THE BROWNS BOARD

What's your first two days draft board look like? Round and position.

wargograw

I don't think it necessarily changes the draft plans, but it does give certain room to look at other avenues now. Again, if I can't find a dominant edge rusher - having someone that can play along the line for interior pressure in our 34, 33 and 43 looks is the next best thing. Hence why I'm caught up with Allen at the moment. Accounting for interior pressure is a motherfucker and very hard to scheme against.

Having Ogbah, Allen, Shelton and Nassib would be a very solid front, backed up by Kirksey Davis and Collins. Like it. Obviously that's until teams just throw 95% of the downs.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd be happy with Allen or Garrett, and I think they are EXACTLY what we need. We need a disruptive defense, and people that can get to the QB and penetrate the line. My biggest fear that whatever draft pick we DO get, will be worth so much that our analytics minded front office won't be able to help themselves, and will trade back. I hope I'm wrong...I don't want a trade if we can get either of those two. Obviously it's VERY early right now, but still...Allen and Garrett are blue chippers.

Of course, all of this completely depends on our QB situation. If Cody's play drops off (which I expect it to...at least for a few games), then I'm not so sure we can pass on Trubisky. I expect Cody to drop off because it would be almost historic if he played the last 8 games and finished with a 4-1 TD to INT ratio, with 67% completion. It just doesn't happen often, and certainly not for the Browns. What I mean by that is, a QB's stats go down drastically when their team is down in the score. Mainly because the other team knows you have to pass, and they're read for it. We're a bad team, and we're going to be down virtually all game, every game. That makes it tough for ANY QB, especially a rookie.

Having Ogbah, Allen, Shelton and Nassib would be a very solid front, backed up by Kirksey Davis and Collins. Like it. Obviously that's until teams just throw 95% of the downs.

Have to admit... that 4-3, front 7 looks good "on paper".

As a 3-4 alternative... Allen, Shelton, Bryant backed by Collins, Kirksey, Davis and Ogbah ain't bad.

And in either case we can always draft 5 DBs for extended auditions...

Of course, all of this completely depends on our QB situation.

Bingo...

You mean like we did WRs this year?

Sure... DB may be the position that best lends itself to drafting a handful, adding a few UDFAs and seeing what shakes out.

With Collins in the fold im still thinking 33 looks might be something you'll see more of.

Do we have a SS/LB hybrid candidate? Maybe Reynolds?

Posted this in the wrong thread. Moved it to here.

So...Sheldon Richardson might be a bit disgruntled.

Wish I didn't have a job that consumed my life so I could hear about that sooner. If this team is a looking for a badass 3 tech... good God would he be it. At 25 years old too so plenty left in the tank.

edit: This would scratch Allen off my board and at that point its BPA between QB, RT and edge rusher.

I think this draft is going to be all about DEFENSE and OL. Will we take a QB? Meh...I'm not sure. It probably depends on how we feel about Kevin Hogan. If we like him, we don't really need to draft one. Is McCown back? I don't remember...but I'd love to have him backing up Cody. Again, defense is what we need help with. Pass rushers and DB's, that's what it comes down to. We're getting toasted on the back end, and we're not getting to the QB. It's a pretty loaded draft for DB, but not as much on the OL. I'd bet money that we go DE/OLB, DB, OL, and Safety with our first 4 picks.

Wish I didn't have a job that consumed my life so I could hear about that sooner.

... or you could just read the posts you quote all the way thru... ;)

Not sure why the Collins acquisition would change a draft plan that targets an edge rusher... It's not as if Collins is a sack machine.

What he is is a 3-down LB... make that OLB because whether 3-4 or 4-3 that's where I see him primarily. So if we sign him, then that's one less LB to shop for.

As for the 3-4/4-3 debate... that currently is tipped by the DEs we can put on the field. Our best ones are currently better suited for the 4-3 IMO. Des Bryant's presumed return next season certainly would improve our 3-4 look. I half believed we'd take a shot at landing Richardson from the Jets to continue a move in that direction.

I think this draft is going to be all about DEFENSE and OL. Will we take a QB? Meh...I'm not sure. It probably depends on how we feel about Kevin Hogan. If we like him, we don't really need to draft one. Is McCown back?

Yes, McC is signed thru 2017.

Forget Hogan... the biggest variable is how Kess looks in his remaining starts.

Couple Hybrid candidates showed on the LSU D tonite...

Unfortunately for the LSU O, they continue to play without a QB...

Harder to pick out a single player on the BAMA D as they gang tackled all nite long...

I swear they suited up Henry tonite on the other side of the ball... Bo Scarborough is a freakin' load.

And I know I am not teh first to say this, but this Hurts kid from my old employment, stompin' grounds (Channelview, TX) is going to be really something in another two years...

Couple Hybrid candidates showed on the LSU D tonite...

Unfortunately for the LSU O, they continue to play without a QB...

Harder to pick out a single player on the BAMA D as they gang tackled all nite long...

I swear they suited up Henry tonite on the other side of the ball... Bo Scarborough is a freakin' load.

And I know I am not teh first to say this, but this Hurts kid from my old employment, stompin' grounds (Channelview, TX) is going to be really something in another two years...

They did. Told you this was the best Bama team I'd ever seen. I still like the speed and quickness to the ball of Tim Williams, but Allen is a defensive load to stop. Ain't no slow people on that entire defense. What a nightmare.

after weekend review... mid 1st round(Philly)--CB-Des King-Iowa//SS/FS-Jamal Adams-LSU//or Malik Hooker-OSU...Top 2nd rd.TE-Jake Butt-Mich. or WR-Corey Davis W.Mich.. mid 2nd rnd.(titians) I've moved C-Pat Elflein-OSU ahead of C-Ethan Pocic-LSU..In 3rd round--Got to give my local kid some :wub: WR-ZAY JONES-ECU(look him up fellas) or OT-Connor McDermott-UCLA. A later entry at OT Ark..Dan Skipper..Early, but at-least I waited till NCAA week 10 for my 1st draft post B)

after weekend review... mid 1st round(Philly)--CB-Des King-Iowa//SS/FS-Jamal Adams-LSU//or Malik Hooker-OSU...Top 2nd rd.TE-Jake Butt-Mich. or WR-Corey Davis W.Mich.. mid 2nd rnd.(titians) I've moved C-Pat Elflein-OSU ahead of C-Ethan Pocic-LSU..In 3rd round--Got to give my local kid some :wub: WR-ZAY JONES-ECU(look him up fellas) or OT-Connor McDermott-UCLA. A later entry at OT Ark..Dan Skipper..Early, but at-least I waited till NCAA week 10 for my 1st draft post B)

I like Malik Hooker too Gumby. I'm not sure how far into mid round 1 he can be had though. He's got some great instincts blending well with his athleticism. I wonder if he's related to one of our former WRs - Fair Hooker...

Yes. The short parts of the game I caught, he was all over the place making plays. If you caught more of the game than I did - were you impressed with him?

Could not avoid being impressed... Some was "scheme", but the kid flew and was a dead sure hitter. Plus the announcers were drooling over him...

Striking game comment was that "we" were watching 16 NFL draftees... 9 BAMA and 7 LSU...

Archived