THE BROWNS BOARD

Call your shot. OSU VS UM

Browns149

I would guess Jim Irsay will be calling as soon as the season is over. If not sooner

Andrew Luck, who harbutt coached and recruited in college, and then the team he had the only success in the NFL as a player

If he stays at um and the Colts go with a different coach, it will be a SHOCK!!!!!!

Interesting. That certainly is a place with a pro job that could go after him. Do you think: A. that Caldwell would be fired B. that Harbaugh would contemplate it at this point? (I don't....maybe in another 2-3-4 years....right now I think he feels he has to win at least one OSU/Mich Game.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Harbaugh isn't going anywhere. He lives on the same street Bo did. His dad is his neighbor. His kids are going to school where he did as a child and he has another kid on the way. We can outpay anyone. The only people that think he'll go to the NFL are people that know nothing about what they're talking about.

Meyer started this back and forth with a headstart on Harbaugh, obviously. Harbaugh has been killing it in recruiting, and we'll soon be able to match OSU's talent. We took this OSU team, in Cbus, to two overtimes. In a game we should have one and got bad calls in. We're clearly progressing.

It sucks we lost, I hate it, but there is no need to go full blown ignorant OSU fan on this.

You are becoming about as whiny...and ignorant.. a bitch as Harbaugh about the penalties. Face it....this is the best chance you had in about the next 3-4 year period. OSU is killing recruiting even more so. And them going to the CFP can only help. You may have progressed as far as you are going to go.

And living on Bo's street means nothing. I am right here, right now sitting in Bo's hometown. Does that mean I will stay here and coach where Bo coached?

But, I agree, Harbaugh won't be going anywhere real soon......but he is a high strung horse with a short attention span. He may move on in a few years...but not this year.

I'm guessing harbutt thinks this way...... He made it to numerous NFC title games and a Super Bowl, with a sub standard QB.

If he goes to the Colts, he gets a way way better QB, and he's friends with the owner.

Money isn't a factor, IMO. He will make the same or more in the pro's.

I think it will be much easier to win the AFC south then it will be to beat Urban and OSU.

You can lose 2-6 games and win a division title in the NFL. You lose 2 games in college and you're playing in the gatorbowl

Again, fair point. Too many Gator Bowls for him...and Michigan alums may turn on him like the last couple of coaches they had there.

I am saying "full" because this will be the first class he started recruiting "from the beginning" at Michigan, but not the first class through one season of him as a HC (last year).

College coaches start scouting and contacting guys in their Jr year or earlier. This class would be the guys that Harbaugh would be able to do that with. That is why I am saying "full"

I don't think having the name "Harbaugh" associated with a recruit helps that much. This was a talent laden senior laden Michigan team...none of whom were recruited by Harbaugh. I don't think the talent level that UM has been getting under Harbaugh is any better than what they got before him. There are going to be a number of top round draft picks coming out of Michigan this year......are you saying they suck in comparison to what is coming in? I don't think so.

Yet, they play a 60 minute game....not a 30 minute game. OSU has done this before.

But, note, here are some vital stats that may be telling:

First downs: OSU 23, Mich 16

Rush yards: OSU 246 Mich 118

Turnovers: OSU 1 Mich 3

You win the first down game, the rushing game by more than double, and the TO game....you win.

Also, 4th quarter time of possession:

OSU 11:07 Mich 3:53

You control the ball in the 4th quarter of a tight game...and you often come out on top.

Mich won the passing yards game: 219 to 124.

All I am saying is that so much for the theory that TUN dominated this game.

Overall time of possession was just about even.

Michigan dominated the 1st half, and were at worst even in the 3rd. We got gassed in the 4th.

But that calls back to not having the depth OSU does. Which calls back to it only being year 2 of Harbaugh and Meyer's head start.

If OSU needed 2 OT, at home, and controversial/incorrect ref calls to win, we're in a good spot going forward.

I don't think having the name "Harbaugh" associated with a recruit helps that much. This was a talent laden senior laden Michigan team...none of whom were recruited by Harbaugh. I don't think the talent level that UM has been getting under Harbaugh is any better than what they got before him. There are going to be a number of top round draft picks coming out of Michigan this year......are you saying they suck in comparison to what is coming in? I don't think so.

