THE BROWNS BOARD

Kokinis got schooled

Solon16

Guest Masters
How many NFL corners is Mossaquoi going to be running past with 4.6 speed, he is not a burner and has problems with easy drops like Edwards

Why take 2 receivers back to back, I would have drafted receiver and running back or receiver outside LB, this team needs 2 outside linebackers,how long do you continue with Wimbley who has proven to be a one trick pony the league has figured out

How many slot guys do you ask to burn past a nickle back down field? No one said he was a burner or be asked to be one. Point is, he and Robiskie are not the same guy, which you just said. Does what you just said really sound like Robiskie?

Why take two, well when your WR depth chart looks like Edwards and Patten heading into the season, you need WRs. CLE had a need at OLB and drafted one. One some guys really like as a rusher. The staff seems to think highly of Hall (as do I). I still don't buy guy who as a rookie got 11 sacks is all about him, when the production dropped. Watching the games, you see teams always know Wimbley is coming. You got him and 3 DL coming all day. It's not hard to put a LT on Wimbley and chip him, which teams regularly did. Let him play under a different coach before writing the kid off as a one trick pony figured out by the league. I think the scheme was the one trick pony figured out.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Masters
Try to say what you want....Your exact quote was that they only had two centers on the roster. It was wrong.

Spin it any way you want. Why don't you just say "Oh yeah, I didn't realize that?"

When you try to spin it you sound goofy.

They needed a guard and went out and got it.

And? They got guys that can move, but at this point, they had two C penciled in on their roster. And I did say you got me and they had two, not one. Do you really need more of a pat on the back.

I'll contend they could use a G, just as they could use a DE, NT, and C. I think they would have taken the C had one of the top 2 been available when they picked.

Flugs, I don't know where you got your information but the Steelers were not interested in taking Mack, they were going defensive line or wide receiver in the 1st round

Yea we picked up extra draft picks, but how many of these 2nd day picks are going to help this team, how many 6th round picks make NFL rosters

We got a average safety and backup defensive end from the jets, 2 guys who are stop gap players for a few years

Why pick 2 receivers when this team needed a running back to replace tip toe Lewis and a pass rusher that we still don't have

If this could have been worse I would have hate to see what these CLOWNS would have done

I did not like the Mangini hiring and after today I like it less

Seems to me Mangini is coach and GM and Kokinis just has a title but Mangini is the person making most of the decisions, thought I heard Lerner say after Butch Davis he did'nt want one person with all the power.

I think the thought process in bringing in another BB pupil was to maintain the continuity of the 3-4 that many of our younger players were being trained to play in. Mangini won 9 games in his first season in NY (2006) and won 10 games in 2008. More specifically, when he had healthy QBs - he won consistently. I'd rather have our GM and Head Coach in the same universe this time around so we're more like the organizations that were best known for getting it right.

As for all the day 2 additions that concern you - take a look at what SF did when they added guys like Steve Wallace, Don Griffen and Tim McKyer and others. They were on the NFL Channel's Top 10 drafts. John McVey said Walsh kept presssing him to trade back further and further into day 2.

The Buffalo Bills had countless day 2 picks materializing into 4 consecutive SB appearances.

Pro Bowl Corners named Cortland Finnegan (Samford College) rd 7 and Assante Sameuls (UCF) rd 4. Brian Westbrook day 2. Ike Taylor & Deshea Townsend both rd 4. Brett Keisel rd 7, Aaron Smith rd 4, James Harrison undrafted, Willie Parker undrafted, Larry Foote rd 4... Day 2 matters!

