THE BROWNS BOARD

Bye to Edwards and Quinn? RUMOR

VaporTrail

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2009/0...-make-a-splash/

The Cleveland Browns have been engaging in talks to trade quarterback Brady Quinn and wide receiver Braylon Edwards, according to our own Michael Lombardi of the National Football Post.

Lombardi reports he is hearing from multiple league sources that the Browns have a first round pick on the table for Quinn, but may be looking for more. Two teams are currently interested in Quinn’s services.

In addition, Lombardi is hearing that the Browns have a first round pick on the table for wide receiver Braylon Edwards and will most likely trade him before the start of next season.

One other note: Lombardi is hearing the Browns are very interested in Texas Tech wide receiver Michael Crabtree.

I hope this is true. I'd love to see what we get in return.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I personally don't see him far and away the better QB than Derek Anderson. He could be... But I just haven't seen it. Obviously if we trade him away, that makes DA our guy this year. I just want more picks to shore up the holes elsewhere on the team, especially on defense.

We just dont know enough about Quinn. There is no clear upgrade in the draft to warrant trading him. Obviously if other teams consider him worth a 1st round pick he must have some kind of value to them, so why not to us?

If this happens, I really, really doubt that we'd use the draft picks to get Quinn's replacement. You guys have got to look on the other hand from Mangini's point of view. It appears to me that he does not think Quinn is a clear upgrade over DA. If we get some first round picks, I highly doubt any of em would be used on the QB position. If anything we'll trade down and use those picks to get a QB. There are other, more pressing needs, even if Quinn is gone.

I tend to think we'd have to get multiple picks out of Quinn. Considering he has some NFL experience and grades higher than Sanchez, I'd think we'd want a first and 2nd for him.

Same for Edwards. Considering where he was picked and what we know he is capable of.

IMO, trading Quinn would be dumb - we'll be set back at LEAST 2 years (this and next), maybe more, as we wait for a rookie QB to develop. There's not waiting with Quinn - you can put him out there this year and see if he has what it takes or not. If he doesn't have it, you were going to draft a QB next year anyway.

If Edwards gets traded, too and DA is our QB, we're REALLY screwed - DA will have NOONE who can catch his errant 10 foot high passes - he's already lost Winslow, who was pretty much the only guy who could handle being led into Ray-freaking Lewis to try and make a catch.

If Quinn and Edwards go, we have a VERY real shot at being 0-16 next year with DA at the helm. With no deep receiving threats and a QB who can't hit the ground from 10 yards in, the offense will continue to suck.

Oh well, at least we'll have our pick of the QB litter, even though none of them may want to play for franchise noted for jerking it's guys around.

I personally don't see him far and away the better QB than Derek Anderson. He could be... But I just haven't seen it. Obviously if we trade him away, that makes DA our guy this year. I just want more picks to shore up the holes elsewhere on the team, especially on defense.

But we don't know if he is or not, he has not had a chance to prove it one way or another, unless you are one of the idiots that think 3 games is enough. Course DA got like 8 times that many starts and people still want to give him more. (if we did not have Quinn on the bench, I would be somewhat ok with giving DA one more year, but we do have Quinn so I want to know weather he is a Porsche, or a Kia before we get rid of him.) If there were a true upgrade in the draft over Quinn then I would say sure lets roll.

If this happens, I really, really doubt that we'd use the draft picks to get Quinn's replacement. You guys have got to look on the other hand from Mangini's point of view. It appears to me that he does not think Quinn is a clear upgrade over DA. If we get some first round picks, I highly doubt any of em would be used on the QB position. If anything we'll trade down and use those picks to get a QB. There are other, more pressing needs, even if Quinn is gone.

The problem with your statement is that Mangini hasn't indicated anything at all as far as the QBs are concerned. It could very well be that Quinn is the only one drawing interest from teams. Mangini might think DA is much worse but can't be traded for anything of value. He may very well be thinking of getting his own QB, and Quinn is the only one he can get picks for. Or, your view may be right. None of us know because Mankok has yet to reveal anything. Its all speculation by us, by the media, by the experts.

There is another possibility that I didn't mention in my previous post - DA isn't the starter because Favre signs with us for 1 or 2 years.

I swear if Brett Favre is our QB next season, I'll root against CLE until he is gone. I can't stand the guy after the way he jerked GB around.

There is another possibility that I didn't mention in my previous post - DA isn't the starter because Favre signs with us for 1 or 2 years.

I swear if Brett Favre is our QB next season, I'll root against CLE until he is gone. I can't stand the guy after the way he jerked GB around.

Don't the Jets still hold the rights to Favre? I don't see him being here to play, if he even comes around the camp as has been reported.

Again no mention of DA in any rumor, no matter how mild the rumor is. There just isn't ANY demand for that guy, especially since we have the idea a 6th round/33rd NFL ranked QB is worth a day 1 pick. We're plain stuck with him. Sigh...

