons with the Broncos after arriving as the 11th overall pick in the 2006 draft. In his first full season as a starter in 2007, he completed 63.6 percent of his passes for 3,497 yards with 20 touchdowns, 14 interceptions and an 88.1 passer rating.

Cutler was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2008 after connecting on 62.3 percent of his passes for 4,526 yards with 25 TDs, 18 interceptions and an 86.0 rating. By comparison, the Bears’ single-season record for passing yards is 3,838, set by Erik Kramer in 1995.

Cutler grew up as a Bears fan in Santa Claus, Ind., and will be reunited in Chicago with two former Vanderbilt teammates, wide receiver Earl Bennett and offensive tackle Chris Williams. Cutler thinks so much of Bennett that he returned to Vanderbilt to throw to the receiver during Bennett’s Pro Day workout a year ago.

Cutler apparently was upset when the Broncos fired head coach Mike Shanahan and even more angry when he found out that Shanahan’s replacement, Josh McDaniels, was attempting to trade for Patriots quarterback Matt Cassel.

The Redskins, Jets, Buccaneers and 49ers were believed to be the frontrunners in the Cutler derby, but it was the Bears who landed the promising young quarterback in what is undoubtedly the boldest move that Jerry Angelo has made since becoming general manager in 2001.

Stay logged onto ChicagoBears.com for continuing coverage throughout the night.

and from the Denver homepage

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=3...mp;storyID=8930

Cutler Traded to Chicago Bears

Updated 4:41 p.m. MDT

The Denver Broncos have agreed in principle to trade quarterback Jay Cutler to the Chicago Bears. Terms of the deal will be disclosed at a later time.

It has been reported that the Broncos will receive a first-round pick in 2009, a third-round pick in 2009, a first-round pick in 2010 and quarterback Kyle Orton in return for Cutler and a fifth-round pick in 2009, though nothing has been officially announced.

In 33 career starts, Orton has compiled a record of 21-12, including a record of 15-2 in home games.

If the reports are correct, the Broncos will have the following picks in the upcoming NFL Draft:

1-12-12 Denver

1-18-18 Denver (from Chicago)

2-16-48 Denver

3-15-79 Denver

3-20-84 Denver (from Chicago)

4-14-114 Denver

5-13-149 Denver

6-12-185 Denver

7-16-225 Denver

7-26-235 Denver (from Atlanta)

It would also mean that over the next two NFL Drafts, the Broncos will have nine picks in the first three rounds.

Check back with DenverBroncos.com for updates.

I agree.

The disturbing part is Denver opted for Orton over Quinn.

That doesn't make me feel good.

it was not Orton over Quinn it was the 2 first rounders and the third rounder that did it, they basically gave a 5th rounder to Chicago for Quinn, or a third rounder if you want to be nicer, neither of which I would have taken for Quinn, even with Cutler coming here.

It's not that simple. There is no way we'd give them Quinn and all of those picks, as CHI did with Orton. Clearly Denver wanted picks.

It's not that simple. There is no way we'd give them Quinn and all of those picks, as CHI did with Orton. Clearly Denver wanted picks.

Understood. If it was Quinn and all those picks I'd call it a ridiculous trade. But Orton is pretty much worthless to me, you can easily pick up another guy like him in the late rounds. When I say it's basically just giving up a future first rounder in the 20s....that's me saying this year's 1st and 3rd is completely reasonable for a player like Cutler. You're just surrendering next year's pick where you might or might not get an impact player that late.

I can see how the draftniks are blown away by it, but I'll take proven stars (at a premium position) for late 1sts any day.

glad he went to them, and that is over.

O and the Bears were dumb, a first and third and Orton ok maybe, two first rounders and a third and Orton. NO FREAKIN WAY!

You really think the Bears were DUMB...........Cutler is a proven NFL quarterback

They get a young Franchise Quarterback for 2 unproven draft choices, what if the draft choices turn out like Kamerion Wimbley will you still say its a DUMB trade

The Bears with this deal just became the favorites to win there division

i completely agree. da's stock just went up.

How long has Anderson been available and still no takers......................Nobody is giving up a 2nd round pick for DA

Other teams watch film also, if the Bears were interested in DA they could have offered a 2nd or 3rd and the fact that Denver took Orton instead of trying to get Quinn in a 3 way deal tells me most teams are not as high on Quinn as many people here seem to believe.

