THE BROWNS BOARD

Jimmy Garoppolo Speculation

jiggins7919

Top 5 AJ McCarron thread starters:

1) - Wife Katherine Webb is smoking hot. Google her and prepare to be fully Musbergered, you dirty old man.

2) - AJ's upper body is covered in hand drawn Jeebus tats and his head has a massive scar left over from a boating accident. So colorful. Discuss!

3) - Has the "it" factor. Can't be defined but you'll know it when you see it. (Massive head scar looks like a halo to some.)

4) - Doesn't require 25m commitment. 2017 salary less than 675k and won't be a RFA until 2018. Trade for and audition for 2 years at minimal real costs.

5) = Free Rustproofing. What do I have to do to put you in this QB today?

Well......if that happened, it would have to be one of the rarest events in the NFL: trading a QB intradivision.

I mean, as far as I know, the last time a trade intradivision was made involving the Browns it was when the Browns traded Dick Shiner to the Steelers for Bill Nelsen. (and the Browns got the far better end of that trade).

Does anyone know of it happening since?

Bottom line....if the Bengals do think about trading McCarron, the last place they would trade him is either Cleveland/Pitt. or Baltimore.

Fair to say?

• Replies 664
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have absolutely nothing to do with any of that. Not within my powers nor my responsibilities and I wouldn't have considered doing it in the first place anyway.

To tell you the truth I have no idea why it happened, unless you are a Squeelers fan.

WSS

Boo just keeps playing Fantasy Football with the Patriots. He keeps thinking that absolutely absurd things are going to happen.

He is a bit like PoG and his man crushes for the likes of Trent Richardson.

It wasn't that long ago when NE was trying to fool teams into Vanilla Ice Jr (Mallett).

And all the former Patriot employees that brought Matt Cassell to KC got fired when he wasn't anything close to the 10 game winner he was 1 year under BB in NE. BB got the Cinderella story before midnight while KC got the toothless hag after midnight for 10x the cap hit.

Nice. A good fairy tale.

Just like the one about the Browns trading like #12 for JG. Fairy tale.

If Ryan Mallet is Vanilla Ice Jr., the Jimmy Garropolo is Joey Fatone Jr.

Well......if that happened, it would have to be one of the rarest events in the NFL: trading a QB intradivision.

I mean, as far as I know, the last time a trade intradivision was made involving the Browns it was when the Browns traded Dick Shiner to the Steelers for Bill Nelsen. (and the Browns got the far better end of that trade).

Does anyone know of it happening since?

Bottom line....if the Bengals do think about trading McCarron, the last place they would trade him is either Cleveland/Pitt. or Baltimore.

Fair to say?

The Browns just traded Gilbert to Pittsburgh (for them to cut). I've been saying it for a while but the reason you've given is the reason I cannot see McCarron in Cleveland.

I am bordering on trolling?

Dont you think that Garroplos agent would like a payday? Why would the Pats make Garrapolo sit for how many more years until Brady retires? Can you fathom that Garrapolo wants to play something he has likely dreamed about all his life - NFL football on Sunday? Its a QB weak NFL draft. Should the Pats hang on to Jimmy Garropolo until the next NFL draft thats loaded with QBs?

The Patriots have always had QBs in development - Rohan Davey, Brian Hoyer, Michael Bishop, Ryan Mallet, Kliff Klingsbury. Matt Cassel.

The whole he cant be any good if Team X is letting him go argument is ridiculous, TJ Ward was let go. He looked OK winning the Super Bowl last year. Martellius Bennet is moving on from NE. He must not be any good. The Steelers let Legarret Blount walk. I sure am glad that he isnt any good 18 TDs this season and a Super Bowl ring later.

Rolling out those names is an excellent reason why Browns fans are sceptical! You already have said at least once "it's different this time with Jimmy." Proves you're arguing in circles, and repeating yourself. The track record of players released or traded by Bill is less than stellar. So sorry if I have trouble believing Jimmy can be a long term multiple pro bowl answer for the Browns.

Regarding Ward, it was just one of many horrible decisions by a clueless FO. Sheard, Schwartz, Gabriel- I could go on.

The Browns just traded Gilbert to Pittsburgh (for them to cut). I've been saying it for a while but the reason you've given is the reason I cannot see McCarron in Cleveland.

True. I think the only way McCarron would get here is via FA, which isn't in 2017.

True. I think the only way McCarron would get here is via FA, which isn't in 2017.

