THE BROWNS BOARD

What is Your Opinion On Hue & The Browns Rebuild

Opal312

My opinion is that I am too impatient to deal with a 3-5 year plan. I get that the Browns will not do anything this year likely except to show improvement.....but next year I expect them to be playoff contenders.

Me too my man! I want us winning games every freakin Sunday; and the last 2 had us watching until the very end thinking we could do so. In fact, the last one went into overtime if memory serves me right. Having said all that, I was informed in this thread we're tanking the season which means that Hue and our front office was thrilled this team lost the last 2 weeks. Did either of our last 2 games look like this team or it's staff wanted to lose?

Now consider what's about to come out in the draft at QB in 2017 in terms of can't miss football messiah. How does one conclude a front office full of Harvard intellect is all gung ho for 0-16 football this year so it can shit in the face of Joe Thomas and the 1 Head Coach that had 4 or 5 teams that wanted to interview him beside Cleveland. Make sense? It shouldn't.

Just imagine the interview and it would look like a conversation between Billy Crystal and Robert DeNiro in the movie Analyze This.

Jimmy: Do you like to win?

Hue: Yes.

Jimmy: No you don't. Do you want to lose every game this year?

Hue: No.

Jimmy: Yes you do. Are you still interested in the job here?

Hue: No.

Jimmy: Yes you are. Now go remind Joe Thomas why he needs to stay here with the smile I just painted on your face.

Hue: Okay Gepetto. Anything else?

Jimmy: Yeah, make sure the new kicker hurts his knee late in the week before the Miami game. I owe some money to the Parkey family and he'll help us keep the 0-16 dream alive...

Hue: It'll be done with smiles on our faces.

Each week, we look like we're getting closer to winning. To be honest, we only had a 3 point deficit to Philly in the 3rd quarter who beat Ben Rapen's Pittsburgh Stee-roids by a much bigger margin. Philly won 9 or 10 games in 2014 and 7 games in 2015 so it wasn't like they sucked before adding Schwartz and an offensive mindset that didn't choose to no huddle away their time of possession. End result: not only did they improve their thinking on both sides of the ball - their defense actually rested their legs and oxygen supplies Win-win.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my eyes, other NFL teams should be following suit and would be wise to start doing so sooner rather than later. In-season trading is rare in the NFL, but it could be a great opportunity for these franchises to kick-start a much-needed rebuild

nflspinzone?.....quality stuff, right there....

Only problem with stripping a team of the little talent it has, in an effort to rebuild, is that it ISNT a proven method or one that teams have used to suceed......By removing your good players, that increases the # of players needed to succeed, which makes the climb longer and harder.....I just cant agree with the methods.....even if improvement shows, it's still gonna be less than it could have been....

Example....had they simply signed a few key players(O Line comes to mind) we may not be 0-3 right now....eh?

Not sure on this. I really didn't know that we were in a 7-9 rut.

HA!.....aint that the truth.....

Jury is out for the long run, but there were mistakes in the draft and in retention. If those are owned up to and rectified, then there is a chance of an eventual playoff team by year 3-4. But if we have a shot at a true impact player who is overall BPA and in a position of primary need, but cash him in for more lesser players again, then throw the bums out.

Right....trading and releasing known talent and trading down to collect a shit ton of middle and late picks is not the way to get "impact" players.....period

They may hit on one or two(if they're lucky), but that wont be the difference...

What is Your Opinion On Hue & The Browns Rebuild

Not enough data yet. Too early to tell.

Dont need time or data to have an opinion of what you're seeing....it's just about how you feel at this point....

I always have an opinion......but usually wait to draw conclusions....

^ this!!!

i agree it's too early. i know my stance here seems pretty anti-hue but it's more anti-FO than anything.

Im with you there......not a fan of the FO.....(at all).....Hue seems ok and there is a lot I do like about him(mostly his staff).... but I see a number of troubling things right out of the gate, which concern me....and the fact that so many instantly declared him a genius and our savior is maddening.....if he was such an offensive genius, then why has he been a position coach for 13 out of 16 seasons???....and a DB and special teams coach just a couple years ago???.....coachiung DB's seems like a waste of offensive genius and QB godliness, eh?

Twice we have lost players to injury, only to declare the back up a better player.....examples would be when RGIII went down and we ALL were happy to see McCown become the starter....why???....cause he was the better player in camp AND on the field......same EXACT thing with Erving going down and the team improving because of it.....so my question is WHY are we starting shittier players than we have on the bench(Shobert fits the mold too)....because those are samples of stubborn and poor coaching choices....

And why do we pass so much, when we lead the league in rushing?.....another head scratcher.....