We may not know much about Quinn, but we know less about the QB's in the draft (since they have less years in college than Quinn have not been in the NFL at all).

I have to wonder why another team would give up a first round draft pick to us for a first round draft pick QB. I wonder even more why they'd give up a first and an additional pick.

Shenanigans. Just more Mangini cat-and-mouse.

BRETT FARVE is clearly the best QB if he's on our current roster

Again no mention of DA in any rumor, no matter how mild the rumor is. There just isn't ANY demand for that guy, especially since we have the idea a 6th round/33rd NFL ranked QB is worth a day 1 pick. We're plain stuck with him. Sigh...

We may not know much about Quinn, but we know less about the QB's in the draft (since they have less years in college than Quinn have not been in the NFL at all).

I have to wonder why another team would give up a first round draft pick to us for a first round draft pick QB. I wonder even more why they'd give up a first and an additional pick.

Shenanigans. Just more Mangini cat-and-mouse.

This is such flawed conclusion because you dont have any sort of information that you should draw this conclusion. You dont know if Mangini has told teams that DA is off limits or even what he has positioned himself one way or the other regarding either qb's.

You have NO idea about demand or information about either guy, how you can draw conclusions without any information is beyond me. Get over you BQ love and deal with reality.

This is such flawed conclusion because you dont have any sort of information that you should draw this conclusion. You dont know if Mangini has told teams that DA is off limits or even what he has positioned himself one way or the other regarding either qb's.

You have NO idea about demand or information about either guy, how you can draw conclusions without any information is beyond me. Get over you BQ love and deal with reality.

Isn't it Mankok that said everyone except JT and D'Qwell is tradeable? Pretty much sounds like the ONLY word out of the FO does make DA available, and still no rumors of anyone wanting him.

Quinn for another first, yey. one for one isnt too bad, but we all know that Quinn will haunt us till he retires. As for Edwards for a 1st, ney, there better be at least a 3rd thrown in there. As for DA we are just not going to get anything or him by trade. If we have 3 1st round picks we will 100% try and get out of the #5 hole to save some dough. Who really knows anyway wtf is going on, I will believe this shit when i see it. I have been a fan for a long time and i can remember only 1 season i felt good about this team.

Sorry I don't see Quinn going anywhere! And I don't see any real upgrades in the draft over him either.

Ugh. You remind me of that scene in Dumb & Dumber where Harry and Lloyd are arguing over whether or not you can triple stamp a double stamp. It just seems like 75% of the people here just close their eyes, plug their ears and say nyah nyah nyah i'm not listening, whenever they hear that Brady COULD be traded away.

Ugh. You remind me of that scene in Dumb & Dumber where Harry and Lloyd are arguing over whether or not you can triple stamp a double stamp. It just seems like 75% of the people here just close their eyes, plug their ears and say nyah nyah nyah i'm not listening, whenever they hear that Brady COULD be traded away.

Whatever, think what you like, I was merely saying what I think of all the rumors, don't like it tough sheit. Fact is I don't think Brady is going anywhere, not because I am a Brady homer (I am not, I am a Browns Homer) I just think that he won't be going anywhere.

Because I don't agree with you, you think you need to try and put me down, well you may want to try better then that lame attempt.

Meh, sorry, was uncalled for. Shouldn't have been directed at you. I'm still salty from all the Brady homers jumping on my ass for trying to bring up a debate over the two a few weeks ago.

The brady homers are still stinging from their annointed savior not playing well last year or starting with our crummy team. DA had all kinds of rumours and trade possibility for the last two years and now suddenly he sucks because quinn has trade rumours swirling. Makes perfect sense.

I dont care if either gets traded as long as the return value is good personally. ANYTHING helping the core of our problems... linebackers/safety/right side of the oline/fresh legs at running back or REAL quality consistent recievers is all I care about.

If BQ is slinging the ball AFTER we get hopefully some of those things addressed or DA or some other guy I really dont care.

Untill those things are addressed seriously either of those guys or some new guy is going to have issues. BRING ON THE DRAFT and makes some moves!!!!

If the Browns trade Brady it will not be because they think that DA is the answer it will be because the Browns don't think DA or BQ are the answer. They will draft Defense and build that way. Next season is when the Browns would draft a QB, much deeper QB draft. If DA starts and plays even ok then they can trade him nexy season because then hopefully he would have some value.

If you ask me (and you didn't) I think that the Browns are trying to build the team from the ground up. They seem to think that only a few pieces are in place and are willing to trade anybody that they do not feel is a piece of the puzzle. Obviously they are not desperate to trade BQ, but if the right trade comes along then they seem to be more than willing to trade him. Maybe they have thier eyes on a late round backup QB to be a backup and looking at a franchise QB next season.

