THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of the 5 GM types polled McCarron was mentioned twice, more than any other QB.

Except Romo. I mean, are you really trying to sell us on AJ McCarron, franchise saviour? It's not like he's backing up Brady, if he were that good he'd beat out the red BB gun.

gftChris---Dalton just played in the Pro Bowl. Again.

Which doesn't count for much, to be honest. The amount of players that end up getting in that game is obscene. I'm not saying Dalton is *bad* but like I said first time, he's not exactly Brady. The Dalton Line is a thing for a reason, and McCarron is clearly below it.

gftChris---Playing in the Pro Bowl doesn't count for much seems like big talk for a guy who spends his weekends rooting for RG3.

OK so you don't have anything constructive to add to the debate? I guess we're done then.

gftChris---How can we be done when you never got started? As for constructive content, you can belittle the Pro Bowl all you want, but I think multiple appearances in that game make a mockery of your rant about McCarron being a back up Dalton. McCarron and Garappolo are both considered potential starters who haven't gotten a chance to play much precisely because the starters ahead of them are unchallenged. Why anyone would want to waste time debating how much better Brady is over Dalton is beyond me, but who am I to judge how a brownie fan spends his time?

BTW, there are a couple of named GM types who have weighed in on this. Charlie Casserly says Garappolo is better than any QB in this draft. And Bill Polian goes him one better by saying AJ McCarron is better than any QB in this class AND better than Garappolo too. Funnier still, Polian practically spits whenever someone mentions drafting Trubisky 1st overall.

TexasAg1969---Common courtesy has nothing to do with it. Gipper insults people while asking them for information. Ain't nobody got time for that.

I didn't insult you. You insulted yourself. Your belief that there is no mindset that teams refuse to trade intradivision is just mind numbingly ignorant. Can't help it that you cannot discern that for yourself.

gftChris---How can we be done when you never got started? As for constructive content, you can belittle the Pro Bowl all you want, but I think multiple appearances in that game make a mockery of your rant about McCarron being a back up Dalton. McCarron and Garappolo are both considered potential starters who haven't gotten a chance to play much precisely because the starters ahead of them are unchallenged. Why anyone would want to waste time debating how much better Brady is over Dalton is beyond me, but who am I to judge how a brownie fan spends his time?

BTW, there are a couple of named GM types who have weighed in on this. Charlie Casserly says Garappolo is better than any QB in this draft. And Bill Polian goes him one better by saying AJ McCarron is better than any QB in this class AND better than Garappolo too. Funnier still, Polian practically spits whenever someone mentions drafting Trubisky 1st overall.

So, are you saying Polian and Casserly are infallible? While Polian has made a lot of good personell decisions, he is not faultless.

While Polian has done a great job building the Bills and the Colts, I am sure he has made mistakes. He is best known for taking Peyton instead of Ryan Leaf. By the way....he is NOT the guy that drafted Jim Kelly. That was done before he got there. But....he may have been the guy that got Kelly to go back to the Bills after his USFL stint.

Hey....WTF. If both guys are right....then maybe all the other personell people of the NFL will listen to them and not draft any QBs in round one. They will all be on the board for the Browns for us to ponder at pick #33. That is what would happen if both Polian and Casserly got their way, no? Think that will happen? Not on your freeking life.

I mean, are you really trying to sell us on AJ McCarron, franchise saviour?

I don't think anyone is saying "saviour"... simply another option... one some of us like better than the other options before us.

Bill Polian goes him one better by saying AJ McCarron is better than any QB in this class AND better than Garappolo too.

Had not seen that... I did see him state that AJ's end-of-2015 stint was more meaningful, more pressurized than JG's first 9-quarters of 2016.

I don't think anyone is saying "saviour"... simply another option... one some of us like better than the other options before us.

Had not seen that... I did see him state that AJ's end-of-2015 stint was more meaningful, more pressurized than JG's first 9-quarters of 2016.

I think he implied that yes, McCarron had more experience in more meaningful situations.

Gip---One minute you're griping about anonymous GM sources, the next you're waxing poetic about how Polian and Casserly aren't infallible. At what point do you stop being pointless?

Tour---Polian loves McCarron. Has for years. Years ago he was probably the first to give the Bengals huge props for having the foresight to draft and stash an injured McCarron, and has spoken often about his value as a trade chip since last year. And Polian not only said McCarron's pro experience was more pressurized and meaningful he absolutely gushes about his time at Alabama. Just yesterday I heard him say McCarron was better than any QB in the coming draft, and he stated flatly that McCarron was worth a 1st round pick.