FO needs to step up THIS YEAR and do something in free agency that at least makes it seem like they are actually trying to win....

again, some players didn't want to stay on the losing merrygoround.

so they wanted to go elsewhere. Do we really need to cry over spilt milk forever and

27 Sundays?

Some players were not a fit. If you keep adding a quart of honey to a gallon of chickencrap,

you think it's ever going to be a good thing for a change?

You have to keep the parts of the team that fit, and draft and sign other players that fit.

And by "fit", it's about work ethic/love for the game/football iq/character/ THEN talent for the position.

And yes, it's a younger team, had injuries, and they still nearly beat miami and the redskins.

but they have been running the ball, passing, making big plays on both sides of the ball..

and they leave it all out on the field.

Hue and the new front office are doing a fine job.

The Browns needed an attitude change...the moaners and deadweight were cut or released.

The Browns needed more quality depth...14 draft picks later the depth is of higher quality than the past several seasons.

The Browns used to be a chore to watch...every week this season has been engaging and exciting.

This team is on the right path. What this year's spate of injuries has told us is that you can never have enough quality depth. I expect the Browns to continue to build through the draft for this purpose and, more specifically, invest heavily in players that can get to the quarterback - the glaring weakness in this rebuild. Watch out for a Joe Thomas trade for a 1st and a pass rusher...

First it might be a bit early to judge Hue on almost anything quite yet especially factoring in the unpredictable things like injuries and bonehead players.

Just look at the 1999-present coaches, plans and their and the FO at the time:

Hue Jackson NFL 2016- 0-4* (0.00) *updated week 4

Mike Pettine NFL 2014-15 10-22-0 (0.313)

Rob Chudzinski NFL 2013 4-12-0 (0.250)

Pat Shurmur NFL 2011-12 9-23-0 (0.281)

Eric Mangini NFL 2009-10 10-22-0 (0.3125)

Romeo Crennel NFL 2005-08 24-40-0 (0.375)

Terry Robiskie NFL 2004* 1-4-0 (0.200) Butch Davis NFL 2001-04 24-35-0 (0.407) 0-1-0 (0.000) 24-36-0 (0.400) <--- the most successful since '99?

Chris Palmer NFL 1999-2000 5-27-0 (0.156)

So what will be the yardstick measurements and timetable for Hue? I hope we're not down to using a stopwatch like they use for 40 yard dash times......

Wow Hue and the BROWNS are just a handful of bonehead or just stupid plays from maybe a 3-1 start and everybody...well maybe many calling him a miracle worker. Obviously realistically this team will need a GOOD draft or two to right this ship.

The Browns can make a lot of big plays, on both sides of the ball.

That is a huge change from the past. They will start winning, but it's

tough with injuries, youth, and young player mistakes.

Once and for all, since 99, the Browns are on their way to being a genuine team

that is competitive, exciting to watch. And they will start winning. Look at the last

two games.

Things are headed in an excellent direction.

The Browns can make a lot of big plays, on both sides of the ball.

That is a huge change from the past. They will start winning, but it's

tough with injuries, youth, and young player mistakes.

Once and for all, since 99, the Browns are on their way to being a genuine team

that is competitive, exciting to watch. And they will start winning. Look at the last

two games.

Things are headed in an excellent direction.

+100000

Wow, a post that could've come straight out of my finger tips........ It's pretty damn rare on this forum these days.

again, some players didn't want to stay on the losing merrygoround.

so they wanted to go elsewhere. Do we really need to cry over spilt milk forever and

27 Sundays?

Some players were not a fit. If you keep adding a quart of honey to a gallon of chickencrap,

you think it's ever going to be a good thing for a change?

Im not talking about old players.....read what I said...

Im talking about guys like Schobert starting over Orchard....or RGIII starting ahead of McCown.....or Erving playing when we clearly had better options....not old stuff....right now stuff...

THATS why, when these guys have gotten hurt, we've gotten better....cause some of the wrong guys have been playing all along ....

Cal...the question was what we thought of Hue, so is answering honestly considered whining over spilt milk...?

Speaking of Hue....I also wonder why he doesnt run his best player....or stick with the hot hand.....in fact, today, the whole football world is asking the same thing.....offense 101....stick with the hot hand....

We have a guy(Crow), who is currently the top runner in the league and coach only gives him the ball 15 times.....and instead, goes with his third or forth back in a critical situation, when your hot back has only 12 carries....terrible decision making and use of your limited talent...

There's a positive article about the Browns on nflspinzone.com by Dan Smelzer

Led by new front office and coaching staff, the Cleveland Browns are the one team in the league who are clearly undergoing a deep rebuilding process. They built their team around young players and future draft capital, knowing that they would not be Super Bowl contenders in the 2016 NFL season.

