THE BROWNS BOARD

New beginnings - Danny Shelton

calfoxwc

This draft class is freaking inspiring. Hue Jackson and co. are inspiring.

and Danny Shelton - is also inspiring. He's losing weight, working out like crazy,

and will be more of a full time player. A kickass NT on the field.

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/media-center/videos/Road_to_the_Draft_Danny_Shelton_looks_ahead/48024cd5-80b5-4f84-bbc8-718c67dcc1c2

Cal, we were lucky to get Lava to fall to us last draft. We were not so lucky imo when SF got our pick at 7 in Da Forest Buckner. Which than forced trade down for Coleman. Ogbah is no Buckner imo. Also think our first 2 picks would have fell something like #8Buckner #32. S. Shepard/M. Thomas & Tyler Boyd were all on the board and gone soon after. Would not change a thing starting with Nassib pick. Funny on how moving up 1 slot could have been Goff or Buckner. Got me interested..

Shelton will be fine & this old man will continue to PROUDLY wear my Lava-lava to all games this year!

GO DANNY & GO BROWNS!!!

Mike

I feel a pat on the back will be in order for all the Danny and Orchard fans after the season.

I believe you are correct!

Mike

I'm very interested in seeing some of our second year players, especially Shelton. He's healthy, in great shape, and always has been a hard worker. Hopefully, we have some coaches now that can maximize what he excels at. He needs to keep his pads low and occupy as much space as possible.

I'm also eager to see Orchard and Xavier Cooper. Sometimes players can make large talent leaps from their rookie years, and that's how these things called "playmakers" are born. Players you draft get better, and some get really good. It's time we had a few of those.

I'm very interested in seeing some of our second year players, especially Shelton. He's healthy, in great shape, and always has been a hard worker.

Sorry, he may be in great shape if he were playing OG maybe, but he still looks out of shape for a DL. I will be impressed when I see a player capable of staying on the field through a whole series, series after series. Until then it;'s just another fluff piece. Match the effort of JJ Watt down after down with rare breaks and I will be even more impressed. Right now I think I could stay out of his way and wear him out in 10 rounds of boxing.

EDIT: I have the perfect Browns nickname for him too, Two Down Danny.

Hehe, I honestly see where you're coming from, but I honestly think that for his "body style", he's in good shape. Should he be down a few pounds? Eh, probably, but he's an Inslander. Those guys are freaks of nature, and I heard on the radio that Danny is around 350, and they want him at 335. 15 pounds is nothing to these guys, and it's pretty obvious that Danny isn't feasting on pineapple upside down cake and sitting on his ass. He's working, and working hard. I think he has a legitimate chance at being a valuable starter on our defense. Do I see him as being a game changer? No, I really don't, but I'd love to see him clog things up and get some penetration. He can be a disruptor. He's a high character guy, and he's going to turn it on this year.

Nice video, but he still looks way too soft, with minimal muscle mass. Hopefully he transforms a lot more before week 1. He needs to lose 50lbs of fat and gain 35lbs of muscle.

Sorry, he may be in great shape if he were playing OG maybe, but he still looks out of shape for a DL. I will be impressed when I see a player capable of staying on the field through a whole series, series after series. Until then it;'s just another fluff piece. Match the effort of JJ Watt down after down with rare breaks and I will be even more impressed. Right now I think I could stay out of his way and wear him out in 10 rounds of boxing.

EDIT: I have the perfect Browns nickname for him too, Two Down Danny.

Aggies, you should have added this to the end of your edit: "Trust me - don't trust me!" In college, Danny weighed more than he did here and stayed on the field as an every down defender a high percentage of the time. He was a pretty popular draft prospect in here months before we drafted him.

In Cleveland, the coaching staff preferred to see their big defensive linemen sprinting from the sideline to the 3 point stance prior to the snap not too long after they just had to sprint off the field. They were constantly taking their big guys on and off the field, which seems like an exact opposite to getting fresh legs and a full tank of O2. I noticed this before Shelton even arrived when we beat TN in Nashville in 2014. The TV cameras don't always pick up the influx of players leaving and returning to the field in between plays. When you're up in the stands at the game - it jumps out at you. Do you know what got them fresher legs as we erased a 28-3 deficit? Long sustained drives on the ground by the offense on a day Ben Tate would rush for 124 yards on 22 carries at 5.6 yards per carry (without any runs longer than 15 yards).

