THE BROWNS BOARD

Schefter reports Gilbert traded....

hoorta

Hell, it is going to take a hell of a lot more than just a "change of scenery" to bet Gilbert motivated to play football.

Now, I suppose the one thing that this trade may do to him is to cause him to mature. Maturity is his biggest problem. Being cut and thrown out on the street may have actually been better for him.....but being traded for a 6th round pick may also be a bitch slap to his face....which is a lot of what he needs. 50/50 on whether it will work.

Frankly I don't care about him or what he needs any more and hope his move fails miserably because he's inside the division still.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We paid too much for Gilbert as a first rounder. The Steelers got him for peanuts (which is what I think he is worth). At least we got something for him and there is an off chance a new environment for Gilbert may turn him around. I don't think it will happen but for as little as the Steelers had to give for him it seems like it was worth it from their point of view to take a chance with him.

We paid too much for Gilbert as a first rounder. The Steelers got him for peanuts (which is what I think he is worth). At least we got something for him and there is an off chance a new environment for Gilbert may turn him around. I don't think it will happen but for as little as the Steelers had to give for him it seems like it was worth it from their point of view to take a chance with him.

hmmm, let's see....

mike tomlin talkin to you OR hue jackson talking to you.

which one makes you laugh thinking about it?

Hey "fellers" hope the offseason hasnt treated you poorly and based on this thread most were happy to get something for gilbert. My stance is this, i have no expectations for gilbert BUT instead guarded optimism that a culture change will alter his approach to the game. The Browns are turning a corner but havent really instilled much optimism in a long time. Gilbert fell from grace and pretty much got cut, similar to santonio holmes with us BUT Santonio obviously performed. I think being around guys like William Gay, Ross Cockrell who was a 4th round castoff of the bills and is now starting for us and certainly guys like Antonio Brown who is probably the hardest working player in the nfl will alter his approach. If Gilbert is terrible it was a 6th but if he turns it around what a bargain. I will say at the very least he impressed me in his interviews, he doesnt seem like an idiot. I guess we'll find out. Enjoy week 1 cunts. :)

Hey "fellers" hope the offseason hasnt treated you poorly and based on this thread most were happy to get something for gilbert. My stance is this, i have no expectations for gilbert BUT instead guarded optimism that a culture change will alter his approach to the game. The Browns are turning a corner but havent really instilled much optimism in a long time. Gilbert fell from grace and pretty much got cut, similar to santonio holmes with us BUT Santonio obviously performed. I think being around guys like William Gay, Ross Cockrell who was a 4th round castoff of the bills and is now starting for us and certainly guys like Antonio Brown who is probably the hardest working player in the nfl will alter his approach. If Gilbert is terrible it was a 6th but if he turns it around what a bargain. I will say at the very least he impressed me in his interviews, he doesnt seem like an idiot. I guess we'll find out. Enjoy week 1 cunts. :)

It will take more than a culture change to change Gilbert. It will take a personality change. It could happen. He needs maturity. Can he get it there? Who knows....and at this point we don't really care. We hope he continues to suck the way he did here.

It will take more than a culture change to change Gilbert. It will take a personality change. It could happen. He needs maturity. Can he get it there? Who knows....and at this point we don't really care. We hope he continues to suck the way he did here.

I was really impressed with him in a recent interview and weve had success with cockrell another cb cast off the front office liked in the draft. As i said zero expectations but im curious to see how he does like most people.

I think being around guys like William Gay, Ross Cockrell who was a 4th round castoff of the bills and is now starting for us and certainly guys like Antonio Brown who is probably the hardest working player in the nfl will alter his approach. If Gilbert is terrible it was a 6th but if he turns it around what a bargain. I will say at the very least he impressed me in his interviews, he doesnt seem like an idiot. I guess we'll find out.

He gave a couple good interviews in CLE each of the past two years as well.

Forget the good examples... as I told one of your brethren locker him next to Harrison.

....and at this point we don't really care

Yes at this point, goes without saying... but that'll change quickly should Gibson become the player that everyone thought he should be...a lotta bitchin gonna be goin on!

