THE BROWNS BOARD

BE to Giants Still Alive

NW Ohio Brownie

Since yesterday's release of Burress, I have to think the Browns might be looking at offering Braylon to the Giants to acquire even more draft picks. Even though we have greater needs on the defensive side of the ball, acquiring more 2nd/3rd round picks for Edwards could allow us to grab everybody's All-American WR Crabtree at #5 and focus on the defense with the rest of the picks.

I know we need a pass rusher in the worst way, but every mock I have seen is not sold on our pick, whether that be Orakpo or Brown. By adding picks we can afford to take Crabtree and get two or three starters with our 2nd/3rd round picks on the defensive side of the ball.

The other upside here is that Edwards is most likely gone after this year. It's a contract year, so I expect his 'concentration' to suddenly be all better and for him to make all the plays, but no question he'll shop around at the end of '09. Like we did with Winslow, it's time to sell our Braylon Edwards stock because it's only going to decrease over time.

Since yesterday's release of Burress, I have to think the Browns might be looking at offering Braylon to the Giants to acquire even more draft picks. Even though we have greater needs on the defensive side of the ball, acquiring more 2nd/3rd round picks for Edwards could allow us to grab everybody's All-American WR Crabtree at #5 and focus on the defense with the rest of the picks.

I know we need a pass rusher in the worst way, but every mock I have seen is not sold on our pick, whether that be Orakpo or Brown. By adding picks we can afford to take Crabtree and get two or three starters with our 2nd/3rd round picks on the defensive side of the ball.

The other upside here is that Edwards is most likely gone after this year. It's a contract year, so I expect his 'concentration' to suddenly be all better and for him to make all the plays, but no question he'll shop around at the end of '09. Like we did with Winslow, it's time to sell our Braylon Edwards stock because it's only going to decrease over time.

Especially since the Giants have two second round picks and two third round picks. I would take two seconds and a third or a second and two three's.

I was surprised by this:

Edwards Still On Giants’ Radar?

Posted by Mike Florio on April 4, 2009, 9:43 a.m.

By cutting Plaxico Burress more than three weeks before the draft, the New York Giants have essentially put the rest of the league on notice that, if they have a high-end wideout they’d like to trade, now’s the time to get it done.

One name that continues to circulate is Braylon Edwards of the Browns. He’s entering the final year of his rookie deal, and reports recently surfaced of negotiations between the Giants and the Browns that nearly resulted in a deal. (The Browns wanted a two and a five and receiver Steve Smith; the Giants offered a two and a five and either Domenik Hixon or Mario Manningham.)

On Friday, former Browns tight end Kellen Winslow threw a little fuel on the fire by telling Sirius NFL Radio (via Ralph Vacchiano of the New York Daily News) that Edwards wants to play for the Giants.

“For some reason I don’t [think he’ll play for the Browns in 2009],” Winslow told Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcots of the Sirius NFL Blitz. “I know Braylon would love to go to New York. The Giants would fit him to the ‘T’ and he would have so much fun up there. I know he loves Cleveland but New York would be a great fit for him.”

Winslow later said that Edwards “would love it there. He’s a city guy and, yeah, I know he would love it there.”

But the price might be higher than the two, five, and Kyle Orton-style throw-in receiver. Paul Schwartz of the New York Post reports that the Giants were unwilling to give up more than a first-round pick and a third-round pick for Edwards, which implies that the Browns asked for more than that.

Which makes sense, given that the Cowboys gave up a first-round pick, a third-round pick, and a sixth-round pick for former Lions receiver Roy Williams and a seventh-round pick.

If the Browns can get a 1st and 3rd for BE...not to mention a throw in player...I would jump ALL over that.

It would also increase the probability of Crabtree being an option at #5....and would give the Browns 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and a 3rd...and that is WITHOUT trading a QB.