Hoorta --- You're about the 5th or 6th Brownie to argue McCarron isn't worth today what the Bengals turned down in trade last year.

It's almost like you guys don't know the value of numbers.

Assuming McCarron was shopped last year, every other team thought the Bengals asking price was too high, or they thought the offers were too low. Sure, you can ask whatever the hell you want to for a player- draw your own conclusions. I said you (and the Bengals) are overvaluing McCarron. My valuation was low 4th- the bottom end of the pro evaluators said high 3rd. Polian might think AJ is worth a first round pick, but I can damn guarantee you it won't be coming from the Browns. There is no way in hell the Browns would ship the Bengals one of their first rounders this year- even if they trade out of #12- too many holes elsewhere. BTW Hue "the quarterback whisperer" ran out of cred when he said "just trust me" on Kessler, who happens to be mighty similar to McCarron. He might have a say in what qb the Browns pick up- but it won't be the final say. Hate to tell you plenty of the draft simulations have Trubisky going high in the first round, and if Garrett wasn't in this draft- he'd probably be mocked to the Browns @ #1 overall.

Hey, did any of you dinks get a chance to read Daniel Jeremiah's recent NFL.com article where he asks 5 NFL GM types which current NFL QB's they would attempt to get if they were desperate for a new QB?

Two out of five specifically mentioned McCarron as the player they'd target, and one even suggested a trading a 2nd or 3rd round pick as a reasonable strategy.

None of the five felt trading for Garappolo or staying put to draft Trubisky was the answer. In fact, even Davis Webb got more votes than those guys.

And Dick Shiner wasn't mentioned at all.

Except Charley Casserly- and if he's so great at talent evaluation, he'd still be working for an NFL team.

Except Romo. I mean, are you really trying to sell us on AJ McCarron, franchise saviour? It's not like he's backing up Brady, if he were that good he'd beat out the red BB gun.

Yeah- Uma is saying Andy made the Pro Bowl he's so great, and McCarron can't beat him out. He only made it because Brady was in the SB, and Rothlisberger was hurt. I already pointed out to him Dalton is not Tom Brady- not even close. I counted around 18 teams that would laugh at the Bengals to swap their starting qbs straight up for Dalton. He's a mid level starter. Sorry about that Uma- want me to comment on how great he is in the playoffs?

McCarron to my mind is another stopgap, say Bryan Hoyer good. Just because we need a qb doesn't mean we're going to shuffle through mediocrity.

Gip---One minute you're griping about anonymous GM sources, the next you're waxing poetic about how Polian and Casserly aren't infallible. At what point do you stop being pointless?

I don't see why you think that such things are imcompatible or really have anything to do with the other.

Sorry...if someone has an opinion...they should own up to it and put there name on it.

At least Polian and Casserly do that.

And yes, they are not infallible. That is a no shit sherlock statement. We are all fallible, if you will.

Tour---Polian loves McCarron. Has for years. Years ago he was probably the first to give the Bengals huge props for having the foresight to draft and stash an injured McCarron, and has spoken often about his value as a trade chip since last year. And Polian not only said McCarron's pro experience was more pressurized and meaningful he absolutely gushes about his time at Alabama. Just yesterday I heard him say McCarron was better than any QB in the coming draft, and he stated flatly that McCarron was worth a 1st round pick.

Maybe Polian just wants to fuck his wife....like Brent Musberger.

Just yesterday I heard him say McCarron was better than any QB in the coming draft, and he stated flatly that McCarron was worth a 1st round pick.

Get off our Lawn :o .Your holding up Bills Fans negotiating Tyrod Taylor trade..Boo McFagley needs a back-up..he's not hard to find..

Hoorta---You should hear yourself. Andy Dalton was a Pro Bowl QB, but he was the 3rd guy they called. Sniff!

And we both know how much would you'd love to have a competent mid level QB, nevermind a 2-time Pro Bowler like Dalton. Hell, I'm guessing you'd kill to have Brian Hoyer back.

As for Hue losing credibility with you? I say it was bound to happen. IMO Hue overthinks everything and his mad scientist reputation is grossly overrated. He's running his own show now, presumably, but when he was with the Bengals he ran a version of Jay Gruden's offensive scheme. And when he was HC of the Raiders he ran of version of Bob Bratkowski's old Bengal scheme. As a playcaller he's innovative but frustratingly hit or miss.

