THE BROWNS BOARD

Possible Next Browns QB

beare

He's cheap - rookie contract - but also going into his last year of it I think, same draft as Bortles, Carr, Garoppolo, McCarron etc. He's also shown the ability to play in this league, so essentially they have two potential franchise QBs. If the price is right, I'm all on board.

Or conversely no potential franchise quarterbacks.

WSS

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Browns will have a starting QB in 2017......BOOK IT!!

Also... a starting LT... a starting LG... a starting C... a starting...

Zimmer said that Bradford is the likely starter next year and thus Bridgewater will be the backup. Opens the door for the Vikes possibly wanting to move him.

Teddy is looking at a recovery that extends in the 2017 regular season. And then there's no telling what he'll be like on the field.

His value won't be high enough to trade in 2017. Plus it wasn't like Bradford was the answer to their prayers...

Bridgewater made it abundantly clear he didn't want to play here during the draft. We don't need gimpy here if he never wanted to be here in the 1st place.

I'm definitely warming up to A.J. though. Very credible reports are coming that he will be actively available and he looked pretty solid there in relief of Dalton. I also like (just like Jimmy G.) that's he's got a year left on his contract so if he doesn't pan out we wouldn't end up in an Osweiler situation. This also gives the Browns A LOT of flexibility in the draft which I greatly am in favor for.

Fuck the Twat.

Bridgewater made it abundantly clear he didn't want to play here during the draft. We don't need gimpy here if he never wanted to be here in the 1st place.

I'm definitely warming up to A.J. though. Very credible reports are coming that he will be actively available and he looked pretty solid there in relief of Dalton. I also like (just like Jimmy G.) that's he's got a year left on his contract so if he doesn't pan out we wouldn't end up in an Osweiler situation. This also gives the Browns A LOT of flexibility in the draft which I greatly am in favor for.

My interest in Garropolo is inversely proportional to how much New England wants for him. For those of you who flunked math, the more the Patriots want, the less I'm interested. We'd still be out a high pick if he bombs, so I'll ask you- What would be the difference if we pick a qb in the first round this year and he bombs?

Bridgewater is coming off the surgery, so I pass on that idea.

I'm not sold on McCarron either FWIW.

My interest in Garropolo is inversely proportional to how much New England wants for him. For those of you who flunked math, the more the Patriots want, the less I'm interested. We'd still be out a high pick if he bombs, so I'll ask you- What would be the difference if we pick a qb in the first round this year and he bombs?

Bridgewater is coming off the surgery, so I pass on that idea.

I'm not sold on McCarron either FWIW.

I've noted that I would be fine with using the Titans 2nd round pick and a future 3rd to get Jimmy G. if the Pats would take it. These reports of a 1st and a 4th are nonsense because no one is going to pay that.

I get what you're saying, but Tom Brady is a fucking enigma of a situation for the Patriots. The guy seemingly could play at an elite level for even 3-4 more years let's say. Jimmy G. has another year on his contract and he'll become a UFA after that. Say they feel Tom Brady today has the giddyup for three more seasons-do you pay Jimmy what it would take and have a high priced back-up for two seasons on the bench? If you look at it that way, I don't think it's absurd to think they know they are losing a good prospect but would still trade him away.

The reason I'm interested at all is because Jimmy is certainly the most interesting back-up in the Patriots chain since Matt Cassell.

On NFL Insiders yesterday A.J. being traded was discussed.

In his assessment of how interested teams should be in A.J., Bill Polian, the guy many her lust after to be our "football guy", said:

"Very. If you are a team in need of a starter, and several teams are, A.J. should be #1 on your list and that includes the current crop of QBs in the draft."

So there's that...

And there's this...

Bengal mouthpiece Dave Lapham claims the Bengals turned down a 2nd and 4th round draft picks in exchange for McCarron last year. Said the Bengals were adamant about getting a 1st rounder for him. No word who the team was interested in making a trade, but Cleveland was named as one of the usual suspects. That said, McCarron started and played well against two other QB needy teams, San Francisco and Denver.

FWIW most think the Bengals are more interested in trading McCarron this year than last. Whether that means they'd take less is anyones guess. Also of note, McCarron has only a year left on his contract, but because he was injured when drafted didn't accrue a season towards free agency. Thus, any team trading for him could control his rights for a 2nd season simply by making a tender offer.

On NFL Insiders yesterday A.J. being traded was discussed.

In his assessment of how interested teams should be in A.J., Bill Polian, the guy many her lust after to be our "football guy", said:

"Very. If you are a team in need of a starter, and several teams are, A.J. should be #1 on your list and that includes the current crop of QBs in the draft."

So there's that...

Polian knows his shit. More than any of us around here so if he thinks he's worth going after, then I'm all in.

And there's this...