To be fair, you have no idea what you're talking about lol. You're making claims about Michigan's recruiting when I guarantee you know nothing about it.

Of course none of the seniors were recruited by Harbaugh, he's only been here less than two years.

The talent level is definitely better,lol. More importantly, it's being developed. All of these NFL prospects, that has a ton to do with the last two years of coaching they got.

We were hurt by a lack of depth, which is just Harbaugh not being here that long yet.

Again, fair point. Too many Gator Bowls for him...and Michigan alums may turn on him like the last couple of coaches they had there.

We aren't going to the Gator bowl

Do you have any understanding of the situation behind our last coaches? How they were hired. Why they were fired?

He isn't going to the NFL hahaha

You are becoming about as whiny...and ignorant.. a bitch as Harbaugh about the penalties. Face it....this is the best chance you had in about the next 3-4 year period. OSU is killing recruiting even more so. And them going to the CFP can only help. You may have progressed as far as you are going to go.

And living on Bo's street means nothing. I am right here, right now sitting in Bo's hometown. Does that mean I will stay here and coach where Bo coached?

But, I agree, Harbaugh won't be going anywhere real soon......but he is a high strung horse with a short attention span. He may move on in a few years...but not this year.

Are you trying to be an idiot? In what world does you living in Bo's hometown have any fucking significance here?

Why is this the best chance we'll have? In year freaking two. Really?

Michigan dominated the 1st half, and were at worst even in the 3rd. We got gassed in the 4th.

But that calls back to not having the depth OSU does. Which calls back to it only being year 2 of Harbaugh and Meyer's head start.

If you were dominating the entire first half and some of the third qtr.....why would depth have anything to do with it. It is OSU that should have been getting gassed due to UMs time of possession, not the other way around.

If OSU needed 2 OT, at home, and controversial/incorrect ref calls to win, we're in a good spot going forward.

Except....you lose 17 starters...from what I understand. Where does that put you in relation to OSU. You had the far more experienced team.....with the less experienced team, you get what you had the last few year: an OSU romp.

To be fair, you have no idea what you're talking about lol. You're making claims about Michigan's recruiting when I guarantee you know nothing about it.

Of course none of the seniors were recruited by Harbaugh, he's only been here less than two years.

I know everything about it. You claim that UM is going to go apeshit better than OSU just because Harbaugh is there.

I say bullshit. Even if UM improves their recruiting...they are still not doing better at it than Ohio St.

The talent level is definitely better,lol. More importantly, it's being developed. All of these NFL prospects, that has a ton to do with the last two years of coaching they got.

If the talent level is so much better...then why was Harbaugh starting 17 seniors....guys he didn't recruit...over the younger guys he did recruit.

I agree he has coached them much better than the previous guy. I am just not sure your younger guys are any better than the guys you have leaving...pure talent wise.

You are only expecting...hoping that is the case in order to close the gap. You are simply being Dusty Springfield.

We were hurt by a lack of depth, which is just Harbaugh not being here that long yet.

We aren't going to the Gator bowl

Do you have any understanding of the situation behind our last coaches? How they were hired. Why they were fired?

He isn't going to the NFL hahaha

No, but it might be the Outback Bowl......(probably not as good a bowl). Big Ten Champ goes to Rose Bowl...if not in CFP. So UM won't get the Rose.

But they might get the Orange. The Orange gets to pick from the highest rated team from SEC/Big Ten or Notre Dame.

So, that will likely be Michigan. (assuming they don't make the CFP). No SEC schools good enough. Nor ND.

As for why your previous coaches were fired? They were losers (and more than just losing to OSU). Yes, Harbaugh is an upgrade there.....and yes, he isn't going to the NFL...not just yet. But it could happen before too much longer.

Rumors like the Indy job could start to float.

Are you trying to be an idiot? In what world does you living in Bo's hometown have any fucking significance here?

Why is this the best chance we'll have? In year freaking two. Really?