And just because I do not think that the Browns are sold on BQ does not mean that they are sold on DA. I think if they could get value for DA they would trade him also. Seems to me that if the right situation comes along that the Browns do not feel either QB is the answer. But, if BQ is here then I do believe he will get his chance to start.

Either way I do not really see a great win loss season this year. I hope to see the defense improve and if the Browns do indeed get that many draft picks then I most certainly hope that the front office is good at talent evaluation. I am looking at 6 wins and hopefully being in most of the games. Draft a QB next season and shore up the offense. Use this year for the defense and a late round RB.

This is a bunch of bullshit. Every week or so one of you guys come out grouping the whole board together as a bunch of Queen Queers. Most of the main posters on here have pretty much unilaterally made their opinions known on the subject of DA and Quinn for well over a year. Most of us wanted DA moved last year and now look what we have. A 6'6 scattershot QB with no pocket presence or trade ability. Meanwhile, we've been sitting on a guy we spent a first and second round pick on who tore it up at ND the last time they were even competitive.

He's shown nothing but promise and kicked ass his first start out the gate before getting hurt. Unless they can get a major haul from trading Quinn it would be totally stupid to give him up for just a first rounder. At that point we're starting over again at QB and probably left watching the Doofus from Scapoosus again since he's worth a bag of stale chips now. Meanwhile, Leftwich just signed so backups are disappearing just like they did last year while the Browns sat around and ended up giving DA money and a job assuring Quinn he'd be holding a clipboard again.

To trade Quinn now and end with Dexter at QB when they could have had even more for DA last year than what they would get for Quinn is just rubbing salt in our wounds and punching us in the balls. I don't know how much more of it I could take.

There is absolutely no way Mancock has a clue as to what Quinn can do and nobody.....nobody knows whether or not they actually like him or not. I'm not sure they know whether they like him or not, nor should they know yet.

To put it bluntly, any guys like Sev and Lumtucky who still cling to DA are losers, plain and simple. Flat out losers.

I think we are stupid trading either one of them. Stars in the rising are not who you trade. Especially after Mangini drooled all over Earnest Gholston last year BUST). He was to be the Jets saviour at pass rushing... didn't even come close.. I'd rather keep our future stars.. than trade them for maybe's.. Gholston had Zero sacks and Zero starts for the Jets last year.

I think we are stupid trading either one of them. Stars in the rising are not who you trade. Especially after Mangini drooled all over Earnest Gholston last year BUST). He was to be the Jets saviour at pass rushing... didn't even come close.. I'd rather keep our future stars.. than trade them for maybe's.. Gholston had Zero sacks and Zero starts for the Jets last year.

Hopefully he learned that all great college DEs don't make great 3-4 OLBers. That's what scares me about Orakpo at #5. There's great value in DEs that project to OLB in 3-4 schemes at #36. If they would fail (like Wimbley) yu wouldn't be paying some backup $30 million, which is what Orakpo would be getting.

Quinn isn't going anywhere. I think Edwards is still a question.

I couldn't begin to explain how much comfort I get in knowing that none of you rumor mongers has any authority to make any decision of any kind on behalf of the Cleveland Browns.

Mangini and Kokinis are required to listen to all trade offers. Period. Just because they might be listening as expected, that doesn't mean anything.

First off, hello to all my fellow BROWNS fans, nice to see a place like this. I just wanted to add my thoughts on the trade rumors. I for one totally think the rumors are real, to a certain extent. I just don't think Quinn will start next year, *sigh* I sure hope I'm wrong though. I think Savage basically unintentionally ensured this when he gave DA his contract because he obviously expected much more from DA than he delivered. Do you really think Lerner wants to pay both of these guys that kind of money knowing one will be sitting on the bench? If Quinn plays 3/4 of the snaps he gets a huge payday and DA has for the most part already been paid. Since no one will even give a half eaten sandwich for DA, someone has to go to help fill greater needs and thats probably Quinn. On the chance that both stay, there is no way a fair QB competition happens. It will be DA's team, which will cause huge problems amongst fans and Quinn with whoever the face of the organization is. They just can't spend that kind of money on the QB position when they have this many needs. This has nothing to do with performance because DA would have lost his job on any team he played for except this one. Savage outsmarted himself and left the Browns with complicated situations to deal with, which will force the Browns to do things that they don't necessarily want to.

thats funny, 5 year old name calling tactics because I dont believe the hype that is BQ until he PROVES it.... I assure you Riffer you calling me a loser is going to hurt my self esteem and question my reasoning capability... lmao.

Anyways if you bothered to READ my last post, I stated I dont care which one of the guys is traded/not traded/starts this next year. I really dont because again it is a TEAM game with HUNDREDS of personnel dedicated to each game.