Other noteworthy day 2 draft picks in rd 6 or later:

Marc Bulger rd 6

Tom Brady rd 6

Terrell Davis rd 6

Jamaal Anderson rd 6

Ernest Byner rd 10

Brian Sipe rd 13

Jake Delhomme wasn't drafted but cut by New Orleans before showing up in Carolina

Tony Romance wasn't drafted

Matt Hasselbeck rd 6

I think your BEST GMs work very closely with the Head Coach and scouting staff so there's MORE to a draft than what you do in the upper part of round 1. In the 80s, we had good players coming in from all different directions. This year we doubled our draft volume and added starters via trade. It's a nice start for Mangini and Kokinos. If we put all our marbles into just the #5 pick overall, what happens when his knee shatters the way LeCharles Bentley's knee and Courtney Brown's knee did? Then what? We're right back top being held hostage from committing all our marble into 1 superstar. If that formula worked, we would have been all set a long time ago but here we are.

Let's give Mangini and Kokinos a chance. Again, they were only left 4 draft picks for this draft so I think they showed me some ability to problem solve and learn from our history and their history.

- Tom F.

• 5 months later...

Lmao!!! Just read through the majority of this thread since I missed it in April. For sanity's sake (yours, not mine) I do my best to avoid the board during the offseason. Too much time on my hands to think the worst. No point in making everybody else nuts the same time I'm rocking back and forth in my lil corner.

I would be way out in left field if I was posting in April. :blink: Delonte would look sane next to me.

Excited to watch the game tonight! 8:15 start for me. Got the kid til 8. Don't want to give her nightmares.

This is why FAN is short for FANATICAL...

0-3 start.

New coach that some of us wouldn't mind if his head rolled all ready.

New OC that most of us wouldn't mind if his head rolled all ready.

Owner that most of us wish would sell the team.

Year 3 of the DA/BQ saga.

$1701 fines for water.

tempers in the locker room.

More grievances filed with the league than touchdowns scored.

AND here I sit... antsy. Butterflies. I can't wait to watch the game!!!!!! :lol:

At least mack is playing and learning and we dont know much about the other mankok picks as they never get to play because according to the staff in minced and questionable words..they are fragile little babies that arent ready to play in the nfl yet or they arent as good as those on the field hmmm ok...

I think its time to start building for next year by seeing if these guys can at least hang with the big boyz or rather gooni needs to cut em loose and try again...

At least mack is playing and learning and we dont know much about the other mankok picks as they never get to play because according to the staff in minced and questionable words..they are fragile little babies that arent ready to play in the nfl yet or they arent as good as those on the field hmmm ok...

I think its time to start building for next year by seeing if these guys can at least hang with the big boyz or rather gooni needs to cut em loose and try again...

I'd like to see them get playing time too. Maybe after an 0-4 start.

• 1 month later...
Some people have tunnel vision and can't or refuse to see outside the box.

I think some people get ticked when the professional evaluators view players and needs differently then they do.

Rey is a good example. All year long people bought in to the hype and envisioned the next Ray Lewis, yet when the rubber met the road, he was the last starting USC backer selected.

Why is that???

The answer is in the first words of this post.

you were saying?

Solon, I agree with you 100%, We just got taken to school today, and this leads me to believe that Mangini is running everything with this team and Kokinis is just a figurehead..

Our biggest need was pass rusher and we got none, we needed a running back and we got none, a center and 2 wide receivers and a converted DE is not what I would have expected.

Tell me how many 2nd day picks make NFL rosters or any type of impact, we got a bunch of 6th round picks....whoooooooooo, if we are expected to build this team into a winner with a bunch of 2nd day picks we are in BIG TROUBLE

For the people who think we were smart to pass on Rey, just remember when Rey is playing in the Pro bowl what we could have had

This team still has no identity on defense, we have no linebackers who you can say are better than average, and don't tell me about all the tackles D'Qwell makes, the playmakers in a 3-4 are the LB's and who do we have at linebacker, Wimbley=BUST, Old Man Barton, Unproven=Hall.

This draft was TERRIBLE

Terrible!!!

As someone who knows the three players received from the Jets well....I can tell you that you got two bona fide starters and a legitimate backup QB in addition to the second round pick. THEY FLEECED THE JETS not the other way around.