Interesting Flugs the other backup in the discussion McCarron gets around 5 comments- including a few by our pal Ummadog, and this thread is 14 pages and counting. It's getting me ill all of the attention on Garropolo. The flavor of the week- more attention than Watson or Kizer- combined. Here's some backup to my point- the latest media's nut hugging fascination over the guy. Is it getting fueled by Bill and his minions- or do they collectively have the cumulative insight of a groundhog about Jimmy? To their credit, at least some of the Browns media deservedly isn't wearing the rose colored glasses. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000785403/article/charley-casserly-mock-draft-10-trades-shake-up-round-1

They're just not going to let this die. BARF! Seriously- why do New England's backup quarterbacks get all this media love and attention? It's not like plenty of them have flopped badly after they've left the cozy environment of Foxboro. From a Browns fans perspective the lines in the sand are pretty much drawn already.

1) Don't want him under any circumstance.

2) OK with a trade at the right price

3) Sure, ship the Patriots our #12 and something more to get him, he's gonna be the BOMB.

The simplistic media groupthink is well- the Browns are going to get Garrett with the #1, and they'll be happy to get their QBOTF in Jimmy with that extra pick in the first round. I have to hope Sashi, DePo, and Hue aren't that shallow. They're going to analyze every one of LOL Jimmy's 94 NFL passes- thoroughly. The ONLY way they're going to pull the trigger on a trade like that is if they're 100% certain Garropolo is the real deal, and he's a better option than one of the many top players available @ #12, and there isn't a 2017 qb prospect that might turn out better. It also flies in the face of our Front office's desire to add draft picks, not trade them away.

I don't really remember anyone crying over Gabriel at the time of his release. Think a large majority of people were tired of the Smurfs. Considering how poor his second year was, followed by a poor camp, thought the move was fine.

So he blossomed whilst having a fqb and true #1 across from him. Think the real lesson is to ease up on expectations...Players are deemed all-pro or busts by this fanbase after their first few games, so maybe the way to look at this would be that's players often need time before the light goes on.

Not here tho...Produce from your first game on or you'll be replaced by another guy that'll be given 4 games to prove it.

I don't really remember anyone crying over Gabriel at the time of his release. Think a large majority of people were tired of the Smurfs. Considering how poor his second year was, followed by a poor camp, thought the move was fine.

So he blossomed whilst having a fqb and true #1 across from him. Think the real lesson is to ease up on expectations...Players are deemed all-pro or busts by this fanbase after their first few games, so maybe the way to look at this would be that's players often need time before the light goes on.

Not here tho...Produce from your first game on or you'll be replaced by another guy that'll be given 4 games to prove it.

Well, they released Gabriel and kept every one of their rookie wr draft picks. I thought that was FO arrogance. Coleman produced little, and the rest of the crew virtually nothing. So keep Coleman and DeValve, and get rid of the rest of the crew. :)

There's a few of us who thought (notably Tour) who felt cutting Gabriel was a mistake.

Well, they released Gabriel and kept every one of their rookie wr draft picks. I thought that was FO arrogance. Coleman produced little, and the rest of the crew virtually nothing. So keep Coleman and DeValve, and get rid of the rest of the crew. :)

There's a few of us who thought (notably Tour) who felt cutting Gabriel was a mistake.

Everyone seems to forget that football is a team sport. Unless the Browns got their own version of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, Gabriel was not going to flourish in Cleveland. Put another way, Gabriel had the season he did with Atlanta because he was with Atlanta. He would not have had that season in Cleveland.

HA! Glad to see you back here Choco.

Colt McCoy has to be thinking "where was Choco when I had about 60,000 Hatfields ready to kill me during my 3rd start?"

Nice of you to "notab".... ;)

I think I was making a case for his youth over Hawk, who you might also remember I wanted to trade after his "career" year with us. Just seemed the better fit with our youth movement and Hawk had a couple injury issues in 2015. However, the counter-case of keeping Hawk as a vet presence in the WR room had merit. Unfortunately now his concussed 2016 campaign has him considering retirement.

That said.... I do agree with Osiris that Gabe would not have had the kind of year here that he posted in ATL.

I was there also...never thought they should have cut gabriel...we did not have a qb that could actually get him the ball in stride...i remember at least 2 or 3 occasions where he ran 50 yd post patterns and was open by 10 yds but had to wait for the ball and then got tackled and we end up with a fg instead of 6....that was when we had hoyer me thinks...again, we have a shitass front ofc. drafting players based on whatever anal itics they are looking at..