What I do think is funny is the spector of a possible trade of BQ only validates a projection from 2 different coaching groups that BQ really is not a NFL level qb they want to use. IF that is reality we will know, if that projection is correct or not can only be proved by play. I suspect DA is nowhere near as bad as some on this board like to illustrate and BQ is nowhere near as good either. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. The problem is our team is so flawed that we really cant get a gauge on what is reality what is just a result of bad coachin/players etc.

Hopefully with the new management and coaching teams we will get somewhere where we can actually see what our problems really are.

Quinn started in 3 games with an already battered and broken team and a pathetic and obvious gameplan that was centered around running the ball and only a few snaps with the first team before playing on a 3 day notice and being that DA was in his second year with the same guys i would and do consider quinn an upgrade straight from the bench to DA...

The way i see it mangini can do what he will but he better pray that the guy he replaces quinn with turns out better then bq and DA is not even a legit option to start this year...unless daboll has somehow seriously coached him up both physically and mentally...because the home crowd will be his biggest opponent in 8 games..

DA is a gunslinger with rotten luck and thats not good he lacks that good charisma that a gunslinger lives by..

Vernon.

The NY media seemed to agree that Gholston was taken against the advice of Mangini, not because of it. This might end up reflecting poorly on mangini, if he sat Gholston for a year and he turns out to be a very good player. But I dont think you can blame him for drafting him.

thats funny, 5 year old name calling tactics because I dont believe the hype that is BQ until he PROVES it.... I assure you Riffer you calling me a loser is going to hurt my self esteem and question my reasoning capability... lmao.

Anyways if you bothered to READ my last post, I stated I dont care which one of the guys is traded/not traded/starts this next year. I really dont because again it is a TEAM game with HUNDREDS of personnel dedicated to each game.

What I do think is funny is the spector of a possible trade of BQ only validates a projection from 2 different coaching groups that BQ really is not a NFL level qb they want to use. IF that is reality we will know, if that projection is correct or not can only be proved by play. I suspect DA is nowhere near as bad as some on this board like to illustrate and BQ is nowhere near as good either. The truth probably lies somewhere in between. The problem is our team is so flawed that we really cant get a gauge on what is reality what is just a result of bad coachin/players etc.

Hopefully with the new management and coaching teams we will get somewhere where we can actually see what our problems really are.

Oh quit the crying already about "name calling." The point is, backing a loser

QB like DA and continuing to root against Quinn cuz you hate ND makes you a loser in this sense, that's all there is to it.

We all know what Lums is, but you've taken your hatred for all things ND and Quinn and literally have used that as a pretense that DA is really better than the worst ranked passer in the league.

You and Lumfreddy share a couple of things in common, one being you both despise Brady the Fag and two you both don't know a shitty QB when you see one.......or refuse to acknowledge it.

Oh quit the crying already about "name calling." The point is, backing a loser

QB like DA and continuing to root against Quinn cuz you hate ND makes you a loser in this sense, that's all there is to it.

We all know what Lums is, but you've taken your hatred for all things ND and Quinn and literally have used that as a pretense that DA is really better than the worst ranked passer in the league.

You and Lumfreddy share a couple of things in common, one being you both despise Brady the Fag and two you both don't know a shitty QB when you see one.......or refuse to acknowledge it.

yes the tears are flowing..... lol.

One I am not backing anyone specific just whoever is the starting qb. I dont care about who is on the sideline only who is playing.

two I see this as a TEAM game with hundreds of personnel, so forgive if I dont think QB play is black and white.

Three My Hatred for ND is limited to COLLEGE PLAY because the NFL is a hodgepodge of players from everywhere and I dont care where they come from (Michigan included) once they play for the Browns.

For the record I have ALWAYS thought Weis was VASTLY overrated and well he has now proven that HE IS. So his "expert" opinion and "NFL system" was all just media garbage not one that was based in reality. For all the proof I need is to see the destruction of a once proud college program.

THE ONLY reason he is still at ND is that STUPID contract they resigned him to, otherwise he would have been booted last year.

I think Quinn is a gamer, I just dont think he is the second coming of Joe Montana as some of his fans seem to think he is. I think he was over hyped but that he does have talent.

The problem is NO ONE REALLY KNOWS yet how he will be in the NFL because the sample size is too small and his injury gives him plausible credibility that the other 2 games were affected.

Honestly I dont think his injury affected his stats that much because the gameplan was adjusted against his dump off and short quick pass prone ways. Thats just an opinion but the other two games defensive backs were playing tight and bump and run ruining his normal rythem forcing him to look mid to deep. \

IF he is traded away hopefully he will get his shot elsewhere, if not I suspect he has about a 60% chance of starting here next season.

I dont think DA is flawless, I just happen to think he is not as bad as some BQ backers try to illustrate, they cant say BQ is better in the NFL untils he actually plays more to prove it.

Archived