THE BROWNS BOARD

Quinn not happy about trade rumors

Guest Aloysius

Guest Aloysius
More trade talk involving Cleveland Browns

by Tony Grossi/Plain Dealer Reporter

Tuesday April 14, 2009, 3:21 PM

Updated at 3:48 p.m.

CLEVELAND -- Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports catches up to the Braylon Edwards-to-the-Giants trade rumor.

We reported at NFL owners meetings last month that Browns GM George Kokinis confirmed he talked about an Edwards trade with Giants GM Jerry Reese in February. Kokinis would not rule out revisiting trade talks with the Giants.

Former teammate Kellen Winslow has said that Edwards would love to be dealt to the Giants.

Conversely, Brady Quinn is said to be "disappointed" about rumors that he, too, could be traded.

Team officials have repeatedly denied to Quinn that a trade is a possibility, according to a source who has recently spoken with Quinn. But Quinn feels that there must be something to the persistent rumors and he is not happy that team officials have not leveled with him, said the source.

I can see the organization not tippingtheir hand about the draft but they sure as hell should be communicating with him. If they are telling him "no" and trade him or even field offers then he should be pissed because there's a loss of credibility then.

Unlike most players bq is a browns fan...its his dream to play for the browns so yeah he would be disappointed he has been nothing but jerked around by the browns since he got here so i expect he will ask for a trade which is exactly what mangini wants...but i can already assume mankoks not going to be around as long as bq has been with the browns...im starting to think mangini is a real jerk and not a very talented one at that...

Unlike most players bq is a browns fan...its his dream to play for the browns so yeah he would be disappointed he has been nothing but jerked around by the browns since he got here so i expect he will ask for a trade which is exactly what mangini wants...but i can already assume mankoks not going to be around as long as bq has been with the browns...im starting to think mangini is a real jerk and not a very talented one at that...

What you want to bet that IF BQ ever ends up with a different team, this year or some year down the line, he'll say he's always wanted or hoped he's end up there, and that if he does there'll be message board posters saying Quinn always wanted to play there?

Why shouldn't he be?

If anyone of us had NFL talent, and our boyhood team moved up in the draft to take us, only to be traded after not even being given a chance? I'd be a little more than "dissappointed".

Brady gets it though. He'll be fine. He grew up with tough parents who took no excuses, followed by the pressure of being the ND QB and Weis' New Jersey approach.

The first home game when Quinn is announced as the QB and the crowd goes bonkers, it'll all be forgotten.

Just a few weeks ago there was a direct quote from Quinn that said trade talk is all part of the NFL....But now Grossi is trying to sell everyone that "He's diappointed".....I wouldn't believe a word that comes out of Grossi's mouth.

Mangini said today to the media that he expects both Anderson and Quinn to be in Cleveland competing for the starting QB job when camp opens.

Let's see how Mary Kay Grossi spins that.

I would be a bit worried if he was not a little unhappy, but there is a difference between unhappy and disgruntled.

Would anyone here not be worried if he was happy about the rumors?

I would be a bit worried if he was not a little unhappy, but there is a difference between unhappy and disgruntled.

Would anyone here not be worried if he was happy about the rumors?

I guess I wouldn't expect him to be happy....But at the same time I would expect him to have a professional attitude about it. Meaning, "where ever I go I'll give all I have."

This may seem like a minor point but the fact that he is single and wouldn't have to uproot a family to move to another city makes it that much easier for him to make any needed adjustment. I just can't see him being too upset over it.

Late to the party here as usual....but I think you all are reading too much into that comment and the way it was written.

I read it this way.

"Brady Quinn says he is disapointed in all the trade rumors"

That's not saying he's disapointed that the Browns are trying to trade him. I read him as saying he's disapointed that all these trade rumors are being perpetrated by the media when they just arent true.

And ofcourse the media wouldn't interpret his comment that way, because that would mean he's disapointed in the shody journalism they are practicing these days.

Its not even journalism anymore. All they are practicing these days is creative writing.

well that and blatant plagersim.

how many stories have you seen so far by Mary kay or someone else, quoting Lombardi? who is just another writer writing about the rumors he has heard...

Yep...that would require they create their own work, and why do that when you can get paid to just reprint someone else's? I love how they aren't getting anything from ManKok and its pissing them off. lol

Late to the party here as usual....but I think you all are reading too much into that comment and the way it was written.

I read it this way.

"Brady Quinn says he is disapointed in all the trade rumors"

That's not saying he's disapointed that the Browns are trying to trade him. I read him as saying he's disapointed that all these trade rumors are being perpetrated by the media when they just arent true.

And ofcourse the media wouldn't interpret his comment that way, because that would mean he's disapointed in the shody journalism they are practicing these days.

Read the entire article....That is not at all what Grossi meant or what is being portrayed acoording to Grossi himself. You have to click on the link and read it all.....It's not about Quinn being disappointed in the journalism. Again, that is according to Grossi.

The article said Quinn is disappointed that the front office is not being up front with him.....So that means it's not his view of the media.

They're trying to keep up with bloggers and on-line media.