Gabriel averaged 17.3 yards per catch for us in 2014 in Shanny's offense so that definitely made him intriguing for upside. Unfortunately, when Flip's Flop arrived in 2015 - he averaged only 8.8 yards per catch. He also got post traumatic stress in the bubble screen Flip designed with a very skinny Travis Benjamin on the apex as the lead blocker. Those Philly DBs were lighting up our little guys and Phil Simms was talking about what an advantage St Louis enjoyed. Shanny's scheme wouldn't have played into their favor nearly as much. Flip was advised in order for the zbs to work effectively, you can't part time it because certain running plays from specific formations set up the play action perks for the passing game.

Anyway, Gabriel returned to his most favorable scheme under the best OC for him (Shanny). As someone else said, he also had the luxury of an MVP QB like Matt Ryan while Julio Jones commanded so much attention it made life easier on other receivers.

In training camp in Cleveland, Gabriel was learning his 3rd different offense in 3 years so he wasn't about to look as good here as all the stuff that would make him a productive beneficiary in Atlanta. He was a hard working kid so I'm happy for him.

Bingo

So many things have to come together to win no matter who the Browns get at QB.

Notably a defense that isn't #31 in the NFL, drafting Garrett will help Collins immensely.

No, I am not arguing in circles.

Of all the QBs that Belichick has developed Garrapolo looks the best IMO. NE took him in the 2nd round when they did not need a QB in that draft.

The horrid track record of players traded by Belichick is because many of those teams did not a good culture in place. Jamie Collins is not going to thrive if the Browns don't get their act together with a good system and group of players that fit that system.

It's not just culture- the player has to have the talent. Garropolo may have talent- BTW, my feeling is somewhere between the #1 and #2 on that scale I just posted. Not like I can do anything about it. Then again- it would just go back to rehashing things for the tenth time- the basic question- why would Bill be willing to trade him if he thinks he's Brady's heir apparent? He's a cheap insurance policy if Brady should get injured.

You have to admit- there's something weird about the National media's fascination with backup Patriot quarterbacks. Winning Super Bowl teams get all the attention? I suppose it will be nice- in a bad way- of all the speculation leading up to the draft- what will the Browns do?

Part of Jimmy G's perceived "value" stems from the perception that NE has an enhanced ability to spot QB value in the draft. An article I posted yesterday(?) poked at that perception.

The point of the article's early focus on Bill B. and the Pats' org was that there is no track record of finding QB gems throughout the draft. Cassel is the only, former-Brady backups to lead his "new team" to a winning season after leaving NE... and he did it once. What Bill is good at is churning through QBs in the draft in hopes of finding cheap, serviceable backups that he believes, given time in his system, can win, if needed.

He hit Gold once with Brady. He hit Silver once with Cassell... which he turned into gold via trade. Bronze and Tin? They just fall through the sieve and leave... sometimes after unsuccessful tries to generate trade interest in them.

We are supposed to make something of the fact that Bill spent his highest, QB pick ever on Jimmy G. But if you look at the Pats trend since Cassell they have been fishing in higher-pick waters. And the one time in 17 years they struck Gold, they kept it.

Here's the list of rostered QBs not named Brady during Tom's career and the pick spent upon them, if any:

• 2016 Jimmy Garoppolo, Jacoby Brisett (R3 #91)

• 2015 Garoppolo

• 2014 Garoppolo (R2 #62), Garrett Gilbert

• 2013 Ryan Mallett, Tim Tebow

• 2012 Mallett

• 2011 Brian Hoyer, Mallett (R3 #74)

• 2010 Hoyer, Jonathan Compton (Zac Robinson R7 #250 was cut)

• 2009 Hoyer, Andrew Walter

• 2008 Matt Guitierrez, Kevin O'Connell (R3 #94)

• 2007 Matt Cassell, Guitierrez

• 2006 Cassell, Todd Mortensen

• 2005 Doug Flutie, Cassell (R7, #230)

• 2004 Rohan Davey (R4 #117), Jim Miller

• 2003 Damon Huard, Davey, Kliff Kingsbury (R6 #201)

• 2002 Huard, Davey

• 2001 Drew Bledsoe, Huard

Pretty much a "Who's Who" of Who Did They Draft?

http://www.patriots.com/team/historical-roster

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/05/04/adam-jones-patriots-quarterbacks-drafted-by-bill-belichick/

Everyone seems to forget that football is a team sport. Unless the Browns got their own version of Matt Ryan and Julio Jones, Gabriel was not going to flourish in Cleveland. Put another way, Gabriel had the season he did with Atlanta because he was with Atlanta. He would not have had that season in Cleveland.

