THE BROWNS BOARD

QB Questions

Flugel

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And we can't disagree with his opinion? I'd be happy as a pig in mud if Mitch slid to #12. Only complaint- lack of experience? In other words, he looked pretty good this year- but.

Pretty sure there was nothing in my post prohibiting disagreement, but until you can be as happy as a "pig in shit", your endorsement falls short on convincing. ;)

Mitch looks like a Pizza Hut shift manager with an awesome sound system in his Buick Roadmaster.

lol... The Roadmaster must have a "reverb" speaker in the rear. Loved how they "twanged" going over RR tracks.

And we have an early contender for Trub's, all-important nickname should we draft him... "Pizza Hut".

Pretty sure there was nothing in my post prohibiting disagreement, but until you can be as happy as a "pig in shit", your endorsement falls short on convincing. ;)

lol... The Roadmaster must have a "reverb" speaker in the rear. Loved how they "twanged" going over RR tracks.

And we have an early contender for Trub's, all-important nickname should we draft him... "Pizza Hut".

OK, draft that next Lawrence Taylor- just find me a Phil Simms to go along with him. :) Those Browns quarterbacks get the Mr. Hero commercials.

And we can't disagree with his opinion? I'd be happy as a pig in mud if Mitch slid to #12. Only complaint- lack of experience? In other words, he looked pretty good this year- but.

If we're gonna Budweiser Frog here let's do it right. "Yeah but.."

But, the Head Coach who watched him practice every single day found enough weaknesses to start Marquise Williams over him for 2 years. That being the case, we could only watch him start twice throughout his entire scholarship. These were both losses to NC State and Stanford. I think this validates a solid reason why a well respected Draft Analyst like Mike Mayock brings it up in a world of how is he going to be the answer to all some bad NFL team's prayers? Is it really only a "lack of experience" more so than the reasons why there was a lack of experience?

I may be wrong here and it wouldn't be the first time; but I can't get this out of my dome either. In a world where a prospect probably knows his limitations best, why was Trubisky so reluctant to challenge Barrett at Ohio State? Trubisky chose NC instead so he could eventually start 1 year in the ACC vrs his own perception he couldn't ever beat out Barrett. Wasn't Williams a watered down version of Barrett? I always considered great QBs to be fierce competitors to the extent he feels like beating out Barrett would be no problem (especially if he wants the team holding the 1st overall pick to seriously consider him). Look at how much better Ohio State looked the first 3 times Cardale Jones replaced Barrett back when OSU had a great Offensive Coordinator. That could have been Trubisky if he believed in himself. Trubisky has red flags pertinent to upper 1st round consideration; and those capable of getting past the local boy hero thing can see them.

Flug, 2 things were going on with Fedora,Marquise & Mitch...#1. UNC plays in Chapel Hill,NC Marquise was born & childhood rising in Charlotte, NC..Butts in seats advantage Marquise with boosters. #2.Marquise was a 1 read guy & could tuck-n-Cardale run with the best of them. Had to.. cuz Fedora's recruiting of wide outs never came till Marquise was done..It was a Marquise recruited team early..Marquise could not hit a barn, if his name was on it with any ball :ph34r:

Gipper, the point is don't cite a guy then turn around and say his opinion is junk.

I didn't say Polian's opinion is junk. I said I agreed with one of his opinions, and that I disagreed with another of his opinions.

Polian said that neither Wentz nor Goff were 1st round guys last year. I agreed. (but clearly certain NFL teams didn't)

Polian said that no QB this year is a 1st round guy. I disagree. (and I wager certain NFL teams will agree with me this time...and not him)

Again...what is wrong with having varying opinions about someone else's opinion?

I mean....are you married? If so, do you agree with everything your husband says?

I sure don't agree with everything my wife says...nor vice versa.

I am sure I have agreed with many opinions you have expressed on this board.

And I am sure I have disagreed with other opinions you have expressed on this board.

And vice versa.

Why is it that some of you are so obtuse as to not comprehend this. Nobody agrees with another person 100% of the time.

Hello!

But, the Head Coach who watched him practice every single day found enough weaknesses to start Marquise Williams over him for 2 years. That being the case, we could only watch him start twice throughout his entire scholarship. These were both losses to NC State and Stanford. I think this validates a solid reason why a well respected Draft Analyst like Mike Mayock brings it up in a world of how is he going to be the answer to all some bad NFL team's prayers? Is it really only a "lack of experience" more so than the reasons why there was a lack of experience?