If the Browns thought so highly of Quinn then Anderson would have been traded by now

I still think Mangini wants to bring in his own QB and that both DA and Quinn are not who he wants leading this team JMO

yes they are very dumb, they gave up 2 first, and a 3rd and Orton for Cutler and a 5th. Cutler has not proven to be that good not to warrant that type of trade.

that is a trade to me worthy of upper echelon players of which cutler has not proven himself to be yet. Does he suck no, is he as good as the trade he just got no.

yea keep in mind the bears don't play in the toughest div. at the moment either.

could be that the browns were not going to give away Quinn, or DA or that they were just seeing what the market value was.

yes they are very dumb, they gave up 2 first, and a 3rd and Orton for Cutler and a 5th. Cutler has not proven to be that good not to warrant that type of trade.

that is a trade to me worthy of upper echelon players of which cutler has not proven himself to be yet. Does he suck no, is he as good as the trade he just got no.

yea keep in mind the bears don't play in the toughest div. at the moment either.

How much football do you watch? For you to make that comment you just made you either don't know a top quarterback when you see one or you have not seen much of Cutler.

Cutler is one of the top quarterbacks in the NFL and better than any QB on the Browns roster, why do you think the Browns were trying to trade for him?

The Broncos gave up a Pro Bowl and proven QB for 2 unknown draft choices, like I asked you and you did not answer what if the draft choices turn out like Kamerion Wimbley would you still say its a dumb trade.

The Bears just became a favorite to win there division with this trade.......A GREAT TRADE FOR THE BEARS

Anytime you can acquire a proven commodity thats a Pro Bowl quarterback for unproven draft choices you make the trade, there is not one quarterback in this draft the Bears could have drafted as good as Cutler is today.

I agree.

Not really. There are more trades left to be made. Do you really think Orton will be the starting QB is Denver? They still have a QB need and alot of draft picks in their hip pocket.

who the hell are you, are you john freakin madden, just cause we disagree does not mean you need to come in here and try and put me down and say that I don't know football. Sorry i don't think as highly of cutler as you do. if he was so great, they would not have let him go.

Did I say that the Browns were trying to trade for him, no I never said that.

Sure Cutler maybe better then the ones in the draft, but Cutler did not warrant this steep of a trade, and bottom line to borrow a tactic from you if you think he does how much football do you watch. Do YOU really know a top QB.

Who was talking Wimberly? And what do you do if both of them turn out to be Joe Montana and LT the orginal LT. would you still say it was a smart one?

...Check back with DenverBroncos.com for updates.

Especially in 3 years. That's a boat load of picks.

This isn't quite Hershal Walker or Ricky Williams stuff, but both the Vikings and Saints lost out on the "get a superstar/give up a bunch of picks" deal.

I know I'm missing something, but can someone give an example of a superstar for a ton of draft picks deal which worked out better for the team receiving the superstar?

You gotta remember that this is the BEARS, who haven't had a franchise QB since Sid Luckman, so this isn't your average superstar trade for them. For them this is attempting to address an historic franchise deficiency.

And when you factor in that Orton only had one year left on his deal and that they'd be using one of those 1st rounders on a QB anyway, it really isn't that crazy of a trade, especially since no QB projects to be as good as Cutler is right now.

AND then consider that the Bears play in the QB-starved NFC North and this move catapults them into instant front-runner status.

All in all, it's a blockbuster that should work out for the Bears much better than the Williams or Walker deals did for those teams.

You really think the Bears were DUMB...........Cutler is a proven NFL quarterback

They get a young Franchise Quarterback for 2 unproven draft choices, what if the draft choices turn out like Kamerion Wimbley will you still say its a DUMB trade

The Bears with this deal just became the favorites to win there division

Before all this McDaniel stuff started up a few months ago I remember hearing and reading from time to time how Jay Cutler was not living up to his billing after the Broncos made him the 11th overall pick in the 2006 draft.

I wouldn't be so quick to give him all these accolades. We'll see how he does when he's on his back three times as much in Chicago as he was in Denver.

In 2008 Cutler had the 2nd highest amount of attemps in the league and was sacked only 11 times. My guess is he'll get

sacked a few more time in a Chicago uniform.

His Qb rating was in the middle of the pack. 6 points higher than Orton's

He's thrown 37 INT's in two years plus 5 games., including the 2nd most in the NFL last year....But he did throw a bucnh of passes so 18 is not horrible.

He's only averaged a TD about every 24 passes. Kyle Orton threw a TD pass every 23 times he threw the ball.

If you throw the ball 616 times, your TD total better be in the mid 20's!!

He threw 4 less TD's on 100 more passes than Derek Anderson did in 2007.

And finally? Add to all this that the guy isn't Mr. Personality. The Denver media has written about it. The guy can rub anyone the wrong way.

If Denver uses one of their 1st round picks next year and can grab a guy like Snead then this trade could end up being a great one for them.....And they still get another 1st! And a third! Put that into perspective....How nice would it be to have a third this year?!!

P.S. Being the favorite in the NFC north isn't saying much. They were probably the favorite before the trade.

Archived