If only the Giants fans were their GM they are really starting to panic. Some of them are saying do whatever it takes to get Braylon like 2 first or whatever it takes. Some also seem to think that his hands are too big of a concern. (dont know where they got this idea) Its pretty fun reading through this thread it is stickied at the top of their board.

http://boards.giants.com/forums/thread/1245579.aspx

I was for getting rid of braylon but after looking the situation over carefully after stallworths tragedy im not so sure we can prosper this season without him on the otherhand if he walks on us next year we get nothing in return and his offers will be abundant..its a tough call for mankok im onboard with whatever they choose to do in this situation..;)

I was for getting rid of braylon but after looking the situation over carefully after stallworths tragedy im not so sure we can prosper this season without him on the otherhand if he walks on us next year we get nothing in return its a tough call for mankok im onboard with whatever they choose to do in this situation..;)

The way I look at this is I dont think he is going to want to stay after next year and I do not plan on us being a power house that has a chance to truly make a run. We are back in a rebuilding mode (hopefully it is only 1-2 years) and so I would love to take the picks and build for a few years down the road.

We have options, folks. Can we not Franchise him next offseason if we chose to? It is far from time to declare him gone IMO.

I don't think he has been consistent enough to warrant us playing his as one of the very top receivers in the league like we would if we had to franchise him. Plus I think he would be an even bigger pain in the ass after he was franchised. I could be wrong on this but I feel like if we have a chance to get a little more out of the Giants than he is worth we should do it.

It seems to me that this could be a draft day deal.

Trying to look at it as Giants fan, I think I'd prefer to try and trade up to #5 if Crabtree is available at that point. If they wanted to go that route it would have to be a draft day deal.

I'd switch first round picks with the Giants if they would give me their third and fifth. Could the Browns get more for that switch? I have no idea. Maybe they could get more if the Giants are as desperate as they may end up being since cutting Plaxico.

For me personally, accepting a third round and fifth rounder for the switch is more of a sign of how unimpressed I am with any #5 pick as much as it is the need for the Browns to get deeper.

This way you keep Edwards and still are going to get a lot of help with picks #29, #36, #50 and #91.

I'd think the Giants wouldn't trade for Edwards without a new contract first. Unless they would plan on Franchising him which is possible since Snee and Webster will no longer be 2010 UFA's.

I've been on this horse for awhile now. First off, any inclination of a 1st and 3rd and this should have been done already, but prior reports were that the Browns wanted Steve Smith and the Gmen countered with Domenick Hixon, a guy I wanted to draft when he came out of Akron.

mz the pussy and you others, understand this is rebuild time whether we like it or not. Doesn't mean I'm completely giving up on next year, but we can tread water with a guy like Edwards or capitalize on his value now. His value declines huge next year, and besides that, we may need to franchise someone else. You stockpile more picks with him and take Crabtree at five, period. Or at that point, someone else figuring they will definitely take Crab may want to move up with us for the right price.

If they can parlay an underachiever such as Edwards into valued picks in a transition year (before he loses value as a future FA) that's the smart thing to do, hands down. This is a pivotal year for this franchise to really change the climate around here the right way and build with picks.

So we're weak at WR for a year, it's not like having Edwards last year did anything for us.

It seems to me that this could be a draft day deal.

Trying to look at it as Giants fan, I think I'd prefer to try and trade up to #5 if Crabtree is available at that point. If they wanted to go that route it would have to be a draft day deal.

I'd switch first round picks with the Giants if they would give me their third and fifth. Could the Browns get more for that switch? I have no idea. Maybe they could get more if the Giants are as desperate as they may end up being since cutting Plaxico.

For me personally, accepting a third round and fifth rounder for the switch is more of a sign of how unimpressed I am with any #5 pick as much as it is the need for the Browns to get deeper.

This way you keep Edwards and still are going to get a lot of help with picks #29, #36, #50 and #91.

I'd think the Giants wouldn't trade for Edwards without a new contract first. Unless they would plan on Franchising him which is possible since Snee and Webster will no longer be 2010 UFA's.