That said, the probability of that happening is low...cant recall a high draft pick released or traded by the browns due to poor performance go on to be a stud elsewhere... Gerard Warren and Trent Richardson are two examples, gotta be a bunch more.

Yes at this point, goes without saying... but that'll change quickly should Gibson become the player that everyone thought he should be...a lotta bitchin gonna be goin on!

Gibson? You mean Gilbert?

That said, the probability of that happening is low...cant recall a high draft pick released or traded by the browns due to poor performance go on to be a stud elsewhere... Gerard Warren and Trent Richardson are two examples, gotta be a bunch more.

Warren and Wimbley....well lets just say they had some tenure after leaving the Browns. Neither were studs by any means.

And where are you going with TR? He pretty much sucked. Released by Colts/Ravens.

(a few good players left the Browns via FA....TJ Ward, Sheard....but I don't think that is what we are talking about)

No, it really is true that the Browns drafted bad talent. Proven after they left.

OK, maybe Gilbert has the chance to be the first one to improve his lot.

Gibson? You mean Gilbert?

Warren and Wimbley....well lets just say they had some tenure after leaving the Browns. Neither were studs by any means.

And where are you going with TR? He pretty much sucked. Released by Colts/Ravens.

(a few good players left the Browns via FA....TJ Ward, Sheard....but I don't think that is what we are talking about)

No, it really is true that the Browns drafted bad talent. Proven after they left.

OK, maybe Gilbert has the chance to be the first one to improve his lot.

Lol Gibson.

I'm not goin anywhere with TR, just throwing out a couple names that were either busts or not that great with the browns, and pretty much ended up that way with other teams.

Hoping Gibso...er Gilberts fate will be the exception and not the norm!

You're right, Ward and Sheard aren't even in the conversation. They have talent. Especially Ward. The dude can hit. Should be a Steeler. ;)

Lol Gibson.

I'm not goin anywhere with TR, just throwing out a couple names that were either busts or not that great with the browns, and pretty much ended up that way with other teams.

OK, I thought you were saying that it was the other way around....guys that die well after leaving here.

You're right, Ward and Sheard aren't even in the conversation. They have talent. Especially Ward. The dude can hit. Should be a Steeler. ;)

Why? They Steelers have never been known as hard hitters. Dirty hitters, not hard hitters. Good defenders, but not hard hitters.

Not like the likes of Jack Tatum, Night Train Lane, Willie Lanier, Mike Curtis, Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, LT, Nitschke and Butkus, Willie Lanier, Ray Lewis, John Lynch, Urlacher, Chuck Bednarik, Sam Huff.

You might say either Joe Greene or Lambert could fit in their, but while Lambert was HOF, I never thought of him as a big hitter, not like the MLBs named above. He was great at positioning and block shedding, but not so great at hammering. He was actually very lightweight for a MLB...compared to others. He was more on the order of Clay Matthews. Right place, right time to tackle, but not a huge hitter. While the Steelers had great defenses under LeBeau, they were heavy wood layers. Polamalu seemed like he was hitting people, but that was just his hair flying. I am not saying he didn't do a good job at his craft, but he was no John Lynch...more or less his contemporary. DBs can be great without being big hitters.....Hello Deion Sanders.

Just know this: In Gilbert, you are not getting a guy with a reputation for hard hitting. More of a guy that shys away from it.

TJ Ward is a bigger hitter than anyone the Steelers have had in decades....at least as far as DBs are concerned.

Culture change? LOL

Dude, he BLOWS.

You better get REAL worried about your scouting staff AND your secondary depth because this move smacks of desperation and ignorance on the part if the Steelers.

I realize it is only a 6th rounder, but why the fuck would you want this guy on your team ... Let alone take us off the hook on his rookie contact?

Not a good look for Pittsburgh, you should be getting concerned.

Z

Culture change? LOL

Dude, he BLOWS.

You better get REAL worried about your scouting staff AND your secondary depth because this move smacks of desperation and ignorance on the part if the Steelers.

I realize it is only a 6th rounder, but why the fuck would you want this guy on your team ... Let alone take us off the hook on his rookie contact?