All of these guys have character to bring to a locker room that's in need of it.

Alex Mack is intelligent and tough as they come. Maualuga has serious off the field issues. Get over it. No wonder he went to Cincy.

By the way....Jennings is still on the board in the fourth....so second would be a reach.

For a team that only had four draft picks...they've parlayed them into four starters. Well done Mr. Kokinis.

wrong

Since when do you work for the Browns and know their biggest need? When did ManKok fill you in on their plans for the team and what they perceive as the biggest needs of the team? Once again, another whiney little bitch because they didn't pick who you liked and you refuse to even wait and see what gets put on the field.

I have seen....hmmm, my third eye....hey neb...wrong!

I have seen....hmmm, my third eye....hey neb...wrong!

Bored today??

Is rey having a good year? I don't pat attention to other teams players all that much.

At any rate, good if he is.

Bored today??

Is rey having a good year? I don't pat attention to other teams players all that much.

At any rate, good if he is.

Yes.... i thought kokinis was a numbskull and i think the draft sucked when it happened...

sorry for you....

Sorry for me? I don't understand why. Essentially everybody I've seen has agreed that our draft was pretty good. Sure, it could have been better. But what if we had gone for Maualuga and then he turned out to be the world's biggest shithead? Then you'd be chastising EM for reaching for him, even though his stock dropped significantly. You aren't going to be happy no matter what. I've said it once before and I will say it again- You are nothing but a douchebag who completely resents differing opinions. Maybe you should be our HC, since you are so well-qualified. I'm sure we won't go wrong there.

Sorry for me? I don't understand why. Essentially everybody I've seen has agreed that our draft was pretty good. Sure, it could have been better. But what if we had gone for Maualuga and then he turned out to be the world's biggest shithead? Then you'd be chastising EM for reaching for him, even though his stock dropped significantly. You aren't going to be happy no matter what. I've said it once before and I will say it again- You are nothing but a douchebag who completely resents differing opinions. Maybe you should be our HC, since you are so well-qualified. I'm sure we won't go wrong there.

wow...nice with the name calling...good to speak with you too. we have bombed 10 str8 years on the draft....this year zero difference...never ever take a center in the first round...he may be great but onother huge mistake. I see nothing, absolutely nothing about our second rounders to say it isn't a complete busted draft. I hope I'm wrong....doubt it highly

wow...nice with the name calling...good to speak with you too. we have bombed 10 str8 years on the draft....this year zero difference...never ever take a center in the first round...he may be great but onother huge mistake. I see nothing, absolutely nothing about our second rounders to say it isn't a complete busted draft. I hope I'm wrong....doubt it highly

Why would you never take a center in the first round, if he's got first round talent. By all accounts, Pittsburgh was ready to nab him, so I'm glad we got him first. Look at Nick Mangold, he was so great they were considering him for ROY. Centers almost never get ROY, so that should show how great he was. He made the Pro Bowl last year, and will probably continue to do so for the next 8-10 years, barring injury. Jeff Faine, another Pro Bowler selected in the first round. Damien Woody, another Pro Bowler that was drafted in the first round. I grow sick and tired of people saying you can't draft so and so in the first round. If their talent is good enough, and you need that position, and you feel your marginal benefit outweighs the marginal cost, go for it. Now we have somebody to face Haloti Ngata and Casey Hampton for the next couple of years.

Why would you never take a center in the first round, if he's got first round talent. By all accounts, Pittsburgh was ready to nab him, so I'm glad we got him first. Look at Nick Mangold, he was so great they were considering him for ROY. Centers almost never get ROY, so that should show how great he was. He made the Pro Bowl last year, and will probably continue to do so for the next 8-10 years, barring injury. Jeff Faine, another Pro Bowler selected in the first round. Damien Woody, another Pro Bowler that was drafted in the first round. I grow sick and tired of people saying you can't draft so and so in the first round. If their talent is good enough, and you need that position, and you feel your marginal benefit outweighs the marginal cost, go for it. Now we have somebody to face Haloti Ngata and Casey Hampton for the next couple of years.

