THE BROWNS BOARD

Deep Thoughts ... Featuring Brownsfaninpa and Nw220

BrownsfaninPa

Hue Jackson has a proven track record for making an offense successful. It doesn't have to be the Patriot way of driving the ball down field and nor should it as they don't have the same players the Patriots have. The lack of scoring for the Browns last season was due to a combination of lack of talent and injuries which led to a lack of continuity at QB and OL.

If you want to get an idea of what we may expect from Hue Jackson go watch some Bengals tape from two years ago when they had one of the highest-scoring offenses in the league.

What the Browns should emulate from the Patriots is the way in which they've built the dynastic franchise they have today, and in many respects, they are doing just that. One of the things Sashi Brown did was to do a comprehensive study on the most successful franchises to learn how they were built. Many of the things we see now, including the enhanced use of analytics and the clearing out of the roster, were things other franchises did as part of their rebuilds.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has there ever been a successful "copy cat" team? I don't mean a team that remade itself simply to embrace the league's latest trend, but one that purposely set out to emulate one team... and pulled it off.

The Browns were the dominant team of the 50's.

The Packers were the dominant team of the 60's.

The Steelers were the dominant team of the 70's.

The 80's? A little murkier, but the 49ers are a strong candidate.

The 90's? Dallas early with Denver late, but a tip of the hat to the Bills' 4-straight SB appearances.

2000's? So far it's the Pats...

Why the above list and what does it tell us? I'd maintain it shows a couple things. First that the constant is dominant defense. Second that dominant teams are led by innovative coaches who excel at preparing their teams.

We had Brown, arguably the most innovative HC of all time. And many of his innovations, e.g., playbooks, game plans, film study, emphasis on classroom, were all about preparation.

The Steelers were as impressive an assemblage of talent as we've seen, but behind that was Noll... preparing his team.

And on and on...The 49ers had Bill Walsh. The 'Boys had Jimmy Johnson while the Bills had Levy. Which brings us to Bill...

How many times have you heard about how prepared the Pats are? How many times have you heard a Pats', player-of-the-game savior say, "We practiced that"?

You don't have to think back further than a couple SB's when a then unknown DB stepped in front of a slanting Seahawk WR at the goal line. That SB's postmortem included practice footage of the Pats repeatedly defending a WR stack from the 2-yard line until that young DB, and every other defender, got it right.

How many different ways have you seen the Pats "win" over the years? Which way do you copy? The latest way? By the time you do, the Pats will have moved on.

So what do you copy?

Copy their game prep attention to detail.

Copy their anticipation and imagination.

Copy their player selection where smart is the prerequisite.

If you can...

The Browns were the dominant team of the 50's.

The Packers were the dominant team of the 60's.

The Steelers were the dominant team of the 70's.

The 80's? A little murkier, but the 49ers are a strong candidate.

The 90's? Dallas early with Denver late, but a tip of the hat to the Bills' 4-straight SB appearances.

2000's? So far it's the Pats...

Why the above list and what does it tell us? I'd maintain it shows a couple things. First that the constant is dominant defense.

Otto Graham...HOF

Bart Starr...HOF

Terry Bradshaw...HOF

Joe Montana...HOF

Troy Aikman...HOF

Jim Kelly....HOF

John Elway....HOF

Tom Brady....certain HOF

Something else might actually be first and foremost.

So what do you copy?

Copy their game prep attention to detail.

Copy their anticipation and imagination.

Copy their player selection where smart is the prerequisite.

You copy all of that, yes....and get a Hall of Fame QB

Ah.... I sense Gip spouting his Brady-Brady-Brady chant... again. Fuck that... it's at worst symbiotic relationship. But had Tom gone elsewhere, his career would have suffered far more than Bill's.

Book it...

Ah.... I sense Gip spouting his Brady-Brady-Brady chant... again. Fuck that... it's at worst symbiotic relationship. But had Tom gone elsewhere, his career would have suffered far more than Bill's.

Book it...

Without Brady, BBs teams would probably have been fairly good. Along the level of what the Browns were in 1994. Playoff contenders. But without Brady, they never would have been perennial championship contenders.

What would have happened if Brady had gone elsewhere? It certainly depends on where he went. He probably would not have done so well with the Browns, maybe about the same with a quality team.

Let's remember, BB in his first 6 years as HC had 5 losing seasons...with mediocre QBs. Then Brady showed up.

What's in a name ?

Just wanted to ask your thoughts on something that should be addressed by the front office. I would like to see the players on the team to just have their last name on their jersey's. We (fans, public, etc.) don't need to know if your a Jr. Sr. II, III, and so on. Just go by your last name. Keep your Jr, and Sr, and II, or III for your important paperwork in the front office, taxes, mortgages, etc. We only need to know you by your first & last name.