NO NO NO

I've been on this horse for awhile now. First off, any inclination of a 1st and 3rd and this should have been done already, but prior reports were that the Browns wanted Steve Smith and the Gmen countered with Domenick Hixon, a guy I wanted to draft when he came out of Akron.

mz the pussy and you others, understand this is rebuild time whether we like it or not. Doesn't mean I'm completely giving up on next year, but we can tread water with a guy like Edwards or capitalize on his value now. His value declines huge next year, and besides that, we may need to franchise someone else. You stockpile more picks with him and take Crabtree at five, period. Or at that point, someone else figuring they will definitely take Crab may want to move up with us for the right price.

If they can parlay an underachiever such as Edwards into valued picks in a transition year (before he loses value as a future FA) that's the smart thing to do, hands down. This is a pivotal year for this franchise to really change the climate around here the right way and build with picks.

So we're weak at WR for a year, it's not like having Edwards last year did anything for us.

I agree with you Riffer.....It's just hard for me to think the Giants will want to give up #29 AND #91 for a guy that lead the league in drops, has no contract and hasn't been the best of teammates.

The way BE threw DA under the bus, could you imagine the media hype in NYC if he'd do the same to Eli? That kind of stuff can bring a season crashing down.

I agree with you Riffer.....It's just hard for me to think the Giants will want to give up #29 AND #91 for a guy that lead the league in drops, has no contract and hasn't been the best of teammates.

The way BE threw DA under the bus, could you imagine the media hype in NYC if he'd do the same to Eli? That kind of stuff can bring a season crashing down.

Only difference is that Eli is a quarterback. DA is just an oaf.

I think Edwards would pull a Moss to the Pats type turn around in NY since Eli tends to hit his receivers in stride and not hang them out to dry in traffic.

I honestly think Edwards is through with us here, he thinks we hate him because of being part of the team up north, which isn't true by the way, it's from all the god damned drops! Anyways, you take what you can get and run with it. When someone doesn't want to be here they're not going to give it 100%, and we all saw what that did for us last season.

If I am the Giants..I am not making this trade. I go with Steve smith, Hixon, and manningham.. use one of my picks on another reciever. They have no need to panic. They have a decent stable of young guys with good upside.

I would prefer to see... is resign Braylon RIGHT NOW and end this mess. This guy is a star.. I believe the Braylon of 2 years ago is the real Braylon, not the one for last year dropping passes. I think the whole team played stiff last year.. The QB situation effected everyone and coach Crennel did nothing to help... .. I think we make Braylon an offer to stay.. If he says no.. only then am I trading him. I like the idea of getting one of the giants other recievers for the 2 spot and getting crabtree with out 5th.. If Seattle does not snag him to match with TJ Housh.. TJ is already an older reciever and Seattle may be playing possum with the league.

Well said. If memory serves me right, Eric Wright could NOT cover Hixon during our preseason game. I remembered the steller performance and think there's some upside with him. Very intriguing young player.

That said, I also remember Braylon Edwards gave us 17 TDs in 1 season so I think Mancock is looking to fill a shopping cart with exchange value instead of 1 guy NY hasn't used as a fulltime starter. NY shouldn't be the one looking for all kinds of shopping coupons if they want to replace Burress with someone capable of Burress like stats.

Nothing wrong with Mancock feeling out what player/players here have BIGGEST exchange value. We put Dumb Ass on the open market and all we got in return were Condolence Cards on Recycled paper from teams thinking "no thanks - looks good on you though." It got even more comical when our version of Linda Lovelace for DA turned it into a chestpounding session. I'm still wondering the precise thought process that thinks 31 HELL-NO's is bragging material. Then again, why question the cubed root of ignorance when it has such an explosive entertainment value? If Jim Marshall wants to run the wrong way with the football for a TD - who wants to stand in his way of celebrating it right? Thanks Loverboy!

- Tom F.

I agree....If we keep Edwards this year, he'll be gone as a FA & we get nothing & he IS NOT a player I would franchise. If the 1st & 3rd offer surfaces, take it & RUN!

