THE BROWNS BOARD

Which Positions on the Browns are most Deficient?

The Gipper

Which Positions on the Browns have the biggest deficiency in talent? I think they fall in this order:

1. Quarterback

2. Defensive Backfield (need 2)

3. Right side of the OL..from OC to RT (need 2)

4. Outside edge rusher (need 1)

5. Inside LB (though, Davis and Kirksey are serviceable)

6. Tight End

7. Wide Receiver

8. Running back

(it would not hurt the Browns to get a real play maker at one of these last 3 spots...or do you think we are sufficient

Which Positions on the Browns have the biggest deficiency in talent? I think they fall in this order:

1. Quarterback

I'm for drafting one. Keep McCown as a staff guy, keep Kessler, bring in a vet to push RG3 out, like Foles perhaps. But, and it's a big but, RG3 looks better than Foles, so be it.

For sure, I like Kindred, but we need another Safetyto help him out.

Shon Coleman? Spencer Drango? Can these 2 step it up so they can focus on other positions?

Wouldn't hurt, but remember Desmond Bryant should be returning. That may free up some options already on the roster to do that.

I like our LB core. If Kirksey played on Pitt or NE, he'd be all pro. I wouldn't be opposed to an upgrade over Davis, but he wasn't awful.

6. Tight End

All set IMHO

7. Wide Receiver

Definitely need help here. I'm not sold on Hawkins at all, he was invisible this year. Basically invisible since Hoyer left.

8. Running back

(it would not hurt the Browns to get a real play maker at one of these last 3 spots...or do you think we are sufficient

RBs are above average I think, even though Crow always looks like he is going to fall down. Duke is under- utilized.

Paz is more than adequate - we don't need to replace him. And, Shon may be better once he's fully healed.

Collins is best as ILB, not OLB. His skill is slipping the interior blocks.

I'd say the D weaknesses are OLB and DB -- and DL given that we'll be selecting Allen with the #1.

1. Quarterback

Yes, Use the #1 pick on Trubisky

Draft one possibly as high as #12? Hooker? Adoree Jackson

Plus another fairly high.

Perhaps someone currently on the roster could step up to fill one spot: Coleman, Drango? Perhaps a FA pickup?

Pocic or Elflein?

4. Outside edge rusher (need 1) Maybe draft a Tim Williams at #12...or someone else

If Collins were able to also stay inside because of the talent we would have on the outside, that would be a good thing.

6. Tight End

Are Barnidge, Telfer, Devalve sufficient.? It would be nice.

7. Wide Receiver

Are the 4 guys we got last year to step up....I could see drafting another...if the guy was right.

8. Running back

Duke Johnson didn't play Sunday. Atkinson seemed a reasonably serviceable 3rd stringer. With Crowe and those two we are in good shape....though, a Curtis Samuel in mid round...if he was there, would be another good utility player.

You forgot coaching. All positions could use working together on the same page in a collective scheme. Right now we are still "Deficient" at coaching.

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing.
You don't win once in awhile; you don't do things right once in awhile;
you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit.
Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vince Lombardi

1. Quarterback

- I don't feel this has been a huge deficiency for us, given the many other glaring issues. Maybe go for Garrapalo in free agency.

- Yes, draft Peppers, Adams or Hooker in 2nd round.

- Yes, get a quality center - Elflin or Pocic at #12

- Yes, need a game changer here. Select Myles Garrett at #1.

- I think we can make do with what we have.

6. Tight End

- Might be ok

7. Wide Receiver

- Keep Pryor and Coleman, maybe look for someone else in free agency.

8. Running back

- I think we are ok here.

You forgot coaching. All positions could use working together on the same page in a collective scheme. Right now we are still "Deficient" at coaching.

"Winning is not a sometime thing; it's an all the time thing.
You don't win once in awhile; you don't do things right once in awhile;
you do them right all of the time. Winning is a habit.
Unfortunately, so is losing." - Vince Lombardi

OK, fair enough. Yes, our coaching has to improve every bit as much as some of our players must. Though I would not be ready to ditch Hue.....but it would not break my heart if we said Sayonara to Horton.