More troubling, as a RB coach Hue oversaw the remaking of the Bengals running game, and then as OC he managed it's rapid decline. I'd be a rich man if I had a dollar for every time Hue Jackson promised to...."get the Bengals running game turnt." He never did and his reward for his lasting failure was a head coaching job. I wasn't unhappy to see him go.

Last, I'm pretty happy to hear so many draft simulations have Trubisky going in the 1st round. Trust me, almost nothing would make me happier than seeing the Browns select Trubisky 1st overall OR blindly hand Jimmy Garappolo 25 bags of money. Makes me get tingly all over just thinking about it. But obviously as a Bengal fan I'd rather talk about McCarron, mostly because he is being shopped and you guys are always buyers.

Both Rg3 and Kessler were picked by Hue. For better or worse, I doubt he is eager to replace them so quickly. Let other teams get in bidding wars over McCarron and Garoppolo, I hope the Browns keep their draft picks and fill in some holes before getting another stopgap QB. I don't see McCarron or Garoppolo as franchise saviors who can drag the Browns to victory. If it were up to me, I'd stick with Kessler another year.

Hoorta---You should hear yourself. Andy Dalton was a Pro Bowl QB, but he was the 3rd guy they called. Sniff!

And we both know how much would you'd love to have a competent mid level QB, nevermind a 2-time Pro Bowler like Dalton. Hell, I'm guessing you'd kill to have Brian Hoyer back.

As for Hue losing credibility with you? I say it was bound to happen. IMO Hue overthinks everything and his mad scientist reputation is grossly overrated. He's running his own show now, presumably, but when he was with the Bengals he ran a version of Jay Gruden's offensive scheme. And when he was HC of the Raiders he ran of version of Bob Bratkowski's old Bengal scheme. As a playcaller he's innovative but frustratingly hit or miss.

More troubling, as a RB coach Hue oversaw the remaking of the Bengals running game, and then as OC he managed it's rapid decline. I'd be a rich man if I had a dollar for every time Hue Jackson promised to...."get the Bengals running game turnt." He never did and his reward for his lasting failure was a head coaching job. I wasn't unhappy to see him go.

Last, I'm pretty happy to hear so many draft simulations have Trubisky going in the 1st round. Trust me, almost nothing would make me happier than seeing the Browns select Trubisky 1st overall OR blindly hand Jimmy Garappolo 25 bags of money. Makes me get tingly all over just thinking about it. But obviously as a Bengal fan I'd rather talk about McCarron, mostly because he is being shopped and you guys are always buyers.

Anything's possible, but the odds of the Browns trading for McCarron (especially a high pick) are only slightly better than the Browns playing in the next Super Bowl.

I'm not running the Browns- but if I was, I wouldn't be shopping in the backup quarterback market.

BTW, Ghoolie called Hue trash before the season even started, and should be fired before he ever coached a regular season game. You think we're already tired of his "we have to play better" mantra after every loss? Well, no shit. Regarding his qb selections- a fair percentage of Browns fans went WTF, and were disgusted when he signed Griffin. I said that when Hue felt "the Earth move" working out Griffin in a t-shirt and shorts- it was a garbage truck dumping a load right behind him.

Well, lets consider the AFC QBs out there: You would not take Dalton over: Brady, BR, Flacco, Luck, Smith, Carr, Rivers.

Mariota is up and coming and will be better than Dalton.

That leaves Dalton possibly a better choice than: Trevor Siemian. Brock Osweiler maybe Bortles (maybe not), maybe Tannehill (maybe not) maybe Tyrod Taylor (maybe not). Whatever the Jets put out there, whatever the Browns put out there.

So, I see where he is clearly a better QB than what only 3 AFC teams put on the field,...and maybe better than 3 others...and maybe not.

Go ahead...take a survey of the group here. Which AFC QBs would or would you not prefer to have over Dalton.

He is only middle of the road, at best.

He makes the Pro Bowl because all those other guys bow out...feign injury.

Well, lets consider the AFC QBs out there: You would not take Dalton over: Brady, BR, Flacco, Luck, Smith, Carr, Rivers.

Mariota is up and coming and will be better than Dalton.

That leaves Dalton possibly a better choice than: Trevor Siemian. Brock Osweiler maybe Bortles (maybe not), maybe Tannehill (maybe not) maybe Tyrod Taylor (maybe not). Whatever the Jets put out there, whatever the Browns put out there.

So, I see where he is clearly a better QB than what only 3 AFC teams put on the field,...and maybe better than 3 others...and maybe not.

Go ahead...take a survey of the group here. Which AFC QBs would or would you not prefer to have over Dalton.