While I understand, there's different situations/packages for DBs and LBers - I never cozied up to sprinting our big guys on and off the field every other play. I can't imagine sprinting anyone with a 330-360 pound frame from the sideline to our own 2 yard line to face a double team involving Nick Mangold is as easy on the legs and oxygen as just remaining out there for the entire series/drive. Again, the film showed Danny Shelton excelled at staying on the field which seemed to be a big reason for the intrigue to draft him at #12 overall. He's a guy that gets better with the flow of the game just like a lot of players. A lot of times you'll see players that are tired get really sloppy with how high they come out of their stances/pad height. Asking the wide bodied DTs to do about a 30-40 yard wind sprint after they just sprinted off the field to hurry back into a 3 point stance (out of breath) to face a double team can lead to the mental fatigue conducive to sloppier pad heights. Much of this was unnecessary if they just opted to re-examine their substitution frequency/process IMO. I never noticed all the frequent mass substitutions up front helping us shed blockers easier, tackle better, or improve us at hurrying passers. I'm guessing neither did our opponents which partially explains why most of our opponents didn't want to no huddle us. Tiring out our big fellers with 2 wind sprints between 3 point stances was too helpful for them to turn down.

We never won any games by outsmarting our opponents in 2015 but we sure did outsmart ourselves a lot.

and that, from Mr. Flugels, is one of the best posts I'll ever read on the subject. Taking Shelton and co. on and off the field,

was really ignorant. I suppose they had some kind of reason to decide stupidly, but it didn't work, and I'm

still wondering how the )(*&^(*^ they thought it was ever a good idea.

Aggies, you should have added this to the end of your edit: "Trust me - don't trust me!" In college, Danny weighed more than he did here and stayed on the field as an every down defender a high percentage of the time. He was a pretty popular draft prospect in here months before we drafted him.

In Cleveland, the coaching staff preferred to see their big defensive linemen sprinting from the sideline to the 3 point stance prior to the snap not too long after they just had to sprint off the field. They were constantly taking their big guys on and off the field, which seems like an exact opposite to getting fresh legs and a full tank of O2. I noticed this before Shelton even arrived when we beat TN in Nashville in 2014. The TV cameras don't always pick up the influx of players leaving and returning to the field in between plays. When you're up in the stands at the game - it jumps out at you. Do you know what got them fresher legs as we erased a 28-3 deficit? Long sustained drives on the ground by the offense on a day Ben Tate would rush for 124 yards on 22 carries at 5.6 yards per carry (without any runs longer than 15 yards).

While I understand, there's different situations/packages for DBs and LBers - I never cozied up to sprinting our big guys on and off the field every other play. I can't imagine sprinting anyone with a 330-360 pound frame from the sideline to our own 2 yard line to face a double team involving Nick Mangold is as easy on the legs and oxygen as just remaining out there for the entire series/drive. Again, the film showed Danny Shelton excelled at staying on the field which seemed to be a big reason for the intrigue to draft him at #12 overall. He's a guy that gets better with the flow of the game just like a lot of players. A lot of times you'll see players that are tired get really sloppy with how high they come out of their stances/pad height. Asking the wide bodied DTs to do about a 30-40 yard wind sprint after they just sprinted off the field to hurry back into a 3 point stance (out of breath) to face a double team can lead to the mental fatigue conducive to sloppier pad heights. Much of this was unnecessary if they just opted to re-examine their substitution frequency/process IMO. I never noticed all the frequent mass substitutions up front helping us shed blockers easier, tackle better, or improve us at hurrying passers. I'm guessing neither did our opponents which partially explains why most of our opponents didn't want to no huddle us. Tiring out our big fellers with 2 wind sprints between 3 point stances was too helpful for them to turn down.

We never won any games by outsmarting our opponents in 2015 but we sure did outsmart ourselves a lot.

Well said Tom. I bolded a very key & important part of your statement.

Shelton played over 80% of his college team's defensive downs & something like 44% as a Brown.

I'm in the stands every game and, at the Ravens' game on Nov 30, I decided to keep track of something. In the 1st quarter, EVERY defensive down had 3 guys run off & 3 run on for the Browns. Those idiots we called coaches were gassing their OWN D linemen! I maintain that we don't yet know what we have in many of our players due to what I consider the most poorly coached Browns' Team in my memory & that's a LONG time.