He had Jones as the #1 and Sanu as the #2.....plus outstanding pass catching RBs Freeman and Coleman. So, yes, Garbriel was going to get little attention from opposing defenses who probably had at best their #4 cornerback covering him.

I think the Browns trade their 33 for Garop, nobody is going to give

a first rounder. and the Browns still have their second pick in that round.

That means that the Browns might trade down with the Bears to 3. The Bears

need Trubisky, the Niners might draft a qb or pick Allen...

and the Browns would still get Garrett, assuming he's their guy. So, they draft

Garrett at 3, Howard at 12, a top cb at 3 in the second round, and an

OT with the second pick in the second round.

That would be genius. Then, who knows. maybe Foreman, rb in the third.... or

a fs....

That wouldn't be bad but I think Trubisky will be better than Goropollo. G is okay but with Brady being toward the end of his career if G was worth it NE would find a way to keep him in house. When Brady leaves that franchise is toast without a Qb. If they don't want him, I would be suspicious. I think we might find our Franchise QB in Trubisky whereas I see G as just another QB in a long line of Cleveland QBs.

Defense wins championships.

Look at Houston this year. The QB situation was a mess and still they gave NE a game in the wildcard.

Yes, it usually does- no argument about that point.

I would try to avoid another Farve vs Rodgers distraction if it was me.

Should Belichick trade Brady? Ghoolie says that he is all done. Shit. He was the very first to notice it. Maybe Ghoolie is right.

You Pats fans NEED a distraction for a change. If Pats fans believe that's the scenario- you keep Garropolo- it's a no brainer.

BTW- I've brought this up (maybe not in this thread) but if the 49ers could trade Joe Montana with Steve Young waiting in the wings- can't happen in NE? The fans riot you say? Bill cut hometown hero Bernie Kosar- since history shows Bill would ax his mother if he thought it would help the team, I wouldn't put it outside of the realm of possibility. Enough of this pussyfooting around Garropolo- he puts Brady on the market, he gets a WAY better return on his coveted draft picks. Now why isn't that in your many scenarios?

Speaking of- I just thought of a potential Browns doozie. Cleveland trades out of the #12 pick to a team in the mid 20s- and gets a future #1 for their trouble. Then they trade #25 to the Pats for Garropolo, flipping the #25 and #32, and give the Pats a future third, maybe the bonus second 2018 from the Eagles. I could live with that.

Flipping #12 and #32 doesn't get it done for me- I want plenty of extra compensation from the Patriots.

No

The 2015 Broncos had P Manning who was a shell of his former self. Look at his SB stats.

The 2012 Ravens had Flacco. Not a great QB.

The 2002 Buccaneers had Brad Johnson. Not a great QB.

The 1991 Redskins had M Rypien. Not a great QB.

The 1990 Giants had Hostetler. Not a great QB.

The 1987 Giants had Simms. Not a great QB.

I was basically just going back to the year 2000...but yes, some of those teams did not have great QBs....though I might disagree on Flacco and Simms. In those particular years, they played some of the best QB of their careers....even if their overall careers are not considered "great".

So, OK, you came up with a handful of not great QBs. On the other hand....there are probably just as many or more where a not great defense was brought along by a great QB.

All post 2000

The Seahwaks are a SB contender because of .... Defense. Its debatable if Wilson is great. He is obviously good.

The Steeler teams played great defense and ran the football until recently where Todd Haley brought the AZ Cards passing offense to Pitt where they ziltch Super Bowls to show for it. Todd Haley was on the losing end of their last Super Bowl win.

The Jets might have won at least 1 Super Bowl if they had a decent QB. A top defense got them in consecutive AFCC one game away from Super Bowls.

Defense wins championships and will get you to the big championship assuming you have a decent QB.

Yeah, defense still counts more than some think. Just ask Aaron Rodgers what stopped his hot streak in Atlanta.

The year Wilson QB'd them to a SB Championship the defense gave him a great margin of error in terms of how many points he often needed to win and how many turnovers they set him up with ideal field position with.