Bengal mouthpiece Dave Lapham claims the Bengals turned down a 2nd and 4th round draft picks in exchange for McCarron last year. Said the Bengals were adamant about getting a 1st rounder for him. No word who the team was interested in making a trade, but Cleveland was named as one of the usual suspects. That said, McCarron started and played well against two other QB needy teams, San Francisco and Denver.

FWIW most think the Bengals are more interested in trading McCarron this year than last. Whether that means they'd take less is anyones guess. Also of note, McCarron has only a year left on his contract, but because he was injured when drafted didn't accrue a season towards free agency. Thus, any team trading for him could control his rights for a 2nd season simply by making a tender offer.

Yo Uma, long time no hear from. We were worried about you. Fer sure, the Browns won't offer a first rounder for him. Would the Bengals trade him to a division rival if they value him that highly? Other thing is come draft day- every vet who has trade value sees that drop dramatically. The Browns are in a position to wait anyone out. If no one swoops in for Jimmy G or AJ, their trade value draft day is going to drop like a rock.

And there's this...

Damn, we shine the blue light special welcome back beacon mass email and look what comes strolling into town! Good to see ya Umadogg!

I'd be surprised if we gave up a first round pick for McCarron and even bigger surprised if the deal was done within the division, let alone State.

Yeah, the blue light special e-mail. Cracked me up. Made me wonder how lonely you guys must be to invite old trolls back.

Then I read how you invited Ghoulie back for the umpteenth time and I realized I wasn't so special after all.

We just want the whole gang back together when we finally win that Super Bowl ... since we are so close, we thought we'd send out the bat signal.

So none of you think the Bengals would make a trade with an in state rival? Well, at the risk of straining our renewed friendship...what makes you think a 1-15 football team qualifies as a rival?

I'm only partially kidding.

I can't say if Mike Brown has forgotten and forgiven the treatment his sainted father was subjected to by you swarthy wire-haired northerners, but Marvin and Hue remain close and speak to each other weekly. Plus, until this season Hue Jackson was the only NFL offensive coordinator McCarron has known. Hue scouted him, pounded on the table for him to be drafted, and spent years developing him. So my gut tells me that if there was a sticking point to a potential trade it wouldn't be over some silly decades old grudge or some unwritten rule about trading. Rather, I'm guessing the Bengals will happily trade McCarron to the first team that agrees to their asking price.

In regards to the Bengals trade demands, I'm guessing they might accept the same type of offer they turned down last year. A 2nd and a 4th. They picked up Jeff Driskel to be their #3 QB this season and by the time the next season starts he'll have roughly a year and a half of experience with the team. My guess is they'll be a lot more comfortable with the idea of trading away their backup QB this offseason. Also, the very fact the Bengals kept a 3rd QB on the roster, something they rarely do, is seen as a strong sign they're preparing to trade McCarron. Not to mention the way McCarron openly spoke about the high probability he'd be traded when he cleaned out his locker last week. The way he spoke it almost seemed like it was a done deal, with only the new team yet to be determined.

Last, I won't waste keystrokes trying to convince anyone McCarron is worth what the Bengals will demand in return. Your team certainly has the draft ammunition to get the job done without feeling much pain, but that means they have plenty of options as well. That said, because McCarron didn't accrue a season towards RFA a team could trade for him, and for the price of roughly 750k kick his tires for a year. If you like what you see you could then work out a long term deal OR offer a 1-year tender that locks him down for another year.

I've noted that I would be fine with using the Titans 2nd round pick and a future 3rd to get Jimmy G. if the Pats would take it. These reports of a 1st and a 4th are nonsense because no one is going to pay that.

I get what you're saying, but Tom Brady is a fucking enigma of a situation for the Patriots. The guy seemingly could play at an elite level for even 3-4 more years let's say. Jimmy G. has another year on his contract and he'll become a UFA after that. Say they feel Tom Brady today has the giddyup for three more seasons-do you pay Jimmy what it would take and have a high priced back-up for two seasons on the bench? If you look at it that way, I don't think it's absurd to think they know they are losing a good prospect but would still trade him away.

The reason I'm interested at all is because Jimmy is certainly the most interesting back-up in the Patriots chain since Matt Cassell.

Yea, Matt Cassell. Would you be willing to trade a first round pick for a Matt Cassell...or a Brian Hoyer, or a Ryan Mallet.

Fuck that.

NE wants a 1 and a 4. I would give them just the 4 for this guy. Seriously.

Yea, Matt Cassell. Would you be willing to trade a first round pick for a Matt Cassell...or a Brian Hoyer, or a Ryan Mallet.

Fuck that.

He is not those guys.

Mallet was shit. Hoyer was a nobody, who proved himself OK.

Cassell is a Scott Mitchell ... turned a one year fill-in on a good team into a big contract.

