THE BROWNS BOARD

Grossi: Browns Will Not Take Crabtree

EERSandBROWNS

CLEVELAND -- The Browns have all but crossed off Michael Crabtree as a candidate for the No. 5 overall pick, said a source.

The Texas Tech receiver brought a diva attitude on his visit to the club facility last week and did not impress coach Eric Mangini and others, the source said. In fact, Crabtree was described by some in the building as "not nice." After Crabtree left, Mangini secured last-minute workouts with borderline first-round receivers Hakeem Nicks of North Carolina, Kenny Britt of Rutgers and Mohamed Massaquoi of Georgia.

* No, Derek Anderson did not have surgery on his left knee in the offseason. So why wouldn't Browns GM George Kokinis just admit it in his pre-draft press conference this week? It's a mandate from Mangini to not even acknowledge questions about surgeries. Mangini jumped all over Kokinis when Kokinis let it slip in an interview prior to the NFL combine in February that running back Jamal Lewis had routine arthroscopic surgery to "clean up" an ankle. Mangini does not even intend to speak the letters MRI if a player, in fact, has had the routine exam.

* Crabtree might not even be the first receiver taken in the draft. Seattle (fourth) and Cincinnati (sixth) are expected to fill greater needs on the offensive line. Oakland (seventh) is enamored with the speed of Missouri's Jeremy Maclin. Jacksonville (eighth) has been burned so many times by first-round receivers, they are gunshy to take another. It's quite possible that Alabama tackle Andre Smith, who turned off so many coaches at the NFL combine, will be taken ahead of Crabtree.

* Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji is back on the rise after reports of a positive drug test proved false. He's very much in the mix with the Browns at No. 5. Drafting Raji might result in more four-man fronts for the Browns. Also, Shaun Rogers would move to right end in the base 3-4 front. If the Browns pass him up, Raji is not expected to get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or Green Bay, for sure, at No. 9.

* New Orleans sees Ohio State's Malcolm Jenkins as a free safety and is expected to take him at No. 14.

* The first USC linebacker will go to Houston at No. 15. But which one? Either Brian Cushing or Clay Matthews, but not Rey Maualuga.

Click Here For Link

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To me the scenario is starting to get a little clearer. For the second I'm just going to say that BQ stays and BE goes to the NYG for the 29 pick (among others.) It seems like that is the most likely thing to happen as of right now.

That gives us 5, 29, 36, and 50 on day 1.

The more I think about it I think Raji or Tyson Jackson is the pick at 5. Of course, if Curry is there he is the pick. Either way, we would take the highest rated Front 7 player on our board at #5.

Then at 29 and 36 you have 2 options. You can go WR at 29 to make sure you get Britt or Nicks. Or you can go OLB at 29 and get your pick of the litter out of Barwin, Sintim, English, etc. at.

Or...you could wait until 36 and hope that Nicks or Britt falls and likewise with the OLB slot.

Then at 50...well, I'm not really sure. You could go CB, S, C, RB....that's why I want as many 2nd's as possible.

Here's another scenario on the BE trade....would anyone rather have the Giants 2 2nd rounders as opposed to a 1 and 3? I had been thinking about that recently and it really makes a lot of sense. The 1 is basically a 2 and the 3 is basically a 4...so do you give up the 1 and take both 2nds? I think I would at least strongly consider it.

To me the scenario is starting to get a little clearer. For the second I'm just going to say that BQ stays and BE goes to the NYG for the 29 pick (among others.) It seems like that is the most likely thing to happen as of right now.

That gives us 5, 29, 36, and 50 on day 1.

The more I think about it I think Raji or Tyson Jackson is the pick at 5. Of course, if Curry is there he is the pick. Either way, we would take the highest rated Front 7 player on our board at #5.

Then at 29 and 36 you have 2 options. You can go WR at 29 to make sure you get Britt or Nicks. Or you can go OLB at 29 and get your pick of the litter out of Barwin, Sintim, English, etc. at.

Or...you could wait until 36 and hope that Nicks or Britt falls and likewise with the OLB slot.

Then at 50...well, I'm not really sure. You could go CB, S, C, RB....that's why I want as many 2nd's as possible.