I may be wrong here and it wouldn't be the first time; but I can't get this out of my dome either. In a world where a prospect probably knows his limitations best, why was Trubisky so reluctant to challenge Barrett at Ohio State? Trubisky chose NC instead so he could eventually start 1 year in the ACC vrs his own perception he couldn't ever beat out Barrett. Wasn't Williams a watered down version of Barrett? I always considered great QBs to be fierce competitors to the extent he feels like beating out Barrett would be no problem (especially if he wants the team holding the 1st overall pick to seriously consider him). Look at how much better Ohio State looked the first 3 times Cardale Jones replaced Barrett back when OSU had a great Offensive Coordinator. That could have been Trubisky if he believed in himself. Trubisky has red flags pertinent to upper 1st round consideration; and those capable of getting past the local boy hero thing can see them.

One real simple explanation is that Ohio State is NOT known as a program that develops NFL QBs. I mean, Bernie Kosar didn't go to OSU. Len Dawson didn't.

So that may be the reason. He may have wanted to go to a more pro style program.

Plus, we don't know that MTs was even offered a position at OSU, do we?

One real simple explanation is that Ohio State is NOT known as a program that develops NFL QBs. I mean, Bernie Kosar didn't go to OSU. Len Dawson didn't.

So that may be the reason. He may have wanted to go to a more pro style program.

Plus, we don't know that MTs was even offered a position at OSU, do we?

You chose to miss the entire point on purpose while refusing to acknowledge how many recent NC QBs have gone on to become franchise QBs. It was Trubisky's dream to play at Ohio State and he went and played for a similar style of offense at NC so let's not pretend it was a style offense snub as much as it was a case of being afraid of the challenge of beating out Barrett. Again,when Cardale upgraded Barrett during the 3 game stretch including the National Championship run with the best OC Ohio State has had in recent years - he was looking like an ideal NFL prospect during the tiny body of work.Then came more starts under a lesser OC and people learned why a bigger body of work should be weighed in. In essence, reasons were easily found why Cardale wasn't a long term starter.

Again, there's a well respected draft analyst (Mayock) for all his extensive research has cautioned people willing to be open about red flags. Is it really the 1 year of starting experience only or the countless reasons why he was only good enough to start 1 year for the HC who watched him practice every day since he arrived.

Most of the excuses for Williams don't have me thinking Fedora saw a special QB worthy of benching Williams over. Guys only good enough to start 1 year on their scholarship aren't advertising the next Peyton Manning at #1 overall. They just aren't. You know that - it's why you're clinging to stuff that really doesn't matter.

Flug, 2 things were going on with Fedora,Marquise & Mitch...#1. UNC plays in Chapel Hill,NC Marquise was born & childhood rising in Charlotte, NC..Butts in seats advantage Marquise with boosters. #2.Marquise was a 1 read guy & could tuck-n-Cardale run with the best of them. Had to.. cuz Fedora's recruiting of wide outs never came till Marquise was done..It was a Marquise recruited team early..Marquise could not hit a barn, if his name was on it with any ball :ph34r:

While I appreciate your point Gumby, that still doesn't make me feel like Fedora saw the next Peyton Manning on board to challenge such thinking. I had season tix to Vandy games the 1st 2 years I lived in Nashville where they started a former local high school state champion QB that failed miserably. He won a Bowl Game the year prior to starting full time after Cutler could never get them to that level so he had a huge following here heading into his brief tenure. I can't remember if his name was Larry Smith or Larry Foster but man did he end up sucking bad here. In the process, there were less and less Vandy fans in the seats the bigger that train wreck got regardless of the initial high expectations for the local kid.The QB draw and option plays in the SEC wasn't going to get them very far for long.

When Jordan Rodgers (Aaron's younger brother) arrived a year or so later, HC James Franklin enjoyed back to back 9 win seasons. In the process, Vandy learned they actually had a first round draft pick in their WR Corps (Jordan Matthews). Even better, the ability to tap such a talent outside sure helps get future passing game prospects/recruits interested in playing for an offense like that more so than their previous QB. I'm guessing the same held true for a WR like Switzer at NC who sounds like he'll be good enough to get drafted. I could see Switzer joining BB's WR Corps in NE that counts on more white guys than the Boston Celtics used to.