1. Quarterback
- I don't feel this has been a huge deficiency for us, given the many other glaring issues. Maybe go for Garrapalo in free agency.
- Yes, draft Peppers, Adams or Hooker in 2nd round.
- Yes, get a quality center - Elflin or Pocic at #12
- Yes, need a game changer here. Select Myles Garrett at #1.
- I think we can make do with what we have.
6. Tight End
- Might be ok
7. Wide Receiver
- Keep Pryor and Coleman, maybe look for someone else in free agency.
8. Running back
- I think we are ok here.

I think you are fairly right on except for one big area: if you don't see how deficient we are at QB...then I don't know what team you have been watching for the past 17 years. Do you seriously have confidence in the RG/Kessler combo. No, no, no no no. Fuck no.

(and Garrapolo is not a FA. If he were, maybe.....but per everything I have heard the Pats want a 1st round pick for him. and fuck no to that)

On offense - QB is the number one position. If we get that sorted with a guy who can read coverages and rushes, the rest falls into place. The line has enough serviceable parts that between them they can be respectable - even if you're anti-Erving (don't blame you) you could field a line of Thomas-Bitonio-Greco-Drango-Pasztor and do just fine.

On D, it's basically the opposite. There are a few sorted positions, like Shelton, Kirksey, Collins and Ogbah, and probably Haden, but basically everywhere else needs help. So...

1. QB - we'll never be competitive without a top QB. If there's a guy in this draft that is the guy, then great, but don't reach. I'm guessing one of Trubisky, Kizer and Watson would be there at #12 and I'm ok with any of them at that point (though Watson's my guy).

2. Edge Rusher - we basically don't get any pressure on opposing QBs. Ogbah is coming along nicely but isn't a game wrecker like a Miller or whoever. If we get Garrett number one or as has been suggested, someone like Tim Williams or another with #12 then that could change instantly.

3. Safety - Ed Reynolds is less of a liability than Tracy Howard was at safety, but that's a very low bar. Poyer would be coming back from injury but I don't keep him. We need a true ball hawking kind of guy there, to complement the ok-to-solid thumpers we have in Kindred and Campbell. Eric Berry in free agency would be about as perfect as you could hope for, or Hooker at #12 works too.

4. Corner - Joe Haden. 'the oldest 27 year old in the world' is a quote I read recently. Seems apt. Taylor and Boddy-Calhoun look like two very good pick ups by this front office, but neither are going to run with AJ Green and Antonio Browns for the next eight years or so, Haden needs a running mate. Humphrey at #12 or Jackson at #33 would go a long way to fixing that problem.

5. Center - This all depends on how much the FO likes and trusts Reiter/Fabiano as both looked solid in their starts. But we can't really go in to 2017 counting on Erving.

6. Wide Receiver - disappointing to have to write this given we drafted three lower round guys, but none seem to have stepped up and taken Andrew 'just a guy' Hawkins' spot on the depth chart. Could definitely do with an upgrade. Doesn't have to be an outside guy with Coleman and Pryor taking on those roles, but someone like Switzer out of UNC would be a good find there - perhaps even moving Duke? They don't seem to want to give him a lot of carries, and we've apparently picked up Jim Brown's bastard son on waivers so who knows?

7. D-End - if Bryant comes back we're sorted here with him and Ogbah, otherwise it needs a look. Nassib should continue to improve and make more of an impact next year - I've heard plenty of people, punters and pundits alike saying he needs more strength. OK, go have an NFL offseason and come back.

I think you are fairly right on except for one big area: if you don't see how deficient we are at QB...then I don't know what team you have been watching for the past 17 years. Do you seriously have confidence in the RG/Kessler combo. No, no, no no no. Fuck no.

(and Garrapolo is not a FA. If he were, maybe.....but per everything I have heard the Pats want a 1st round pick for him. and fuck no to that)

Yeah, we need to address the QB position for sure, but being a 1-15 team, I think focusing on other deficiencies would give us more bang for the buck. It might also allow us to better assess our current QB lineup.

Yeah, we need to address the QB position for sure, but being a 1-15 team, I think focusing on other deficiencies would give us more bang for the buck. It might also allow us to better assess our current QB lineup.

Having how many? 12 draft picks allows us to focus on the other deficiencies and STILL address the QB question.