He also had Marshawn Lynch as an ideal workhorse at RB to lean on.

All that said, he had 2 young undrafted WRs with an average TE while dealing with some very suspect pass pro upfront. His ability to escape trouble while keeping his eyes down field with the accuracy to hit them was as unique as it was fun to watch from a QB that young into his career. He also had the ability to run when. if he noticed DBs/LBs had their backs to him in coverage. He's been to 2 SBs and frequented playoffs in comparison to all those that were drafted ahead of him like Luck, RG3,Tannehill, and Weeden. And I agree Seattle's defense has been very helpful to that.

I'm willing to call him a great QB based on all the things I liked hearing about him. He was a film junkie/study animal that helped him exceed the learning curve. He's always poised. He's created a lot of his luck and if you look at how much he has gotten out of his WRs that aren't high round gotta-haves - he's exemplified making everyone around him better. Plus, the only other Qb in his QB class that could have taken his Seattle team as far as he has would be Andrew Luck IMO. I think Luck is great considering how piss poorly that GM there has protected him up front...

All post 2000

Really? Here is your list:

The 1991 Redskins had M Rypien. Not a great QB.

The 1990 Giants had Hostetler. Not a great QB.

The 1987 Giants had Simms. Not a great QB.

Unless you are doing the time warp, the last time I looked, the 1980s and 1990s came before 2000.

The Seahwaks are a SB contender because of .... Defense. Its debatable if Wilson is great. He is obviously good.

The Steeler teams played great defense and ran the football until recently where Todd Haley brought the AZ Cards passing offense to Pitt where they ziltch Super Bowls to show for it. Todd Haley was on the losing end of their last Super Bowl win.

The Jets might have won at least 1 Super Bowl if they had a decent QB. A top defense got them in consecutive AFCC one game away from Super Bowls.

Defense wins championships and will get you to the big championship assuming you have a decent QB.

Well, lets look at this:

The following QBs who won Super Bowls are currently in the HOF, or are pretty much no brainers for the HOF:

Bart Starr, Joe Namath, Len Dawson, John Unitas, Bob Griese, Terry Bradshaw, Ken Stabler, Roger Staubach, Joe Montana, Steve Young, Troy Aikman, Brett Favre, John Elway, Kurt Warner.....and the no brainers Tom Brady, Ben R. Drew Brees, Peyton Manning,

To date, they have won 36 of the 51 SBs that have been played.

QBs who won SBs who are not in the HOF: Jim Plunkett, Joe Theisman, Jim McMahon, Phil Simms, Jeff Hostetler, Mark Rypien, Doug Williams, Trent Dilfer, Brad Johnson, They have won 10 SBs.

The jury is out on these SB winning QBS: Eli Manning, Joe Flacco, Russell Wilson. I think the chances of these guys getting in are like 50/50....and they each have some career left to go. I think Eli gets in. If either of the others wins another title, I think they would be shoe ins.

Of the QBs in that second group, there are some that, while not HOF, can be said to have been among the best QB playing in their day.

And of those: McMahon, Dilfer, Johnson....yes, they had perhaps 3 of the 5 greatest defenses ever in the SB era....and actuall with Simms and Hoss....those Giants defenses could be said to be in the Top 5 defenses in the SB era.

So...what is left: Plunkett...two time winner, and the Joe Gibbs coached QBs: Theisman/Rypien/Williams. Joe Gibbs, with that accomplishment truly has to be considered one of the best coaches ever. His teams were just solid all around....not dominated by defense, not dominated by offense.

So....in my view....only 3 times in history have we had a SB won by a team where defense absolutely controlled without the help of a great or near great QB.

So, do this.....list the teams with the 5 greatest defenses of the Super Bowl era.

Above I have essentially listed 4:

1985 Bears,

2000 Ravens,

2002 Bucs,

and the 1986-1990 Giants with LT etc.

The other one would have to be the 1970s Steel Curtain.

Any other candidates?

( I know...off topic...but WTF!)

Peyton Manning was lucky to win 1 SB Indy. Why? He had no defense in Indy and it took a great Denver defense for Manning to get his 2nd ring.

Ahhh.... but if you remember one of the biggest stories of Indy's 2006 post-season was the way their D stepped it up. The only shoot-out they were in was the Conference Championship vs. your Pats.

So Defense was still a major factor. It was simply not a season-long factor in the case of the '06 Colts.

You're welcome...

Archived