THE BROWNS BOARD

Ray Horton out

The Cysko Kid

Horton is a suck ass coordinator who has sucked in every capacity he's served in and no matter what the circumstances of his firing are he was never going to be good. We're better off without him.

Exactly. Mr. Ghools look up the records (and defensive stats) of the teams he's been coordinator on- he sucks worse than Hue.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not exactly. His base is old school, Bud Wilkinson 52/34 - still one gap principles the vast majority of the time.

Coach Wade usually doesn't have a massive NT that you would traditionally see in your 'classic' 2 gapping 34 base with a 0tech and heads up on the tackles.

The differences in scheme are negligible aside from how your OLB's align in your base defense (for the most part). Both Wade and Williams believe in blitzing especially early down 5 man pressures and heavy man coverage. I'd expect our draft targets to be similar for either coach.

And I think therein lies a good deal of the barrier when we discuss 3-4 vs. 4-3 vs. ...

When I speak of it I am referring to personnel, 3 DL - 4 LB, or vice versa, regardless of their distance from the neutral zone. When others do, e.g., you, they tend to refer to alignment irrespective of roster designation.

I referred to Bum Phillips in another thread yesterday. There was no greater devotee to the 3-4 than Bum. Yet from an alignment standpoint he showed more 4 and 5 man fronts than he did three. Robert Brazile, probably the most physically imposing OLB to wear the Columbia Blue and the Oilers' version of Clay Mathews when it comes to HoF snubs, was a fixture on the LOS.

Look at Houston's defense this year. They run mostly 4 man fronts now and Clowneys becoming a beast. When they get Watt back omg. Watt and clowney on the edges? If watt comes back right this could be a historic defense next year.

It's potential boggles the mind. But looking at their 2nd level it just doesn't quit.

ILB Cushing when healthy flies to the ball. Mercilus is the best OLB the average fan has never heard of. And McKinney at the opposite ILB has developed into a more well-rounded player than I saw coming.

And then there's the 2ndary...

Romeo has a beast of a lineup to play with...

Archived