Back when Schnellenberger was at Miami following Jim Kelly's departure, he waited all the way until the very last minute to decide whether Bernie Kosar or the much more athletic Vinny Testaverde would start. Somewhere within the HC who watched his QBs every single practice got the vibe where Kosar would be the special QB that could take that program to a National Championship level. More specifically, he felt like Kosar could transcend the program to another level his much better athlete could not. As fate had it, Vinny's making the Oklahoma defense look like statues paved the way for a Heisman Trophy season stopping shy of beating Penn State for a National Championship. He also had a killer strong arm. Later on, the same 2 QBs would lead teams in Cleveland to playoffs but Kosar got us to Conference Championship Games while Vinny could only help us win the wild card game over NE. Turned out, Schnellenberger's ability to start the right guy paid huge dividends not only for Kosar but for his team as well. Such an ability by the HC is what led to Bernie being here with a consensus of approval beyond the nice local kid story. Charlie Frye and Brady Quinn were Ohio kids that didn't win enough to keep the locals interested in how wonderful it was to have a kid from Ohio QBing our favorite team in Cleveland.

Winning ultimately puts fannies in the seats and while NC was only 6-7 in 2014 they improved to 11-3 in 2015 with an 8-0 record in the ACC. It all starts on the practice field with the HC's ability to know what he has in each QB. I just find it interesting that Trubisky avoided Ohio State's offense only to join a very similar style of offense he'd end up only starting 1 year in. They stayed in a spread offense that Trubisky seemed equipped to run extremely well. He just never shined enough to bet out Williams or win more games in his final season at NC. Urban Meyer's former OC at Florida was Dak Prescott's HC at Miss State, who became a very good NFL QB long after Urban Meyer had Alex Smith drafted 1st overall. The right NFL settings can get help spread offense QBs mentioned here succeed while drafting this kind of Qb for the wrong setting like the one here is ill-advisable.

FWIW, I just don't have enough reasons to see anything us burning an upper first round pick on a 1 year starter. I could very well be wrong...

You chose to miss the entire point on purpose while refusing to acknowledge how many recent NC QBs have gone on to become franchise QBs. It was Trubisky's dream to play at Ohio State and he went and played for a similar style of offense at NC so let's not pretend it was a style offense snub as much as it was a case of being afraid of the challenge of beating out Barrett.

Well, I didn't miss anything on purpose. You are saying stuff here I didn't know about....assuming you are right.

Again,when Cardale upgraded Barrett during the 3 game stretch including the National Championship run with the best OC Ohio State has had in recent years - he was looking like an ideal NFL prospect during the tiny body of work.Then came more starts under a lesser OC and people learned why a bigger body of work should be weighed in. In essence, reasons were easily found why Cardale wasn't a long term starter.

Again, there's a well respected draft analyst (Mayock) for all his extensive research has cautioned people willing to be open about red flags. Is it really the 1 year of starting experience only or the countless reasons why he was only good enough to start 1 year for the HC who watched him practice every day since he arrived.

Most of the excuses for Williams don't have me thinking Fedora saw a special QB worthy of benching Williams over. Guys only good enough to start 1 year on their scholarship aren't advertising the next Peyton Manning at #1 overall. They just aren't. You know that - it's why you're clinging to stuff that really doesn't matter.

Well....there is another explanation: Fedora didn't know what he had.

Lots of coaches make errors in judgment about the quality of the QBs they have.

The Steelers cut Johnny Unitas.

The Browns cut Len Dawson.

Jerry Glanville and the Falcons traded Brett Favre.

Brian Sipe was drafted in round 13 and sat for like 4 years while our #3 overall pick floundered around.

Michigan's coach thought that Champ Henson was a better QB than Tom Brady.

For a while, Tom Landry thought Craig Morton was better than Roger Staubach.

Lets not even mention all the bust at QB that were taken so highly.

So....coaches and pundits are not perfect.

And neither am I and neither are you.

You chose to miss the entire point on purpose while refusing to acknowledge how many recent NC QBs have gone on to become franchise QBs. It was Trubisky's dream to play at Ohio State and he went and played for a similar style of offense at NC so let's not pretend it was a style offense snub as much as it was a case of being afraid of the challenge of beating out Barrett. - Flugel

Well, I didn't miss anything on purpose. You are saying stuff here I didn't know about....assuming you are right.

Again,when Cardale upgraded Barrett during the 3 game stretch including the National Championship run with the best OC Ohio State has had in recent years - he was looking like an ideal NFL prospect during the tiny body of work.Then came more starts under a lesser OC and people learned why a bigger body of work should be weighed in. In essence, reasons were easily found why Cardale wasn't a long term starter.

Most of the excuses for Williams don't have me thinking Fedora saw a special QB worthy of benching Williams over. Guys only good enough to start 1 year on their scholarship aren't advertising the next Peyton Manning at #1 overall. They just aren't. You know that - it's why you're clinging to stuff that really doesn't matter. - Flugel

Well....there is another explanation: Fedora didn't know what he had.