Mike

Yeah, obviously if anyone offers a 1st and a 3rd round pick for BE the Browns would have to agree to the trade. Although, realistically I don't see you getting anything more than a 2nd and a third. Who was more valuable in pretty much every phase of your offense; BE or KW? BE seems to have the ability to be great, but is too inconsistant. I don't think BE should get anything more than the KW trade got you. Although, I think the Giants may be willing to give a little extra becuase of how bad they need a reciever. I think that a 2nd and either a 4th or 5th pick is most realistic. Of course, look what the Bears traded for Cutler. Getting a first round pick out of a team is a possiblilty, I just don't see the Giant giving up that much.

Actually a Philly may be a bigger player then the Giants. I believe both might be interesed in trading up for pick #5 over taking Edwards.

Yeah, obviously if anyone offers a 1st and a 3rd round pick for BE the Browns would have to agree to the trade. Although, realistically I don't see you getting anything more than a 2nd and a third. Who was more valuable in pretty much every phase of your offense; BE or KW? BE seems to have the ability to be great, but is too inconsistant. I don't think BE should get anything more than the KW trade got you. Although, I think the Giants may be willing to give a little extra becuase of how bad they need a reciever. I think that a 2nd and either a 4th or 5th pick is most realistic. Of course, look what the Bears traded for Cutler. Getting a first round pick out of a team is a possiblilty, I just don't see the Giant giving up that much.

Two second rounders does it for me. :)

Guest Masters

Folks, if CLE trades BE, who are the weapons at WR for Quinn or Anderson to throw to? CLE moves Edwards, that leaves no weapons at WR, and CLE already moved Winslow. Even if CLE were to draft Crabtree, that would have them banking on a rookied to carry the full load at WR. While either guy the G-men supposedly wanted to throw in can play WR, they at best are 2nd or 3rd WR right now. They didn't exactly step up for the Giants last season when Plex got suspended. NYG passing game went in the garbage.

Many here know I am not that high on Edwards. I wasn't sold on him coming out do to his mental lapses on the easy catches. I was also the one reminding those last season who were calling him the best WR in the NFL before the start of this season, on this very board. But the guy has everything to be a #1 and did put up huge numbers in 2007. They may not be the precise norm for him, but they aren't a fluke either. The guy can play and you don't remove the weapon from your QB when it is your only weapon. You can't replace Edwards this year alone, and CLE already needs to replace Stallworth at the #2 WR.

CLE can keep Edwards and still have options next year. They can franchise him or use the transition tag on him. Keep in mind that w/ next year as an uncapped year, part of that allows teams to use both the franchise tag and the transition player tag in the same year. So even if CLE had another player they wanted to keep, they could. CLE could then move Edwards as well. There is the risk his stock could fall, but it could also rise. It's a risk either way. The bigger risk is sending your QB out on the field with no one to pass to. We as Browns fans have all seen how good a QB looks w/ zero targets. Maybe other long for the days of Couch to KJ, but I'd rather not see that again.

right now a 2nd and a 3rd do it for me.

I'm soooooooo glad some of you people aren't our G.M. Clayton reported 1st and 3rd is the starting point which is more like it....Braylon is 1 year removed from a monster season and he was having a fantastic camp before he got injured last year. There were several factors as to why he had such a bad season but I fully expect him to bounce back big this season. I'm not for trading him but the minimum I would be happy with is a 1 and a 3.....anything less and I'll be pissed! The only reason I'm okay with trading him for a 1 and a 3 is that I think we are in full rebuilding mode again and if thats the case I want all the draftpicks we can compile!!!

I'm soooooooo glad some of you people aren't our G.M. Clayton reported 1st and 3rd is the starting point which is more like it....Braylon is 1 year removed from a monster season and he was having a fantastic camp before he got injured last year. There were several factors as to why he had such a bad season but I fully expect him to bounce back big this season. I'm not for trading him but the minimum I would be happy with is a 1 and a 3.....anything less and I'll be pissed! The only reason I'm okay with trading him for a 1 and a 3 is that I think we are in full rebuilding mode again and if thats the case I want all the draftpicks we can compile!!!

Remind me now, he's had one good out of how many seasons?