And we need to do it right off the top, as see this:

1. Cleveland Browns

2016 record: 1-15 (.549)

Top needs: QB, C/G, RB

Analysis: The Browns took a pass on Carson Wentz so now they are still looking for "that guy." One of the best ways to take pressure off of a young QB is to find a stud RB -- ask the Cowboys, who could also speak to the importance of finding interior blockers.

2. San Francisco 49ers

2016 record: 2-14 (.504)

Top needs: QB, OLB, OL

Analysis: So how do you shop for a team with needs across the board? Start with finding a QB to build around. The 49ers have to get better at guard and might need to start looking for another right tackle. Improving the pass rush off the edge could be a Round 1 focus.

3. Chicago Bears

2016 record: 3-13 (.521)

Top needs: QB, DB, OL

Analysis: Jay Cutler's dead cap money drops dramatically, which could lead to his departure. TheBears have spent their last couple of early round picks on their defensive front, but now they need to look to sharpen their secondary. I expect Chicago to bolster its OL depth.

6. New York Jets

2016 record: 5-11 (.518)

Top needs: QB, OLB, CB

Analysis: Sure, the Jets might believe Christian Hackenberg is their QB of the future, but adding competition seems like a smart thing to do. The Jets are talented up front, but they're still in need of an edge-bending rusher. Cornerback should be a high priority.

Four of the top 6 drafting teams are listed as having QB as their #1 priority need. And some yabos on here are saying the Browns should wait until #12 or #33 for the Browns to take a QB.

No QB will be around then. Not one we want.

What do we need?

Whoever the absolute best player available at the time of our draft pick, probably fits an area of need for us.

QB position is judged on a curve...so although perhaps not the absolute best player available, could be the player that has to be drafted.

Priority #1 is a pass rusher. We could get off the field so much more and give the ball to an adequate O so many more times if we just could force more mistakes/turnovers/loss of yards. It would vastly improve the secondary with not having to cover 6-7 seconds a play. Everything else is secondary including this down year for QBs. Desperation in that position is not equal too BPA.

Priority #1 is a pass rusher. We could get off the field so much more and give the ball to an adequate O so many more times if we just could force more mistakes/turnovers/loss of yards. It would vastly improve the secondary with not having to cover 6-7 seconds a play. Everything else is secondary including this down year for QBs. Desperation in that position is not equal too BPA.

A. Nothing helps a team more than a quality person who touches the ball on every play. QB is our top priority.

B. It is not a down year for QB...unless you are comparing it to 1983 or 2004. I am of the opinion that Trubisky and Watson may both be better than either Goff or Wentz.

C. While we do need an edge rusher....that position has more depth this year than many positions. We should have taken the damn edge rusher last year with Bosa as I wanted....but that didn't happen. No one this year comes close to Bosa imo...not Garrett, not Allen. Unless we have the second coming of Bruce Smith there, I say we wait. But we can get a good one perhaps at 12. Williams perhaps or another.

We just disagree Gip. All the QBs look like projects this year to me. But you put an Allen with any one of those great pass rushers in the draft @#12, then you have something. Or take Garrett with Foster or a great CB/SS. Put Garrett with Ogbah on the other side, that is automatic havoc. Ogbah started showing ability late in the season, but it can be enhanced when they have two to worry about, not unlike that team that Z does not like me to mention too often. We can have the makings of a truly great defense if we don't timidly accept one more punching bag behind the OL.

PS-and if we take that QB #1 overall, Garrett and Allen will both make the Browns look like fools as next year unfolds. They are just far better football players than any of those QBs.

1. Quarterback

I'm for drafting one. Keep McCown as a staff guy, keep Kessler, bring in a vet to push RG3 out, like Foles perhaps. But, and it's a big but, RG3 looks better than Foles, so be it.

For sure, I like Kindred, but we need another Safetyto help him out.

Shon Coleman? Spencer Drango? Can these 2 step it up so they can focus on other positions?

Wouldn't hurt, but remember Desmond Bryant should be returning. That may free up some options already on the roster to do that.

I like our LB core. If Kirksey played on Pitt or NE, he'd be all pro. I wouldn't be opposed to an upgrade over Davis, but he wasn't awful.

6. Tight End

All set IMHO

7. Wide Receiver

Definitely need help here. I'm not sold on Hawkins at all, he was invisible this year. Basically invisible since Hoyer left.

