THE BROWNS BOARD

Schefter reports Gilbert traded....

hoorta

I just wanted Gilbert cut, but THIS FO gets rid of him, gets a pick for him, AND dumps him on Pittspuke! LOL

Life is good!

Mike

And you know who else I bet believes "life is good" ? Justin Gilbert.

A stud in college and high on almost everyone's board, the sentiment out there is that all this guy needs is a change of scenery, from a losing culture to a winning one. Many view Gilbert as being "rescued". We shall see.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which is fine for the price you paid for him, but for the price we paid, we expected much, much more than a STs guy.

Let's just hope the days of trading first round picks for fifths and sixths are over.

Which is fine for the price you paid for him, but for the price we paid, we expected much, much more than a STs guy.

Truer words have never been spoken.

But the Steelers have had high priced first round busts too. Their Jarvis Jones is like your former LB Bark Mingo, maybe worse.

Based upon?

Shouldn't take a WR in the first half of the first round unless you can get a Julio, AJ, Megatron, etc. or if you are a really good team missing a piece. Coleman is an undersized guy for a #1 and even if he reaches his ceiling by the time the Browns are any good he'll be out of his rookie deal or close and then you'll have to pay him. Like putting a BMW hood ornament on a Hyundai.

LMAO You know this after 1 training camp and 2 pre-season games?

They had many more "real" needs. For arguments sake let's say Coleman turns out to be Sammy Watkins. When you can't stop the run or pass and can't block for your washed up QB what good is a WR? Maybe he sells jerseys but the Browns are devoid of talent at essential positions. Bitonio and Erving aren't lighting the world on fire and Thomas is old. The D Line is suspect as well. If in todays NFL controlling the line of scrimmage should be the first order of business.

They had many more "real" needs. For arguments sake let's say Coleman turns out to be Sammy Watkins. When you can't stop the run or pass and can't block for your washed up QB what good is a WR? Maybe he sells jerseys but the Browns are devoid of talent at essential positions. Bitonio and Erving aren't lighting the world on fire and Thomas is old. The D Line is suspect as well. If in todays NFL controlling the line of scrimmage should be the first order of business.

Yea, our future HoF olineman sure has accounted for many, many wins during his illustrious career.

Yea, our future HoF olineman sure has accounted for many, many wins during his illustrious career.

and we will need someone in the very near future to replace him.

Personally I'd go with defense, defense, defense, defense and hope in that 4 years I could piece together some form of offense.

Not arguing, but come on man, this team had so many holes and they all couldn't be filled in just one off season. We could argue all day until we're blue in the face on whether we should've gone QB, OL, front 7, back end, a lil' bit of every position this first off season, but the reality is the FO could only do so much.

Lets give the guys until at least Oct 1 before we all cry to blow it up again.

Shouldn't take a WR in the first half of the first round unless you can get a Julio, AJ, Megatron, etc. or if you are a really good team missing a piece. Coleman is an undersized guy for a #1 and even if he reaches his ceiling by the time the Browns are any good he'll be out of his rookie deal or close and then you'll have to pay him. Like putting a BMW hood ornament on a Hyundai.

I've been a hood ornament guy myself, but the cards have been dealt.

In a short 4 weeks Coleman will be our #2. There a quite an number of great, undersized WRs in the league, ones shorter than Coleman. Let's hope he's good enough that we have to pay him.

Thomas is "old"? He's 32 and entering his 11th season in a league where great OTs play 15 years... even ones that have suffered serious injuries. If we trend upwards, I think he'd like to ride along at least that long.

Was it the route I'd have taken? No, but again the hand's been dealt.

As D pointed out... you can't fix everything at once. If we come out of 2016 at least having fixed WR, then that will be one position more than we've fixed in a while.

Not arguing, but come on man, this team had so many holes and they all couldn't be filled in just one off season. We could argue all day until we're blue in the face on whether we should've gone QB, OL, front 7, back end, a lil' bit of every position this first off season, but the reality is the FO could only do so much.

Lets give the guys until at least Oct 1 before we all cry to blow it up again.

Can't keep blowing it up just wished they'd have a plan. I was so excited with Pettine and Farmer coming on board that I thought they would at least have a defense worth a shit. I liked the Shelton pick even though the jury is still out on that one. I was hoping they would have stayed put this year and taken the best DL or LB available to add to Shelton. They trade down and take, what I believe to be, a #2 WR to put with a shit offensive line, questionable RBs and a washed up QB. I don't know what Sashi's plan is but I don't know if he really has one.

Oh ur one of those fans that watches football but is clueless as to what they're watching and the skillset required of men to belong on that field. Ic now. Its cool bro. Sometimes its nice just watching men run around in tight pants huh? Right on

This post is just about right in line with the rest of your misguided garbage.

Keep on keepin on

Can't keep blowing it up just wished they'd have a plan. I was so excited with Pettine and Farmer coming on board that I thought they would at least have a defense worth a shit. I liked the Shelton pick even though the jury is still out on that one. I was hoping they would have stayed put this year and taken the best DL or LB available to add to Shelton. They trade down and take, what I believe to be, a #2 WR to put with a shit offensive line, questionable RBs and a washed up QB. I don't know what Sashi's plan is but I don't know if he really has one.

Honestly, this is kind of how I feel.....the "plan" isnt really making complete sense to me....especially the part about completely stripping the team, then making WR the first priority on the rebuild....thats just weird

Honestly, this is kind of how I feel.....the "plan" isnt really making complete sense to me....especially the part about completely stripping the team, then making WR the first priority on the rebuild....thats just weird

Which of the moves would you not have made? Honestly, getting anything in return for Gilbert and Mingo is a bonus. I could have seen keeping Kruger for experience and depth in the OLB position, but I can't imagine you're losing sleep on that one. Punters are punters, by and large - get one that is consistent and go with it. No 60 yarders is not a huge price to pay for no 20 yarders, and yes Lee was good but a 4th round pick? Come on.