I'm very anxious to see what happens this year with more set & cohesive units. We'll win more than 3 games simply by not helping our opponents with dumbass fundamental decisions.

Only time will tell, but I still believe Shelton will be a beast!

Ag, we're usually on the same page, but not where Danny is concerned..."Two Down" will soon change.

Mike

Still looks like a fat ass OL to me. Was nothing special last year. Over hyped. Hope he turns out, but I doubt it.

Take the prime of ur life...then multiply by 10. Then understand that he would still shit in your mouth as u lay unconscious......then urinate on all the other dirt napping family members of urs that were dumb enough to step in.

Basically I'm saying he would regulate ur family barbecue if y'all were some hill jack neighbors of his and couldn't stfu and let the grown man next door get some sleep

Until he proves you right he's still an out of shape OL to me. I'd be happy to personally rename him Every Down Danny if he indeed is able to stay out there all 4 quarters with minimal breathers on the sideline. Until he unearns it though I'm sticking with Two Down Danny, a personal insult he can use for inspiration to prove he's more than that.

Take the prime of ur life...then multiply by 10. Then understand that he would still shit in your mouth as u lay unconscious......then urinate on all the other dirt napping family members of urs that were dumb enough to step in.

Basically I'm saying he would regulate ur family barbecue if y'all were some hill jack neighbors of his and couldn't stfu and let the grown man next door get some sleep

Have a nice day sunshine!

I wonder if it will be setting a record - with how many of the Browns draft picks

make the active roster, and play during the regular season.

They drafted football players, not prima donna "only want the money" picks.

Every one of the Browns's picks means business about football. They love the game.

No, we can't. Especially when Phil was asked to play a different role in a different defense.

So Danny Shelton's rookie season was as good as Phil Taylor's? Oh wait the played in different systems so that is the rationalization for Danny's lack of effectiveness. Must be the system that screwed Gilbert.

So Danny Shelton's rookie season was as good as Phil Taylor's? Oh wait the played in different systems so that is the rationalization for Danny's lack of effectiveness. Must be the system that screwed Gilbert.

So not only do you clearly not comprehend the differences asked of Danny and Phil, you then attempt to equate that to CB.

Survey says......!! That's Retard.

edit: Take an interior player such as Aaron Donald, then have him play a 0-1 spot along a front now and watch his production drop like a rock. Must be because he sucks, huh? Coaching system and assingments clearly have no impact on player performance.

It's rare I call someone a dumbass, but you're treading in that water. I'm not by any means saying Danny had a great season, but I've yet to see ANYONE refute my point about a rookie being 'special' in that spot. So until someone does, pipe the fuck down.

So not only do you clearly not comprehend the differences asked of Danny and Phil, you then attempt to equate that to CB.

Survey says......!! That's Retard.

edit: Take an interior player such as Aaron Donald, then have him play a 0-1 spot along a front now and watch his production drop like a rock. Must be because he sucks, huh? Coaching system and assingments clearly have no impact on player performance.

It's rare I call someone a dumbass, but you're treading in that water. I'm not by any means saying Danny had a great season, but I've yet to see ANYONE refute my point about a rookie being 'special' in that spot. So until someone does, pipe the fuck down.

Oh god no don't call me a bad name. No one said Phil Taylor was a Hall of Fame inductee after his rookie season. For anyone who watched both rookie campaigns it was clear that Taylor played better than Shelton. Regardless of system, or numbers for that matter, Shelton underperformed last season for his draft position. That isn't to say his career is over but he didn't play well last year regardless of how much we wanted him to.

it was clear that Taylor played better than Shelton. Regardless of system, or numbers for that matter

Shelton underperformed last season for his draft position. That isn't to say his career is over but he didn't play well last year regardless of how much we wanted him to.

I'm not sure why I bother responding, because until you realize that the bolded in inherent contradiction then its rather pointless carrying on conversation.

In your eyes, Danny under performed for his draft position. In every casual Browns fans eyes I'm sure they did. I expected the kid to come in and be what he was... a big kid who needs some time but showed he does belong in this league, flashed moments of potential greatness and at times was the space eater that turned ball carriers right to the backers. Maybe have a sack or two if he was kept in on 3rd downs but that wasn't a given.

Again and for the last time, please - point to me a rookie nose that came in and was 'special' or every bit as dominant as you expected. I have a feeling you'll be going back a long, long time.

Archived