He is only middle of the road, at best.

He makes the Pro Bowl because all those other guys bow out...feign injury.

And NFC- Here's the nopes- Prescott, Manning, Cousins, Stafford, Rodgers, Ryan, Brees, Newton, Winston, Wilson. So I stand by my 18, more like 22. Wentz (jury out, and the Eagles aren't trading him) Vikings might trade you Bradford for him, but not Bridgewater.

That he's better than what the Browns have had lately isn't the point. I said mid level qb compared to the rest of the league, and I'll stand by that. If you think he's top 10, I'm not going to debate you. And El Foldo Grande in the playoffs. 0-4, 1 TD 6 ints, and a stellar 58 qbr.

Gipper---I'm taking Dalton over Flacco, Smith, Carr, and aging hillbilly Phillip Rivers faster than you can look in the mirror and say the word bloviate. And without any prompting from me you just admitted that Mariota, drafted top3 overall, isn't better than Dalton yet, and may never be. Plus, Mariotta has a severely broken leg, courtesy of the running skills he has that have almost no value in the Bengals passing scheme. Simply put, no black Tarkentons or impromptu playmakers are needed in a passing offense built around the pre-snap read, precise route running & timing, and above all....the QB getting the ball out of his hands in under 3 beats. Fast legs, a rocket arm, and a great set of tits are not required. Moving on, I also take Dalton over Siemian, Tannehill, and Osweiler, the latter being noteworthy only because it was the Texans who were thought by many to be the team that attempted to trade for McCarron last year. That leaves me taking Dalton over whatever the Browns and Jets throw against the wall on any given week.

Bottom Line: Andy Dalton is no Dick Shiner. Rather, he's a two-time Pro Bowl QB and even his backup is better than your current starter.

Hoorta---That Dalton is better than anything the Browns have is exactly the point.

Well, that, and the fact that McCarron is also better than anything on your roster. And Garappolo too, right? So rather than concern yourself with the 18 or so QBs you think are better than Dalton try focusing on the 40 or so NFL starting AND backup QB's who are better than any of your teams QB's. And then factor in the handful of college QB's who are better.

Finally, there's Canada to consider.

Gipper---I'm taking Dalton over Flacco, Smith, Carr, and aging hillbilly Phillip Rivers faster than you can look in the mirror and say the word bloviate.

Well, you can if you want....but no one here would, nor likely any NFL teams either.

And without any prompting from me you just admitted that Mariota, drafted top3 overall, isn't better than Dalton yet, and may never be. Plus, Mariotta has a severely broken leg, courtesy of the running skills he has that have almost no value in the Bengals passing scheme.

No...I said that Mariota is young. Only played two years. I would right here, right now take him over Dalton...and again...so would likely every NFL team.

Simply put, no black Tarkentons or impromptu playmakers are needed in a passing offense built around the pre-snap read, precise route running & timing, and above all....the QB getting the ball out of his hands in under 3 beats. Fast legs, a rocket arm, and a great set of tits are not required. Moving on, I also take Dalton over Siemian, Tannehill, and Osweiler, the latter being noteworthy only because it was the Texans who were thought by many to be the team that attempted to trade for McCarron last year. That leaves me taking Dalton over whatever the Browns and Jets throw against the wall on any given week.

Bottom Line: Andy Dalton is no Dick Shiner. Rather, he's a two-time Pro Bowl QB and even his backup is better than your current starter.

And that's really going to be your big climax.....they are better than what the Browns got?

Fucking hell, man....you just won the lottery in a slam dunk. My God...open up the Gates at 2121 George Halas Dr. Canton OH. Let the guy enter with a flourish.

ROTFLMFAO

Hoorta---That Dalton is better than anything the Browns have is exactly the point.

Well, that, and the fact that McCarron is also better than anything on your roster. And Garappolo too, right? So rather than concern yourself with the 18 or so QBs you think are better than Dalton try focusing on the 40 or so NFL starting AND backup QB's who are better than any of your teams QB's. And then factor in the handful of college QB's who are better.

Finally, there's Canada to consider.

Have you been reading this forum, or have you just been contemplating your navel? What do you think all these threads are about?

A aging hillbilly Phillip Rivers. Fat legs, MY rocket, and a great set of tits are required. I also squirt my Siemian over Dalton, That leaves Umadogg taking Dalton to locker room showers..

Bottom Line: Andy Dalton is a Dick and even his Mother is a better QB..

FIFY..hillbillies rule B)

Archived