What's in a name ?

Just wanted to ask your thoughts on something that should be addressed by the front office. I would like to see the players on the team to just have their last name on their jersey's. We (fans, public, etc.) don't need to know if your a Jr. Sr. II, III, and so on. Just go by your last name. Keep your Jr, and Sr, and II, or III for your important paperwork in the front office, taxes, mortgages, etc. We only need to know you by your first & last name.

I agree. Who cares if you named your 2 year old kid after yourself or is your grandaddy was a bus driver in the 40s.

The only time it is relevent is if your Dad was also famous in sports. Like Ken Griffey Jr.

Well Browns fans, the worst season of all time has reached us, losing all 16 games isn't too surprising. This franchise hasn't been really much to cheer for since 2002. This team has been on the bottom for years, and this season has gone as low as a team can go. What can a coaching staff do to change the team to a NFL team?

Bring back the classic 1980's uniform design, the current ones are just horrible. And as for how to win games, I give up. This team has gone as low as a team can go. I cant keep up with who the QB is, or who is on this team.

Well, it doesn't really matter, the Browns are no longer a team I can cheer for. The Browns don't excist anymore.

But they do exist.

Player dreaddlocks should be removed

I don't know what the NFL rule is or if each team has their own "in house" rule on player appearance, but these guys with these excessive long dreadlocks has got to stop. These players who have these stupid looking fake hair locks are getting ridiculous. There so long that it covers players name on the back of the jersey, and it just shouldn't be allowed. There has to be a appearance clause. If a player chooses to wear this hair fashion, that's ok, but only during your off season. Once camp starts in July, all players are expected to show up to camp with dreads gone, and looking like a man and not some thing out of a comicbook. For those players that choose to wear this hair fashion, then you should go to the fashion industry and show off your hair. This is the NFL, your a employee of a team, and each team should have this clause in a players contract.

Is is just my thoughts on how players should look while their at work. From July to Dec, you are under the teams employment regulation. From Jan to June, you can look how ever you wish to look.

I don't know what the NFL rule is or if each team has their own "in house" rule on player appearance, but these guys with these excessive long dreadlocks has got to stop. These players who have these stupid looking fake hair locks are getting ridiculous. There so long that it covers players name on the back of the jersey, and it just shouldn't be allowed. There has to be a appearance clause. If a player chooses to wear this hair fashion, that's ok, but only during your off season. Once camp starts in July, all players are expected to show up to camp with dreads gone, and looking like a man and not some thing out of a comicbook. For those players that choose to wear this hair fashion, then you should go to the fashion industry and show off your hair. This is the NFL, your a employee of a team, and each team should have this clause in a players contract.

Is is just my thoughts on how players should look while their at work. From July to Dec, you are under the teams employment regulation. From Jan to June, you can look how ever you wish to look.

And some people thought I was a "get off my lawn" kind of guy.

Fake? I'll go along this far... tearaway dreadlocks should be outlawed just as tearaway jerseys were. Just because I haven't seen evidence that they exist doesn't mean we don't need a rule...

Is there a reason you did not simply object to "long hair"?

66cbfadce457ab745a24a0d9c95295c3.jpg

Well, it doesn't really matter, the Browns are no longer a team I can cheer for. The Browns don't excist anymore.

Excist? Did you mean exorcist?

More suggestions: excised exist excise exists excite excide exest excess ;)

....how about a dictionary for your next birthday?

Fake? I'll go along this far... tearaway dreadlocks should be outlawed just as tearaway jerseys were. Just because I haven't seen evidence that they exist doesn't mean we don't need a rule...

Is there a reason you did not simply object to "long hair"?

66cbfadce457ab745a24a0d9c95295c3.jpg

What is wrong with letting your Freak Flag Fly?

Ha- I suppose you don't know hair outside of your helmet is considered part of your uniform. One of the all-time funnest dred moments was Troy Polymumu intercepted a pass, was heading towards the end zone, and a guy yanked him down from behind - along with a fist full of dreadlocks.

Ha- I suppose you don't know hair outside of your helmet is considered part of your uniform. One of the all-time funnest dred moments was Troy Polymumu intercepted a pass, was heading towards the end zone, and a guy yanked him down from behind - along with a fist full of dreadlocks.

Dear Whitebread...

Troy did not sport dreadlocks. He just had a head of flowing Polynesian hair.

Here comes the liberal 'you're a racist' insinuation.

You are nearly two pages late... but thanks for playing.

Archived