Grop is a guy that was a better prospect than all of those guys, and if you liked him before the draft, there is no reason not to like him now.

He'll be starting for somebody next year. A team with balls, and not a defeatist attitude. A team not afraid to trade with the Big Bad Belichick.

I think that could be Sashi and Hue.

Zombo

Fuck that.

Eh, hindsight is 20/20 on Cassell. The guy looked pretty damn good there before going to KC and even there had a few good seasons. The other dudes were released and traded for a 6th round pick, in that order.

Gotta agree with Z that Jimmy is the best prospect of all four of those guys as well. Let me repeat though that the Patriots in no way shape or form will get a 1st and 4th for Jimmy, so there's no selling the farm. It's just not going to happen. Also, let's say the Browns give up a 2nd to get him and he blows. He's got another year on his contract, so we cut him and basically "waste" a 2nd rounder. Is that really any worse than the QB experiments we've tried in the past?

There's examples of traded or moved QBs doing well for other teams (Brees, Schaub, Alex Smith, etc). I'm more and more of the opinion that the gods above have cursed the browns ability to draft a QB, so let's give this route a shot. It literally can't go any worse.

Don't touch Jimmy G, a second rounder who won a couple games on a good team, but slobber all over A.J., a 5th rounder that won a couple games for a good team.

What am I missing here?

Grop is the sharper QB with the higher ceiling.

McCarron and Tyrod Taylor are the consolation prizes of vet QBs that will end up on bad teams (Romo is going to a good one).

Don't dare trade with Bill ... Go for whatever Mike Brown is selling ... Gotcha.

Zombo

Zombo, if you're missing anything it may be an understanding about why McCarron was a 5th rounder. In his final season at Alabama he had suffered a serious shoulder injury that required surgery. As a result any team that drafted him had to be willing to select a player who would be incapable of playing for the first 10-12 games of his rookie season. Furthermore, unless that team was willing to put McCarron on IR it would also need to carry an injured 3rd QB on it's 53 man roster. Knowing all of this it's small wonder McCarron slipped in the draft.

Yet despite all of the above McCarron was still ranked immediately behind Garrapalo as the next best QB prospect. For example, prior to the 2014 draft Dane Brugler of Draftscout had ranked the QB prospects in the following order. Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel as 1st rounders. Carr and Garrapalo as 2nd rounders. Next up, McCarron was ranked 6th and given a 3rd round grade.

Granted, you can keep repeating how McCarron slipped to the 5th round, but three years later....why should it matter? The shoulder injury that caused him to slip hasn't been a concern since 2015.

Last, I've read your rant about Garrapalo and you may be surprised to hear that I agree with you. I liked Garrapalo better than McCarron when both players were drafted and I still like him better now. So yeah, if all things were equal I'd trade for Garrapalo before I'd trade for McCarron. But there's the rub because I do think things are more equal than you imply. Hue Jackson knows better than anyone what caused McCarron to slip to the 5th round and I doubt where the two players were drafted three years ago will carry much weight in any debate.

Polian knows his shit. More than any of us around here so if he thinks he's worth going after, then I'm all in.

He's one of the ones I listen to on the show.

Another, Louis Riddick, our former DB, is up for the SF GM job...

Not a bad idea but I don't think Cincy would trade a QB within the division.

And that is Polian's take as well... which lead him back to Garopollo.

Host asked Bill what the negotiation for Jimmy G. would be like. Bottom line was he thought a 2017 1st and a 2018 3rd would definitely do it (essentially what the Pats are "asking"), but a high 2017 2nd and 2018 3rd might get it done.

Yeah, the blue light special e-mail. Cracked me up. Made me wonder how lonely you guys must be to invite old trolls back.

Then I read how you invited Ghoulie back for the umpteenth time and I realized I wasn't so special after all.

I like this guy already...

I liked Garrapalo better than McCarron when both players were drafted and I still like him better now.

Opposite here based primarily on competition level and a view of AJ being a tested game manager. At the time I was working under the delusion that we were on the verge of constructing a dominant Defense. AJ was my 2014 Darkhorse QB.

Now I see a tested, pro QB that played in meaningful games down the stretch for a playoff team... who had a pretty dominant Defense.

But as you say, no one is in a better position to know AJ's worth than Hue... so I'll defer to him.

He is not those guys.

I am not convince dthat he isn't.

Cassell is a Scott Mitchell ... turned a one year fill-in on a good team into a big contract.

Yes....Mitchell and Garropolo sitting in a tree, etc.

Grop is a guy that was a better prospect than all of those guys, and if you liked him before the draft, there is no reason not to like him now.

He'll be starting for somebody next year. A team with balls, and not a defeatist attitude. A team not afraid to trade with the Big Bad Belichick.