Here's another scenario on the BE trade....would anyone rather have the Giants 2 2nd rounders as opposed to a 1 and 3? I had been thinking about that recently and it really makes a lot of sense. The 1 is basically a 2 and the 3 is basically a 4...so do you give up the 1 and take both 2nds? I think I would at least strongly consider it.

Great points all the way around.

I think the 1 and 3 vs. 2 and 2 is an interesting question.

I have a feeling this trade will or will not happen when the Giants hit the clock. If a guy the Browns want is there at 29 then I think the deal gets done. If one or two guys the Browns want at 29 are gone, I think they keep Edwards.....But the 2 second round picks is very interesting. There will be a lot of talented players there in the second round.

4 second round picks? I love the sound of that!

Guest Aloysius
The more I think about it I think Raji or Tyson Jackson is the pick at 5.

The problem with those guys is that Raji doesn't have the character of a top 5 pick and Jackson doesn't consistently play like one.

The problem with those guys is that Raji doesn't have the character of a top 5 pick and Jackson doesn't consistently play like one.

Can't argue with that. I think Curry is obviously the pick if he is there. But, if he's not I think it might be between Raji and Jackson.

Did Jackson end up benching on his pro day? He didn't at the combine. No biggie. Just wondering what he did.

This from Gil Brandt reporting on LSU's pro day...he did 20 presses of 225.

One of the hottest prospects from LSU, DE Tyson Jackson (6-4 1/8, 296 pounds), did 20 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press and participated in position drills, but otherwise stood on his times from the NFL combine.

Guest Aloysius
Did Jackson end up benching on his pro day? He didn't at the combine. No biggie. Just wondering what he did.

Only put up 20 reps at his pro day. He has very long arms, but that's still disappointing.

And though Jackson mentioned at his Combine presser that he he could play in any scheme, he also said that he's more comfortable playing LDE in a 4-3 defense.

I don't get the last minute love for this guy. There are three or four guys coming out next year who'll be better 3-4 ends.

Isnt the story of this year's draft that there arent any top 5 picks? With Stafford, Curry, and the top LT off the board, what top 5 pick do you see? The DE that might be too stiff to play 3-4 OLB? The WR with an attitude and no workouts? I dont know, Alo, who is the safe pick at 5? Who deserves the high draft position?

Raji has the talent to earn the spot, and he would be a huge weapon in our defense. Rogers, Raji, and Williams would allow us to run 4 man or 3 man fronts very effectively. Bringing in kiwanuka would increase our flexibility even more. Wimbley would get a chance to put his hand on the ground more frequently, etc. Adding Raji and Kiwanuka would make our defensive from 7 the strength of the team. Draft an O-lineman or two and we'll look like a real AFC North team overnight.

Raji has the talent to earn the spot, and he would be a huge weapon in our defense. Rogers, Raji, and Williams would allow us to run 4 man or 3 man fronts very effectively. Bringing in kiwanuka would increase our flexibility even more. Wimbley would get a chance to put his hand on the ground more frequently, etc. Adding Raji and Kiwanuka would make our defensive from 7 the strength of the team. Draft an O-lineman or two and we'll look like a real AFC North team overnight.

I wasn't even thinking of the Kiwanuka angle...Wow...Rogers, Raji and Kiwanuka side by side?

Guest Aloysius
Isnt the story of this year's draft that there arent any top 5 picks? With Stafford, Curry, and the top LT off the board, what top 5 pick do you see? The DE that might be too stiff to play 3-4 OLB? The WR with an attitude and no workouts? I dont know, Alo, who is the safe pick at 5? Who deserves the high draft position?

You're right. If Curry's not available at #5, the Browns will have to decide which guy's issues are the least disconcerting. For me, that's Orakpo. But the guys at theOBR are hearing that he's not a real option at #5. I hope they're wrong.