8. Running back

RBs are above average I think, even though Crow always looks like he is going to fall down. Duke is under- utilized.

1: Hawkins has always been invisible. I understand wanting to keep a vet and leader, but how about one that can actually contribute. Why was he on the roster, but Gabriel was cut?

2: Crow does look like he going to fall down alot of the time, but at least he falls down for extra yards instead of backwards more often than not.

1: Hawkins has always been invisible. I understand wanting to keep a vet and leader, but how about one that can actually contribute. Why was he on the roster, but Gabriel was cut?

2: Crow does look like he going to fall down alot of the time, but at least he falls down for extra yards instead of backwards more often than not.

Hawkins was a guy Hue was familiar with, so he kept him and let Gabriel go. On the Browns, Gabriel was just a

fly pattern guy.

Gabriel with Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, and Julio Jones= weapon.

Hawkins was a guy Hue was familiar with, so he kept him and let Gabriel go. On the Browns, Gabriel was just a

fly pattern guy.

Gabriel with Matt Ryan, Devonta Freeman, Tevin Coleman, and Julio Jones= weapon.

Oh I'm not trying to say he would have done just as well for us, but he basically went to the Falcons and did what he did for us his rookie year when we gave him opportunities to play. I understand Hue wanting his guy, but in a season where we cut vets and let others walknow all so we can let rookies and young guys start, they keep a vet with diminishing skill who hadn't done anything over two seasons and let a promising young guy walk who had actually produced.

We just disagree Gip. All the QBs look like projects this year to me. But you put an Allen with any one of those great pass rushers in the draft @#12, then you have something. Or take Garrett with Foster or a great CB/SS. Put Garrett with Ogbah on the other side, that is automatic havoc. Ogbah started showing ability late in the season, but it can be enhanced when they have two to worry about, not unlike that team that Z does not like me to mention too often. We can have the makings of a truly great defense if we don't timidly accept one more punching bag behind the OL.

PS-and if we take that QB #1 overall, Garrett and Allen will both make the Browns look like fools as next year unfolds. They are just far better football players than any of those QBs.

I don't know. Perhaps Garrett will be the second coming of Von Miller. (and that is what people think because they went to the same school.) Or he could be the second coming of Aundray Bruce.

And I am often skeptical about Alabama linemen. I feel that players at that school get a lot of "extra" help to perform, if you know what I mean.

Like I said, we blew our chance last year to get the top edge rusher. These guys, in my opinion, don't match up to him (Bosa).

This team is going nowhere without its future franchise QB. When you have that opportunity, you take it.

Don't forget that we would also be in a great position to move UP from #12 if there's really a QB we like after the number one pick as well. If it meant giving the Titans 2nd rounder up to go get say a Trubisky at #8 where the Panthers it might worth it.

He won't last til #8. See one of my other posts: 49ers, Jets, Bears, Bills....all need QBs. If he ain't our #1, he will go 2-3-4. And I think Watson will go in there somewhere with him.

He won't last til #8. See one of my other posts: 49ers, Jets, Bears, Bills....all need QBs. If he ain't our #1, he will go 2-3-4. And I think Watson will go in there somewhere with him.

You may be right, it's hard to say at this point how the QB rankings will play themselves out. I see people falling in love with Kizer though based on tangibles.

Quarterback is the most important position, and we don't have one, so that tops the list.

Safety was probably our most deficient position this year. They couldn't cover, but they sucked against the run. No interceptions from the position, and no big hits that I remember either. It got slightly better at the the end of the year when Ed Reynolds came on a little bit and we transitioned Traymon Williams to safety, but one's old as dirt and the other spent half the year on the practice squad, so ... need some playmakers here.

C, RG and RT needs to be settled through the draft and the players we have, can't go through another season holding tryouts, that shit should be done by the third preseason game.

If we draft Garrett Allen I'm starting to like our front seven, but we've gotta keep that pipeline coming.

Another playmaker at WR.

We went the whole year without a blocking tight end, need a depth guy there.

Crow is a good RB. Three years of tread on him and contract coming up though, so need another guy there.

This kicker may have been consistent in between, but he lost his first game with us and our last, so he has to go. Throw one of those late round picks at a young guy we keep for years.

Always need corners.

Zombo

Archived