Weren't the rest spent injured or working through an injury?

I just don't see the guy staying productive here.

Maybe I should restate what I'd take and consider fair

Low 2nd low 3rd

high 1st high 3rd.

Yes the guy has a high ceiling

Yes he had a probowl year

Yes he is young and has a long future ahead of him (if he can stay healthy)

Problems include

Bad routes

Stone hands

Gives up

So right now, he's a dud to me and I'll take anything I can get for him before he scats and we get nothing in return.

Remind me now, he's had one good out of how many seasons?

Weren't the rest spent injured or working through an injury?

I just don't see the guy staying productive here.

Maybe I should restate what I'd take and consider fair

Low 2nd low 3rd

high 1st high 3rd.

Yes the guy has a high ceiling

Yes he had a probowl year

Yes he is young and has a long future ahead of him (if he can stay healthy)

Problems include

Bad routes

Stone hands

Gives up

So right now, he's a dud to me and I'll take anything I can get for him before he scats and we get nothing in return.

Okay I'll point out that in his rookie year he got hurt with a torn ACL (an injury that takes 2 complete years to come back from). He came back 9 moths later to play in his 2nd year, a year in which he had 900 or so yards receiving. Then when completely healthy in 07 he had a breakout monster season. Last year was a fluke in my opinion, he started out like a man possessed in the early preseason and then the stupid accident where Stallworth spiked him kept him out for 3 weeks right up until the start of the season. He started out poorly, lost all confidence and things snowballed. He is not injury prone seeing as the thing with Stallworth was just plain silly. I see him getting back to the 07 receiver this year as long as he regains his confidence. We will see but he is 10 times bettter than Roy Williams so we shouldn't settle for less compensation....the Baromaters have been set and they say Braylon is worth a minimum of a 1 and 3.

Were there several factors as to why he didn't have good seasons in 2005 and 2006 too?

The guy has been in the league for four seasons and you want to make him something he's not because of one really good season....A season in which the lack of competition made him and guys like DA look much better than they are. They played the worst schedule in the NFL.

I think the "some" of us you are referring to are not looking at the situation with orange glass on. There are so many things to consider when you go to trade him.

His drops are going to be a big issue to a lot of teams.

His inability to use his head and instead say things like "The fans hate me because I drive a Benrtly and because I'm from Michigan"

But my favorite was this..."I had so many drops in the second half because I was open so much in the first half and didn't get the ball thrown to me that I lost concentration in the second half"..........Way to stay classy BE.

Going into the 2007 season the whispers were growing loud that he was bust. He then has his big season against the worst schedule in the NFL and then the following year he's right back to the BE we knew in '05 and '06.

If the Browns could get a #1 and #3 for this guy they'd be robbing someone.

Okay I'll point out that in his rookie year he got hurt with a torn ACL (an injury that takes 2 complete years to come back from). He came back 9 moths later to play in his 2nd year

He didn't get hurt until December and since when does it take two for years to come back form an ACL doctor? My son had his torn at the start of his junior year in high school and in less than a year he was 100%. He played his entire senior year without one problem from it.

I think normal recovery time is 8 to 12 months.

And why did that stupid accident with Stallworth happen? Because he was being stupid running in his freaking stocking feet.

Idiot.

Especially since the Giants have two second round picks and two third round picks. I would take two seconds and a third or a second and two three's.

3 players in the first 3 rounds for Edwards sounds tempting BUT we're making a depleted group of weapons even more emaciated. I actually LIKE the young man because on top of earning pro Bowl honors - I actually LIKED the stuff he tried to do in the Cleveland Community. For some reason people couldn't wait to boo this kid. Let's face it, no Joe J, a worthless Donte Stallworth and that INVITED traffic with an extra hit or 2 on every route Edwards ran. It's easy for us to boo BUT 1 circus catch too many in Edwards' rookie season caused him to land on a surgery table right or wrong? He had a pretty nice game against the NY Giants so they ought to fork over some quality exchange value or no dice.

