THE BROWNS BOARD

More White Privilege...... Seriously?

BrownsKidd

This writer, Stephanie Land, is stating white privilege is the reason that Chewbaca Mom is getting so much fame. Really, were turning this into a racial issue.

Granted, I understand her questionion of why so much is being given to this lady who made a video that went viral, and I think it's not fair for a University to give out scholarships to her entire family while other are paying for it, but this is not a racial issue. Please stop!

http://www.sheknows.com/living/articles/1123479/chewbacca-mom

In the last few weeks, the internet has split into two extremes of how it treats mothers who attain national attention. Candace Payne, otherwise known as Chewbacca Mom, now holds the distinction of having the most-watched Facebook video, with more than 3 million shares and counting, after she posted a video of herself wearing a Chewbacca mask and laughing uncontrollably. Payne's family has gone on to receive thousands in gifts. Mark Zuckerberg had her over to the Facebook headquarters for a private tour. Ellen DeGeneres had her on the show, as did James Corden and Good Morning America.

Internet fame is rewarded heavily, especially when a specific product is promoted, likeDamn, Daniel and his white Vans shoes. Recently Time reported that Payne's family has received almost half a million in gifts, swag, trips to Disney World and even scholarships for her entire family to attend Southeastern University in Florida.

More: Alcohol is never an excuse for sexual assault — period

SEU, a small, private Christian college, announced the gift on its website, noting that Payne has "taken the opportunity to share her Christian faith and her desire that the attention and fame she is receiving will be used to share God’s love with others." Timeestimated the scholarship to be worth about $400,000.

Meanwhile, in Cincinnati, more than 500,000 signatures were collected in support of having Child Protective Services and the local police department remove children from a mother's custody after her little boy slipped out of her grasp at a zoo.

The contrast plays into how America rewards, supports, glorifies and lifts up white mediocracy and vilifies people of color and people in poverty. Though it's wonderful that Payne's family, who had the means for her to be a stay-at-home mom, has half a million dollars less of financial stress, other mothers who received national attention, in obvious need of the same, have gotten very little or nothing at all.

In June of 2014, Debra Harrell, an African-American mother, was arrested, thrown in jail for 17 days and lost temporary custody of her 9-year-old daughter after leaving her at a nearby park with a cellphone. Harrell could not afford to pay for child care while she worked as a shift manager at McDonald's. Her daughter was home because of summer vacation, and Harrell let the girl sit in the restaurant with a laptop, but after that was stolen, she let her go to a nearby park where volunteers brought free lunch and snacks. A website raised funds for the family in the form of a college trust fund for the young girl, but at less than a tenth of what the Paynes received.

More: Brock Turner wouldn't be getting any sympathy if he looked different

Last July, another African-American mom was arrested for neglect when her children sat at a table alone while she sat nearby for a job interview. Laura Browder sat her children, aged 6 and 2, at a nearby table in a Houston Mall's food court while she interviewed for a job. Browder said she was 30 feet away from her children, and they were continuously in plain sight, but she was handcuffed immediately after she accepted the new job. A judge dropped the charges, chalking it up to a lapse in judgment. Child Protective Services said at the time that maybe they could help her find child care resources. Needless to say, no one has invited her to their corporate headquarters or handed out scholarships to her kids.

None of this is to say that the Payne family is undeserving. Payne herself has met each of these gifts with her characteristic excitement in enjoying the small things, even when they are really, really big.

But it still raises the question — as a country, why don't we show the same outpouring of support to the people who are in obvious need? Imagine Ellen having Debra or Laura on her show to offer them essentials like a vehicle, clothing, food or scholarships for day care? Why didn't Debra, a shift manager at McDonald's, also get money for college?

More: These Hillary and Bill Clinton photos will take you back -- way back

It's time we support and lift up the families who are in obvious need as much as we shower with gifts the ones who entertain us.

Shes got a point with chewbacca lady i mean wtf

Agreed, I don't understand the 15 minutes of fame awarded, and then all the gifts. In that regard, I understand the authors point. But it has absolutely nothing to do with white privilege... nothing.

It has nothing to do with race, it's because people found it funny, no matter how stupid it was.

The point remains, why do people embrace cat mediocrity so much in our society. They climb in a box and next thing you know you got 300 million views. Damn racist society.

It has nothing to do with race, it's because people found it funny, no matter how stupid it was.

The point remains, why do people embrace cat mediocrity so much in our society. They climb in a box and next thing you know you got 300 million views. Damn racist society.

Yes if u read what i wrote i acknowledged that the woman who correlated the two things was out of her mind.

My point about chewbacca mom, and yes all those stupid cat videos, is that white people gobble mediocrity like it was the antidote

I'm starting to think you might be the racist one.

rac·ism
noun
  1. the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Well than how else do you explain the kardasisns and all these housewives shows? I mean they're doing housewives of raqqa next year thsn what? Move on to mars? Or those nasty homemakers from mercury?

Im inundated every day with competing bullshit from black hip hop ngr life and unimaginably stupid white people life. Shenis Queers too cant forget they're everywhere now too. Nobody can just do what they do and stfu anymore. Imo its cause white people buy that shit up. So if u can make money making an ass of urself you'll do it right? And people in our stupid culture will applaud you for it.

Dont get me wrong though black people are hot on the heels of caucasians. Its a race for abject mediocrity

I'm starting to think you might be the racist one.

rac·ism

noun

•  

the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Yes, I've been posting that definition for years. Unfortunately for the lefties the term racist is so politically charged they just can't help themselves from using it improperly.

WSS

Whenever we do go to Subway... I always ask for Miracle Whip, knowing they don't have it.

Well, I use to always ask for root beer, knowing they didn't have it, at fast food restaurants..

but they got it in,...so...

I think I sprained my hand digging in the dirt and planting hundreds of tomato plants... still have 5 trays left...

taking a break this morning. Getting them in a week late.

Whenever we do go to Subway... I always ask for Miracle Whip, knowing they don't have it.

Well, I use to always ask for root beer, knowing they didn't have it, at fast food restaurants..

but they got it in,...so...

I think I sprained my hand digging in the dirt and planting hundreds of tomato plants... still have 5 trays left...

taking a break this morning. Getting them in a week late.

Miracle whip is disgusting.

Archived