Going back, they are clearly dedicated to getting the 'weapons' - as we're legally obliged to call these guys - in place to give a QB chance to succeed. OK, sure. We went the 'get a solid OL and go from there' route a few years and it got us basically nowhere, so why not try a little ghoolie-ball?

On D, I might have kept Dansby, but Campbell looks like a solid replacement for Whitner - complete with lack of coverage skills.

For me the only missteps have been not keeping hold of Schwartz and Gipson. The draft strategy you can argue day and night but having lots of picks is not a bad thing.

Which of the moves would you not have made? Honestly, getting anything in return for Gilbert and Mingo is a bonus. I could have seen keeping Kruger for experience and depth in the OLB position, but I can't imagine you're losing sleep on that one. Punters are punters, by and large - get one that is consistent and go with it. No 60 yarders is not a huge price to pay for no 20 yarders, and yes Lee was good but a 4th round pick? Come on.

Going back, they are clearly dedicated to getting the 'weapons' - as we're legally obliged to call these guys - in place to give a QB chance to succeed. OK, sure. We went the 'get a solid OL and go from there' route a few years and it got us basically nowhere, so why not try a little ghoolie-ball?

On D, I might have kept Dansby, but Campbell looks like a solid replacement for Whitner - complete with lack of coverage skills.

For me the only missteps have been not keeping hold of Schwartz and Gipson. The draft strategy you can argue day and night but having lots of picks is not a bad thing.

I would have made some of the same moves.....the Gilbert and Mingo trades are fine.....Id do it to...

Woulda gotten rid of Kruger too, BUT( and its a big but).....I would've aggressively gone after an OLB in both the draft and FA first...esp if Im dumping both Mingo and Kruger...

Yep...letting Schwartz go was a mistake(and handled VERY poorly by the FO...)

Im 50/50 on the Lee trade....not griping, but probably would have kept him....(like I said on another thread, we have never scored a great player in the 4th over 55 years)....so, great punter vs average to below average back up player.....hmmmmm

Been a fan of Campbell all along and was pushing for the Browns to draft him, actually.....and, yeah, would've kept Dansby....

My biggest issues are the draft and the FO / HC choice....to me, this group felt like some of the worst choices since Haslem took over......and I know Im in the minority, and NONE of us knows how it will turn out.....but I dont claim that Im right and someone else is wrong.....just saying what my eyes and heart are telling me......to me, false optimism is basically lying(to myself and others), so Im not going there this year.....

....but here, if you aren't "all in", then your opinion is either wrong or whiny or bitching......

In the end, Im excited to see the young guys play....Im supporting the new kids and, like everyone else, hope to see greatness emerge....just kinda down that is ALL im gonna get for another year or 2 or 3.....wish I had enough of a team that I could, at least, delude myself into thinking we "could" win now, etc.....

I feel you. There are things I probably would have done differently, but Coleman, Ogbah and Nassib are solid enough picks for me to start the draft off. Shon Coleman I can live with if he grows in to a serviceable right tackle. Kessler is where they lost me a bit. But between Kindred, Schobert, and Scooby, and a couple of the receivers, they backed up the solid start with 'promising' guys with good production.

If we take Kessler and replace him with, say, Andrew Billings, or Nick Vannett, for example, I'm all good.

1. I would've aggressively gone after an OLB in both the draft and FA first...

Yep...letting Schwartz go was a mistake(and handled VERY poorly by the FO...)

My biggest issues are the draft and the FO / HC choice....to me, this group felt like some of the worst choices since Haslem took over...

....but here, if you aren't "all in", then your opinion is either wrong or whiny or bitching......

1. You know I was with you on LB need, but in reality what impact LBs were there for us that were not hindered by significant injury?

Still have to look at the aspect that Schwartz was only using us for leverage.

FO: Personally I don't mind this new emphasis on analytics. HC: Again it comes down to other choices, but I think Hue has the possibility of being the right one.

True, but only in "year one". Year two it's "fire the bum". We don't have to rewind too far to see that in action. ;)

In the end, Im excited to see the young guys play....Im supporting the new kids and, like everyone else, hope to see greatness emerge....just kinda down that is ALL im gonna get for another year or 2 or 3.....wish I had enough of a team that I could, at least, delude myself into thinking we "could" win now, etc.....

Yup, I want to see some on field progress. I've seen way too may guys here think "in Savage We trust", then it's Farmer will be a good GM. To this point Sashi and Depodesta have proved nothing, other than they sure as hell know how to stockpile draft picks.

And I know you're hoping he does, but fear not the Steelers have acquired Mettenberger from the Chargers!

How can you go wrong with another QB named 'berger'?

A double berger man...two all beefs, one well done the other a litte raw.

Mettenberger better than Landry Jones, FWIW.

And you know who else I bet believes "life is good" ? Justin Gilbert.

A stud in college and high on almost everyone's board, the sentiment out there is that all this guy needs is a change of scenery, from a losing culture to a winning one. Many view Gilbert as being "rescued". We shall see.

Hell, it is going to take a hell of a lot more than just a "change of scenery" to bet Gilbert motivated to play football.

Now, I suppose the one thing that this trade may do to him is to cause him to mature. Maturity is his biggest problem. Being cut and thrown out on the street may have actually been better for him.....but being traded for a 6th round pick may also be a bitch slap to his face....which is a lot of what he needs. 50/50 on whether it will work.

Archived