In what world does the street that Bo live on in Michigan have any fucking significance? You are the one that brought that up as one factor in your justification for why he wouldn't leave. And that is just as absurd. (You really didn't recognize my statement as being a joke? An absurdity...on the level of your "he lives on Bo's street" statement)

You said that Harbaugh's kids go to school where Bo's kids went to school. Well, hell my Dad went to school at the same school as Bo....does that mean I am going to get a job coaching at UM.

Another absurdity.

As for UM's best chance for the next few years: A. You had a senior laden experienced team...yet you got beat by the less experienced team. In the next couple of years it will continue to be OSU that has the more experienced...more talented....team.

OSU didn't need your so-called ref calls, they only needed harbutt on the opposite sideline and a QB turning the ball over 3 times.

Except....you lose 17 starters...from what I understand. Where does that put you in relation to OSU. You had the far more experienced team.....with the less experienced team, you get what you had the last few year: an OSU romp.

From what I gather, Ohio State only must lose 4 seniors: OC Pat Elflein, backup WRs Dontrel Wilson and Corey Smith...and their punter.

Others that could go include Barrett, Samuel, Hooker, Billy Price, Garreon Conley, Tyquan Lewis, Raekwon McMillan.

Hooke said he is staying. Barrett should stay. McMillan would likely be a first rounder...so he likely goes.

Holy smokes the 10 years war is certainly back!

Not to be confused with Tressel's 9-1 record vs m, best of any coach in the history of "The Game". (waiting for JT backlash explosion :lol: )

True story: woody's Xbox 360 profile used to have a signature that said "Hoke > Meyer". He does not have the ability to be objective on this matter.

:lol:

True story: woody's Xbox 360 profile used to have a signature that said "Hoke > Meyer". He does not have the ability to be objective on this matter.

Started serious. Stayed as a joke.

Learned that Denard carried that team, and Hoke was in over his head.

But to act liken nothing I say on the topic matters, but you are all impartial, is fucking hilarious. I'm being perfectly damn reasonable and level headed. Again, if I am stating any facts that are incorrect, let me know.

Due to a lack of better judgement, I am going to re-enter the thread and respond to all of Gipper's posts in one reply. I am sure, by the time I am done reading his responses, I am going to be in a state of disbelief and frustration. Here we go:

We lose our starting HB, but have a pretty deep group there (they all got a lot of time). Both WRs (which hurts). #1 TE, which hurts. 3 OL. 3 DL, which hurts. MLB. 2 Cbs. 2 Ss. K/P. Add Peppers. That's 17. Definitely a sizable group.

What you have to understand though is these guys were all Hoke recruits. They spent 2 or 3 years being coached and developed by that staff, and that staff showed the inability to really develop many positions. A Sr(RS) OL leaving is a MUCH bigger loss if he's spent all 5 years with Harbaugh, than the situation we have now. Our OL was the weakest part of our team. Losing 3 Srs in the group looks much worse on paper than it actually is.

This all plays back to the depth and talent points I was making earlier. Which ties into Meyer being in year 5, and Harbaugh year 2. This is a Sr heavy team, that doesn't mean all of those seniors are very good. Many will be easily replaced by the recruits Harbaugh has brought in and developed.

2015 was a romp. Our DC was interviewing for Maryland that week and didn't show up at all to stop your O

2014 blew open in the 4th

2013 was a 1 pt win when our QB had a broken foot

2012 was a 5 pt win

Just sayin

Even if UM improves their recruiting...they are still not doing better at it than Ohio St.

Based on what? Why would Michigan not be able to match OSU in recruiting?

If the talent level is so much better...then why was Harbaugh starting 17 seniors....guys he didn't recruit...over the younger guys he did recruit. [./quote]

Because there is something to be said for game experience and more time in a college weight room. A team full of Harbaugh recruits, coached up for 4+ years, will be better and have more depth tho. That's the point.

I agree he has coached them much better than the previous guy. I am just not sure your younger guys are any better than the guys you have leaving...pure talent wise.

You are only expecting...hoping that is the case in order to close the gap. You are simply being Dusty Springfield.

