THE BROWNS BOARD

Just want to fiddle around...with a borrowed fiddle

So, I have borrowed a close friend's brother's fiddle. How hard is it to learn?

So far, I see no frets...? don't know how to tune the strings, they are loose... But I think'

it would be cool to try.

They are tuned in 5ths. I could tell you standard is G D A & E but that would probably be pointless, so I'll try "So Re La Mi"... Awwwe fuckit. Have someone tune it for ya and have fun, just make noise till the noise sounds good :D

Generally 3-4 beers later B)

It's pretty cool, I made some noise with it.

doesn't sound like Alison Kraus and the Union Station though.

sounded like bearings that need greased. We'll see how it goes....

Well I bought one a few years ago. Hey, I said to myself, I'm a professional musician Kama I earn my living playing music I should be able at least figure out how to play a little song right? It's a pretty alien instrument and I'd be surprised if most people at our age could become respectable on it.

WSS

Back in the day I used to jam with these country backwards guys. One of them had a fiddle. Basically I just followed along with them and what they do. I drank a lot back then and really couldn't tell you if it sounded good or not. But I still remember the look one the fiddle players face when it was his break in the song. Funny shit.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Ghoolie ! I have had fun trying to figure out how to tune it, to no avail,

the cheater tape and digital tuner is the thing to do. Yet, it may have to wait,

I'm farming/gardening and don't have much time. I have books and magazines

I don't have time to read, and, well, there is other stuff goin on that's important.

Without the cheater tape, there is no frets which initially astounded me, I sometimes

have actually played a few notes here and there that sounds like the introduction fiddle

notes to songs I like, that kinda sound good...

The fiddle isn't easy. and my guitar,,, I think I gave myself a black eye trying to fiddle and play

guitar at the same time.

Okay, that was a funny thing I just made up, sorry. The truth is, most of the notes I play, sound

like a fiddle player playing really, really bad notes on purpose.

You all just wait til I can play "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" on the fiddle. I'll rock.

Archived