This was a smart move by Cleveland. Instead of trying their best to go 7-9 or 8-8, the Browns are better off letting the bottom drop out of this team. They need more young, impact players, and this complete rebuild is the best way to make that happen.

In my eyes, other NFL teams should be following suit and would be wise to start doing so sooner rather than later. In-season trading is rare in the NFL, but it could be a great opportunity for these franchises to kick-start a much-needed rebuild

The nflspinzone.com also had another article called "The Transformation Of Terrelle Pryor. It's a positive

account of how he's turned it around since his Ohio State Days and suspension which led him to the NFL

GO BROWNS

Does anyone agree that this rebuild is more important than going 7-9 every year? And do you think Hue will finally get Cleveland competitive again?

rebuilding is not included with bad play calling...whoever made that call in the redzone to a fullback who had not carried the ball all yr is completely a nut case. when you have crowell slicing up the skins d. that turned the game around. from there everything snowballed in the wrong direction. johnsons fumble, normans pick etc etc..the d is one of the worse i have ever seen, ever. we have a good shot at 0-16 which if we do, i am not comfortable with that at all...I don't care if we are rebuilding or not. If we don't win at least 3 games, and there is alot of penalties, bad play calling etc etc, no i am not comfortable with that at all...

HueJax was pretty successful running Hill,Berkhead & Bernard at Cinny..Ask Hill..Just Don't fumble the ball, when your called on. Hue don't carry it too..

Im not talking about old players.....read what I said...

Im talking about guys like Schobert starting over Orchard....or RGIII starting ahead of McCown.....or Erving playing when we clearly had better options....not old stuff....right now stuff...

THATS why, when these guys have gotten hurt, we've gotten better....cause some of the wrong guys have been playing all along ....

Cal...the question was what we thought of Hue, so is answering honestly considered whining over spilt milk...?

Speaking of Hue....I also wonder why he doesnt run his best player....or stick with the hot hand.....in fact, today, the whole football world is asking the same thing.....offense 101....stick with the hot hand....

We have a guy(Crow), who is currently the top runner in the league and coach only gives him the ball 15 times.....and instead, goes with his third or forth back in a critical situation, when your hot back has only 12 carries....terrible decision making and use of your limited talent...

yeah i can say that i have to eat crow NOW on a couple of points. before this year i thought crowell was a bum. he had a better oline the last 2 years than this and he did absolutely nothing. now the line is depleted and he's all-of-a-sudden herschell walker. so props to hue and the running scheme and hat's off to crow himself.

and cody fucking kessler. wtf? i think i'd take him at his best today than some other vet QBs who shit their diapers today. maybe hue is the QB whisperer? too early to say. but very impressed in a loss until of course the last how many minutes when they fell apart with turnovers. but i never thought they'd win anyways so.......

Hue has my vote of confidence. From the moment he took direct personal responsibility for the Kessler pick instead of the overused "we as an organization thought" cliché. Let alone have I never seen a Cleveland coach say anything like this but I have never seen any coach ever put their personal stamp on an unpopular pick like that. And so far it's paid dividends. Those who still scream wentz after 4 games probably will after 4 years.

It's too early for me to have a definite opinion on the rebuild yet. They have only done the first half of the rebuild. The tearing down of the team is pretty much complete now.

But the rebuilding part has yet to take place.The next draft will go far towards that part of things.

As for Hue, He has the guys playing hard, I guess, but he has made some questionable play calls, and very questionable picks for his QB's

If this is truly a 3-5 year plan, I hope Jimmy gives Hue that time.

DL and OL aren't very good and QB is still a question. Kinda hard to rebuild when those spots are weak

right now, it all looks the same. blown leads, comebacks that fall short...stupid playcalling. it looks like this will be a 3-5 yr process if hue makes it to three...

If this is truly a 3-5 year plan, I hope Jimmy gives Hue that time.

Jimmy really is the wild card that rarely gets considered.....and he probably has the most culpability in all the problems weve experienced thus far.....

So, rather than relying on what Hue does or doesnt do, it may really boil down to what Jimmy does or doesnt do....

I'm "ALL IN" regardless of W-L record. In Training Camp & thus far this season, this Team is practicing & playing at a much higher energy level. They also are playing a different schedule, so please don't start comparing this year's record to prior years. While we have lost 4, this Team doesn't quit. When was the last time the Browns came back from a 14 point deficit? Granted, they lost the game, but it WASN'T over as soon as they were 2 scores down. This is just one thing that gives me hope. There is no QUIT in this Team.

Mud, I really believe Jimmy is also "ALL IN" on Hue, but only time will tell for sure.

Mike

Mike....I dont trust Jimmy.....he was all in on all of em.....