I know some on here don't like to admit it, but recruiting rankings do mean something. Even outside of that, we saw how much more these players progressed under Harbaugh than Hoke. It would stand to reason that, all else equal, a player with 4 years of Harbaugh's staff will be better than a player with 2 years in Harbaugh's staff.

As for why your previous coaches were fired? They were losers (and more than just losing to OSU). Yes, Harbaugh is an upgrade there.....and yes, he isn't going to the NFL...not just yet. But it could happen before too much longer.

Rumors like the Indy job could start to float.

RRod came in as an outsider, and people within the program did not like that from the beginning. He was behind the eight ball with some to start. I wanted to keep he another year, because we were progressing as a team each year. We were obviously going to be terrible to start, because of the drastic change in play styles and empty cupboard he was working with. But, he also couldn't recruit defense, get a good defense out there, or hire a good DC. RRod is an offensive genius... but needed help on D.

The Hoke era was more an issue with our AD than Hoke, which we found out near the end. Hoke was in over his head. No one really "turned" on Hoke. They turned on Brandon. Or they had turned a while ago and instead became vocal about it.

Harbaugh is clearly an upgrade over both.

There were rumors about Harbaugh still going to Oakland even after it was being widely reported he was going to Michigan. NFL reporters just couldn't believe someone would leave the NFL for college.

Sure, Harbaugh could leave for the NFL. And Meyer could leave for ND. He isn't going to Indy this offseason....

In what world does the street that Bo live on in Michigan have any fucking significance? You are the one that brought that up as one factor in your justification for why he wouldn't leave. And that is just as absurd. (You really didn't recognize my statement as being a joke? An absurdity...on the level of your "he lives on Bo's street" statement)

You clearly don't know much about Harbaugh. The man idolizes Bo. He walks the same path to work each day that Bo walks. He does the walk to Bo's grave each year. He dresses like him. He tries to embody him whenever he can. So yes, the fact he lives right where Bo used to does pplay a huge significance.

You said that Harbaugh's kids go to school where Bo's kids went to school. Well, hell my Dad went to school at the same school as Bo....does that mean I am going to get a job coaching at UM.

Another absurdity.

No. Harbaugh's kids go to school where HE used to go to school.

The "connection" in your quote literally makes no sense. If you want to admit you're purposely being absurd (an idiot) again, go for it. But it literally means nothing in the context of this conversation.

As for UM's best chance for the next few years: A. You had a senior laden experienced team...yet you got beat by the less experienced team. In the next couple of years it will continue to be OSU that has the more experienced...more talented....team.

I've already explained to you why counting the number of Sr's on our team, and assume we'll be down now because they're leaving, doesn't really make sense, is lazy, and shows a lack of understanding for the situation. I've already told you that Harbaugh will be recruiting right at the same level of OSU. Very soon we'll have the same level of talent and depth.

I tried to do that all in one post but this site was NOT a fan

Started serious. Stayed as a joke.

Learned that Denard carried that team, and Hoke was in over his head.

But to act liken nothing I say on the topic matters, but you are all impartial, is fucking hilarious. I'm being perfectly damn reasonable and level headed. Again, if I am stating any facts that are incorrect, let me know.

Did you feel line Jose Bautista and his "circumstances" comment was perfectly reasonable and level headed?

You clearly don't know much about Harbaugh. The man idolizes Bo. He walks the same path to work each day that Bo walks. He does the walk to Bo's grave each year. He dresses like him. He tries to embody him whenever he can. So yes, the fact he lives right where Bo used to does pplay a huge significance.

Another absurdity.

No. Harbaugh's kids go to school where HE used to go to school.

The "connection" in your quote literally makes no sense. If you want to admit you're purposely being absurd (an idiot) again, go for it. But it literally means nothing in the context of this conversation.

I've already explained to you why counting the number of Sr's on our team, and assume we'll be down now because they're leaving, doesn't really make sense, is lazy, and shows a lack of understanding for the situation. I've already told you that Harbaugh will be recruiting right at the same level of OSU. Very soon we'll have the same level of talent and depth.