Not a good look for Pittsburgh, you should be getting concerned.

Z

6th rounder as you said. Very minimal risk and they liked him in the draft but obviously not where he was drafted. Adding depth cant hurt and if he turns it around it will pay off in a big way. Im not concerned at all, malcontents and lazy players dont last in pittsburgh. He either assimilates or gets cut.

6th rounder as you said. Very minimal risk and they liked him in the draft but obviously not where he was drafted. Adding depth cant hurt and if he turns it around it will pay off in a big way. Im not concerned at all, malcontents and lazy players dont last in pittsburgh. He either assimilates or gets cut.

Apparently malcontents and lazy players don't last in Cleveland ... Pittsburgh trades for them

Z

and then they wear rings and are happy as shit.

The guys that have been on the team since 2009 wear rings ... Both of them?

Obviously things are turning in our favor if they are trading for our trash.

Sashi is a witch, and you are a closeted Steeler fan with a thing for nancyboy punters.

Z

I have always suspected that Gilbert Grape did not like being drafted by the Browns and played just well enough to get someone interested in trading for him. We shall see if Pittspuke turns out to be the geniuses in the end, or just the suckers that took a massive fail off our hands.

I have always suspected that Gilbert Grape did not like being drafted by the Browns and played just well enough to get someone interested in trading for him. We shall see if Pittspuke turns out to be the geniuses in the end, or just the suckers that took a massive fail off our hands.

I don't think he is smart enough to have thought of that. He is lazy, unmotivated for sure. The question is: does he have any actual talent, and can he mature himself out of being a bust....not just here but there or anywhere.

Lol Gibson.

OK, I thought you were saying that it was the other way around....guys that die well after leaving here.

Why? They Steelers have never been known as hard hitters. Dirty hitters, not hard hitters. Good defenders, but not hard hitters.

Not like the likes of Jack Tatum, Night Train Lane, Willie Lanier, Mike Curtis, Steve Atwater, Ronnie Lott, LT, Nitschke and Butkus, Willie Lanier, Ray Lewis, John Lynch, Urlacher, Chuck Bednarik, Sam Huff.

You might say either Joe Greene or Lambert could fit in their, but while Lambert was HOF, I never thought of him as a big hitter, not like the MLBs named above. He was great at positioning and block shedding, but not so great at hammering. He was actually very lightweight for a MLB...compared to others. He was more on the order of Clay Matthews. Right place, right time to tackle, but not a huge hitter. While the Steelers had great defenses under LeBeau, they were heavy wood layers. Polamalu seemed like he was hitting people, but that was just his hair flying. I am not saying he didn't do a good job at his craft, but he was no John Lynch...more or less his contemporary. DBs can be great without being big hitters.....Hello Deion Sanders.

Just know this: In Gilbert, you are not getting a guy with a reputation for hard hitting. More of a guy that shys away from it.

TJ Ward is a bigger hitter than anyone the Steelers have had in decades....at least as far as DBs are concerned.

????

Lack of communication goin on here!

Again, browns players projected to be good but turned out to be duds have not achieved greatness elsewhere. That's all I'm saying.

Ward and Sheard weren't duds for the Browns, therefore not in this conversation.

I don't think he is smart enough to have thought of that. He is lazy, unmotivated for sure. The question is: does he have any actual talent, and can he mature himself out of being a bust....not just here but there or anywhere.

Uh oh!

Steelers new Cornerback Justin Gilbert, either looks like a new player, or Cleveland needs better coaches,

Gilbert turning heads at Steelers practice, as he showcase not only exceptional footwork but his hands as well, picking Ben off twice once was a go route to AB, and the other was a fade to Coats

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=569374913250494&substory_index=0&id=231978776990111

Its a conspiracy between them cheating Steelers and Gilbert! Gilbert never wanted to be a Brown!

The Steelers had spent a lot of time getting to know Gilbert before the draft...the Browns did not.

It says so right here:

http://www.steelers.com/news/labriola-on/article-1/Labriola-on-trading-for-Justin-Gilbert/580f9c7e-b099-4c35-b530-e32b434bde5e

Archived