THE BROWNS BOARD

Anybody else think nassib might be a better fit replacing kruger?

Clevfan4life

Than ogbah? Just my initial impressions and i coyld very well be wrong, but og looks stiff and undynamic. Nassib looks as quick if not quicker than kruger and looks better going around the corner than both kruger and ogbah. If he can learn to keep his pads down better so he doesnt lose his leverage, he's going to be a nasty outside rusher in the nfl withhis long arms

I think is going to be Horton's wild card. Not quite ready to hold down a starting DE spot, he will be used ... a lot .. as a situational player. Oggie will start at outside LB across from Orchard.

I'm excited about all of these young pass rushers in this system.

Zombo

I am hoping that all of these OLB AND DEs will be interchangeable:

That they will all have great pass rushing skills.

That they will all have great run defending skills.

That they will all have competent coverage skills.

No, sorry. That is not what I hope.....that is what I expect....even demand.

Ogbah did look pretty damn stiff, I won't lie. His straight line speed seemed extremely impressive, but he definitely looked pretty rigid to me. We REALLY need one of our young defenders to just "pop" this year and become a playmaker. You know, someone you watch and he just pops out as somebody you ask, "Who the hell is THAT?" Heck, we probably need several guys like this in order to become a decent defense. Ogbah is probably better, or at least, as GOOD AS Kruger right now. Hell, Kruger hardly did anything last year, and I'm pretty sure Ogbah will have more tackles and sacks than Paul.

I dont think ogbah gets a single unassisted real time sack this year. He might get a clean up sack or orchard forces the qb into him. But i dont think will beat a tackle and get to the qb in real time once. Maybe a qb holds the ball for 10 seconds and one of our rooks gets in, but orherwise orchard is the only edge rusher im expecting anything out of. This will be his 3rd year right? If he doesnt produce he's got to be gone too next year

Can't get there with Nassib... not now.

As I've written elsewhere Carl simply cannot set the edge at present and in situations where run and pass are both possible, enough comes off his burst that his pass rush effectiveness is seriously diminished.

I dont think ogbah gets a single unassisted real time sack this year. He might get a clean up sack or orchard forces the qb into him. But i dont think will beat a tackle and get to the qb in real time once. Maybe a qb holds the ball for 10 seconds and one of our rooks gets in, but orherwise orchard is the only edge rusher im expecting anything out of. This will be his 3rd year right? If he doesnt produce he's got to be gone too next year

It will be his second year, so he may have a little slack, but not much. I don't think he suck near as bad as Mingo

It will be his second year, so he may have a little slack, but not much. I don't think he suck near as bad as Mingo

Agreed....Orchard was a rook last season and played spot duty the first half of the season.....started the last 6-7 games and, to my eye, finished the season as EASILY the best OLB on the team.....3 sacks in 6 games or so....

So, Id expect a step up from that....with a whole season of starts and one more year of experience, would it be too optimistic to expect 10 sacks from him?......I think not...

Ogbah did look pretty damn stiff, I won't lie. His straight line speed seemed extremely impressive, but he definitely looked pretty rigid to me. We REALLY need one of our young defenders to just "pop" this year and become a playmaker. You know, someone you watch and he just pops out as somebody you ask, "Who the hell is THAT?" Heck, we probably need several guys like this in order to become a decent defense. Ogbah is probably better, or at least, as GOOD AS Kruger right now. Hell, Kruger hardly did anything last year, and I'm pretty sure Ogbah will have more tackles and sacks than Paul.

I did rewatch the Tampa game a few hours ago, paying attention to Kruger. Didn't initially realize the Bucs were playing with a beat up o-line, and Kruger was doing jack.

The worst was Mingo. I've seen that guy get to the QB (not much, LOL) and when he did, he literally couldn't get the guy to the ground. Not sure how much it happened, but I have a couple in my mind and I want to say that the QB really hurt us as a result.

There are pluses and minuses to playing the young guys. Unfortunately, you already know going into the season that there will be a learning curve. There's not much we can do about that, and we just have to hope that the coaches prepared the young guys as well as possible. On the plus side, you never know what you have until you see them on the field. We could have a helluva player on our hands and be the envy of the league. It's about DAMN TIME we got a defender like that, right?

It has seemed to me over the time I have been watching that even IF Kruger got there (very BIG IF), more often than not he just could not tackle if his life depended upon it.

Well when you can't separate from blockers and are too slow to run down plays either away from or past you, it's hard to get in position to tackle.

Old friend of the franchise, Joe Banner, pointed out on NFL Insiders that Krugs had 40+ QB pressures last year. So apparently "there" is within a yard or two of the QB. Also apparently there is no definition of the term "QB pressure".