- Gips

Or, he knew his QB Marquise Williams was playing like a guy on his way to going 8-0 in the ACC and 11-3 overall in 2015 before Trubisky went 8-5 in 2016. This is why Mike Mayock asks why it's going to be easier for him to turn an NFL team like Cleveland/SF around? It's a legit line of thinking especially for the #1, #2 or even #12 overall pick. He seems like he would be a much better choice for us at #33 overall. A lot of the perceived gotta haves on defense could go before #12 and it might open my mind up a little more to him there. I'm just not there yet. I wouldn't consider Watson that high - but I wouldn't hate it if we drafted him at #33. I actually think #33 overall is a much more appropriate spot for both Trubisky and Watson; but the limited QB supply for a big demand probably means 2 teams reach for these guys. I just hope we're not one of them at this time. - Flugel

Lots of coaches make errors in judgment about the quality of the QBs they have.

The Steelers cut Johnny Unitas.

The Browns cut Len Dawson.

Jerry Glanville and the Falcons traded Brett Favre.

- Gips

There's a side of that people forget to include as to why Glanville would give up so quickly on a 2nd round QB. He's either really stupid or perhaps he knew Favre was drunk and partying way more than he should have as a rookie which spilled over into being tardy for meetings and/or falling asleep in them and not knowing the playbook. The car accident that almost killed Favre at So Miss was because the person driving the car he was in was drunk like all of the passengers. Football wasn't the only reason Favre said he saw a lot of himself in Manziel. Lucky for him, he surrounded himself with the right people up in GB to make the HOF career possible. - Flugel

Brian Sipe was drafted in round 13 and sat for like 4 years while our #3 overall pick floundered around.

Michigan's coach thought that Champ Henson was a better QB than Tom Brady.

For a while, Tom Landry thought Craig Morton was better than Roger Staubach.

Lets not even mention all the bust at QB that were taken so highly.

So....coaches and pundits are not perfect.

And neither am I and neither are you. - Gips

Fair enough... - Flugel

Or, he knew his QB Marquise Williams was playing like a guy on his way to going 8-0 in the ACC and 11-3 overall in 2015 before Trubisky went 8-5 in 2016. This is why Mike Mayock asks why it's going to be easier for him to turn an NFL team like Cleveland/SF around? It's a legit line of thinking especially for the #1, #2 or even #12 overall pick. He seems like he would be a much better choice for us at #33 overall. A lot of the perceived gotta haves on defense could go before #12 and it might open my mind up a little more to him there. I'm just not there yet. I wouldn't consider Watson that high - but I wouldn't hate it if we drafted him at #33. I actually think #33 overall is a much more appropriate spot for both Trubisky and Watson; but the limited QB supply for a big demand probably means 2 teams reach for these guys. I just hope we're not one of them at this time. - Flugel

Flugs....it is truly a waste of time to think that the Browns could get MT anywhere but at #1. It really is. There are too many QB needy teams: 5-6 of the teams that draft in the Top Ten need one. The Top 3 could easily be gone by the #10 pick. Nope, if we are going to get a QB....a top rated one, then it has to be at #1.

Beyond that, we would have to likely go down to round 3 again. I don't want another Kessler/McCoy/Frye.

Sure, we could strike gold and get a Russell Wilson...but that is likely fool's gold for us. Do you think that Brad Kaaya will be the second coming of Russell Wilson?

Nope, if you don't get a guy at #1 overall, I think we can forget it.

Flugs....it is truly a waste of time to think that the Browns could get MT anywhere but at #1. It really is. There are too many QB needy teams: 5-6 of the teams that draft in the Top Ten need one. The Top 3 could easily be gone by the #10 pick. Nope, if we are going to get a QB....a top rated one, then it has to be at #1.

Beyond that, we would have to likely go down to round 3 again. I don't want another Kessler/McCoy/Frye.

Sure, we could strike gold and get a Russell Wilson...but that is likely fool's gold for us. Do you think that Brad Kaaya will be the second coming of Russell Wilson?

Nope, if you don't get a guy at #1 overall, I think we can forget it.

I agree with ya Gip. problem is- the idea of Garrett @ #1 is growing on me- and you know how I feel about Mitch. I can only hope one of those qb needy teams is so enamored about Garropolo they're willing to blow one of their top picks on him. LOL, would Bill be willing to trade his supposed stud backup to the Jets?

If we're going high on a qb, my POV it's Trubisky or nobody. Watson and Kizer don't cut it for me.

I agree with ya Gip. problem is- the idea of Garrett @ #1 is growing on me- and you know how I feel about Mitch. I can only hope one of those qb needy teams is so enamored about Garropolo they're willing to blow one of their top picks on him. LOL, would Bill be willing to trade his supposed stud backup to the Jets?

