THE BROWNS BOARD

Horseshoe Theory Of Politics.

jbluhm86

Most people here in the U.S. think of the political system as something like this:

left-right.png

...where citizens fall somewhere along a linear political spectrum, with far-right and far-left ideologies being at opposing ends of the spectrum, with ideas becoming more moderate as they approach the center.

The horseshoe theory in asserts that, rather than the far left and the far right being at opposite and opposing ends of a linear political continuum, they in fact closely resemble one another. In other words, their belief in the right to force their will on the populace is just as strong with the only difference being the specific beliefs they are espousing. Instead of being complete opposites on a spectrum, the opposing sides of an issue are more like the ends of a horseshoe:

political-spectrum-horsesho.png

The theory is attributed to French writer Jean-Pierre Faye (http://www.joshuakennon.com/horseshoe-political-theory/).

Proponents of the theory point to similarities between the extreme left and the extreme right. Specifically, the two ends share an authoritarian element. In extreme left political systems (such as communism) the government takes control of the economic resources. In extreme right political systems (such as fascism) the government also takes control of the economic life, creating a central planning. With both extremes, this theory asserts, the power elite are opposed to genuine clean, genuinely free media and speech, and similar democratic institutions that characterize the political center (http://www.gutenberg.us/articles/horseshoe_theory).

The more that I think of this, the more it seems to make sense. Although the Tea Party and various leftist groups have vastly different ideologies, they seem to use the same rhetorical tactics to attempt to force their views on everyone.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

old news. Instead of coming to a rational baseline consensus of how to structure a society, we just have people screaming for their way and ONLY their way.

I just thought it was a very appropriate model which describes the Tea party and some of the elements of the regressive left.

Plus, it has the added benefit of demonstrating that Cal has more in common with far-left liberal radicals than he lets on. :)

Extreme anything sucks. Extremists are insane assholes who are destroying our nation and the whole world. I dont care if you're a right extremist, a left extremist or an islamic extremist, you are an asshole and EXTREMELY dangerous. And it's the extremists that make the most noise and get the most attention. Palin. Trump. Calfox. Too bad to. These kinds of idiots will eventually bring an end to the civilized world.

The most? No. I try not to go to extremes to make a point. That is part of the whole problem. People always point to the exceptions, rather than the norm. And always argue extreme points, instead of reality. Which is the whole point, isnt it?

Well you did use a form of the word extreme 7 times in the post so...

Anyway I don't know what serious points these people make that you consider to be actually extreme or even somewhat extreme?

We all have a tendency to paraphrase our opponents to make them sound worse than they probably are.

WSS

The theory is nonsense.

My pendulum theory does have a good bit of evidence to support it.

The extreme left is extremely anti-status quo. The extreme right is

extremely pro-status quo.

Doesn't sound similar to me. Horseshoe baloney. It's the same

theory with the straight line.

The theory is nonsense.

My pendulum theory does have a good bit of evidence to support it.

The extreme left is extremely anti-status quo. The extreme right is

extremely pro-status quo.

Doesn't sound similar to me. Horseshoe baloney. It's the same

theory with the straight line.

The left if progressive, the right is conservative, and that much is a straight line. But, as you so often like to point out, the extreme left is very 'my way or the highway' - and so is the extreme right.

So, Criss, we are talking about authoritarianism rather than ideology? I guess there's a point to be made for that.

Still I think that in some cases you would want to do something all the way or not do it at all.

WSS

It's not really about doing somethings 'all the way'. Think of it like, some extreme right want christianity to be the only religion, and for everybody to be christian. Some extreme left want no religion. Both are extreme, both are equally vehement about their goal, just with different goals.

I wasn't really focusing on religion, more like capitalism vs communism. Socialized medicine versus complete free market, that sort of thing.

But I understand what you are saying.

WSS

This is why trying to place people along a single dimension when it comes to politics is pointless. For example I want my government to be secular, look after the poor in our society but not limit or penalise big business for simply being big. Each issue is its own sliding scale, and because of that, you end up with as many dimensions to the horse shoe as there are issues, and people can be extreme about some things, but blasé about others.

This is why trying to place people along a single dimension when it comes to politics is pointless. For example I want my government to be secular, look after the poor in our society but not limit or penalise big business for simply being big. Each issue is its own sliding scale, and because of that, you end up with as many dimensions to the horse shoe as there are issues, and people can be extreme about some things, but blasé about others.

True enough.

WSS

The word extremist gets thrown around lately without much to back it up. The westBoro Baptist church probably fits that bill but as far as I know there's nothing tying the tea party to them. Just being against gay marriage and abortion isn't enough to make you a religious extremist.

I want to know, exactly, what makes the tea party extremists.

Well, the policies are more right-wing than standard conservatives/republicans, which pretty much defines you as 'extreme' right wing. Extremeness is of course relevant, the extreme right wing in the UK or US is obviously not as extreme as those in the middle east.

The tea party, however, does seem to attract a large number of extreme nutjobs, regardless of the policies.

Well, the policies are more right-wing than standard conservatives/republicans, which pretty much defines you as 'extreme' right wing. Extremeness is of course relevant, the extreme right wing in the UK or US is obviously not as extreme as those in the middle east.

The tea party, however, does seem to attract a large number of extreme nutjobs, regardless of the policies.

And I'm asking you to prove that unequivocally. You perceive that to be true but I doubt you have any real evidence of it.

. Just being against gay marriage and abortion isn't enough to make you a religious extremist.

depends on the rhetoric you apply to that stance. The far right has accused gays of being responsible for tornadoes and other extreme weather. Does that sound familiar at all? Do you remember that folks here used to blame bad crops on "witches". So would you agree that one can have a stance that gays are not really what god intended, but they aren't evil society subverting tornado conjurers?

I think the tea party has become sort of a leftists' boogeyman without any real reason for it besides general policy disagreement.

I think this has a few pretty extreme views, held by members of the party

http://www.businessinsider.com/tea-party-beliefs-quotes-2010-9?op=1&IR=T

Archived