Awesome...we have someone to block opposing nt's in the afc north(woohoo).... we have 4 Td's this year. no skill positions worth crap....again!

Awesome...we have someone to block opposing nt's in the afc north(woohoo).... we have 4 Td's this year. no skill positions worth crap....again!

Well, given that the AFC North is well-known for it's stifling defense, I'd say that's a pretty great thing to have. If that doesn't prove anything, how about Casey Hampton is a 4 time Pro Bowl NT with 258 tackles and 5.5 sacks in his 9 year career and Haloti has 94 tackles, 4 sacks, and an INT in two years and is considered to be one of the best defensive lineman in the NFL. The fact that you are downplaying the tremendous defense of the AFC North just proves that you honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

Well, given that the AFC North is well-known for it's stifling defense, I'd say that's a pretty great thing to have. If that doesn't prove anything, how about Casey Hampton is a 4 time Pro Bowl NT with 258 tackles and 5.5 sacks in his 9 year career and Haloti has 94 tackles, 4 sacks, and an INT in two years and is considered to be one of the best defensive lineman in the NFL. The fact that you are downplaying the tremendous defense of the AFC North just proves that you honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

wow...shaun rogers is better than either...so what? Both ravens and steelersand bengals have playmakers on offense....we have zero! all three have good runners, Qb's ...we have neither. You want to pick a fight with me by calling me names...that makes you a d-bag. But i know football.

Solon, you will never win arguing with some people here,we have zero players on offense and we passed up offensive playmakers to trade down to select a center, we got out of this draft a receiver who can't get separation (Robiske) a college defensive end moved to lb, a raw rookie Massaquoi trying to be a number 1 receiver and a center and folks are calling this a great draft.

Also all this talk about we got 11 draft picks, do people actually realize that most of these 11 draft picks in 2010 are late round draft choices so tell me how are these draft picks taken in the 4th, 5th and 6 rounds going to offer much help to this team.

We have a offense that looks like some pee wee football team, we have a inept offense that struggles to score 10 points a game and I see people hear saying lets draft defense in the first 3 rounds, guess what if you can't score points I don't care how good your defense is you won't win, no defense is going to shutout teams every week and in the AFC North you have Rothlisberger, Palmer and Flacco so you better be able to score some points because all 3 of those teams will score points

recap for the football impaired....Justin Hartwig=6th round(pitt), Matt Birk=6th round(balt), Kyle cook= undrafted(cincy)...the three other teams in the afc north...rothlisberger,ward,mendenhall....flacco, rice, mcGahee...., palmer, ocho, benson.....

FAIL!

quick look at past probowlers@ center...nick hardwick 3rd round (1 pro bowl), Olin kreutz 3rd round(7 probowls), Kevin Mawae ,2nd round drafted as guard,(6 probowls), Tom Nalen 7th round (4 pro bowls) matt birk 6th round(4probowls), Jeff christy 4th round(4 probowls)jeff saturdau 2 pro bowl(undrafted) on and on and on......STOOOPID to take in first round

P.S. your Dad should have pulled out!

So what you're telling me is that we could have picked Ben Roethlisberger, Hines Ward, and Rashard Mendenhall, or Joe Flacco, Ray Rice, and Willis McGahee, or Carson Palmer, Chad Ochocinco, and Cedric Benson with the pick that we used for Alex Mack? Well shit, I guess we did make a terrible decision.

Your argument is stupid. Sure, we could have picked up any skill player in that pick, but a fat lot of good it does when your QB doesn't have enough time to even throw the ball. The line is the most important part of rebuilding an offense, and if you can't understand that, then there's really no point in this lame argument.

EDIT: Oh, and nice line about my dad pulling out. That was very classy, and extremely clever. I can't believe I never thought of that one.

Archived