If we're going high on a qb, my POV it's Trubisky or nobody. Watson and Kizer don't cut it for me.

Larry, your Jimmy the Greek hunch might not be that far off. Keep in mind, JG played his college ball in Illinois so he might have more of an intrigue for Chicago than the cup of coffee in Cleveland that might include adding his name to the t-shirt of Rent-a-wrecks.

It's conceivable this FO/staff might like Trubisky especially if a lot of the defensive gotta haves get picked before #12. If Howard gets picked by then, I might end up being a lot more open/excited about him than I seem to be today. We've messed up with QBs so much - it's tough for me to get excited about any of them in round 1. Things could change that by the time we're on the clock at #12 especially if OJ Howard gets picked before that.

Larry, your Jimmy the Greek hunch might not be that far off. Keep in mind, JG played his college ball in Illinois so he might have more of an intrigue for Chicago than the cup of coffee in Cleveland that might include adding his name to the t-shirt of Rent-a-wrecks.

It's conceivable this FO/staff might like Trubisky especially if a lot of the defensive gotta haves get picked before #12. If Howard gets picked by then, I might end up being a lot more open/excited about him than I seem to be today. We've messed up with QBs so much - it's tough for me to get excited about any of them in round 1. Things could change that by the time we're on the clock at #12 especially if OJ Howard gets picked before that.

Flugs, if Trubisky lasts until 12, then you gotta come up to where I would have add you to the list with Stan and Z who I would have to buy a pitcher of Margaritas and a Mexican dinner.

"Mitch could have started all three years he was here. For reasons outside his control, he didn't." - K. Heckendorf, UNC QB Coach.

"I went to Eastern Illinois because I didn't want to be 7th string in the Big Ten..." -Jimmy Garapolo.

"Mitch could have started all three years he was here. For reasons outside his control, he didn't." - K. Heckendorf, UNC QB Coach.

"I went to Eastern Illinois because I didn't want to be 7th string in the Big Ten..." -Jimmy Garapolo.

Not starting is not starting despite the reality a NC coach wants Trubisky too help their recruiting. You know that's important to their program CD. NC went 11-3 the last year Trubisky didn't start - I'd say that's the best reason he didn't start. NC went 8-5 the only year he did start.

I'm not wanting us to trade for a QB CD. I know Trubisky is from Mentor, Ohio so there's a local kid attraction.

There's things I like about Trubisky. Since we're talking about the 1st overall or the 12th overall pick I'm just a little more willing to notice only starting 1 year had his HC seeing some more red flags than people loving the local kid story. It'll be interesting to see if he tempts/excites me more for the 12th overall pick if certain guys get picked before #12 on draft day. Saying I'd be okay with him at #33 overall isn't exactly an insult.

Not starting is not starting despite the reality a NC coach wants Trubisky too help their recruiting. You know that's important to their program CD. NC went 11-3 the last year Trubisky didn't start - I'd say that's the best reason he didn't start. NC went 8-5 the only year he did start.

I'm not wanting us to trade for a QB CD. I know Trubisky is from Mentor, Ohio so there's a local kid attraction.

There's things I like about Trubisky. Since we're talking about the 1st overall or the 12thg overall pick I'm just a little more willing to notice only starting 1 year had his HC seeing some red flags than people loving the local kid story.

Knowing our luck, we'll trade a first round pick to NE for JG and they wiill use it to draft Mitch.

I'm on record as saying that if the Browns draft offense, I want Mitch, If they go defense I want Garrett.

It would be great if they could land both.

I'm lost...

Is the argument now that Trubs should have gone to Eastern Illinois, or that Marquise had naked photos of his HC with a male cheerleader and threatened to post them in our Hot Cheerleader thread?

1) Question is- who had the control? I'm sure the Browns will be asking that question.

2) Ha- so why didn't hot prospect Jimmy at least get an offer from Northwestern? Or did he? Inquiring minds want to know.

Let's be fair about this- I'm getting increasingly annoyed about the college hoopla signing day BS. Ranking who had the best haul of HS prospects. Kids develop at different rates- kiss my ass if every 5 star recruit is going to turn into another Myles Garrett, Andrew Luck or Julio Jones. They just hit their peak in HS. The NFL is full of guys from colleges like Grambling, Alcorn, Coastal Carolina, LOL North Dakota State and similar of guys who the "power conferences" deemed not worthy of their consideration.

While the numbers looked decent....is there ever a time last year that you thought that Kessler was ever capable of winning a game?

Actually yes, IF we had had an injury free OL and a defense that could stop other teams and create turnovers. So if we have that this year, then the answer is yes, I think this team can win with him.

Archived