THE BROWNS BOARD

Grossi: Browns Will Not Take Crabtree

EERSandBROWNS

Guest Aloysius
CRABTREE DISS OF RAIDERS DISAPPEARS FROM NFL.COM CHAT

Posted by Mike Florio on April 23, 2009, 8:43 p.m.

Receiver Michael Crabtree, who is already sounding at times like a guy who at some point will be publicly thanking his hands or doing sit ups in his driveway or nudging traffic cops with a car bumper or all of the above, made another ill-advised comment on Thursday.

The remark came during a live chat on NFL.com. According to RaiderBeat.com, Crabtree had this to say when asked about whether he wants to play for the Raiders (and, apparently, about whether he’s cocky): “I’m not cocky at all,” Crabtree said. “People talk, man, but I’m a cool guy. As for playing for the Raiders, no comment.”

Hmmmmm.

But the odd thing about this one is that the live chat currently contains no such “no comment” comment. But it does, however, contain a subsequent reference to the exchange.

Q: “Why did you say no commit [sic] to playing for the raiders? Does that mean you wouldn’t like to be a raider[?]”

A: “No, I’d like to play for whoever picks me.”

Yeah, right.

We’re starting to get the feeling that, come Saturday, this guy will be sliding like Aaron Rodgers stretching a single into a double on a baseball diamond made of freshly Zambonied ice.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That last reference was classic.

I can see it now.....Kiper will be going nuts...Crabtree isn't picked by #15 and he'll babble on and on about it.

If Maclin sees any of this stuff I'm sure he just smiles. Crabtree is making him richer with every word that comes out of his mouth.

Guest Masters
Well, Ytown's point was about the specific type of two gap 3-4 that we run, which is distinct from the Phillips and LeBeau versions of the 3-4. One of the Steelers' reporters at Scout.com wrote a good piece a while back about how the Steelers' brand of 3-4 allows them to draft d-linemen later. I'll try to dig it up (EDIT: Posted the article here).

Also, you're right about these guys not coming around often, but that's the whole point. According to Bill Parcells' "Planet Theory", guys who are both huge & freakishly athletic are so rare that you have to take one if he's available. There may not be a guy who fits the bill in this year's draft, but Mangini wouldn't simply pass on one because the guy would play 3-4 DE.

I'd again agree with you. I just don't see that "planet theory" guy in this draft.

Personally, I wasn't impressed with Crabtree's interviews. He is not a Rhodes Scholar, but he is a football player and probably no more a diva then Edwards.

he may not be more diva but he's a billion times more thug.

I think about this. What is the organization plan and where does the team need to be at this time next year with needs? I don't want to have to go into the draft next year with needs at OLB, WR, SS, RB and Center.

i feel pretty good about what they accomplished per your list on day one. just looking to see how you felt too, YTown. :)

time will tell on the rooks and Elam should compete at safety (didn't they try to get him from the Jets before but they matched the Browns offer, i can't remember now).

which leaves RB and you know how i feel about Jamal the stud. they'll likely bring in a couple of those to compete as well. so far so good?

**edit** saw your approval in another thread. good enough.

This posting began with the following statements that Crabtree was interested in the Browns but the Browns were not interested in him. I think the Browns would like to select him, and I think Sanchez is their fallback option. So in refernce to the first statement, were you a Browns GM would you put out statements about how in love you are with him (if indeed you were)? You can't trust anything out of the front office from any team at this time of year.

whatcha gotta say now?

But CLE just tried this approach, and most on here pointed out last year you can't run a 3-4 with 2 guys above 320~330 sitting on the line. It doesn't work.

it might if you had some decent Backers behind them.

sorry so late on the reply, it's the best i can do.

Guest Masters
it might if you had some decent Backers behind them.

sorry so late on the reply, it's the best i can do.

It would be the first 3-4 loaded with huge guys like that on the line to be successful. I don't even think there would be gaps for LB to shoot with guys that huge. Guess it doesn't matter now.

Archived