Zombo

Tour, I'm not going to quibble over which player is considered slightly better. My point was it's probably a closer evaluation than some think...and I strongly doubt where each player was drafted three years ago will carry much weight. In fact, if I was in the mood I think I could craft a pretty strong argument in favor of McCarron based upon his experience running Hue's scheme.

For starters, McCarron already knows the plays, understands the terminology, and has worked with Hue long enough to understand his tendencies and desires. He could show up tomorrow bringing more experience in your teams offensive scheme than all three QBs on your current roster, including the starter. So if your HC wanted to jump start your latest rebuilding project I'd be hard pressed to find a more attractive option, especially if your front office was reluctant to throw millions of dollars at an unproven QB. To kick the tires on McCarron would cost you one premium draft pick...a mid round sweetener...and less than a million bucks. Garrapalo will cost slightly more, and has no experience working in Hue's scheme.

Last, I didn't hear Polians remarks but I have to wonder if the real roadblock to a trade for McCarron isn't a reluctance on the Bengals part to trade McCarron to a division rival, but rather...the reluctance of the Browns franchise to send a high draft pick to Cincy.

He is not those guys.

I am not convince dthat he isn't.

Yes....Mitchell and Garropolo sitting in a tree, etc.

Zombo

I don't see what Garoppolo and Cassell have in common other than they played for the same team.

Matt Flynn is not Matt Hasslebeck.

If you're going to dismiss guys simply because of the team, the system or the coach ... then you're scouting with your eyes closed.

Zombo

Zombo, if you're missing anything it may be an understanding about why McCarron was a 5th rounder. In his final season at Alabama he had suffered a serious shoulder injury that required surgery. As a result any team that drafted him had to be willing to select a player who would be incapable of playing for the first 10-12 games of his rookie season. Furthermore, unless that team was willing to put McCarron on IR it would also need to carry an injured 3rd QB on it's 53 man roster. Knowing all of this it's small wonder McCarron slipped in the draft.

Yet despite all of the above McCarron was still ranked immediately behind Garrapalo as the next best QB prospect. For example, prior to the 2014 draft Dane Brugler of Draftscout had ranked the QB prospects in the following order. Bridgewater, Bortles, and Manziel as 1st rounders. Carr and Garrapalo as 2nd rounders. Next up, McCarron was ranked 6th and given a 3rd round grade.

Granted, you can keep repeating how McCarron slipped to the 5th round, but three years later....why should it matter? The shoulder injury that caused him to slip hasn't been a concern since 2015.

Last, I've read your rant about Garrapalo and you may be surprised to hear that I agree with you. I liked Garrapalo better than McCarron when both players were drafted and I still like him better now. So yeah, if all things were equal I'd trade for Garrapalo before I'd trade for McCarron. But there's the rub because I do think things are more equal than you imply. Hue Jackson knows better than anyone what caused McCarron to slip to the 5th round and I doubt where the two players were drafted three years ago will carry much weight in any debate.

You seem hung up on this "5th round" thing.

I was just noticing that some of the people that were all over this apple hated the idea of purchasing the other apple that was deemed a little shinier last time they were both on the market. Just wondering what I missed in that regard.

As for my own personal opinion, when I look at ceilings I see Grop as more of a gunglsinger (Brees) and McCarron more of manager (Smith). I think A.J. is in the same mold as Kessler, so I think we can work with him some more before trading a first for McCarron. Grop I see as different species, I think he could be something really special.

I don't back prospective QBs too much ... but when I like one, I like one ... until I'm proven otherwise. Nothing I've seen yet has turned me off Grop.

Zombo

I don't see what Garoppolo and Cassell have in common other than they played for the same team.

Matt Flynn is not Matt Hasslebeck.

If you're going to dismiss guys simply because of the team, the system or the coach ... then you're scouting with your eyes closed.

Zombo

I guess its just like guys saying that it is the Browns that killed QBs.....I don't believe that. I also don't believe a QB is good just because he backed up Tom Brady. These guys are not Tom Brady lite.

I will be on board with this guy if and when he becomes a member of the Cleveland Browns. Until then, I will retain my right to remain skeptical.

I'm not hung up on the 5th round thing nearly as much as you seem to be. After all, it was part of your rant and you did ask what you might be missing. So I thought you might appreciate a little background information that went deeper than the shiny apple comparison.

But looking at the bigger picture I actually agree with your eloquent and brutally simple rant about Garrapalo. If you liked him better before you still like him better now. To say more spoils the beauty of the thing.

Oh, and here's the latest scuttled butt about McCarron being traded. When asked today about the rumors of a trade Marvin answered by saying...."Well, ante up."

FWIW that's a big change from the last time Marvin answered the question in March when he flatly told Mike Florio McCarron wouldn't be traded this offseason.

Archived