Hear me out. We haven't even FOUND young legs to go opposite Edwards yet so if we give up Edwards too - don't we need 3 draft picks just to field 1 decent WR? Good luck with that because I count the following draft picks we placed in the NFL recycle bin:

KJ, Northcutt, Morgan, Davis, Slow-White (Chia-pet), Travis Hill, Stubbedtoes, and Mother Hubbard. How we lookin? They don't grow on trees nor have they been EASY to draft. BTW, we already had David Patton here when he was young enough for upside but we deep 6'd him for the alleged upside of Dennis "I-hear-footsteps" Northcutt. Patton seems like he's getting old enough where wear and tear is stealing reps and steps from him.

Seriously, I've never seen in this lifetime another Cleveland WR scoring 17 TDs in 1 season. Therefore, I HOPE if we DO make a trade we remember Edwards was a #3 overall that gave us a Pro Bowl season when healthy AND we had someone decent opposite him. Maybe all we REALLY need to do is find someone decent opposite him. Maclin comes to mind IF Rey/Curry aren't available or wow-ful to Mankok. Maclin is also an ideal return man so he's dual purpose especially if we're trying to make Cribbs more full-timage on offense. Speaking of Cribbs: get him in the SLOT where open fields are more readily available. Could we waste this kid's ability any more than we have?

- Tom F.

3 players in the first 3 rounds for Edwards sounds tempting BUT we're making a depleted group of weapons even more emaciated. I actually LIKE the young man because on top of earning pro Bowl honors - I actually LIKED the stuff he tried to do in the Cleveland Community. For some reason people couldn't wait to boo this kid. Let's face it, no Joe J, a worthless Donte Stallworth and that INVITED traffic with an extra hit or 2 on every route Edwards ran. It's easy for us to boo BUT 1 circus catch too many in Edwards' rookie season caused him to land on a surgery table right or wrong? He had a pretty nice game against the NY Giants so they ought to fork over some quality exchange value or no dice.

Hear me out. We haven't even FOUND young legs to go opposite Edwards yet so if we give up Edwards too - don't we need 3 draft picks just to field 1 decent WR? Good luck with that because I count the following draft picks we placed in the NFL recycle bin:

KJ, Northcutt, Morgan, Davis, Slow-White (Chia-pet), Travis Hill, Stubbedtoes, and Mother Hubbard. How we lookin? They don't grow on trees nor have they been EASY to draft. BTW, we already had David Patton here when he was young enough for upside but we deep 6'd him for the alleged upside of Dennis "I-hear-footsteps" Northcutt. Patton seems like he's getting old enough where wear and tear is stealing reps and steps from him.

Seriously, I've never seen in this lifetime another Cleveland WR scoring 17 TDs in 1 season. Therefore, I HOPE if we DO make a trade we remember Edwards was a #3 overall that gave us a Pro Bowl season when healthy AND we had someone decent opposite him. Maybe all we REALLY need to do is find someone decent opposite him. Maclin comes to mind IF Rey/Curry aren't available or wow-ful to Mankok. Maclin is also an ideal return man so he's dual purpose especially if we're trying to make Cribbs more full-timage on offense. Speaking of Cribbs: get him in the SLOT where open fields are more readily available. Could we waste this kid's ability any more than we have?

- Tom F.

I respect your opinion because you make alot of great points and usually I agree with you.

Nobody was a bigger Edwards fan in '07. I loved those amazing circus catches he made due to DA's poor placement. I just don't know if he can get back to that level. I mean he has all the physical tools but I don't know if he's mentally tough enough. He goes around blaming everyone else for his performance except himself.

Plus does he really wanna play here? I mean you gotta think about it from a team aspect because we have so many holes is it really gonna matter if he's here or not?

This team isn't gonna compete for another two years anyway because of the lack of talent. So how many wins does he account for next year? How many losses did he account for last year with dropped passes? I'm not saying it's all of his fault but he is a reciever and that's what he gets paid to do.

It's just my opinion to get as much value you for him if you can.

Like I said it's just my opinion

Archived