Officially Krugs was also credited with 33 QB "hurries"... which also seem to count as pressures.

Well when you can't separate from blockers and are too slow to run down plays either away from or past you, it's hard to get in position to tackle.

Old friend of the franchise, Joe Banner, pointed out on NFL Insiders that Krugs had 40+ QB pressures last year. So apparently "there" is within a yard or two of the QB. Also apparently there is no definition of the term "QB pressure".

Officially Krugs was also credited with 33 QB "hurries"... which also seem to count as pressures.

And that also does not account for how long the QB sat back there unhurried before finally someone "pressured or hurried" him. They need a stopwatch definition. I thought most of the season that a major reason our secondary was burned was because of how infinitely long it took for us to get to the QB.

And that also does not account for how long the QB sat back there unhurried before finally someone "pressured or hurried" him. They need a stopwatch definition. I thought most of the season that a major reason our secondary was burned was because of how infinitely long it took for us to get to the QB.

Yeah, that's true. I want to say that we also gave up some large passes in the middle of the field, two that came off play-action. Speaking of play-action, we gave up a few more plays where Winston faked the handoff and then rolled out to his right. He's excellent at throwing on the run. Saw him do that for several years, and he's one of the best college QB's I've ever had the honor of seeing in person many times. The others were Charlie Ward and Chris Weinke...two other Heisman winners, and both exceptional for different reasons.

Agree with both the time factor for rushing the passer and Winston assessment...

Winston looked the part of an NFL QB vs. us... leaps and bounds ahead of 2015 in poise. Actually is approaching Dak Prescott levels... ;)

Winston is far from perfect, and still has a ways to go before he can really dominate, but he certainly has the look. Many people across the country only knew him by the negative press, which isn't fair. The guy did some stupid things as a kid, but he isn't a "bad guy". The sexual assault thing was total garbage and has been struck down by three different legal proceedings, and the crab legs thing was a situation where his friend worked at the store, and "hooked him up". This doesn't make it right, and it's still stealing, but I don't know many people that haven't done something similar. He did a couple other knuckleheaded things, and he didn't do a great job of understanding how much of the spotlight was on him. However, he's been nothing but a gentleman since getting to the NFL, and that's what I expect.

From where I was watching at the game, it appeared that we could've had a couple interceptions against Winston, and we just didn't make the plays. They would've been tough, but still...gotta have those. Winston takes chances, and we literally dropped the ball. Tampa Bay basically won the lottery when they completely sucked at the perfect time. Winston wasn't great in the red zone last year, but that's common with many rookies. He also has the benefit of a terrific running game and large receivers. He may blow up this season.

LOL-with Dak's line I could approach Dak's levels. ;)

... for at least one play...

I still think nassib will make a better elephant than og. He's everybit as fast as kruger and looks more comfortable in space from what little we've seen so far.

Or we could just go 4-3 and run em both out there with orchard. #Wildideas right?

#preachin'tothechoir

... for at least one play...

#preachin'tothechoir

Yeah i know we've been beggin to stop this 3-4 bullshit for years. On nassib though i will fully admit his college tape did ~dick for me. When i heard we drafted him im like wtf we just picked up a DE the previous round with ogbah.

Then they were like oh he's gonna be the 5 tech, im like ok fine whatever. But now after seeing him on an nfl field im kind of not unimpressed. He's still exhibiting thw flaws from his college tape that i said before the draft makes him not in bosa's league. I thought if either of them had to play the 5 tech bosa was still better suited for that.

Problem with nassib at the 5 tech is that he's gonna have to get into the 290's to be any good at it. At 6'6 if he gets that heavy he's going to lose his explosiveness which just the eye test now, what i saw from him when he went around the corner i havent seen that out of any of our guys including obviously kruger.

Id rather see nassib go to that hybrid olb'er than ogbah. In 2 years if he applies himself to the weight room he'll probably be as strong as any olb'er in the league and as long as he stays in the 270's low 280's tops.....he should be as fast as any of them. Long arms disrupting passing lanes and applying leverage first. Preinstalled edge rushing toolset......the kid could be special.

I think putting him at the 5 tech is a waste. The prototype 5 techs to me are guys like watt and smith.

When tia and tour agree on something and post in the thread... No, you're not right. Nassib isn't there yet. See above.

I appreciate the high praise but I'm a student like everyone else.

Certainly subject to being wrong as well.

Edit. As for the 34. I myself have no issues with whatever alignment a coach goes with. Having the personnel is the biggie. For my own preference I just prefer a 1gap scheme. With the direction of the NFL and my own experience I've always found it to be more comfortable and faster.

Archived