THE BROWNS BOARD

Biggest Hitters in Browns History

The Gipper

The subject came up elsewhere in regards to all NFL players.....so I thought I would give this subject its own treatment:

Who have been the biggest "Hitters" in Browns history? By that I mean defensive players who would lay the wood to you.

Honestly, the Browns, as far as I can recall have never had that huge huge whacker. The Browns have never had the MLB that can be associated with that trait. (no Butkus, Nitschke, Curtis, Bednarik, Urlacher, Singletary,Lanier, Lewis, Huff)

Who is the hardest hitting MLB they have had? Maybe Eddie Johnson? Or Mike Johnson? Vince Costello, MLB in the 60s was a good player, but not a heavy hitter. Even back in the dynasty years 40s/50s, they didn't have a stud MLB. No Browns LB has ever made the HOF.....including OLBs.

Or....is Bill Willis considered LB? I see him listed as a "Middle Guard"...which I equate to a nose tackle.

Perhaps I am wrong. Even at my age I was not old enough to have seen him play.

Dick Ambrose?

DBs? Erich Barnes comes to mind certainly.

Thom Darden not bad, but he was more a cover guy.

TJ Ward, when he was here could hammer.

Chris Rockins?

Oh.....I forgot: Eric Turner. He really could e-rock with the best of them

Dixon and Minniefield were not the hammering kind of guys.

Robert L Jackson knocked out some Earl Campbell teeth on a Monday night. His career wasn't very long though.

Thom Darden hit hard, and I think he still is atop the Browns Int record.

Turner would top my list on the D-side.

Dick Ambrose was not nicknamed "Bam Bam" for nothing.

Jim Brown may have delivered more hard shots than the two of them totaled.

Tj ward in my lifetime. It wasnt always textbook and because of that he sometimes missed wrapping up and sealing thebdeal. But he brought the wood my god. Couple years back wheni was regularly going to games u always knew when tj was involved in a tackle even if u were obstructed from seeing it.....the sound he made at impact dear god. Him an DQ were all over the field, its like they were playing a different game almost they were moving so much faster than everyone else.

And tj blew gronk up, major props for that

Tj ward in my lifetime. It wasnt always textbook and because of that he sometimes missed wrapping up and sealing thebdeal. But he brought the wood my god. Couple years back wheni was regularly going to games u always knew when tj was involved in a tackle even if u were obstructed from seeing it.....the sound he made at impact dear god. Him an DQ were all over the field, its like they were playing a different game almost they were moving so much faster than everyone else.

How young are you?

I was angry we didn't even offer TJ a deal before he walked.

Well i didnt start watching the browns till the late 80's and went to my first game sometime in the early 90's. I actually only went to a few games before the team left, maybe 2-3.

You would have seen Eric Turner then. TJ, yes, a hard hitter....not as hard as Erock, imo.

You would have seen Eric Turner then. TJ, yes, a hard hitter....not as hard as Erock, imo.

Remember though in those days u could dropkick people or give em irish whip clotheslines as they caught the ball. Tj has to keep his forearms snd padsvalot lower. He was rocking people with shots to the body, not being able to always hunt the weak spots.

Pure mass x acceleration ill take TJ

Archived