As for Raji, I actually think he'd be a more appealing option if we were running a 4-3 defense. I agree with the points made in this report from Raji's pro day:

Defensive lineman BJ Raji is flying up draft boards. Raji just did position drills and looked fantastic, as he did at the combine. There are a number of scouts who now think using Raji as a two-gap lineman on the nose or at end is wasting his talent. A number of people we spoke with feel he has the athleticism and movement skills necessary to play a three-technique position which would allow him to make more plays on the ball. Several people, including John Dorsey of the Green Bay Packers, left the workout today thinking Raji had solidified himself as a top five pick, barring any red flags for off the field issues.

When you watch Raji play, his quickness off the snap and his ability to penetrate upfield are the most impressive aspects of his game. If you ask him to play two gap, you may not get the same type of dominating player. At the very least, there'll likely be an initial reprogramming period in which he struggles to anchor our defense. IIRC, Vince Wilfork went through a similar process in New England, and he was more of a power player in college.

So we'd be replacing Rogers at the nose with a guy who, at least initially, won't be as good as him. And we'd be moving Rogers to a position he'll be less of a good fit for and won't be at all effective at if he gains any weight (he'd probably have to shed some weight, which he won't be happy about).

It's just a little too messy for me. I'm afraid we'd be left with an incredibly expensive d-line composed of a bunch of redundant and/or ineffective players. Kind of a bizarro Patriot Way.

:When you watch Raji play, his quickness off the snap and his ability to penetrate upfield are the most impressive aspects of his play.

But this is what makes me wonder if he could play a rush end guy. Getting off the ball with that first step is so important. Whether you are going inside or out.

That's what made Orakpo so good....Of course once Orakpo gets passed the OT he is so much quicker to the QB than what Raji would be.

Guest Aloysius

While Raji's very quick for a guy his size, he's also got short arms and doesn't move well laterally. That makes it tough to project him to 3-4 DE.

* Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji is back on the rise after reports of a positive drug test proved false. He's very much in the mix with the Browns at No. 5. Drafting Raji might result in more four-man fronts for the Browns. Also, Shaun Rogers would move to right end in the base 3-4 front. If the Browns pass him up, Raji is not expected to get past Jacksonville at No. 8 or Green Bay, for sure, at No. 9.

still sounds good to me. and Shaun Rogers belongs at DE-he's too disruptive at the nose. having him play at the end position allows for more flexibility.

don't forget about Robaire Smith Tupa, he may still be our best 3-4 D-Lineman after Rogers.

Shaun Smith makes for a better plug at nose and Raji behind him keeps us ridiculously fresh in the rotation. a line consisting of Williams, Smith at NT, Robaire, and Rogers would redefine the damn game.

i don't know how anyone could stop them if they lined up unbalanced like that.

disruption to the opponent is good. disruption to your own defensive effort is not. as he "got skinny" it's more of benefit at the End position than for your nucleus to constantly check out and scope out the other teams backfield. it needs to be a constant the other players can depend on. push is good, vacancy is not.

the number of downs converted last year by opponents who anticipated his effort and their O-line simply gave way proved this last year, don't you think? while his penetration looked impressive it was often by design.

Macklin may be the choice.....guy is a playmaker. Orakpo back in the hunt...don't see raji a brown...it might very well be sanchez if they don't want crabtree.....hell for the money we are gonna spend....might as well be a playmaker on O...jmo

Macklin may be the choice.....guy is a playmaker. Orakpo back in the hunt...don't see raji a brown...it might very well be sanchez if they don't want crabtree.....hell for the money we are gonna spend....might as well be a playmaker on O...jmo

i've been thinking that maclin is guy too. there have been no bad reports about him on or off the field and he has the tools for the nfl. if we traded braylon to ny, we should definitely take him

What funny is that this FO and Staff has everybody guessing and nobody really has a clue...................

That's a sign that we may have a group that really knows how to treat this process.

In any case I believe they have done their homework and whoever they pick or whatever trade they make will be well thought out and agreed upon by all.

Personally, I don't have a clue because every person in that top group has been dissed for something. I hope they have some teams interested in trading if Sanchez falls to them or they have a trade in place if they decide to take Sanchez.

Is there such a thing in the 3-4?

I don't know why anyone thinks Rogers can play DE....

They would run sweeps and pitches to his side alllllllllllllll day.

Archived