Newspapers are dying, or at minimum moving to a greatly reduced role in our society, and this is the kind of stuff the old-line print media is doing to get some attention. 10 years from now, bloggers and on-line print media types will be nearly indistinguishable.

That and it's off season, so there's not much else for football fans to talk about.

I read the entire article and many other articles. And I've yet to read one actual quote from Brady saying anything like that. Again, I think you're missing the point that a lot of these things these writers write is thier interpretation of something they heard from someone else about what someone said.

No I'm not missing the point.....Your exact quote was that we were misunderstanding what the article was saying....As though Quinn's disppointment in the rumors were actually his disappointment in the media.....But the very next line in the article completely dispells your theory by saying he is disappointed with the front office!! lol!! How can that be missing the point?!!

I was replying directly to you post and directly to what you wrote. There was no "Point" to misunderstand.

That would be an abomination in my heart, that's how much I bleed for the Browns, and while he knows it's a business on some level Brady does feel that way.

Oh did you hear him say that when you were hiding out in his backyard bushes?

You actually think he's disappointed because he loves Cleveland so much?

You don't know jack shit about what he thinks.

But if you want a little insight about what's probably happening, see: Cutler, Jay; 2009.

And by all indications, including the holdout, for BQ it's about the $$$, and that 11 million dollar incentive bonus that he can't get until somebody names him a starter.

At this point, BQ could be relishing in the fact that teams are bidding for him. If I was him and wanted to play, the prospect of other teams wanting me to play for them would make me feel pretty good. I can understand how he might feel with an uncertain future, but at least he has a future, and that is what I would be leaning on if I was BQ.

Put it this way: Quinn's gonna start next year. Somewhere. Nobody's gonna trade a first round pick to sit him. And the Browns won't turn down a first round pick unless they plan to start him.

The disappointment is that he wants to be the starter for the Browns, which for us fans is very cool. As Pluto wrote today, the biggest part of the fan fascination with Quinn is that he's, well... Brady Quinn... and he hasn't been given a chance. He's an unknown with reason for hope. That fascination is only stoked by news that at least one team has a first round pick on the table.

If the Browns trade Quinn and don't draft Sanchez, expect it to be a very, VERY unpopular trade.

I can understand your points. Yes he is a first rounder. Was the whole BQ and DA thing handled correctly from day 1, starting with the drafting of BQ and then the contract ext of DA, no. Something fell through that the Browns, IMO, were wanting to happen.

Being a fan, I don't have equity invested in BQ, so I'm not heart broken if the guy gets traded. Yes, a first round pick should have chance in our circumstances. But I am not 100% positive that BQ was ever supposed to start for the Browns. I honestly think the BQ was trade bait and something fell through and we never learned of it.

I however will be mad as hell if BQ gets traded and wins a Super Bowl, or even DA. I'm just tired of Cleveland sports being the proving grounds for other teams. Evaluate our talent effectively PLEASE.

It'll be very unpopular is Quinn is traded at all.

I've said it before, it'll be the first time in history a team has drafted a QB first round and never given him a chance (other than Elway and Eli type of situations).

If Quinn isn't worth trying, than why would a team give up a first and another pick for him. And if they are willing to, why wouldn't we keep him and try him ourselves?

Still a 90% chance this is all Mangini blowing smoke and its working reeeeeeeeeeeeeally well.

Keep it up Mangini. Nobody knows if you like Anderson, Quinn, Sanchez, or some other guy.

It's perfect. You have the pre-draft world right where you want them, guessing their asses off. Well played.

I've said it before, it'll be the first time in history a team has drafted a QB first round and never given him a chance (other than Elway and Eli type of situations).

If Quinn isn't worth trying, than why would a team give up a first and another pick for him. And if they are willing to, why wouldn't we keep him and try him ourselves?

Still a 90% chance this is all Mangini blowing smoke and its working reeeeeeeeeeeeeally well.

Keep it up Mangini. Nobody knows if you like Anderson, Quinn, Sanchez, or some other guy.

It's perfect. You have the pre-draft world right where you want them, guessing their asses off. Well played.

That's exactly what I see out of all of this. I give very little credence to what Grossi (or anyone in the PD other than Pluto) writes. Grossi has such a grudge with Mangini it's ridiculous. It just seems to me that when dealing with the draft, you make everyone believe youre going to do the opposite of what youre actually doing. Savage did it two years ago. One day we were drafting Peterson, the next we were drafting Quinn. The guy you barely heard about was Thomas. So who did we draft? Thomas. And I remember him saying he made that decision way before draft day. I'll admit it if I'm wrong, but I think Quinn stays and this is all a ploy to make teams think we like DA as a starter.

Not disagreeing with you here, but to offset it a little, the ManKok team didn't give up those picks, and thus has nothing at all invested in Quinn. Gotta stop thinking about what Savage gave up to get him, because he's gone now and it really doesn't apply to the current regime.

...the ManKok team didn't give up those picks, and thus has nothing at all invested in Quinn...

True it's a little different, but still odd if the Browns as an organization never even give him a chance, no matter who is at the helm.

I'm just think it is high risk to think one draft can replace or upgrade Quinn, Winslow, and Braylon. Here's hoping we don't start the season without all of them.

Archived