John,

I can see your doubts, but Hue was/is 1st choice & not only for the Browns. He was in demand beyond Cleveland, CHOSE the Browns, & has brought an increased intensity & energy to the Browns. I think Jimmy sees that, but only time will tell, so I defer once again to my avatar. ;)

Mike

Lets not forget Jimmy cut his teeth with the Squeelers organization. When he bought the team one of his statements was how he what he called the " steeler way" of running a team, and he would use his experience to forge a "Browns way". I hope he was talking about longevity in the HC and FO.

I hope he was talking about longevity in the HC and FO.

Dude i like to break your balls as a joke but REALLY? Were you on planet earth since haslam bought the team? Cuz longevity is a word I really doubt is in jimma's vocabulary.

Are there members on here really talking about cutting ANOTHER FUCKING COACH already, after just 4 regular season games? Amazing. No wonder our team has been in the shitter for nearly a quarter century, with owners and GM's thinking exactly like you, and turning over head coaches every 2-3 years. And now were reduced to wanting to pitch a coach after only 4 fucking games? Pathetic.

The Browns FO and Hue Jackson did a scorched earth campaign in the offseason to free up cap space and collect draft picks to rebuild a team with. How else did you think this season was going to play out? That we'd go from 3-13 to the Superbowl in one offseason? Get real. The Browns are doing it the right way for a change, by having a decent HC in Hue Jackson and rebuilding the team from the draft. That shit doesn't happen overnight.

For example, lets look at some of the most successful coaches of all time, and how their first few seasons with their teams went:

Tom Landry: Hired by the Dallas Cowboys in 1960:

1960: 0-11-1
1961: 4-9-1
1962: 5-8-1
1963: 4-10
1964: 5-8-1
1965: 7-7
1966: 10-3-1, made it to NFL Championship game
1967: 9-5, made it to NFL Championship game
1968: 12-2, made it to conference championship game
1969: 11-2-1, made it to conference championship game
1970: 10-4, lost Superbowl V
1971: 11-3, Superbowl VI Champions

Chuck Noll: Hired by the Pittsburgh Steelers in 1969:

1969: 1-13
1970: 5-9
1971: 6-8
1972: 11-3, made it to AFC Championship game
1973: 10-4, lost divisional playoff
1974: 10-3-1, Superbowl IX Champions

Bll Walsh: Hired by the San Francisco 49ers in 1979:

1979: 2-14
1980: 6-10
1981: 13-3, Superbowl XVI Champions

Bill Parcells: Hired by the New York Giants in 1983:

1983: 3-12-1
1984: 9-7, lost divisional playoff
1985: 10-6, lost divisional playoff
1986: 14-2, Superbowl XXI Champions

Jimmy Johnson: Hired by the Dallas Cowboys in 1989:

1989: 1-15
1990: 7-9
1991: 11-5, Wildcard Playoff Victory
1992: 13-3, Superbowl XXVII Champions

If any of these coaches had coached the Browns today, with those records their first few years, some of you motherfuckers on here would be chomping at the bit to have them fired after their first fucking season.

Are there members on here really talking about cutting ANOTHER FUCKING COACH already, after just 4 regular season games? Amazing. No wonder our team has been in the shitter for nearly a quarter century, with owners and GM's thinking exactly like you, and turning over head coaches every 2-3 years. And now were reduced to wanting to pitch a coach after only 4 fucking games? Pathetic.

The Browns FO and Hue Jackson did a scorched earth campaign in the offseason to free up cap space and collect draft picks to rebuild a team with. How else did you think this season was going to play out?

Well said ^

The Browns FO and Hue Jackson did a scorched earth campaign in the offseason to free up cap space and collect draft picks to rebuild a team with. How else did you think this season was going to play out? That we'd go from 3-13 to the Superbowl in one offseason? Get real. The Browns are doing it the right way for a change, by having a decent HC in Hue Jackson and rebuilding the team from the draft. That shit doesn't happen overnight.

For example, lets look at some of the most successful coaches of all time, and how their first few seasons with their teams went:

If any of these coaches had coached the Browns today, with those records their first few years, some of you motherfuckers on here would be chomping at the bit to have them fired after their first fucking season.

Well documented case for retention for the long run. My mantra for the Browns is Give It Time. I know that is hard for such a long suffering fan base, but true nonetheless.

One thing I noticed in all the examples was improvement in the second year. That is what I would be looking for.

Dude i like to break your balls as a joke but REALLY? Were you on planet earth since haslam bought the team? Cuz longevity is a word I really doubt is in jimma's vocabulary.

I was thinking that maybe NOW he has found his long term coach and will begin an era of stability.

Good point.

Quotes...

... can be...

... edited.

Archived