THE BROWNS BOARD

Ogbahs leading us in sacks...

Clevfan4life

In the words of said Trump---------Believe me there is no one currently on the Browns team that will provide any competition to Garrett as a starter from day 1. :lol:

Not where he is right now. That could change obviously but i can only pass judgement on what i see right now. Allen would have a better chance starting for the browns day 1 cause he's stronger.

And this is assuming the team that drafts garrett plays him mostly as a 4-3 DE. If we were to draft him and make him an olb'er that delivery window expands

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like these two guys, and I like your apologetics for Browns players, but you sound insane.

I'm not homering for Browns players. I've seen some real improvement in those two guys and if they keep up that development curve there's nothing i see from Garrett right now that says he'd warrant taking a starting position away from either of those two "in the 4-3". In the 3-4 looks yes he could possibly be starting depending on what happens with Collins. I'm not shitting on Garrett. I'm just saying after a year of play and two offseasons of development both Og and Naz are going to be further along than him. I dunno maybe by midseason he'd be starting. Bosa didn't start right away either but that probably had more to do with his holdout and hamstring. But again, not to homer for OSU players...Bosa was more NFL ready when he entered the draft than Garrett looks to be. From what I see Garrett's arms aren't as stiff as they need to be yet. He gets em folded in when he's in close quarters with a tackle. He's got a great dip but no rip when he goes around the edge. He just needs some more developing is all but he's obviously a ridiculous athlete. But so was Wimbley, so was Mingo. We've drafted ridiculous athletes before that didn't pan out.

If there's no really good QB in this draft, than i'm fine with Garrett. But "right now"...i'd take Peppers numero uno. Peppers is going to be one of the nastiest free safeties the NFL has ever seen mark my words. He's too small to play MLB'er but a free safety that can come up and essentially be an extra LB'er..he's going to be special. I'd be happy with a Garrett/Peppers draft if our pick from the Eagles is high enough.

Speaking of homegrown talent, some trivia. An observation I just had is that I bet there are very few players in the NFL that have played their high school, college, and pro all in the same state.

Many get 2 out of 3 like Kosar...Played high school ball near Youngstown, and the Browns...but went to Miami.

Terrell Pryor...Ohio State and the Browns but played high school ball in Pa.

Big Ben, Jack Lambert, James Harrison...all played high school and college ball in Ohio, but are Steelers.

Right now I could only think of one to have completed the trifecta.... HOF'er Jack Ham. Played high school ball in Johnstown, Pa., Penn State, and the Steelers.

If there is anyone here that can come up with players that meet that trifecta its Gip.

Waddya say Gip?

Yeah I know Charlie Frye but the subject is homegrown "talent"...star players or players that make or have made a difference.

Your question is, as I gather it: has anyone been played HS, college and Pro football in essentially the same town that has made the HOF?

If you consider Ohio St. part of the Cleveland area, there have been a couple for the Browns:

A. Dante Lavelli: Hudson High, OSU, Browns, HOF

B. Paul Warfield: Warren Harding HS, OSU, Browns HOF

While we don't include really the Columbus area in the Cleveland area...Bill Willis, Columbus East, OSU, Browns.

Lou Groza is from Martin Ferry's....on the far edge perhaps of NE Ohio. Right where I-70 meets the river.

One other guy, not a Brown off the top of my head: Dick Butkus. From Chicago. Played at Illinois, HOF for the Bears.

Archived