I tried to do that all in one post but this site was NOT a fan

So which senior starters are you willing to call garbage that couldn't beat a couple of kids that were playing high school ball last year?

"Yeah it happens. So be it. The loss has been hanging out there for about three games waiting for someone to reach out and grab it and Penn state did. It is what it is. This is a team full of young guys and they'll get better. If Michigan manages to get in the playoffs I'll still hate them but I'll reluctantly root for them over Alabama."

This is what I commented when OSU lost to Penn state. Note how I didn't complain about refs or the fluky nature of the two blocked kicks and all that. That's reasonable and level headed. Taking away all the other shit blaming the refs, trying to paint them as corrupt and biased isn't level headed or fair. It's excuse making. Speight was mediocre. Michigan's rushing attack failed to materialize and their top ranked defense fell apart where Ohio State's held. That's all there is to it.

BTW chaps, am I being silly or are the OT rules different in college? As in, a TD did not cause the game to be over, as it would in the NFL?

I'll never really understand why there are such differences like that.

Due to a lack of better judgement, I am going to re-enter the thread and respond to all of Gipper's posts in one reply. I am sure, by the time I am done reading his responses, I am going to be in a state of disbelief and frustration. Here we go:

We lose our starting HB, but have a pretty deep group there (they all got a lot of time). Both WRs (which hurts). #1 TE, which hurts. 3 OL. 3 DL, which hurts. MLB. 2 Cbs. 2 Ss. K/P. Add Peppers. That's 17. Definitely a sizable group.

What you have to understand though is these guys were all Hoke recruits. They spent 2 or 3 years being coached and developed by that staff, and that staff showed the inability to really develop many positions. A Sr(RS) OL leaving is a MUCH bigger loss if he's spent all 5 years with Harbaugh, than the situation we have now. Our OL was the weakest part of our team. Losing 3 Srs in the group looks much worse on paper than it actually is.

This all plays back to the depth and talent points I was making earlier. Which ties into Meyer being in year 5, and Harbaugh year 2. This is a Sr heavy team, that doesn't mean all of those seniors are very good. Many will be easily replaced by the recruits Harbaugh has brought in and developed.

2015 was a romp. Our DC was interviewing for Maryland that week and didn't show up at all to stop your O

2014 blew open in the 4th

2013 was a 1 pt win when our QB had a broken foot

2012 was a 5 pt win

Just sayin

Again, the report I saw was the UM was losing 17 senior starters.

If those seniors are not very good, and can easily be replaced by Harbaugh recruits....then why were'nt they?

You seem to be denigrating the seniors you have playing. Why?

Jesus, how many players did OSU lose in the draft last year? How many high draft picks.

Based on what? Why would Michigan not be able to match OSU in recruiting?

Because Michigan sucks and Ohio state rules. All the recruits know that.

If the talent level is so much better...then why was Harbaugh starting 17 seniors....guys he didn't recruit...over the younger guys he did recruit. [./quote]

Because there is something to be said for game experience and more time in a college weight room. A team full of Harbaugh recruits, coached up for 4+ years, will be better and have more depth tho. That's the point.

Well, they will be better coached than they were before, I will grant that. But to conclude that UM under Harbaugh has not reached its optimum is pure speculation.

I know some on here don't like to admit it, but recruiting rankings do mean something. Even outside of that, we saw how much more these players progressed under Harbaugh than Hoke. It would stand to reason that, all else equal, a player with 4 years of Harbaugh's staff will be better than a player with 2 years in Harbaugh's staff.

OK, perhaps....but they won't be as good as a player with any time spent with Meyer's staff. (except though...perhaps, Meyer's staff keeps getting poached to take HC jobs at other schools. Herman, Ash, Durkin...just to name a few. If Mich has the success you think they will have under Harbaugh....he could begin to lose people just as OSU has)

As for recruiting rankings....if you do believe what you say, then UM has by no means closed the gap:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeTeamRankings

Per this, OSU has already bagged 8 of the Top 50 recruits. Michigan: none. Alabama 6. Still many undecideds.

Archived